Can't we just have a maxed toon?

As the title says, what is wrong with letting the player base have some toons maxed out so they can focus on the less-popular too s (I'm looking at you, CUP-lol)?
I've been playing since December 3, and I would say I'm classified as a dolphin level spender. I have several toons now that are seven stars, level 80, I think I have one toon at max gear.
Every time I hit a cap where I can focus on "outside the meta" toons, something changes. First, the level cap hit 70 (just as I hit 60), then the cap went to 80, next was higher raid gear. And now we are introducing Mods. It almost seems that, despite wanting us to collect them all, EA wants us to keep working on the same toons (which personally I find very boring).
Right now, if my adding is correct, we have 84 playable toons. There are also 92 other toons (53 already appearing as non-playable, 32 in datamined, and 7 "Rebels" characters that just have names in the datamined info).
I'm curious to know what others think. This game is only 8 months old ... Would we be able to make a request to stop increasing the "cap" for a while and just focus on collecting and working on some toons, so that we do have a chance to complete things like Galactic War, which require a large bench? I know that there will be people saying "cash grab" (which I don't disagree with, whole-heartedly), but I'm looking for constructive comments, please.

Replies

• Alexone
    3646 posts Member
    Options
    I don't know how mods will be implemented yet, but how i feel about it right now from what i've read and heard from others, i think level 90 would have been a better option. As well as grinding forever to get gear to gear level 15. Might be completely wrong, but i doubt it...Level 15 mods sorted by rarity. Right...
  • RogueHS
    148 posts Member
    Options
    This is the turn off for whales that are leaving from what I've gathered. Everyone wants an end game even though it's unlikely 99% of the player base would ever reach it. They effectively made no chance at end game with this update, daring whales to double down on their purchases.
  • Options
    @Alexone, I agree with you on perhaps raising the cap to 90 would be better (at least we wouldn't be grinding through an all-new system of leveling) however, not until fall at the earliest, just because the player base needs that time to breathe a bit.
    @RogueHS, I think you hit the nail right on the head, and drove it straight through the wood. What I think is important is some sense of completion, be it in collecting the toons you want, hitting the "complete" stage on characters, where you can sit there and say "OK, I'm finished with this toon. Who's next?" As for whales, this is the whole reason I believe they spend as much as they do, and I can't blame them for leaving. EA played a "Double or Nothing" card, and when you do, sometimes you get nothing.
    Thanks for the replies. I'm always looking for a bit more insight :)
  • Palanthian
    1262 posts Member
    Options
    This is precisely it. Mods will ensure you have never completed your toon. There will always be an elusive mod with slightly better stats which could improve it.

EA want you to keep chasing the impossible and spending as you do it.

The carrot is being moved further in front of the donkey to keep the donkey plodding forward. The danger of moving the carrot too far ahead is that the donkey might just deem it unobtainable and wander off somewhere else.

Donkey/whale, what's the difference.
  • Tommylew
    144 posts Member
    Options
    I'm quite happy in a safistic way that even whales are getting rightly annoyed! Try being F2P this will hurt us even more, with all these events coming out I just wish they left everything alone, how can we level loads of different groups o characters and now farm mods as well! What a joke!
  • RogueHS
    148 posts Member
    Options
    I always refer back to Clash of Clans for freemium examples because they have been around a long time. Supercell introduced a townhall 11 a while back, but that was because the whales had been max townhall 10 for quite a while and were starting to get bored/leave out of boredom.

Mods are "townhall 11" for this game, the problem being the spendiest of whales hadn't had "max townhall 10" yet. You can't extend end game content when the high rollers haven't even maxxed out. That just results in your ENTIRE player base being left angry and used.
  • Drastik
    47 posts Member
    Options
    I think mods are a good idea but may be a bit premature. I for one would like VIP levels. I'm not a whale but i have spent a little money on this game and would like to be rewarded for it. Be it extra free energy refreshes or double rewards from GW and arena etc. SOMETHING.

Other than that I'd like to see more content for earning credits that doesnt involve needing obscure characters to clear the event like in the empire or scoundrels event. (btw STH should count as a scoundrel!) That's the bottle neck for me and seems to be for quite a few others.
  • EM650
    1120 posts Member
    Options
    As the title says, what is wrong with letting the player base have some toons maxed out so they can focus on the less-popular too s (I'm looking at you, CUP-lol)?
    I've been playing since December 3, and I would say I'm classified as a dolphin level spender. I have several toons now that are seven stars, level 80, I think I have one toon at max gear.
    Every time I hit a cap where I can focus on "outside the meta" toons, something changes. First, the level cap hit 70 (just as I hit 60), then the cap went to 80, next was higher raid gear. And now we are introducing Mods. It almost seems that, despite wanting us to collect them all, EA wants us to keep working on the same toons (which personally I find very boring).
    Right now, if my adding is correct, we have 84 playable toons. There are also 92 other toons (53 already appearing as non-playable, 32 in datamined, and 7 "Rebels" characters that just have names in the datamined info).
    I'm curious to know what others think. This game is only 8 months old ... Would we be able to make a request to stop increasing the "cap" for a while and just focus on collecting and working on some toons, so that we do have a chance to complete things like Galactic War, which require a large bench? I know that there will be people saying "cash grab" (which I don't disagree with, whole-heartedly), but I'm looking for constructive comments, please.

Heaven forbid you actually felt like you accomplished something in this game.