So with all complaning aside...

JRuibal
25 posts Member
Lets face the reality that mods are a thing now, and they are staying, what is your current strategy regarding mod building? What is your endgame mod goals? Lets have a healthy discussion and try to find what the new meta will be!

My current arena team:

Old ben G9(lead)
All below are fully geared

QGJ
Phasma
Savage Opress
STHan

I personally am running the health set mods on most characters because they're the ones that are easier to farm in the 5 star challenge since you can use all of your characters to complete it and get a very efficient set of mods. On Phasma I run Crit damage sets, since with the constant advantage he gets and gives to everyone, he is dealing 12k on a crit without being powered up, and thats nice. And with Han I'm going for more defense, but instead of boosting his protection to absurd levels (fought one in the arena with 60k protection) I'm boosting his real defense, you know armor and resistance. This way, with the innate protection and health he has and gets from the mods, he gets more value out of them, and can survive to use his taunt 2 times or more in a single fight.

I'm interested to hear what you guys think! My personal goal is to up the speed of Opress so he is a force to be reckoned with and people will be forced to focus him and get him more powered up attacks. Lets talk!

Replies

• Probably going to give it a shot for a couple weeks. Probably end up getting too frustrated. Probably quit.
  • There is no character strategy. Either max out your credit card and win with whatever characters you like, or lose. Or quit.
  • Well, the thing is, mods do the same for every character. So there is not much to discuss. Chars that were the best before the update are best after the update. If you give your best mods to savage he might be competetive against toons of other people who have worse mods, but if you gave those mods to Rey she'd be gamebreaking. The only thing that could change some dynamics are the potency mods, but sidious and other guys that rely on debuffs probably wont make the cut even with them, so whatever.
  • Toben
    68 posts Member
    There's a lot of speculation (and doomsaying) about what the impact of mods on the game is going to be, but personally, I think you're on the right track - except for a few odd edge cases here and there, the best way to use mods will be to improve the specializations that characters are already good at. That means, you'll want to use them to make ST Han a tankier tank, Rey an even-more-damage-dealing damage-dealer, and so on.

The edge cases are what's interesting to me; the first category of edge cases is basically, "characters who would be good except for one terrible stat", (for example I feel like there are several characters that would be viable except for their terrible speed stat, and at least one or two that could be viable except for terrible potency) and it'll be interesting to see if focusing on using mods to "fix" those crippling weaknesses will make the characters viable again. I'm not sure it will, but it'll be interesting to see.

The other edge cases are where focusing on improving a character in one very specific way allows them to do something very unexpected. For example, to give away something I'm planning on working on: Barriss Offee's leadership ability already heals a lot based on her (huge) max health, and I'm going to push that as far as possible by jacking up her health through the roof, and see if it lets me make a Jedi team that basically just heals too fast to die. Maybe it will, maybe it won't, but given how EA doesn't seem to have tested it, there are bound to be a few weird off-the-wall ideas like that which actually work out.

The third effect mods will have, in the long run, is to make the meta more unstable and constantly in flux, without EA constantly having to release stuff to shake up the meta. For instance, I expect that on some shards, once things settle down a little bit, there will be a slow, gradual race as people make their Arena squads faster and faster due to competition with each other to get the first turns; but as they focus their Arena squad's mods on improving speed, they'll have to take away from other stats to do so...until somebody realizes that all these fast squads can't take down a fully-tank-modded Arena team in under the time limit, and they'll mod a team with max health and max protection, ignore speed mods completely, and shake up the meta. People will have to reduce their toons' speeds again to deal with the tank (or to copy him or her) and so Arena team speeds will come back down. Until somebody figures out they can win more fights by having a faster team, and then speed will start creeping back up again....

Anyways, I don't think mods are the end of the world*, I think you're on the right track with the way you're looking at mods, OP, specialization will be key IMO, and I look forward to seeing what people come up with.

(PS - I'd look at upping Savage's speed, but also his crit chance and potency. Offense Down is a nasty debuff, and if Savage delivered it more reliably he'd be a lot better.)

*although wow EA really needs to rebalance literally all of the PvE content in the game now, enjoy facerolling raids/light side/dark side/etc. while you can!
  • evanbio
    1505 posts Member
    My question is, does it make sense to upgrade the lower rarity mods, or just farm for the good ones and upgrade them. I'm thinking the latter is all that really matters.....

And yes, I think if the mods adjusted the characters power rating according to the actual buff they receive, there'd be a lot less complaining. The whales would be pushed into another tier, and those of us slogging along would still be right where we're at.
  • Poxx
    2288 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    I was hit for an 8k crit in Arena by an Old Ben moving at 232 speed w/speed, crit and offense mods. It definitely brings a new aspect to the game. U can add accuracy but not dodge, another way to try and get rid of the dodge meta we all hate.

By configuring speed, u can decide what order your toons go in, increasing strategy

I currently run Ani (L), Aayla, QGJ, Rex, RG

RG is modded very heavily for protection and defense. His mitigation is 40% and has 70k prot.

Ani, QGJ and Aayla all have a 47% accuracy mod and have primarily offense mods w/ some addl. prot. for QGJ and a 47% crit dmg. for Ani.

Rex is full defense and protection w/ a little offense. His buff and his 25% hit r his best abilities imo, best to keep him alive.
  • djlott
    469 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Aside from just OP'ing out my A teams, I'm looking for opportunities to capitalize on toon strengths, or to make less viable toons moreso, like Greedo. I moded him for higher crit chance and higher crit damage. Since now he crits more often at 77%, he's more likely to fire again and score back to back crits. And he's hitting at 10k crit value with Boba lead.

Some toons are more obvious but others (for me) are more difficult, like Ackbar and Phasma.

I gave my EE a ton of health and protection mods so that he would stop getting 1HKO by Rey and QGJ, and it worked. Others...not too sure yet but trying to think outside the box.
  • Akavir
    46 posts Member
    I say offense and speed are the most crucial so I'll starting the long haul to 7 star the teams needed to unlock the gear in mod challenges. Get back to me in about 4 months or so...