Aren't all characters basically just the same now?

As title.

With the introduction with mods, toons have lost so, so much of their individuality. Sure, some stun, some taunt etc. etc. but ANYONE can hit hard, ANYONE can be fast, ANYONE can have a ton of HP and so on.

It doesn't matter your synergy if you're facing a Rey with 50k total health who's critting for 40k+. So many things simply don't matter anymore.

I was excited to see the release of the new Jawas. Now? Who cares?

To me that's the biggest shame. Quite sad.

Replies

• People will just need to get used to an entire set of numbers. 50k total health sounds like a lot. It's just not anymore. In 2 months people will be making the same comments about how Rey is easy to handle on offense because her health is so poor. Rey is still never going to have near the health an RG can, and RG will never have the attack Rey can have. Inflation is just messing with people's minds.
  • Well when you add +200% offense to a character that is already top offense it just widens the gap. Imo mid tier chars will be even more irrelevant now. Luckily I uninstalled the game yesterday so I don't have to deal with that. I keep checking the forums for some form of hope but that will be gone in a week.
  • Fearbeard wrote: »
    Well when you add +200% offense to a character that is already top offense it just widens the gap. Imo mid tier chars will be even more irrelevant now. Luckily I uninstalled the game yesterday so I don't have to deal with that. I keep checking the forums for some form of hope but that will be gone in a week.

So adding 200% to defense or health or protection it helps defensive characters more. You people are so quick to whine and complain
  • Hambone
    79 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    In a word, no. It's a numbers thing.

Think of it this way -- your most powerful scalers are percentage-based. Take a character with 20k hitpoints and give them a 100% bonus: 40k. Take a character with 50k hitpoints and give them a 100% bonus: 100k.

This means that before mods, the tank had 50% more hitpoints than DPS. After mods? Tank has 60% more hitpoints than dps.

Yup, that's right. Those with more will always have more. Indeed, in many cases, they will have more more. In effect, the distinctions between characters will be radically increased, not the opposite.

Now, you might not think that is a good idea. But that is an entirely different discussion.

Nonetheless, worth being clear about this one. Very quickly, mods will accentuate the distinctions between characters. A lot. Proclaiming the opposite does not make it so.

EDIT for further thought.

Try it on this way. The above thinking holds true if you're trying to turn DPS into a tank. The tank scales a lot better, and DPS will never, ever catch up. But, sure, you could turn Rey into a meat-soak stronger than pre-mod RG. Likewise, you could punch up RG's hitting power, but he (or she?) simply cannot mathematically get anywhere near Rey assuming she is scaling by the same rules. Which she certainly will be.

However, that is a strategically awful idea. What that gives you in the long run is a stable of entirely mediocre toons. Toons that do everything sort of ok, but that excel at nothing. This is really just another flavor of losing. Mediocrity loses to honed, purpose-built killers performing their roles better than anyone else ever time. Every time.

So, assuming you (not you "you," anyone) play it smart and make those toons that are good at things better at those things -- ie, hone their strengths -- then those that outperform the rest in a certain role will only widen the gap. A lot. But if you go at it backwards and try to turn toons into things that they are not good at, then they will dissolve into mediocrity and get annihilated.
    Post edited by Hambone on
  • OP characters will always be OP. Mods don't change this.
  • Super123
    233 posts Member
    It looks the same because what we see is health modded only toons.

My crits (tier 1 & 2) modded QGJ paired with IG-86 could 1 shot gear 8 full protection Sidious with his Harmonious Assault. I don't know how non meta toons would work, but the right mods would boost them to fight against meta toons.
  • TL;DR: the expected stats parity from mods might lead people to start strategically using characters whose kits they love but whose speed/hp etc. has kept them previously worthless.

I think, even leaving aside the good reasoning in some of the replies here, we MIGHT see a lot more parity in stats. But if anything, I think that'll just accentuate the difference between kits, and how strategically we use them.

E.g. a modded Maul will still be slower and probably squishier than a modded Rey. And in the future Rey will continue to be the dominant damage dealer against most teams, over everyone, and certainly over Maul.

But right now, Rey is usually a superior choice to Maul even against a full Jedi team, despite his strongly anti-Jedi kit. Maybe, just maybe, thanks to mods, that won't be the case much longer?
  • Toukai
    1822 posts Member
    Op...

5s was OP when they made him double tap without the speed down buff. They fixed it, now 5s is great, but not OP.

Now, take 5s now... put him at 150k hp+prot, give him 10k basics (20k double taps) and with max tenacity. Congrats, you now have an unkillable double tapping demigod who cant be cc'd and will just single handedly counter attack your team to death.

Now throw in Ima lead, Aayla, and Sun Fac on that same team with the same setup.

You have to chug through 700k+ hp while being counter attacked every single time for the basic attacks of a dps