Defense: huh?

Hambone
79 posts Member
edited July 2016
Just wondering how it works. Or if anyone knows how it works.

First, what I do know.

A defense stat on a mod seems to translate into a boost to both the armor and resistance stats. Armor is expressed as a percentage and applies to physical damage. Resistance is a percentage like armor, but applies to special damage.

Further, armor is offset by armor penetration -- also expressed as a percentage -- and resistance is (unsurprisingly) offset by resistance penetration.

What I don't know. (Three questions, really).

First, how does the "defense" stat (expressed in whole numbers) translate into armor/resistance? For example, +92 defense granted a 9.15% increase in my armor statistic. Does this mean that 100 points of "defense" translates roughly to a 10% boost to armor / resistance? That would be a handy thing to know.

Second, how does armor actually work? I'd been assuming that it was a straight damage mitigation. That is, 25% armor reduces incoming physical damage by 25%. In turn, if that physical damage is coming with 10% penetration attached to it, that 10% negates 10% of the Armor and thus the total damage mitigation applied would be 15%.

That makes perfect sense, but the question is (of course) is that actually how it works?

Third, (and I assume the answer has to be yes) are there upper and lower boundaries? And if so, what are they? In other words, in the event you even could get your armor to 100%, I assume this cannot mean that you are immune to physical damage. I've never seen armor above 30%, is there a cap? How does that work?

Any ideas? If armor works as I suspect, it could be really valuable if/when maxed. Assuming that it is capable of being maxed. Or where that max actually is -- either as a practical limit or a hard limit. Hence my questions.

Cheers

Replies

• Mezmo
    117 posts Member
    Ok, these questions are neither a complaint nor a threat -- so perhaps of no interest to the community -- but it would still be nice to know.

Any insight?
  • Check_It
    376 posts Member
    They're stats put up to make you feel like the game has depth and so you can tell your friends "Yeah they have offense stats, special damage, hp, protection and even defense stats!" but doesn't actually do anything.
  • I would like to know as well its one of the issues I brought up a long time ago but its never been answered to my knowledge
  • also would love to know. And would like to know about how offense translates (e.g. the +765 offense mods). And maybe sometime this decade they could explain potency/tenacity
  • I thought defense was going to be a much more important stat after that somewhat recent patch. The game is still exactly the same, speed and glass cannons rule.
  • Yeah, this would be cool to know. Also, it'd be nice if there was a section for questions like this.
    314-187-745 || Event Suggestions | Bounty Hunting || #JuhaniNextJune #PadméPlease
  • SNAKEMAN
    470 posts Member
    Would also like to know the answer to these questions. Maybe if we knew we might actually try some defense
    IGN: RANKMAN
    Line: xSNAKEMAN
  • I am convinced defense doesn't do jack sh
  • "One thing I learned in life. People don't respect nothin but preemptive strikes." Razzy Kazzy

Defense is garbage. Speed and crit are the only things that matter
  • Hambone
    79 posts Member
    MosDefJeff wrote: »
    "One thing I learned in life. People don't respect nothin but preemptive strikes." Razzy Kazzy

Oh, I agree that everybody just knows that speed and high dps are the only things that matter.

I also know that, before a couple days ago, it was impossible to raise defense to the level where it could potentially be useful. Now we can. Potentially.

Has anyone even tried it? The ability to simply cancel out, say, 65% (or more?) of incoming damage could be really handy.

Shame those behind the scenes haven't seen fit to actually explain how these things work. Would be a massively lost opportunity if these mods opened up whole new realms of potential and diversity that no one ever learns about simply because it's kept a mystery. Wouldn't want to give folks any reason to, you know, like them or anything. (Yes, looking at you. You know who you are. ;) )
  • Hambone wrote: »
    MosDefJeff wrote: »
    "One thing I learned in life. People don't respect nothin but preemptive strikes." Razzy Kazzy

Oh, I agree that everybody just knows that speed and high dps are the only things that matter.

I also know that, before a couple days ago, it was impossible to raise defense to the level where it could potentially be useful. Now we can. Potentially.

Has anyone even tried it? The ability to simply cancel out, say, 65% (or more?) of incoming damage could be really handy.

Shame those behind the scenes haven't seen fit to actually explain how these things work. Would be a massively lost opportunity if these mods opened up whole new realms of potential and diversity that no one ever learns about simply because it's kept a mystery. Wouldn't want to give folks any reason to, you know, like them or anything. (Yes, looking at you. You know who you are. ;) )

+1