I'm pretty happy!

BMoney
264 posts Member
I know I don't speak for everyone and I see a lot of people upset, but I will say I had a blast playing with mods today.

I used 300 crystals and did 2 refreshes on cantina. And for approximately only 500K give or take, I put full level 15 Mod sets on 3 toons, and a handful on a couple other toons.

I by no means think this is the end for the free to play players out there. Everything I used today to mod my toons was basically what I make every day in daily activities, GW, and arena rewards so it cost nothing.

I have a decent arena squad that will not get pushed around by anyone, and although I did drop 40 spots this morning, I made it up in no time and haven't moved since I added mods.

Give it some time guys. I had a blast playing and learning the mod system today. This is just like the time everyone complained about protection update and wanted to quit, or complained about the Raid structure and wanted to quit. This is something new and people tend to not like new, it's built inside of us. But if you just do your dailies and do an extra cantina refresh here and there, I promise you will stay competitive.

I for one want to say great job Devs. I enjoy it. Other than the cantina energy being for both cantina battles and for mods. I still feel they should have their own energy. Other than that keep up the good work. I know you guys work hard and you are appreciated.

Replies

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    Yea, most fun i had in a while playing this game. After to update i played for 3hours straight. Maybe it will turn out to be horrible later on, but its too early to tell. Not to mention all the other improvements with the recent update ! i'm also pretty happy ;D
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Saraleb
    2070 posts Member
    I played till late last night also for a few hours and went to bed thinking it was pretty good... woke up to the carnage on here though lol

How did you find best way to gear toons with mods ? Battles or challenges ?
  • BMoney
    264 posts Member
    @Saraleb kind of a combination of both. If you don't have some high level toons you won't get very far in the challenges.

I got destroyed on the Jedi challenge. Although I only have 3 Jedi that are even worth anything.

To start defiantly do the battles. You will mod toons a lot faster that way.
  • Saraleb
    2070 posts Member
    Only challenge i couldnt do was Jawa... will take another look later then thanks

Think i completed first three rounds of battles.. might have been 4 cant remember
  • Serya
    334 posts Member
    I'm happy with the mods so far and the direction they are taking the game. Customizing characters stats makes for so many more viable teams.
  • I was starting to think that I was crazy. I actually love this idea, although I really wish it didn't require Cantina energy.
    People need to give it time and see if it balances out.
  • It's not a question about balancing out. If everyone has max mods it will. It about the fact that in one update all the work u put into your toons don't matter. Only mods matter. In essence they came in a erased all your toons. You mod or die. And in two more months they will do it again. Why spend money or time if it will just be wiped again?
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    It's not a question about balancing out. If everyone has max mods it will. It about the fact that in one update all the work u put into your toons don't matter. Only mods matter. In essence they came in a erased all your toons. You mod or die. And in two more months they will do it again. Why spend money or time if it will just be wiped again?

How is that different than stars, lvl, and gear ? It just adds another thing you need to be competative. You will still need the stars, lvl and gear to have a viable end game character.
  • Because its not a gradual change like going from 70 to 80. The power creep went up exponentially. That's why people r mad.
  • SaKaEm3
    46 posts Member
    People were going to be mad if they didn't put mods in. It was just a matter of time before everyone had the same exact max toons. I suspect that CG will tweak the numbers, because the Mods are making some things (like Gear) obsolete. But the bottom line is that I can spend or not spend and apply my Mods to whatever toon I want, as opposed to being forced to add a gear item to a particular toon.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Because its not a gradual change like going from 70 to 80. The power creep went up exponentially. That's why people r mad.
    they will get over it. Modding your arena team doesnt take months. Seems to me alot of people are shouting without actually knowing the full implications of the update. I dont know the full implications either. Maybe it will turn out to be horrible, but atleast i had some fun in the meantime. If they turn out to be fantastic it will be even better.
  • Csaka
    23 posts Member
    It is not the addition of the mods that is the problem....it is their relative strength compared to other factors that increase viability of toons. The work to take a toon from 6* to 7* is a month. The mods to do more takes only a few minutes. This negates all of the money and time we put into it.

The fix is somewhat simple. Take away 90% of the benefit of mods. This will give some interesting combinations but not break the other leveling options.
  • SaKaEm3 wrote: »
    People were going to be mad if they didn't put mods in. It was just a matter of time before everyone had the same exact max toons. I suspect that CG will tweak the numbers, because the Mods are making some things (like Gear) obsolete. But the bottom line is that I can spend or not spend and apply my Mods to whatever toon I want, as opposed to being forced to add a gear item to a particular toon.

I think the majority didn't want the mods. Most of my guild is unhappy with the update.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Csaka wrote: »
    It is not the addition of the mods that is the problem....it is their relative strength compared to other factors that increase viability of toons. The work to take a toon from 6* to 7* is a month. The mods to do more takes only a few minutes. This negates all of the money and time we put into it.

The fix is somewhat simple. Take away 90% of the benefit of mods. This will give some interesting combinations but not break the other leveling options.

i disagree. I think you are right about the order of importance; mods, gear, stars, lvl. That means that spending money on mods will get you more bang for your buck. But you will still need the gear, stars and level to have the best possible character, so nothing is wasted or "negated". The money spend on the gear, stars and lvl will pay off later on when you get around to modding them.
  • PushinGravity
    95 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    BMoney wrote: »
    I know I don't speak for everyone and I see a lot of people upset, but I will say I had a blast playing with mods today.

I used 300 crystals and did 2 refreshes on cantina. And for approximately only 500K give or take, I put full level 15 Mod sets on 3 toons, and a handful on a couple other toons.

I by no means think this is the end for the free to play players out there. Everything I used today to mod my toons was basically what I make every day in daily activities, GW, and arena rewards so it cost nothing.

I have a decent arena squad that will not get pushed around by anyone, and although I did drop 40 spots this morning, I made it up in no time and haven't moved since I added mods.

Give it some time guys. I had a blast playing and learning the mod system today. This is just like the time everyone complained about protection update and wanted to quit, or complained about the Raid structure and wanted to quit. This is something new and people tend to not like new, it's built inside of us. But if you just do your dailies and do an extra cantina refresh here and there, I promise you will stay competitive.

I for one want to say great job Devs. I enjoy it. Other than the cantina energy being for both cantina battles and for mods. I still feel they should have their own energy. Other than that keep up the good work. I know you guys work hard and you are appreciated.

First, your cr*ppy level 1 and 2 mods aren't even worth discussing. If mk1 and 2 was as bad as it got, there would only be slight issues with the update. I maxed out 2 toons and half another with level 5 mods and it took almost 4 million credits. Thats not f2p friendly. This doesn't close the gap between f2p and p2p, it widens it by ridiculous margins.

im p*ssed about the months of farming and thousand+ dollars spent just to have EA once again give hand outs to invalidate mine and other spenders work. But that is bound to happen in any game. However it's people that think EA did them a favor that really burns me! What a short-sighted view. Look at this down the road, no f2p player will be competitive, or able to do anything aside from raid (now utterly worthless) after the week is out.

Your 40 places? You are outside the top 200 if you are falling 40 places over night, so you hardly have a grasp on the arena at max level.

Lastly, when you run into fully modded mk5, level 80, g10 teams with 150k rg, 115k st han, 50k, 4500 attack 180 spd Rey and qgj and an 80k 4000 attack phasma, or ANY mk5 team in gw or if you crack I to top tier arena, your tune will change. You will start crying very quickly. And you will scream nerf. This update is game breaking. GW clears will be even more unreachable for the average person, and competitive arena, the place where f2p could get a decent amount of crystals daily? Kiss that goodbye.

Power creep is one thing, it happens, several orders of magnitude power creep is ridiculous, faulty development and faulty testing. They need to do a complete rollback and take this back to the drawing board.
  • IdraRage
    259 posts Member
    Lets see what happens when you go up a team with Rey one shotting your characters, Royal Guard practically invulnerable with the 12k protection mod, and evasion mods making it impossible to hit anything with their Old Ben lead.
  • SlyGambit
    1246 posts Member
    @BMoney you probably wasted all those credits. You leveled up a bunch of 1* gear but all that will be removed in a couple days. You will want only level 5 mods and maxing them out costs around 200k a pop give or take or about 1.2 million credits to fully equip 6 mods.

Then you'll realize the level 5 mods you equipped aren't the right ones and will burn them out. Min/maxing will drain all of your credits - not to mention your crystal supply will be gone once you realize that you are spending cantina on mods and not shard farming.

Enjoy it now. When the realization of what this actually means to the game hits you you'll join everyone else.
  • SlyGambit wrote: »
    @BMoney you probably wasted all those credits. You leveled up a bunch of 1* gear but all that will be removed in a couple days. You will want only level 5 mods and maxing them out costs around 200k a pop give or take or about 1.2 million credits to fully equip 6 mods.

Then you'll realize the level 5 mods you equipped aren't the right ones and will burn them out. Min/maxing will drain all of your credits - not to mention your crystal supply will be gone once you realize that you are spending cantina on mods and not shard farming.

Enjoy it now. When the realization of what this actually means to the game hits you you'll join everyone else.

Exactly the point I was getting at. Well said.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    SlyGambit wrote: »

Thats all part of the fun ! You can actually do something better than the others. Arena prior to the update was 99/100 offensive wins, 99/100 defensive losses. The choices you make with how you spend your energy etc matter now. Can't compete with whales, but thats fine. If they choose to spend 5k on a game they deserve the defensive win in my book.
  • Toukai
    1822 posts Member

Mmmhmmm.

People can't into thinking.

Lets also compound this with GW being unbeatable to non-whales at this point in time.

I have always completed GW, even with all these changes. It is *impossible* for me to win GW now. Period. End of story.

I have fought Anakin, Aayla, 5s, RG, Sun Fac for the past week and a half. It took my A-team and a B-team but it was doable. Now? I don't even come close to standing a chance. Aayla/5s have about 100k+ hp each, counter-attack for 10k+, and sun fac? well... sun fac + mods since he was already on p2w steroids.

I sent every single toon i had at node 12 and I could only kill 2 out of the 5.

Bad times ahead for all.
  • SlyGambit
    1246 posts Member
    leef wrote: »
    Thats all part of the fun ! You can actually do something better than the others. Arena prior to the update was 99/100 offensive wins, 99/100 defensive losses. The choices you make with how you spend your energy etc matter now. Can't compete with whales, but thats fine. If they choose to spend 5k on a game they deserve the defensive win in my book.

But you will not be able to do it. The credit cost for experimenting is exponentially high not to mention those Whales will be blocking your GW so you will be getting significantly fewer credits daily. The cantina energy use is incredibly low. You'll only be getting a handful of mods a day and because of RNG most will be poor investments but you won't realize it until you have upgraded them. Since you will likely lose a tier or two of arena slots your FTP crystal income is also going to drop.

And they've only realized up to 5* mods. When the 7* comes out the millions of credits you sunk in your mods will no longer have value.

The idea that Whales will have no effect on your ability to enjoy mods is incredibly naïve.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    edited July 2016

But you will not be able to do it. The credit cost for experimenting is exponentially high not to mention those Whales will be blocking your GW so you will be getting significantly fewer credits daily. The cantina energy use is incredibly low. You'll only be getting a handful of mods a day and because of RNG most will be poor investments but you won't realize it until you have upgraded them. Since you will likely lose a tier or two of arena slots your FTP crystal income is also going to drop.

And they've only realized up to 5* mods. When the 7* comes out the millions of credits you sunk in your mods will no longer have value.

The idea that Whales will have no effect on your ability to enjoy mods is incredibly naïve.

Expecting to be competative with whales in a online freemium game is incredibly naïve. For some reason it is (or was) possible in this game, wich quite honestly is beyond me. If you cant enjoy a game where you cant win vs people who spend ALOT of money you shouldnt be playing freemium games. And most certainly not a game like this where actual "skill" plays a really small role in your performance. (unless you call planning a skill ofcourse)

furthermore, the problems you discribe might be true. I dont know yet how well i will fare in the comming weeks. But if it turns out they are true, i'm most certainly not the only player with those problems. Whales might get an headstart, but for the rest of us its a level playing field. I expect it will be fun to compete vs my peers who are in the same situation that i am. And ofcourse I hope I will do better than them. If not, thats okay too.
  • Toukai
    1822 posts Member

Expecting to be competative with whales in a online freemium game is incredibly naïve. For some reason it is (or was) possible in this game, wich quite honestly is beyond me. If you cant enjoy a game where you cant win vs people who spend ALOT of money you shouldnt be playing freemium games. And most certainly not a game like this where actual "skill" plays a really small role in your performance. (unless you call planning a skill ofcourse)

furthermore, the problems you discribe might be true. I dont know yet how well i will fare in the comming weeks. But if it turns out they are true, i'm most certainly not the only player with those problems. Whales might get an headstart, but for the rest of us its a level playing field. I expect it will be fun to compete vs my peers who are in the same situation that i am. And ofcourse I hope I will do better than them. If not, thats okay too.

I highly disagree with this post.

League of Legends is a freemium game where people who spend 20,000,000$$ are not above players who spent 0.

There is a way of doing freemium where payers keep the game afloat, but they don't get put on a pedestal above the rest.

Imagine how far MOBA games would go if that was the case. You wouldn't play it, because starting out you wouldn't even stand a chance against an already established player.

At least prior to mods,
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Toukai wrote: »

League of Legends is a freemium game where people who spend 20,000,000$$ are not above players who spent 0.
    Imagine how far MOBA games would go if that was the case. You wouldn't play it, because starting out you wouldn't even stand a chance against an already established player.

I'm not completely sure what you mean by "above". I dont think a person driving a ferrari is "above" a person driving a fiat punto, but the ferrari sure is faster.
    $20mil on a freemium game seems excessive, i havent played LoL but i'm sure spending money gives you an advantage. I'm also not familliar with their ladder/ranking system, but i think its safe to assume its controlled by spending players, just like any other freemium game.
  • leef wrote: »
    Toukai wrote: »

I'm not completely sure what you mean by "above". I dont think a person driving a ferrari is "above" a person driving a fiat punto, but the ferrari sure is faster.
    $20mil on a freemium game seems excessive, i havent played LoL but i'm sure spending money gives you an advantage. I'm also not familliar with their ladder/ranking system, but i think its safe to assume its controlled by spending players, just like any other freemium game.

No, spending money doesn't give you an advantage in LoL, or in most other MOBAs (which are surpassing MMOs in production and seem to be the new thing). I'm ok with the idea that F2P players not being able to be completely even with whales, but those of us who are spending money (about $30 a month) are incredibly slighted by whales who stacked up their mods already making GW nearly impossible and Arena rank worse than ever. I woke up to the lowest arena rank I've had in months, and was only able to beat my GW last night because I luckily have that bug that makes my 12th node a group of 3* characters.

This is not fun. It may balance out, but people might not have the patience for that. I've been skeptical of updates before, but I gave them a shot. I've never had so many people actually consider quitting so quickly.
  • I like mods. I am enjoying it so far =)
  • SlyGambit
    1246 posts Member

This is all only true if our interactions with whales was limited to arena.

Unfortunately it is not. The majority of us will face whales daily in GW. GW is our primary means for credits which are the main blocking point from us leveling/starring/gearing toons.
  • darkensoul
    1309 posts Member

What gambit speaks is absolutely the truth. I saw mods as a whales wet dream. I knew mods were not going to be cheap and would push this game into a ptw category. Let me make another prediction: those t7 mods? Get ready to shell out some major cash.

There is no skill in this game but there is strategy.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member

This is all only true if our interactions with whales was limited to arena.

Unfortunately it is not. The majority of us will face whales daily in GW. GW is our primary means for credits which are the main blocking point from us leveling/starring/gearing toons.

Sorry, i forgot to adress that point. Personally I have never had any problems with GW. The 2 GW's i did post update were g4 characters on node 12, so i have no clue how difficult GW will get in the comming days. Again, my peers are in the same boat as I am, so maybe i even have an competative edge since alot of people complained about GW when i did not have any problem finishing them. I must admit that you are right about it not being fun if you can't complete GW.
    contrary to popular opinion the Devs actually do listen to their playerbase, and look at the ingame data to see if their claims of GW being too difficult are valid. If it turns out that a large amount of players is unable to finish galactic war due to the Mods whales have equipped on their characters, I believe they will (atleast try to) adjust the difficulty.
    Call me crazy, but i think the current outrage doesnt reflect how bad it will actually be. The update most certainly breaks the usual routine that this game has become for me. Dont get me wrong, i enjoyed making a deeper roster. But having to focus on arena agian, adjusting to a new system and figuring out what is the best way to do it is alot of fun aswell.
    People have been posting about quiting for months, the game got boring/chore/grind etc. I'm not suprised that those posts surface agian. This whole forum is super negative. Seeing the mayority of the posts on this forum you wouldnt expect any on them actually playing the game they seemingly despize. I'm not blind to the negative effects of this update, like the ones you and other described, i just chose to focus on the parts i can enjoy. Thusfar every mayor outrage hasnt influenced my gaming experience much, i reckon this one wouldnt be any different.