Rogue One, New Han Solo, future of Star Wars movies

soneill73
202 posts Member
edited July 2016
I grew up with Star Wars in the 70s and at the age of 4 when it was originally released in 1977 I saw Star Wars (**** with your Episode IV nonsense) so many times in the theater I lost count (children used to see it for free btw).

So being a long time Star Wars fan, and a purist to boot, it's hard to separate nostalgia, sentiment, and common sense from these modern flavors.

The original trilogy will always be my favorites, and some of the changes to the SE were ok, but honestly I like my Star Wars as it was originally released. I'm not a mountain militia type that wants to storm Skywalker Ranch to get a bluray cut of the untouched movies, but I would some day like a HD set of the originals. Until then I have my own digitally remastered versions that I pulled off my VHS tapes (Yes you heard that right).

I saw the prequels in the theater, yes all of them, I didn't like them the same as the original but I removed myself from the idea they were a franchise and saw them as a watered down, made for children, fantasy. There are enjoyable concepts, and gut wrenching concepts (in a bad way). It is what it is and so be it. I mostly just forget about these movies as they don't make my watch list.

Star Wars Clone Wars - For the most part I enjoyed this TV series. It lacks cohesion but as an item by itself it is nice to see Anakin not be a whining little ****. Most of the elements and themes are more adult and it inches back into the sense of franchise.

Lego Star Wars - These are just funny. It doesn't have to be franchise worthy, Yoda Chronicles are just too entertaining and usually appeals to fans of all ages. I enjoy the parody and welcome them to make as many more as they want.

Force Awakens - Well it's pretty much just Star Wars 1977 Redux. But you know what, it worked, the characters were decent, but I felt like the Western theme was lost. I did enjoy it, but couldn't see past the reusing character themes and plot lines. Also, Kylo Ren and Capt. Phasma were underdone and lack luster.

Now we are looking forward to a slew of Disney cash and grabs as there are at least half a dozen projects on the table.

This Christmas we'll be seeing Rogue One. I've read the criticism but I don't feel the same. It has the name Star Wars but I'm seeing it as a Star Trek venture. It's a new concept, and it bloody well better be a new concept because I swear if R2-D2 and C-3PO are in it I am walking out. :P Seriously though, I'm hoping for an edgy new concept that has stronger adult themes. If it is good or bad will have no overall weight in the Star Wars Universe. Just like Star Trek V has no weight in the Star Trek Universe.

Lastly though, and this is where I start to take a turn away... a new Han Solo? We don't need a new Han Solo and sorry to say but no one will ever live up to the performance Harrison Ford gave us. I challenge them to prove me wrong but I feel like a Daniel Craig as James Bond moment is upon us.

My two cents are free do with them as you will.
Post edited by soneill73 on

Replies