Defense or Health Mods?

Daker
109 posts Member
Does anyone understand the math of how defense and resistance work?

I am trying to decide whether it is better to use health mods (which give you a pool of extra health that can be replenished) or defense mods (that help you to keep the health you have).

Thanks!

Replies

• Toukai
    1822 posts Member
    Options
    Speed mods with hp/prot as primaries.

That is all.
  • Options
    A speed set is going to give you max +16 speed. It's better to go for "useful" mods with speed secondaries and primaries.

You'll only ever be down a max of 16 speed from your opponent, even if all your secondaries and primaries are identical. Is 16 speed worth 20% tenacity or potency? Or 10% crit chance or health? It's not so black and white as just get speed sets...but being fast IS good and should be the measuring stick, I guess.

As far as your question, I've not seen too much in way of how defense actually works. They should have perhaps just called it Armor and lowered the % boosts. Armor reduces damage by the armor %. Defense adjusts the armor % by varying amounts.

7.75% defense on Admiral Ackabar increases armor/resistance from 16.67/16.9 to 17.7/18.03. That's 6.18% increase in armor and 6.69% increase in resistance.

8.00% defense on Stormtrooper Han increases armor/resistance from 18.92/12.41 to 20.11/13.17. That's 6.29% increase in armor and 6.12% increase in resistance.

11.75% defense on Captain Phasma increases armor/resistance from 14.53/27.01 to 15.97/28.57. That's 9.91% increase to armor and 5.78% increase in resistance. Which doesn't make sense...

So a 15% health increase you can easily compute for all characters, but the 15% defense rate seems like it will effect characters differently in a way you can't see anymore to figure out.

But I'd guess that equates to a 12.75% physical damage reduction (very rough estimate.) And since the resistance doesn't look to make sense, I couldn't even guess at that. Keep in mind everyone's favorite prequel Jedi only deals in special damage...