Appearance of diversity

So, one of the arguments I keep seeing for why people like the mods is that it brings diversity. This argument, however, is built on a false foundation. What we are seeing is the appearance of diversity, not actual diversity. This appearance of diversity stems from the disparity of people's collections of mods. Those with more high quality mods can put them in weaker toons and still beat players with les mods.

Let me explain this further. Mods only amplify the underlying stats, they don't alter them. so for example let's say you have a DPS toon that does 2000 physical damage and one that does 2500 physical damage. If you give the first one a mod that increases damage 100% it is going to become more viable than the second one. However, if you give them both the same mods that increase damage 100% the second toon is going to be chosen over the first every time.

The only true way to bring diversity to the toons is to make all the underlying stats equal and then let people mod them. This, of course, is a horrible idea because a big part of the fun of this game stems from the differences in toons abilities.

This is a competitive game. As in any competitive endeavor most people will look for any perceived advantage real or imagined. So if one toon is seen to give the slightest edge over another people are going to trip over themselves to use that toon. The reality of the situation is that different abilities give different advantages, and as hard as you try to balance things there will always be some toons that are perceived to be better than others.

If you think your modded out ugnaught rocks, well he probably does against the low end of the arena. Once you face my modded out Rey, though, he's going to fold just like he did before mods. The most powerful toons before mods will still be the most powerful toons after everybody has an equal number of quality mods.