Do we need to be able to acquire heroes faster?

Aeris
29 posts Member
edited January 2016
Below are some details for reference.
Character locations:

10 characters from galactic war shipment;
12 characters from squad arena shipment;
10 characters from cantina shipment;
8 characters from cantina missions;
10 characters from only LS/DS missions.

Time requirement:

galactic war shipment:
22 days per 7*hero Speed: 15 shards/day

squad arena shipment:
30 days per 7*hero Speed: 11 shards/day

cantina shipment:
44 days per 7*hero(refresh 2 times) Speed:7.5 shards/day
66 days per 7*hero(refresh 1 time) Speed:5 shards/day
132 days per 7*hero(refresh 0 time) Speed: 2.5 shards/day

cantina missions:
30 days per 7*hero(refresh 2 times) Speed: 11 shards/day
44 days per 7*hero(refresh 1 time) Speed: 7.5 shards/day
88 days per 7*hero(refresh 0 time) Speed: 3.75 shards/day
LS/DS missions:
Acquiring
2 heroes at once(each refresh 2 times): 55 days per 2 7*hero Speed: (6shards)*2/day
2 heroes at once(each refresh 1 time): 82.5 days per 2 7*hero Speed: (4shards)*2/day
2 heroes at once(each refresh 0 time): 185 days per 2 7*hero Speed: (2shards)*2/day

Daily cost:
mission energy refresh 2 times: 100 crystal
Cantina energy refresh 1-2 time: 100-200 crystal
Mission refresh 1-2 times for 2 heroes: 50*4~50*4+100*4=200~600crystal
Total daily cost: 0~900 crystal
My opinion:
I wish shards dropped from LS/DS mission could increase from average 1/3 to 2/3,
or
LS/DS-mission-only characters(such as Jedi Knight Anakin, Ima-Gun Di, General Veers, Rey, etc.) added to shipments, so that we could acquire them 2 times speed of we can currently: 2 heroes for 41.25 days, instead of currently 2 heroes for 82.5 days.
and
finally, cantina-shipment-only characters(currently FOO, Poe) were also farmable in other location so that each of them took 33 days instead of currently 66 days.

Replies

• Considering that I just went zero-for-21 on shard farming, my pace is currently significantly slower than even what you indicated, so yes, I'd say it's a bit too slow. :)
  • I don't think we need to get them faster, they just need to be more even. The current meta is decided by availability. Jedi Knight Anakin and Rey are both good characters, yet neither is ever used because they take too long to get when compared to Luminara and Phasma. If all characters took roughly the same amount of time to farm, teams would actually be created based on synergy instead of availability.
  • Ring
    559 posts Member
    If all characters took roughly the same amount of time to farm, teams would actually be created based on synergy instead of availability.

THIS.

Most teams are identical or very similar not because they use powerful characters, but because there's little else available at that point. Phasma is not the leader of my team because she's so amazing, but because out of the characters I have, she's the one who is the most useful. I would like to have someone else in that role, but whom should I use, the Geo Soldier? Ewoks?
  • Ztyle
    1970 posts Member
    Yes but not to fast, still have to have a game out of it and with 71 toons and more comming just around the corner, they need to do somthing so not just mega spenders can get a broad selection of toons, that are leveled and geared to usefullness, ofcourse the more you spend the faster you get toons, thats just how the buisness model works
    I'm Danish , Leader of the Space Slug Alliance , living the SlugLife , My collection
  • I was thinking a good compromise would be to keep the shard drop as it is, but drop everyone's shard requirement by 5.

So instead of unlocking at 25 - make it 20, instead of 50 - 45, etc.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    If all characters took roughly the same amount of time to farm, teams would actually be created based on synergy instead of availability.

I made this point within 3 days of hard launch, that we would end up with cookie-cutter builds due to availability trumping imagination. And that's where we are. I don't expect anyone upstairs is listening, sadly, because this inequity in farming time is why impatient people spend $3000 on chromium packs. Follow the money...
    That said, in a year when there are hopefully 120+ chars instead of 70, and there's been enough time to farm even the slow guys, maybe things will look different.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Ring
    559 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Qeltar wrote: »
    That said, in a year when there are hopefully 120+ chars instead of 70

At which point most players will have 30-40 characters, the majority of which will be from the original release, because given the choice between upgrading the characters that we already have and going after completely new ones, most people will choose the former. So basically at that point we'll be where we should be today.
  • Are you joking?
    Asking EA to do so?
    They get the permit from Lucasfilm time to earn big money the employer won't do so and employee can't do so

The wrong decision for you to love Star Wars
  • Aeris
    29 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    I don't think we need to get them faster, they just need to be more even. The current meta is decided by availability. Jedi Knight Anakin and Rey are both good characters, yet neither is ever used because they take too long to get when compared to Luminara and Phasma. If all characters took roughly the same amount of time to farm, teams would actually be created based on synergy instead of availability.

I suppose so. Some characters are much slower to acquire than others, as a result, there aren't enough characters to create a team or teams based on synergy; on the other hand, I think acquiring characters in general takes too much time: not days or weeks, but month after month.
    For that reason, I think those very slowly-acquired characters such as LS/DS-only characters (Jedi Knight Anakin, Ima-Gun Di, Rey) as well as cantina shipment-only characters(FOO, Poe) need to be faster in order to sychronize with the speed of those that are in galactic war or squad arena shipments.
  • HanSlowMo
    235 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    The way the current game is set up, to take a single character to 7* it's give or take 300 shards (for some). Refreshing nodes and energy on some characters (lets take ewok elder for instance: 1 node available now, eventually 2) would take over 50-70 days to fully 7* a hero...and thats focusing JUST on that ONE hero for a couple refreshes and all stamina going to him. No gear. No other characters. Just the Elder. And thats spending ~400 crystals a day (depending on the pack you buy between $3-4 dollars a day). So if you were to break that down EVEN further. Say you LOVED ewok elder...and wanted him bad. It's going to cost you approx $150-200 in a ~2 month span to have him fully 7* doing it at a REASONABLE RATE. Free to play expect to at least triple that time. 6 months...for ONE hero. This of course doesn't take into consideration the lucky bronze packs or splurging on some chromiums.

"But they don't want you to have everything 7* right away!" Well duh of course not...they want you to buy packs (which until they change is pretty horrible) or bundles. Thats where the whole $99 argument comes into play for bundles and if it's worth it, which you aren't even getting the full hero, and you STILL have to spend after to farm him up reasonably. I'd love to see something like Riot did with LoL. You want a hero....ok, $20 bucks for the full champion. You want to farm him? Ok, it will take about a week or two but you get the whole guy. With 60 champions and hopefully PLENTY more coming, creating a full experience for users by letting people play how they want breeds competition, imagination for team comps, and a THRIVING community. Or we can all play our 7* Sids for the next 9 months, get bored and move on.

Believe me I'm not a whiner about money or spending on this game it just seems a little TOO much at this point to get anything or ACTUALLY play the game and try different team comps or setups.

Of course they are going with a tried and true method as other games....buy heroes, or play the 10-20 super easy ones everyone already has. I feel like I'm not even experiencing this game at all. I feel like whenever I walk into a pvp match it's basically a: Sid, Dooku, JC, Lumi simulator...

*all maths and guestimations done in this reply were just in brain calculations, no real science was involved. But I'd love to see someone break it down properly based on a 20-30% shard drop rate.
  • I was thinking the same thing. I'm not sure how they plan to release characters or how often. Let's look at similar game and how they approach acquiring characters. MCOC followed a similar approach but they stuck with the 1,2,3,4 and 5* tier character model. While 1* and 2* were easy to acquire 3* and 4* took a little longer. With dedication and grinding you could get 3* and 4* characters faster than this game.

Injustice followed a very different model. Injustice started with a similar character pool but you could buy packs more frequent and buy characters for a higher price. CG other game HODA was also similar to injustice but had a larger character pool and didn't offer individual characters for sell.

• I think the pace is fine depending on if you want to pay or not. You can pay to refresh energy or buy packs to get them now and geared faster, or if you choose to be completely free, it will take longer. The game is only 2 months old (worldwide- not pre release), so completely free accounts should not have an entire roster by now, or they will need to be releasing new characters every week to keep up with them. In another 2 months, there would be hundreds of characters and newer players would be overwhelmed with the options of which characters to get and how to build their team. If you could aquire heroes faster, then why would people pay to refill energy or buy packs? The developers would need to be releasing new characters much quicker, and have less people spending money- not a good business plan. For one, I actually like the current pace and it gives me an incentive to keep playing as I enjoy collecting and starring/gearing up new heroes. If I had everyone at 7* and gear 7, I would probably quit.
  • Mittens wrote: »
    I think the pace is fine depending on if you want to pay or not. You can pay to refresh energy or buy packs to get them now and geared faster, or if you choose to be completely free, it will take longer. The game is only 2 months old (worldwide- not pre release), so completely free accounts should not have an entire roster by now, or they will need to be releasing new characters every week to keep up with them. In another 2 months, there would be hundreds of characters and newer players would be overwhelmed with the options of which characters to get and how to build their team. If you could aquire heroes faster, then why would people pay to refill energy or buy packs? The developers would need to be releasing new characters much quicker, and have less people spending money- not a good business plan. For one, I actually like the current pace and it gives me an incentive to keep playing as I enjoy collecting and starring/gearing up new heroes. If I had everyone at 7* and gear 7, I would probably quit.

Based on the small fast math from above (still would love someone to do a breakdown) the example was 2 months for 1 character, also by being an average spender in the game (3-4 dollars a day, around 90 bucks a MONTH). So obtaining one character in 2 months fully geared, and spending $90 to do it...out of SIXTY characters is a good pace for you? What if you spend all that time getting that hero and don't enjoy it, or it wasn't what you wanted, or became obsolete a month after you get it from a new character release. The pacing in this game is terrible, and definitely one of the most expensive iap games I've seen with very little reward for the money.
  • Yes
  • Ring wrote: »
    Qeltar wrote: »
    That said, in a year when there are hopefully 120+ chars instead of 70

At which point most players will have 30-40 characters, the majority of which will be from the original release, because given the choice between upgrading the characters that we already have and going after completely new ones, most people will choose the former. So basically at that point we'll be where we should be today.

There's one thing that scares me about the road ahead, and the introduction of new characters. I hope that they keep a relative balance between existing characters and new ones in terms of effectiveness. I don't want to see Yoda, for example, be the first in a wave of new characters that far eclipse *any* existing character. Then characters that have synergy with him are released and they eclipse anything currently in play, and so on. Then add that these characters are pack only, with no way to farm them.

Can't happen? Yes it can, and is the reason I stopped playing the mobile game I've referenced in the forum previously

• @HanSlowMo
    Stop with those ridiculous calculations. People farm multiple characters/shards a day. It's not 1 character each month also, goes faster depending on who you go for first.
    Today kids want everything instantly. Patience is a virtue.
    439-259-888 I have a bad habit of editing my typo's after posting
  • Playing one month now with 4 fully geared 7* and some 6*/5* so I really can't see where you get that info from.
    439-259-888 I have a bad habit of editing my typo's after posting
  • HanSlowMo wrote: »
    Mittens wrote: »
    I think the pace is fine depending on if you want to pay or not. You can pay to refresh energy or buy packs to get them now and geared faster, or if you choose to be completely free, it will take longer. The game is only 2 months old (worldwide- not pre release), so completely free accounts should not have an entire roster by now, or they will need to be releasing new characters every week to keep up with them. In another 2 months, there would be hundreds of characters and newer players would be overwhelmed with the options of which characters to get and how to build their team. If you could aquire heroes faster, then why would people pay to refill energy or buy packs? The developers would need to be releasing new characters much quicker, and have less people spending money- not a good business plan. For one, I actually like the current pace and it gives me an incentive to keep playing as I enjoy collecting and starring/gearing up new heroes. If I had everyone at 7* and gear 7, I would probably quit.

Based on the small fast math from above (still would love someone to do a breakdown) the example was 2 months for 1 character, also by being an average spender in the game (3-4 dollars a day, around 90 bucks a MONTH). So obtaining one character in 2 months fully geared, and spending $90 to do it...out of SIXTY characters is a good pace for you? What if you spend all that time getting that hero and don't enjoy it, or it wasn't what you wanted, or became obsolete a month after you get it from a new character release. The pacing in this game is terrible, and definitely one of the most expensive iap games I've seen with very little reward for the money.

Yes, I still believe the pacing is fine. There are even many posts about F2P holding rank 1 (or top 10 at least) in arena. You can also play a character before it is 7* and max gear with good results. No, I wouldn't be happy to spend 2 months playing to get a character to 7* and max gear just to find out I didn't like it. But also, I would have done research to find out if that character is good, and what I can expect BEFORE I ventured out to max it. The "2 months" isn't just for 1 character. You would have Maxed others as well without competing for shards. For example you can farm Sid and Lumi at the same time using different currency and both would be 7* about the same time. So if it did take 2 months, I wouldn't have just gotten 1 character, I would have gotten 2. And that is if I ONLY focused on those 2 characters. What about all the others I would get from bronzium, the occasional chromium, cantina, etc? even going by the above math, you would have a lot more than 6 max characters in a year playing. My opinion, as does yours, is still the same. I believe it's fine, you may not. We are both entitled to our own opinions.
  • CronozNL wrote: »
    Playing one month now with 4 fully geared 7* and some 6*/5* so I really can't see where you get that info from.

The calulations aren't THAT far off for some of the characters...do them yourself based on a %30 drop rate of shards. Sure everyone has some 7*'s, thats the POINT, everyone has the SAME ones. What fun is that?

Let me guess, your 7* heroes are: Sid, Dooku, Lumi, JC...maybe chewie? lol, join the club, everyone and their grandma has those...

You guys are missing the point...this is excluding the GW / squad. How long until you are bored playing: Lumi, Sid, ect. ect. ect. After two months and thats really all I EVER see...still. By this time there should be far more diversity in the game, especially with 60 playable characters and more coming.

• HanSlowMo wrote: »
    CronozNL wrote: »
    Playing one month now with 4 fully geared 7* and some 6*/5* so I really can't see where you get that info from.

The calulations aren't THAT far off for some of the characters...do them yourself based on a %30 drop rate of shards. Sure everyone has some 7*'s, thats the POINT, everyone has the SAME ones. What fun is that? It isn't and it doesn't force a large competitive community which drives games for years.

Let me guess, your 7* heroes are: Sid, Dooku, Lumi, JC...maybe chewie? lol, join the club, everyone and their grandma has those...and it's really the only thing representative in arena / gw with a few random here and there.

You guys are missing the point...this is excluding the GW / squad. How long until you are bored playing: Lumi, Sid, ect. ect. ect. After two months and thats really all I EVER see...still. By this time there should be far more diversity in the game, especially with 60 playable characters and more coming.

• Well, based on my current weekly average for getting Rey shards, it's going to take me til the third week of August to unlock her and get her to 5* So yeah, I'd like that to go a little faster.
  • Mittens wrote: »
    I think the pace is fine depending on if you want to pay or not. You can pay to refresh energy or buy packs to get them now and geared faster, or if you choose to be completely free, it will take longer. The game is only 2 months old (worldwide- not pre release), so completely free accounts should not have an entire roster by now, or they will need to be releasing new characters every week to keep up with them. In another 2 months, there would be hundreds of characters and newer players would be overwhelmed with the options of which characters to get and how to build their team.
    If completely free player had acquired a team of 5 characters at 7* since global launch(November 25th, 2015), their single team of characters, as 5/80 of total characters, would cause developer to release new characters? I'm not so sure about that, but could you explain a little more?
    If you could aquire heroes faster, then why would people pay to refill energy or buy packs? The developers would need to be releasing new characters much quicker, and have less people spending money- not a good business plan.

In a general sense, I guess so. I believe there should be a speed limit to keep business running. However, I'm not sure what you meant by "faster", do you mean "too fast" or "faster than the current speed of acquiring heroes"? Because I think they are two different matters since I think the current speed of acquiring heroes is definitely not fast, let alone too fast as to cause developer to release new characters.
    For one, I actually like the current pace and it gives me an incentive to keep playing as I enjoy collecting and starring/gearing up new heroes. If I had everyone at 7* and gear 7, I would probably quit.

I think "Everyone at 7* and gear 7" was supposed to be a hyperbole, as the amount of time it takes to have "everyone at 7* and gear 7" is no less than one year and half.
    I am glad to hear your incentive to play, and I hope your incentive may advance as you advance further into the game, though I believe many players who spent a lot as to have acquired "everyone at 7* and gear 7"(multiple teams at 7* gear 7) are still playing.
    However, we are not remotely close to have "everyone at 7* and gear 7", are we?
    I only have about one team at 7* after daily playing since global launch, and you know what they are: Darth Sidious, Luminara, Dooku 6*, Talia, Old Daka.
    I want to acquire "Jedi counter team": Ima-Gun Di, Jedi Knight Anakin, etc., but two of them alone seem to take 82.5 days to acquire, let alone Ahsoka and others, and such amount of time to that purpose is a bit frustrating for me.

• I only think that LS/DS shard farming needs to be adjusted. Everything else is fine to me, although Cantina shipments is a tad slow.
  • No we don't. Pace is fine. I like that people don't have the same characters. As game evolves choices will spread out more as new people arrive.

Take Lumi and Phasma. People farmed Lumi because she was top, Phasma not available. Now a new player is divided between farming the two good chars. Same with Poe/Daka/Fives.

There will be large variety some time down the road.
  • Aeris
    29 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    HanSlowMo wrote: »

Although it is true that in order to acquire 1 7* character from LS/DS- only missions, it takes 82.5 days(2 month and half), you can acquire 2 7* characters from LS/DS- only missions at same time; on the other hand, you could also acquire characters from other 4 locations at the same time.
    However, I agree with you entirely that in order to get 1 7* characters from LS/DS- only missions, it takes 82.5 days(2 month and half), which is ridiculous; in the same way, it takes 66 days(2 month) to acquire 1 7* cantina shipment-only character(FOO, Poe), which is also painfully long.
    Like wildcat1203 said, the times for acquiring characters are not even, and they need to be more even in order to synchronize so that it would be possible to make a synergized team without having to grind for 3 months.
  • Ring
    559 posts Member
    I hope that they keep a relative balance between existing characters and new ones in terms of effectiveness.

Guess it all depends on how greedy EA and the others will be. If they overdo it, the newly-released characters will not be farmable (or have ridiculously low droprates), will be significantly overpowered (which they will justify with "we need chara ters that can stand up to existing developed teams") and will have excellent synergies, but ONLY with other new characters.

I hope they don't go the same way Marvel Puzzle Quest is going, with insane numbers of new characters released, meaning that F2P players have absolutely no chance of having a full roster due to high prices of new character slots. Here the problem might be actually getting characters other than the basic set (plus Sid, Lumi and one or two others). I'm afraid that someone starting to play in, say, April or July, will be so far behind, that they'll just give up and quit.
  • Qeltar wrote: »

I made this point within 3 days of hard launch, that we would end up with cookie-cutter builds due to availability trumping imagination. And that's where we are. I don't expect anyone upstairs is listening, sadly, because this inequity in farming time is why impatient people spend $3000 on chromium packs. Follow the money...
    That said, in a year when there are hopefully 120+ chars instead of 70, and there's been enough time to farm even the slow guys, maybe things will look different.

But newer heroes will be more powerful... We can wish, but it will be no different in a year...
  • I don't know. I think having to carefully choose where your focus is is part of the game strategy. If it was all easy there would be little reason to play. I've probably spent 100 and I have a broad selection of 36 level 60 4-7 star toons with plenty of gear. I can build a lot of teams!
  • I'm cleaning my draft box ignore this post.
  • Miss_Doll wrote: »
    Are you joking?
    Asking EA to do so?
    They get the permit from Lucasfilm time to earn big money the employer won't do so and employee can't do so

The wrong decision for you to love Star Wars

Maybe if they did a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy game instead the toons would be easier since the brand isn't as lucrative?

How much to level up Marvin the paranoid android or to fully gear a 7* Vogon?
    Watch out for the Vogon special attack: poetry.
    Ally Code: 945-699-762