Weird day today for shard farming

kin
24 posts Member
For the past few days i have been getting a ridiculously low shard drop rate but today was very different. I simmed my usual shard farming locations in both cantina and ls/ds and found myself with these numbers:

Jc 6/6 from ls and ds
Jc 9/9 from cantina
Dooku 6/6 from ls and ds
Lumi 6/6 from ls ds

Did you guys experience the same drop rates today?

Replies

• Nope, pretty mediocre for me. I usually get 15-20 luke shards from 2 refreshes and around 100 cantian energy, i got like 10 tiday.
  • 0/16 kylo ren cantina I'm at 84/85! Coming to the firm belief the drop rate is reduced when you are at a threshold. Dirty ffing developers.
  • kin
    24 posts Member
    FLIK87 wrote: »
    0/16 kylo ren cantina I'm at 84/85! Coming to the firm belief the drop rate is reduced when you are at a threshold. Dirty ffing developers.

I somehow agree to that. When there are only like 5 shards left, would still take you like 2-3 refreshes for just 2-3 shards. Smh
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    kin wrote: »
    For the past few days i have been getting a ridiculously low shard drop rate but today was very different. I simmed my usual shard farming locations in both cantina and ls/ds and found myself with these numbers:

Jc 6/6 from ls and ds
    Jc 9/9 from cantina
    Dooku 6/6 from ls and ds
    Lumi 6/6 from ls ds

The odds of this are astronomically low. Must have been a bug of some sort in your favor, so enjoy!
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • FLIK87 wrote: »
    0/16 kylo ren cantina I'm at 84/85! Coming to the firm belief the drop rate is reduced when you are at a threshold. Dirty ffing developers.

I have no proof. But I do agree once towards the end it seems to dimi ish the shard rate. But that could just be in my head lol. I didnt make a month long spreadsheet so it's not anything I could prove.
  • kin wrote: »

Jc 6/6 from ls and ds
    Jc 9/9 from cantina
    Dooku 6/6 from ls and ds
    Lumi 6/6 from ls ds

Go buy the powerball and claim ur $1.3billion because that rate especially from ls/ds doesnt happen
  • Terrorize89
    434 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    I used 270 cantina energy today and got 21 shards. 21/27 a fifth of the way to 7* Kylo.

Though yesterday it was about 9 shards in 30 runs.

Some days you get lucky, some you don't, if you was to average out your shards per day, you usually see about 1 shard every 3 runs.

Oh and as for Dooku, I was sitting on 64/65 for an entire week, 42 runs plus 6 extra from refreshes and not a single drop. Finally got the last shard yesterday and even then it was only a 1/6 drop.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    9/9 from Cantina isn't that hard to do because you can do a lot of Cantina tries in a row. I got 5/5 this morning myself (and then a bunch of misses, of course).
    But 21 for 21 from missions? That's not just luck. Let's assume a drop rate of 33%, which is likely generous. If so, then (at the risk of sounding like C3PO) the odds of that are about 1 in 10 BILLION. That's 36 times LESS likely than winning Powerball.
    This was a glitch (either that or the OP is having fun at our expense, but I have no reason to make that sort of accusation).
  • kin wrote: »

Jc 6/6 from ls and ds
    Jc 9/9 from cantina
    Dooku 6/6 from ls and ds
    Lumi 6/6 from ls ds

Hmmm. Mine:
    0/6 JC
    0/6 Rey
    IGN: Malmsteen's Comet
  • WhipiT wrote: »
    FLIK87 wrote: »

I have no proof. But I do agree once towards the end it seems to dimi ish the shard rate. But that could just be in my head lol. I didnt make a month long spreadsheet so it's not anything I could prove.

The drop rate is consistent on all attempts. There is no change made based on your current count, whether you've refreshed, what you got on prior rolls, etc. It's just consistent.

We are discussing internally ways to change how it works while keeping the effective drop rate the same. Once we have a decision @EA_Jesse or I can explain the pending change.

Lastly, please don't leap to conclusions about the dev team. We're actually fairly nice folks who are working hard to bring you a great game. :)

Thanks.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    The "last shard" thing is 100% confirmation bias / superstition.
    Example: I was at 92/100 on Kylo this morning. My first 5 attempts were all successes. I then had a string of misses. Refreshed once, but couldn't pull the last 3. My final 5 attempts were all fails! OMG, the game is cheating!
    Not really. I had done 23 attempts and gotten 7 shards, which is very close to the 1/3 I always get.
    I refreshed again and got the last shard on my 2nd try. Overall, 8/25, again almost exactly 1/3.
    @CG_JohnSalera nice to see you posting again. :)
  • Question...
    You guys rather fight the battle or use sim tickets to get shards?
  • 0/17
  • Dooku at 64/65 took over 60 attempts for 1 shard
  • Obviously I can only my report what I've seen personally and I guess unluckily for me I've had some really awful experiences. Having dropped over 1000 shard trying for dooku I am 1) completely burnt by the experience, I have never refreshed hard mode since because why bother and 2) extremely suspicious...

Thanks for the note on confirmation bias. But a an average of 1 in 3 up to the final shard before a threshold is different from my theory that that probability for the final shard is different. Note that I never experience this anywhere between 0 shards and before a threshold.

Noted that the community spokesperson has informed us the probability is the equal. This is what we of course want to hear, still you don't touch an electric fence three times if the farmer suddenly tells you the power is off...
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    I went through a long dry spell with Dooku myself, and it wasn't anywhere near as long as that, so I get the frustration. The odds of that are also incredibly low, which suggests that if there isn't any deliberate manipulation here, there's some sort of bug. If the shard drop rate is 1/4, odds of 60 in a row not getting a shard are 31,356,256:1.
    Something is going on here. I don't know what it is, but these are very long odds.
  • I agree about the rate dropping big time when you get close.

Ridiculous the amount of crap they programmed into this app. Do people who work for game companies have no integrity? I am sure they hate getting jerked around in their lives so why do it to your customers?

• shimmy wrote: »
    I agree about the rate dropping big time when you get close.

Ridiculous the amount of crap they programmed into this app. Do people who work for game companies have no integrity? I am sure they hate getting jerked around in their lives so why do it to your customers?

Please read what I said above. And please be mindful of getting riled up based on your misperceptions.

Thanks.
  • WhipiT
    591 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Dude that's really awesome. RNG loves you man. I think I would croak if that happened to me out of shock.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    If the devs say they aren't doing this on purpose, I believe them. But people getting such long dry and hot streaks defies the odds. So I suspect a bug of some sort. Either that, or people are misremembering/exaggerating (which is easy to do, even by mistake).
  • Qeltar wrote: »
    If the devs say they aren't doing this on purpose, I believe them. But people getting such long dry and hot streaks defies the odds. So I suspect a bug of some sort. Either that, or people are misremembering/exaggerating (which is easy to do, even by mistake).

Nah what it is, is when RNG either heavily favours someone one day or heavily against them, people are more inclined to share it. They don't mention the other times where drops are mediocre at best, which is 99% of the time for 99% of the player base each day.
  • I got 7/9 for Dooku!!!
  • My shard drops have been pretty bad the last 3 days.
  • I spent 400 crystals for Dooku shard today. only got 1 shard. that's EA
  • 0/18
  • kin
    24 posts Member
    Wish i had the means to show that what i posted really happened. I was shocked myself. I wouldnt waste time sharing my experiences if they werent true. Theres no point in that. And just for the record, my low shard drop rate days still outnumber my good drop rate days so thats that. Anyway, I tried farming again and this is what i was able to record/write down:

Jc 1 0 1 1 0 0 0 1 1 cantina total of 6/9
    Dooku 0 0 0 0 0 1 ls ds 1/6
    Lumi 1 1 1 0 0 0 ls ds 3/6
    Jc 1 1 0 0 0 0 ls ds 2/6

There were also some days that i didnt get even 1 shard from ls and ds. That was about 18 tries because i only farm jc dooku and lumi. 6 each. 0/18.

rng is rng. We always get a chance. It just so happened that i lucked out.
  • shimmy wrote: »
    I agree about the rate dropping big time when you get close.

You can't say RNG here. It's a bad word.
    IGN: Malmsteen's Comet
  • Galadan
    21 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    I'll start saying: the overall drop chance is about 1/3. I am preatty sure about this. I want to repeat it so that it is clear what I think about the subject... Overall dropchance about 1/3 and that's fair...

But... There is something really strange if we look at the matter from a statistic point of view.

Many people are reporting in many threads - since I read these forums - failing streaks around 1/10 0/10 even 0/15 or worse.

I also did experience something like that far more than once (@CG_JohnSalera - I also noticed all the lucky streaks I had, that's why I say the odds are fairly respected overall)

A so long streak of CONSECUTIVE fails has a chance to happen of 0.X% A scientist would never say something is impossible but could convene that so low odds events nearly are.

It's like.. Throw a 6 faces dice 12 times for 100 series and tell me how many times out of 100, 12 throws never score a 1 or 2

In a so big player field like this game has it could be acceptable this to be occurring sometimes but not so often..

Unless everyone complaining about no drops is telling lies, and I don't think so (maybe someone does), the mechanic or the algorythm at the base of the drop chance is not a simple X% for every try. It is something more complex for sure.