Older players (2015 start)

LordAlvert
1193 posts Member
Tough week. What do you guys think? Guild lost too many this week. TI boycott.

Lost some of the most ardent players. My arena shard is dead. I slipped to 6. And based on all the new changes I don't have even a meta team out there.

Replies

• Effect
    32 posts Member
    Had a lot of players upset but not sure we had any quitters. I personally liked the first update. I'm not mad at the nerf just think the whole mod thing is pointless now. I still think there needs to be a happy medium because a lot of players lost money for no reason.
  • Effect
    32 posts Member
    DragonWzd wrote: »
    I started in November of 15 and the mod rollout put me close to quitting, every other questionable thing they have done in nine months of playing never had me even consider leaving the game. If they wouldn't have nerfed the mods and put the game play back to almost normal I'd be gone already.
    It's not that I hate the idea of mods, but the way they were so overpowered initially, completely invalidated all the work done with gear and star grinding the previous 9 months.
    It's ok to add progression to the game, but NOT overall the entire game mechanics at a whim.

Hate to say it but raid gear did that too. Trust me my squad was hurting at first. The mods Just needed time. They probably should have only released 1-2* mods but that's hindsight. Where they really screwed up is changing the drop rate and increased the cost to level the mods. At that point it didn't allow people to catch up.
  • Phlebotomy_Jones
    439 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Been playing since the start of Dec.

What started as a player friendly game, from dev communication to low cost packs and subs, has turned into just another freemium game with poor communication, monetization driven development choices over playability, and a bit of obvious disdain for fans and hypocritical cross purposes.

It was fun, but I have to say that the Yoda event was the beginning of the end of fun due to the squad limitations and cross purposes of a collecting game that doesn't really provide the in game income to allow you to branch out.

I can hear the retorts, which all amount to "Play differently," or "Focus on just a few," but all those types of responses ignore what John said even today at SWCE paraphrased as "players being able to test out a bunch of characters."

Any game that limits you from playing due to in game income is designed for monetization, that's freemium, but is at cross purposes to the very idea of being a game - you have to play to enjoy it.

Just as they've tried to squeeze more money, these types of games squeeze out the fun. How could you enjoy Monopoly if you had to play with real money? That's just gambling, and though some enjoy that, it's purposefully disingenuous to disguise and market gambling with such an innocent face as Star Wars.

This game had a HUGE chance to break into new territory as far as freemium games go, but there is a clear lack of vision for it to be anything other than, as Qeltar called it, a "money extraction machine."

I found it interesting how the Lucasfilm guy chimed in during the CG portion of the EA panel today, just to offer support. Part of me wants to believe that Lucasfilm and Disney might not allow such fan feedback as we've seen go without addressing it. But I'm realistic that EA games make a ton of money, and I have no way of knowing, but I hope that CG and EA occasionally get a finger shake about their creations not just Cheshire cat grins at profit reports.

The only reason I spent any money in this game was because CG seemed, at first, to genuinely care. I think my first clue otherwise was the repricing of crystal subs...and nothing says otherwise since.

As a last example, despite their SWCE panel, there's nothing official here for fans about the new raid. That's adolescence and angst of the "if you don't give me a gold sticker when I do something, I'm just going to be sullen and quite.". In comparison the Battlefront guy at the panel mention good communication with the community, while John seemed peeved by the "fan feedback.".

I no longer think this game's problems are just an EA issue, I genuinely think it's a CG issue. They've been handed a cash cow property and just don't have the vision to do anything original or player centered with the game other than throwing up gates and walls.

It's really a shame, but it won't change.
  • Big_Boss
    2326 posts Member
    DragonWzd wrote: »
    I started in November of 15 and the mod rollout put me close to quitting, every other questionable thing they have done in nine months of playing never had me even consider leaving the game. If they wouldn't have nerfed the mods and put the game play back to almost normal I'd be gone already.
    It's not that I hate the idea of mods, but the way they were so overpowered initially, completely invalidated all the work done with gear and star grinding the previous 9 months.
    It's ok to add progression to the game, but NOT overall the entire game mechanics at a whim.

I have played since mid December
    I already quit Im here in the forum to see if anything motivates me to play again. I love star wars I loved the game and I was always positive about this game. I didn't leave the game talking C**p about it but every time there is a mayor update there is a epic fail in testing and also mods made me feel that all my progress in raids and all that was worth less and that was what killed me the most. I hear from my old guild mates that they fixed the mods and are adding a bew raid and I am tempted but not sold just yet.....
  • MBL_66
    2465 posts Member
    My guild lost close to 10% of our members, I think we're at 12 so far and might lose more. I'm hanging around for now but I'm prob going f2p for now on.
  • Rogan_Ban84
    1415 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    I'm going with the flow because personally, I don't see any nefarious plans from the devs like many people seem to think. They made some mistakes, but I think the intent was to improve the game overall. Obviously, they have their best interest in their game.
    I feel bad for the devs...seeing things like bait and switch all the time has got to hurt after putting in all the work to improve the game for everyone. Whether you agree or disagree, it was their intention to improve it.
  • C3POwn
    507 posts Member

What started as a player friendly game, from dev communication to low cost packs and subs, has turned into just another freemium game with poor communication, monetization driven development choices over playability, and a bit of obvious disdain for fans and hypocritical cross purposes.

It was fun, but I have to say that the Yoda event was the beginning of the end of fun due to the squad limitations and cross purposes of a collecting game that doesn't really provide the in game income to allow you to branch out.

I can hear the retorts, which all amount to "Play differently," or "Focus on just a few," but all those types of responses ignore what John said even today at SWCE paraphrased as "players being able to test out a bunch of characters."

Any game that limits you from playing due to in game income is designed for monetization, that's freemium, but is at cross purposes to the very idea of being a game - you have to play to enjoy it.

Just as they've tried to squeeze more money, these types of games squeeze out the fun. How could you enjoy Monopoly if you had to play with real money? That's just gambling, and though some enjoy that, it's purposefully disingenuous to disguise and market gambling with such an innocent face as Star Wars.

This game had a HUGE chance to break into new territory as far as freemium games go, but there is a clear lack of vision for it to be anything other than, as Qeltar called it, a "money extraction machine."

I found it interesting how the Lucasfilm guy chimed in during the CG portion of the EA panel today, just to offer support. Part of me wants to believe that Lucasfilm and Disney might not allow such fan feedback as we've seen go without addressing it. But I'm realistic that EA games make a ton of money, and I have no way of knowing, but I hope that CG and EA occasionally get a finger shake about their creations not just Cheshire cat grins at profit reports.

The only reason I spent any money in this game was because CG seemed, at first, to genuinely care. I think my first clue otherwise was the repricing of crystal subs...and nothing says otherwise since.

As a last example, despite their SWCE panel, there's nothing official here for fans about the new raid. That's adolescence and angst of the "if you don't give me a gold sticker when I do something, I'm just going to be sullen and quite.". In comparison the Battlefront guy at the panel mention good communication with the community, while John seemed peeved by the "fan feedback.".

I no longer think this game's problems are just an EA issue, I genuinely think it's a CG issue. They've been handed a cash cow property and just don't have the vision to do anything original or player centered with the game other than throwing up gates and walls.

Excellent post @Phlebotomy_Jones

I agree with and can relate to everything you said.
  • I think people were too quick to just get up in arms about mods instead of trying to embrace them

There were already OP people from raid gear (do you think a g9 QGJ was competing with a g11 QGJ?)

All I know is that if I see another Rey in arena, I will sentence her to death by sarlacc
  • Effect wrote: »
    Had a lot of players upset but not sure we had any quitters. I personally liked the first update. I'm not mad at the nerf just think the whole mod thing is pointless now. I still think there needs to be a happy medium because a lot of players lost money for no reason.

+1
  • November 2015 I started. Beyond words to describe my anger with the Nerf in gear I worked hard to get. Raid gear potency nerf?? Seriously a bad move. Absolutely no more money from me. Broken trust that our toons, gear, mods....anything will stay the way we invested and worked to get.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member

Extremely well said.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Been playing since the start of Dec.

@Phlebotomy_Jones Fresh take, and sadly accurate. +1.

Oct 2015 soft release player here. When I started playing, bronziums dropped full characters every 1-2 days (sometimes multiple times a day, can you imagine?), characters were in $5 packs, and most importantly, there was a real, tangible sense of progress, and not just from levelling up every day. Because it was a better designed, simpler game.

As you say, though, there is and was no long term vision. If you boil it down, 90% of the game's problems can be attributed to this (zero beta testing - then kneejerk reactions to player outcry, nerfs, stealth nerfs, horrible pricing structures, character progression - introducing raid gear, mods, etc to desperately slow players down, etc). And the most ironic part? The only reason long-time players like ourselves have stayed so long is because we have the vision to see what this game could be.
  • Been playing since mid november. It's really frustrating now. I never imagined a worst scenario for precrafting 1.0 with how they just let everything slipped by for months and gave us a brush off it's a minority explanation after.

And here we are, a tiny guild still struggling to acquire raid gears - poor drops, bought some in the shipments - and when we finally have a solid team of gear X and XI, they nerf them. Then they give us broken mods system in one go with the same precrafting scenario. It's a vicious cycle again of extending the gap between P2P and F2P. Makes me think if it's possible for us to have a F2P server like what they do with the cheaters. Haha
  • DARTH_TED
    205 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    petedaddy wrote: »
    I think people were too quick to just get up in arms about mods instead of trying to embrace them

There were already OP people from raid gear (do you think a g9 QGJ was competing with a g11 QGJ?)

It's very hard to give something that negates eight months of WORK a chance. Yes I consider 2 to 3 hours a day on the **** game to be work.

And the gap with raid gear was nowhere near as large as the mod gap.
  • I originally downloaded this app in December 2015. My son asked my to show him how to play it. Been addicted ever since. Spent way too much on it. Now I just don't care as much anymore. Mods have killed my enthusiasm. I'm glad they made the changes they did. But there is too much rng in farming mods, leveling them etc. I just got to the point where I realized, what is the point?

Chondrosarcoma- Chondro3150#0907
  • Faff2D2
    253 posts Member
    November shard and it's the people at the top leaving. Not bitterness because they can't compete, just tired of the constant ****. I will be soon to follow and won't come here with announcements/threats hoping it will induce change before I do. After 8 months, I know no one around here cares about their customers.
  • Tavanh
    523 posts Member
    I think I'm in the October shard. I've seen a lot of the top shard mates quit the game, but it's still as competitive as ever for top spot. Before mods, the highest I've been ranked was 16, now I'm trying to hold on to top 50.
  • LordAlvert
    1193 posts Member
    Awesome takes by all of you guys. I guess I posted this in my own confusion curious what you all would say.

@Phlebotomy_Jones awesome post.

@Faff2D2 and @JarJar_Shard_1 and @BrobiWanKenobi nice points as well.

Hard to see this game reaching anything at all like we want. And even if so. We will have to get maimed by the bungling on the way. It has been rough.
  • Loose_Lee
    2733 posts Member

@Phlebotomy_Jones Fresh take, and sadly accurate. +1.

Oct 2015 soft release player here. When I started playing, bronziums dropped full characters every 1-2 days (sometimes multiple times a day, can you imagine?), characters were in $5 packs, and most importantly, there was a real, tangible sense of progress, and not just from levelling up every day. Because it was a better designed, simpler game.

As you say, though, there is and was no long term vision. If you boil it down, 90% of the game's problems can be attributed to this (zero beta testing - then kneejerk reactions to player outcry, nerfs, stealth nerfs, horrible pricing structures, character progression - introducing raid gear, mods, etc to desperately slow players down, etc). And the most ironic part? The only reason long-time players like ourselves have stayed so long is because we have the vision to see what this game could be.

+10 to fact that it is us that see the games potential...

Been playing since thanksgiving...a couple things.

1. Bronzium Credit Packs
    2. 45 cantina energy 3x daily

Lets start there to offset the the miffed players that lost alot from investing in K/A mods that turned into blah overnight.
  • petedaddy wrote: »

With a bit of luck a g9 could beat a g11, but no amount of luck would help am unmodded team defeat a rey who hits for 40k and is protected by rg with 110k health.

Looking for 1 member with 3.5m+ GP roster to help in GEO TB; we are 185m guild who are 70-6 in TW.