Developers: Some Calm Suggestions for Mods to Help...please read

Daker
109 posts Member
I am afraid some of the opportunities for improvement with the mods are getting lost in the static. I hope you will please consider these humble suggestions:

With respect to mods, I think the main issues I see players complaining about are as follows:
(1) Players don't receive enough credits to level their mods up. Personally, I have over a dozen mods sitting at level 1 because I can't afford to upgrade them.
(2) Mod battles and challenges use cantina energy, which prevents everyone from being able to run cantina battles (because everyone is currently pouring every spare bit of their cantina energy into the mod tables and challenges).
(3) Mods are "overpowered."
(4) The algorithm that the Galactic War table uses is making the last 2-3 nodes impossible to complete for some players because it sending in mega-modded teams (in addition to the fact that teams usually have little protection left by the time they reach the end).

In my opinion (others may disagree), #3 and #4 are mostly the result of players not yet having their characters fully modded with leveled, quality (i.e., not Tier 1) mods. I believe that the system can work once everyone has a little bit of time to mod their characters and upgrade them to decent levels...once everyone has more offense, defense, and health, I believe that the mods won't appear as overpowered.

However, making mods more rare by decreasing the drop rate below 100% for mod battles and challenges is not going to fix any of the 4 complaints above. In fact, it will make all 4 worse. If you make it harder for players to earn mods:
(1) It will give players less credits. If mods are more rare, you have less to sell back for credits. In addition, making them more rare decreases the chance that players will sell them back because they are hard to get.
(2) It will force players to spend more cantina energy to mod their characters, which makes a major complaint worse. Not to mention the fact that because mod stats are random, there is a 75% or more chance that any given mob drop will not be what players want. This forces players to spend more cantina energy per mod.
(3 and 4) It will make it harder for players to mod their characters and fix the power equity and GW problems. The only way to balance the inequities in the system at this time is for everyone to mod their characters. Until that happens, the squad arena and galactic war table will continue to be a mess. Making mods more rare only slows down the modding process that needs to happen.

In lieu of decreasing the mod drop rate beloe 100%, I have a couple of suggestions that I think will go a long way to helping players adjust to the new system:
(1) Add cantina energy to the periodic energy bonuses in the activities tab. This will give players a little extra cantina energy to run missions with. You might also consider lowering the cantina energy refresh time a little bit to let people earn more throughout the day since there are now two places that require cantina coins.
(2) Increase mod sell-back prices at least 2 to 5 times the current payouts. The reality is that because mod stats are random, players are likely not getting the mods they really want on any given drop. However, I personally am not selling back any of my mods because (a) the prices are so low that I don't feel any incentive to do so, (b) I am still figuring things out and don't really know yet which mods I want and need (the stats are so confusing it is impossible to tell what some even do), and (c) I started with ALL of my characters being unmodded, so I can ultimately use every mod on someone to fill gaps. This makes the credit crunch worse, because players are not using your intended credit gain process. This must be paired with a 100% mod drop rate, as increasing the credit payouts while dropping the drop rate would not result in a net gain.
(3) Consider adding mods as a rare drop from the cantina table. This would help to take away a little of the pain for those that want to use cantina energy on the cantina table.
(4) Temporarily give players an additional bonus of double the current credit awards from the mod battles and challenges. This would be just like double cantina shards and coins, but for mod credit awards. In fact, you might even consider doubling the mod drop rate so that people have more to sell back. You can roll it back in a week or two after everyone has time to adjust to the new system. This will give players a little help in getting the mods they need to balance some of the current inequities in the system.

Please consider these suggestions, I think they will go a long way to helping players adjust to the new system, which I like a little more every day.

Replies

• Yes, and nerf the mods.
  • Additionally, mod battles and challenges should give me credit towards my three daily cantina battles. It's bad enough to make us choose between mods and shards... Don't make us choose between mods and omegas!
  • Saraleb
    2070 posts Member
    Completely agree with everything the first post said... very well put

For me its 3 main problems

1. Credits are a HUGE problem here.. without credits cant upgrade mods and you fall more behind other

2. Cantina Energy is so slow anyway and so expensive to refresh, I used to generally use the crystals I got from GW to refresh normal energy, I cant afford to do both as I dont buy crystals for ££

3. GW, I actually have managed to complete GW even after the update (not finished todays yet) there NEEDS to be some sort of adjustment to make it competitive as opposed to impossible for the majority of people, as without this no credit rewards no mod or char development.

More I have seen of mods I am actually enjoying them more and more, but it needs to be controlled better as opposed to a full on nerf
  • The other suggestion I would make is to decouple mod cards from characters... Right now, if you can move mods for a credit fee between characters.. it is a long process, but can be done. Lose a toon in GW, strip his mods and equip it to the next man up.

Simplify this process by allowing players to customize mod cards and shift them from toon to toon. Make a offensive mod card, a health card, etc. You will still have all of the functionality that is currently in play with mods, it just will save time, especially in the new 'improved' GW.
    Do or Do not.

DarthBarron (Kevin, aka KevWalker)
  • Daker
    109 posts Member
    If they gave us only the bonus cantina points, it would give the points we need to run 3 cantina battles for omegas.
  • Daker
    109 posts Member
    ;)