LD presents: Raid rewards exploit explained

Prev13
Greetings Heroes -

We’ve had a number of PM’s and seen some posts indicating that players are a bit confused about how we handled the recent incident relating to some players being able to collect extra Raid rewards. Jesse posted about this exploit here: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/49835/raid-reward-exploit-discussion#latest

We’ve been hard at work cleaning up this mess, and I wanted to share what we did.

When we first ran our analysis, we reported that 1,271 players collected three or more times. As we dug into it, we found there were a number of “false positives” and so the number actually turned out to be lower than that.

9 accounts remain banned as they have items (rhymes with San Holo) that are proving difficult to remove safely.

Adjustments were made to nearly 750 accounts. (at about 15 minutes per account this took a long time to sort...thanks for that.)

Most of the accounts adjusted saw their credits, guild currency, and gear amounts dramatically changed (it was different for every player so this process was done manually, adding up the items gained for the specific raid collected and then making adjustments 1 account at a time.) In some cases the raid rewards were no longer in the players inventory, in these cases we got creative and used other items to equal the amount / value of the reward items (e.g. 1 million credits is approximately equal to 1000 crystals…).

It is important to note that while accounts were adjusted for rewards, they were not adjusted in terms of raid stats on the player’s account page in game… this is resulting in many accounts having inflated raid completion numbers. This is in turn making some players think the player with the inflated raid complete numbers escaped adjustment. Rest assured those accounts have gained nothing from those additional completions.

Also know that banned accounts, while not active, do remain in the game. So you might find these accounts in PvP or occupying spots on guilds. They are not being actively played.

Should you see any account that you find suspicious, for any reason, please send a message directly to me at CG_LucifersDaddy . ALL suspicious activity reports are investigated.

Once I set my gaze upon thee.... good luck!

LD

Replies

• Keep up the good work
  • KeKattia
    1118 posts Member
    Thanks for the explanation
  • Thanks, LD.

I appreciate the insight.
  • Thank you for the transparency.
  • Courier
    120 posts Member
    Thanks for the explanation LD. Appreciate it.

While you're here please look at third party app/modified swgoh apk that being used to amplify damage in raids.
  • Aarcher
    138 posts Member
    This should probably be stickied as an Announcement no? People will want to see this
    942-122-371
  • Powda
    525 posts Member
    1000 crystals = 1M credits? Not sure what game you're talking about, but I'd happily trade credits for crystals at a 1000 / 1 ratio.

Abusers getting off lucky with 1M credit / 1000 crystal ratio. Should be more like 5 or 10M credits.
  • Rumpelstilzchen
    1754 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    You could have just cursed them.. but always the long way home..
  • Rock on man! While not all appreciate what you guys do (looking at Reddit right now) I certainly do. Thank you.
    "When the dust settles, the only thing living in this world will be metal."
  • pac0naut
    3236 posts Member
    Thank you LD!!!! The community appreciates the communication!
    Meanwhile, down on the farm....
  • C3POwn
    507 posts Member
    Powda wrote: »
    1000 crystals = 1M credits? Not sure what game you're talking about, but I'd happily trade credits for crystals at a 1000 / 1 ratio.

Abusers getting off lucky with 1M credit / 1000 crystal ratio. Should be more like 5 or 10M credits.

That's not what he meant @Powda . What he's saying is some abusers had 1000 crystals taken away for every 1M in extra credits they received and spent..
  • Divona
    117 posts Member
    Thanks for making fair play for all of us. I also sent report today would be nice to investigate it as it happened recently @CG_LucifersDaddy

• Powda
    525 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    C3POwn wrote: »
    Powda wrote: »

That's not what he meant @Powda . What he's saying is some abusers had 1000 crystals taken away for every 1M in extra credits they received and spent..

Ooooohh... Then yup. CG went the right way with it. Well done.
  • Yeah, i think most of the grievances that we all have are with Management. I feel that the Devs are doing the best they can while falling in line with what management is telling them to do...
  • Seknos
    306 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Very good job taking care of that problem LD. I have some questions though ?
    In some cases the raid rewards were no longer in the players inventory, in these cases we got creative and used other items to equal the amount / value of the reward items (e.g. 1 million credits is approximately equal to 1000 crystals…).

If a player lets say had extra furnaces, droid callers, security scanners and nubian design by taking advantage of this exploit, but had all those items equipped on his characters and on an different gear level.
    Were you able in that case to remove those items or forced to subtract 1400 crystals for each item ?

Because if those players have those items equipped they benefit an extra power that they can use in raid, arena, galactic war and therefor have an unfair advantage compare to those players.

Subtracting those crystals would not compensate that in my opinion.

• @CG_LucifersDaddy Do you intend to change (reduce) the inflated raid completion number and guild currency earned so that players are no longer suspicious of the accounts you took care of?
  • Thalara
    22 posts Member
    So if i understand correctly you left all equipped Raid Gear on those account and removed crystals for it which can easily be bought back and they can have an unfair advantage on all others legitimate players.
    Oh nice of you!!!
  • C3POwn
    507 posts Member
    Seknos wrote: »
    Very good job taking care of that problem LD. I have some questions though ?
    In some cases the raid rewards were no longer in the players inventory, in these cases we got creative and used other items to equal the amount / value of the reward items (e.g. 1 million credits is approximately equal to 1000 crystals…).

If a player lets say had extra furnaces, droid callers, security scanners and nubian design by taking advantage of this exploit, but had all those items equipped on his characters and on an different gear level.
    Were you able in that case to remove those items or were forced to subtract 1400 crystals for each item ?

Because if those players have those items equipped they benefit an extra power that they can use in raid, arena, galactic war and therefor have an unfair advantage compare to those players.

Subtracting those crystals would not compensate that in my opinion.

My understanding is that's exactly what they did regarding equipped gear when the player had a large enough crystal balance. I'm curious what action was taken when the player didn't have enough crystals to cover the gear or credits. @CG_LucifersDaddy can you elaborate on that please?
  • Seknos
    306 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Edited
  • to be clear.. the crystal substitution was only used in place of credits and guild currency when needed. the gear issue is different.. sometimes, for example imagine that 10 mk5 scanners gained were already used... so this is where I get creative and would for example take 10-15 pieces of mk6 gear to compensate... or as often was the case, the gear they gained was used, but they had since then gained those quantities again, so those were removed, plus a few extra for good measure.

And no inventory items are off limits.. On the rare occasion I zapped the training droids, ability mats, or sim tickets to compensate.

I feel very confident that the removal was enough to serve as a deterrence should these sorts of exploits be live in the future.

LD
  • Seknos
    306 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    for example imagine that 10 mk5 scanners gained were already used... so this is where I get creative and would for example take 10-15 pieces of mk6 gear to compensate... or as often was the case, the gear they gained was used, but they had since then gained those quantities again, so those were removed, plus a few extra for good measure.

LD

So you tried to compensate as stated above with what was available on that account. But what happened to those who took such a tremendous advantage of the exploit that it was impossible to compensate ?
    If those items are equipped on 15 characters, they might not have crystals anymore but they still possess an unfair advantage on other players.
  • Thalara
    22 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    "And no inventory items are off limits.. On the rare occasion I zapped the training droids, ability mats, or sim tickets to compensate."

I'm sure those who ve all their toons at level 80 with all abilities at 8 are crushed that you removed their training droids and ability mats in exchange of Raid Gear.

I've a few Training Droids that i don't use can i ve Raid Gear for them?
  • removing gear, credits, shards, even resetting a character are all options available to me... however completely removing a character presents special problems.

As such those that gained enough Han shards to create a Han Solo, and did so before I got to them are still banned. they will stay this way until after the update and I can get the engineers needed to properly adjust these 9 accounts.

Outside of the character creation issue, I did not find any accounts that I could not find a way to properly adjust... this is the main reason it took so long.. if it wasn't for teh need to get creative and find equivalent items this could have been done in a more automated fashion.

LD
  • Doga
    808 posts Member
    Thanks LD
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Kudos for the effort at dealing with exploiters and also at communicating with us. Thanks.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • I think you are making assumptions about unique cases that paints a very inaccurate picture. Again, the reason this took so long was because of the need to look at each account.

Every case was different and presented special circumstances to consider, like level, hero count, raid type...

LD
  • dbraba01
    268 posts Member
    Thank you for following through and communicating with us.
    Broncos Forever in the game
    666-716-133
  • Darth_Malak
    577 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    @CG_LucifersDaddy
    I think its handled well. I know first hand that you guys are taking such things very seroius. Sooooooo How about the patch notes now? :)))))))))
  • Asic
    1146 posts Member
    Greetings Heroes -

Adjustments were made to nearly 750 accounts. (at about 15 minutes per account this took a long time to sort...thanks for that.).

You are welcome? Huh?
    And no inventory items are off limits.. On the rare occasion I zapped the training droids, ability mats, or sim tickets to compensate.

Gotta feel bad for that guy losing his sim tickets and keeping his raid gear.
    .. sometimes, for example imagine that 10 mk5 scanners gained were already used... so this is where I get creative and would for example take 10-15 pieces of mk6 gear to compensate... or as often was the case, the gear they gained was used, but they had since then gained those quantities again, so those were removed, plus a few extra for good measure.

Or losing all those mk5 Nubians while he keeps mk6 Nubian raid gear.
  • Your work is much appreciated, LD. Thanks for that!
This discussion has been closed.