Mods Update II: It's Another Mega Thread!!

Prev13456719
NotReallyAJedi
91 posts Member
edited July 2016
Hey Everyone,

First off, thank you for your patience while we work on getting everything updated for you. I know it’s not ideal, but regardless of what may be, it’s important to stress that we sincerely do appreciate it :)

Our release that was going tonight is needing a little bit more QA, so our QA teams are going to work on it overnight and we plan on releasing it in the morning, Pacific Time. We will keep you posted as the morning progresses!

Okay, so let’s dive right in! Before we get too in to the weeds, this update will not include anything about the actual changes to Mods themselves. The primary reason is that the updates we are working on are still being implemented and tested and will not be ready for a day or two.

I know that’s not what everyone wants to hear, but that’s where we stand for the moment.

That said, we have heard you—both good and bad. I do want to say that during the initial testing and balancing phases of these Mods, we received feedback very similar to your initial reaction, however, in almost every single case, once those players got past the “sticker shock” of the large numbers (so to speak), the feeling was that Mods really allowed for more variety in the game.

BUT! The only thing that matters, at the end of the day, is how it affects you and your enjoyment of the game. So with that, we’re hammering on some modifications to the mods. I will give you the full details of all of this as soon as they’re finalized and in the final QA pass.

So now the weeds!

Here’s what’s we have been working on all day today, related to Mods:

1. First time rewards for completing Mod Battles and Challenges
Just like it sounds, all our Mod Battles and Challenges will now give players a Mod that’s specific to that Battle or Challenge.

2. Updated Mod Leveling
We’ve flattened the level curve on Mod leveling, and in doing so, we’ve evened out the cost to level. Note that I did not say “reduced” the cost. All we did was take away the disparity we were seeing in investing in Mods. As it stood, there was too much variance in the leveling feature with the chances for a “lucky” roll. Now, Mod leveling has been made more consistent. You should now know exactly how much you will need to max upgrade a Mod. There still remains a very, very rare chance to get a “lucky” roll.

3. Reworked Mod Drops in Mod Battles and Mod Challenges
Battles will no longer just drop Mods 100% of the time. Instead the drop rate will be higher than Character Shards on an equivalent Squad Cantina node. Challenges will also drop at the higher rate.

4. Increased Credits When Selling Mods
So, to compensate for the changes to the Mod Battle drop rates, we’ve increase the amount of Credits you can sell 1-, 2-, and 3- star Mods for at the lower levels. Meanwhile, every Mod, irrespective of rarity, over level 10 will see a significant increase in sell cost after this update.

5. Cantina Energy Spent in Mod Battles Now Gives Cantina Currency Exactly Like Squad Cantina Battles
The Energy-to-Currency ratio is as follow:
  • 1- 2* Mods Battles: 10 Energy, 17 Cantina Currency
  • 3* Mods Battles: 10 Energy, 17 Cantina Currency
  • 4* Mods Battles: 12 Energy, 21 Cantina Currency
  • 5* Mods Battles: 16 Energy, 28 Cantina Currency

So that’s everything new and related to Mods that’s going in to the release for tomorrow.

Again, all of us here express our sincerest thanks for your patience and we genuinely appreciate your involvement in the game and the Community.

J0K3R edit:
For previous update see:
https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/54319/mod-update-and-stuck-in-a-mod-tutorial-a-really-mega-thread-dude#latest
Lead Game Designer (Live), Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes
Post edited by J0K3R on

Replies

• ItsJarJarBinkz
    2494 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Now mods are harder to get? Not good. Also can they count as a cantina Battle? Or get there own energy? At least increase cantina energy refill rate.
  • thanks?
  • Bummed that there's no longer a 100% drop rate
  • opu120
    211 posts Member
    I like the ability to see at a glance how many credits it will take to get a mod from level 1 to level 15 in total. Previously the 10x system lacked transparency. So far, so good!
  • medetec
    1571 posts Member

Battles will no longer drop Mods 100% of the time. Instead the drop rate will be higher than Character Shards on an equivalent Squad Cantina node. Challenges will also drop at the higher rate.

What. Why?
  • I don't think you have any idea what we have been complaining about all day. Lowering the drop rate on mods only makes the entire cantina energy issue worse.
  • Nicol_Bolas
    375 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    "Battles will no longer just drop Mods 100% of the time. Instead the drop rate will be higher than Character Shards on an equivalent Squad Cantina node. Challenges will also drop at the higher rate."

So the genius fix for us to not get as many useless mods is to reduce mod drop rate?

I must be reading this wrong? This cannot be serious right?

EDIT: title edited to remove all caps
    Post edited by Ouchie on
  • 3. Reworked Mod Drops in Mod Battles and Mod Challenges
    Battles will no longer just drop Mods 100% of the time. Instead the drop rate will be higher than Character Shards on an equivalent Squad Cantina node. Challenges will also drop at the higher rate.

Oh. My. God.

You just did pre-crafting 2.0. Unbelievable
  • Joaquin
    41 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Thank you very much, you're the best.

/s

Edit: Hahahahaha, what a joke you are. Making things worse.
  • You'd hope not, but it's becoming increasingly apparent everyone who plays this game is being epically trolled.
  • Precrafting all over again, who comes up with these ideas?

Insanity, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    If I see one more **** attacking a Jedi with a blaster pistol, then I'll kill them myself!
  • @EmperorsVoice that statement is against the TOS.
  • I must be dreaming.

"it will reduce how many insignificant Mods you can receive and will ideally let you focus on getting the Mods you need with the substats that are important to the characters you’re upgrading."

Right so the solution is to just give fewer mods. Not necessarily better ones. Just fewer.
  • @EmperorsVoice that statement is against the TOS.

OH NOOOO!!!!
  • MBL_66
    2465 posts Member

I'm confused, **** is this ****
  • "The first update, which should go out today, will be the first of two changes related to the Mods system. While today’s update won’t directly affect Mods themselves, it will reduce how many insignificant Mods you can receive and will ideally let you focus on getting the Mods you need with the substats that are important to the characters you’re upgrading."

That was the rationale for the new drop rate...seriously did anyone actually complain about that?
  • Robert
    150 posts Member

Old post #1...Correct, they should adjust all mods by the same amount-90%. Making the t5 a 10% increase in power. Those that farmed them would have farmed them for 10% increase in stats, making the need for compensation nonexistent.

Old post #2...Except nobody would have spent that much in credits for that little return... Seriously. I've dropped 2 mil. The guy I couldn't beat at 1 in my arena spent over 20 mil. If they scale back the %'s, they have to scale back the cost. If they scale back the cost, they've screwed a bunch of players.

I disagree. Mods are way too cheap...200k to fully level a 5 star. They should cut the powers but leave the costs exactly as is. No need for any type of credit refunding that way.
  • Tavanh
    523 posts Member
    Basically a 30% droprate for mods with the little energy we get. SWEET! I JUST LOVE EVERY UPDATE THEY GIVE US NOW!
  • Josh_K
    1150 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    I had a question on point 1.

1. First time rewards for completing Mod Battles and Challenges
    Just like it sounds, all our Mod Battles and Challenges will now give players a Mod that’s specific to that Battle or Challenge.

Exactly what does this mean? Does it mean the primary stat will always be linked to the challenge type? e.g. %Offense and Offense for the Offense challenge?

If that's the case, how would one get things like accuracy or protection? Can we get a specific listing of exactly what stats are available with each challenge?

Also, if this is the case, what happens to existing mods with different stat types to the challenge they are found in. E.g. health mod with speed primary stat? Will it change to health? Or will we be allowed to keep it? A lot of resources have already been poured into mods so far, people maxing tens of mods with specific stats. If you are going to force change them, there better be complete transparency and possibly compensation for resources which would have otherwise been spent. Overwhelming majoring of players would have a variety of health mods with many other stats at this point that they have maxed.
  • medetec wrote: »

Battles will no longer drop Mods 100% of the time. Instead the drop rate will be higher than Character Shards on an equivalent Squad Cantina node. Challenges will also drop at the higher rate.

What. Why?

They weren't quite happy with how slowly mods were killing the audience and needed to speed things up.
  • nematocyte wrote: »
    You'd hope not, but it's becoming increasingly apparent everyone who plays this game is being epically trolled.

Lol. Apparently so.
  • Go_Blue
    95 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    So now not only do we still have to use Cantina energy, not only do the mod battles and challenges not give you more credits like @EA_Jesse said they would, but now you are not even gauranteed to get mods from them? Who was complaining that we were getting too many mods?

And still no word on if we should be spending credits leveling up mods that you may announce tomorrow or the next day are being rolled back? There's no indication what I should be doing or whether in continuing to waste resources leveling up the mods I have.
  • I feel...like... nothing here addressed any of our concerns.

Is the community speaking Japanese?
  • Well THANK YOU for announcing this update before it goes live because right after daily refresh, I'm using all my energy and refreshes to farm as many mods as I can possible get.
  • DarthCyren
    409 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    If nothing else, lowering the mod drop rate only hurts F2P players further... we wanted you to switch mods off the Cantina Energy metric altogether, reduce mod power by a factor of 10 and rebalanced the potency of Mods and their secondary stats.

This update... updates me on nothing except to let me know your testing team is out of touch with reality and you didn't listen to our concerns
  • Krey
    341 posts Member
    I'm sorry...but how exactly do you get over the "sticker shock" of soloing an entire T7 raid?

How do you get over the "sticker shock" of rediculously unbalanced "haves and haves not" in GW? I mean, we have to have multiple fully modded teams of characters because it is a "war of attrition" and everyone else just has to have one modded arena team to make you GW a nightmare.

How do you get over the "sticker shock" of stripping away at least 50% of the individuality of every character?

Who are these mysterious testers? How do they always miss blatantly obvious bugs like screwed up teams on the final GW node?
  • Fearbeard wrote: »
    medetec wrote: »

What. Why?

They weren't quite happy with how slowly mods were killing the audience and needed to speed things up.

BWAHAHAAH Sooooo true.
    What a bloody mess
  • ZurinFet
    261 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    That change made me giggle... what a GENIUS of an employee

Let ppl bank cantina and farm mods 100% - check

Make a change to mods so that ppl that didn't bank cantina can't farm them at 100% - check
  • medetec
    1571 posts Member
    So if we are changing the drop rate to be significantly lower than it was, can we at least get different challenge battles for each shape of mod? It was already a 1/6 chance to get the shape you needed, much less with a primary stat you wanted. Now its going to be, what, 1/15 if you are looking for a certain shape before factoring in the desired primary? Like the non-challenge standard table missions do?
  • We need don't RNG to reduce how many "insignificant mods" we obtain. If I don't want the junk mods I won't sim the battle after I finish it, that simple. And for the record, those "insignificant mods" were a cheap and efficient point of entry for FTP players to help them stay competitive...not so much anymore