My concerns about mods as a leader of a casual guild.

Remorhaz
149 posts Member
I lead a very casual guild called Fly Casual. We consist almost entirely of free to play players and started off the raid patch with a minimum level to join of 50 doing tier III and IV raids and have worked our way up to tier VI. I know, nothing special but it meant something to me because I got to see level 50 players work their up way up to being able to contribute to tier VI raids and climb in the arena and complete galactic war when they hadn't before.

On one hand mods were probably necessary because having the best gear locked behind raid content was not sustainable for the dev team. They simply wouldn't be able to create enough raids and those not in organized guilds would never be able to compete with people raiding since day 1. Mods give new players a chance to hang with everyone else without having to run heroics for months.

On the other hand the complexity of the system and suddenness of the changes in pvp, raiding and galatic war is a lot to take especially for a casual, social player. This game already teetered on being a little too complex and time consuming for its mobile nature and mods I feel have sent it over the edge into the realm of the hardcore f2p and paying players. Since the mod patch hit I've had one person quit and others voice serious concerns about if this game is for them.

In closing I'm not going to rant about mods or threaten to quit but I urge CG to develop a test server so the players can put some of these things through paces before they go live so the devs can get a clear picture of how they will effect all the types of players who like and play this game going forward.

Fly Casual!

-remorhaz

Replies

• R13D13
    34 posts Member
    Options
    One good thing about the recent changes. I found a nice little game called Cardinal Quest II to play with !
    Started playing Clash of Clans too !
  • Sarryen
    474 posts Member
    Options
    @Remorhaz the sad thing is that they did test the mod system, and ignored the feedback about it. The following quote is taken from imnotajedi's update post:

"That said, we have heard you—both good and bad. I do want to say that during the initial testing and balancing phases of these Mods, we received feedback very similar to your initial reaction, however, in almost every single case, once those players got past the “sticker shock” of the large numbers (so to speak), the feeling was that Mods really allowed for more variety in the game."
  • Hellcat
    319 posts Member
    Options
    "We consist almost entirely of free to play players..."

EA, "sorry, we lost you right there"
  • Options
    Game is going down everyday because bad decisions as now a lot of censorShip.
    Good thing about capitalism we can give ou money to anyone we want. ;-)
  • LordRath
    1032 posts Member
    Options
    Remorhaz wrote: »
    I lead a very casual guild called Fly Casual. We consist almost entirely of free to play players and started off the raid patch with a minimum level to join of 50 doing tier III and IV raids and have worked our way up to tier VI. I know, nothing special but it meant something to me because I got to see level 50 players work their up way up to being able to contribute to tier VI raids and climb in the arena and complete galactic war when they hadn't before.

On one hand mods were probably necessary because having the best gear locked behind raid content was not sustainable for the dev team. They simply wouldn't be able to create enough raids and those not in organized guilds would never be able to compete with people raiding since day 1. Mods give new players a chance to hang with everyone else without having to run heroics for months.

On the other hand the complexity of the system and suddenness of the changes in pvp, raiding and galatic war is a lot to take especially for a casual, social player. This game already teetered on being a little too complex and time consuming for its mobile nature and mods I feel have sent it over the edge into the realm of the hardcore f2p and paying players. Since the mod patch hit I've had one person quit and others voice serious concerns about if this game is for them.

In closing I'm not going to rant about mods or threaten to quit but I urge CG to develop a test server so the players can put some of these things through paces before they go live so the devs can get a clear picture of how they will effect all the types of players who like and play this game going forward.

Fly Casual!

-remorhaz

If any of your people have questions on mods can go to lordskunk.com. We put up a how to on mods that could help, and if that doesn't get you what you need can join the teamskunk discord. Links are at the top of the webpage. We have well over 1000 active players, from across all kinds of guilds that are more than willing to help. It can seem overwhelming, but once you get the basics it's not bad. Then it just becomes a cost issue and drop issue.

LordRath
  • djvita
    1684 posts Member
    Options
    Opusone wrote: »
    Remorhaz wrote: »

Fly Casual!

-remorhaz

If any of your people have questions on mods can go to lordskunk.com. We put up a how to on mods that could help, and if that doesn't get you what you need can join the teamskunk discord. Links are at the top of the webpage. We have well over 1000 active players, from across all kinds of guilds that are more than willing to help. It can seem overwhelming, but once you get the basics it's not bad. Then it just becomes a cost issue and drop issue.

LordRath

Thanks man I am a guild leader also and will pass this through out chats.
  • LordRath
    1032 posts Member
    Options
    You bet will help anyone, regardless of what guild they are in. Some really good people to find in our discord are Zurin and Maliabean, and wisemanpendle from team instinct is a huge help to the community as well and all well versed in mods