Mod Drop Feedback

Daker
109 posts Member
Having spent every ounce of my cantina energy on mod challenges for the past week, there is no way that the mod drops are working as intended.

When the developers lowered the mod drop rate, they made it roughly equal to the drop rate for shards. That makes some sense, right...1 in 3 mod sims you get a mod? However, that ignores 3 key points:
(1) There are 6 mod slots,
(2) In the mod challenges, you could get 3*, 4*, or 5* mods at T3, and
(3) for the mods in the right column, there are at least 5-6 "flavors," most of which arent the ones the player wants.

Assume that you are trying to build up a character with 5* mods. You have a good mod for every slot but the arrow one, and you really want a speed mod for that slot.

Assume the mod drop rate is 33%...
You have a 17% chance to get an arrow mod...down to 5.5% chance you will get the mod you want.
But the arrow mod slot has several possible powers and there is less than a 20% chance you will get speed...down to less than 1% chance you will get the mod you want.
But even if a mod drops, there is at least a 50% chance it is a lower quality 3* or 4* mod (which with the credit crunch why would you even consider wasting credits to powerup those)...down to 0.5% you will get the mod you want.

Half a percent chance.

I have 139 cantina energy, which gives me 8 chances per day. If I refresh cantina energy with gems 1-2 times, that gives me 8 or 16 more chances.

So assuming that I pay to refresh cantina energy twice (24 chances), I have less than a 12% of getting the mod I want each day. If I buy 2 refreshes every day, it will take me over a week 8.33 days, on average) to get the mod I want.

Now also consider that I have more than a dozen different characters that I play and I need mods for all of them. So get similar mods for all, it will be at least 3 to 4 months, not to mention that during that time, I cant use mt cantina energy for character shards or ANYTHING else because you have to use all for mods or the drop rate % drops even further.

When you consider the context, the mod drop rate is just too darn low. I think it need to be doubled to give us a fighting chance to configure our chars the way we want.

Replies

• hhooo
    656 posts Member
    Here's my post from Reddit on the issue, to compare:

Assuming mods drop at a rate of 33% (unlikely according to reports we've seen), and assuming all three rarities drop equally, that's a 16.6% chance of getting a five star mod per sim.

Assuming all slots drop equally (I have far more of the left side mods than right side, but not data beyond that), that reduces the odd of getting a five star mod of the shape you want to 2.76% per sim.

Now, going to the right stats, assuming all variable stats drop equally (almost certainly not the case, offense/defense/health are far more common than speed/accuracy/crit reduction), you are left with, at best, a .46% chance of getting the primary stat you want (speed).

Now, assuming you want something worth spending on that might not be replaced as soon as the next raid comes out, you'll want an A tier mod. There is no way on earth all mod qualities drop equally, but we'll be generous and give A quality a 10% chance to drop. This will leave you with a .046% chance of getting an A quality mod you want.

Putting all this together, to get an A tier mod of the shape and stat you want for a character, you should expect to sim roughly 2174 cantina challenges, which is 34,782 cantina energy. To generate this at a rate of 120 recharge, plus the average one refresh, (240 per day), you should expect to get one top tier mod from challenges of the shape, stat, and quality desired every 144 days, at best. You can expect to get the left side mods, which have static stats, every 72 days. So there's that.

And it may not even have the secondary stats you want.

If anyone has any better numbers on the rarity/distribution of certain stats or qualities to provide, it'd be much appreciated.
  • djvita
    1684 posts Member
    IMO it should be 100% like it was at the beginning, but they won't revert.

EA is like an evil genie when you wish for something, they grant it but you are worse off.
    Nerf mods! Sure and we'll nerf their drop rate too!
    Takuya-2475847_650_433.jpg
  • Daker
    109 posts Member
    hhooo wrote: »

Assuming mods drop at a rate of 33% (unlikely according to reports we've seen), and assuming all three rarities drop equally, that's a 16.6% chance of getting a five star mod per sim.

Assuming all slots drop equally (I have far more of the left side mods than right side, but not data beyond that), that reduces the odd of getting a five star mod of the shape you want to 2.76% per sim.

Now, going to the right stats, assuming all variable stats drop equally (almost certainly not the case, offense/defense/health are far more common than speed/accuracy/crit reduction), you are left with, at best, a .46% chance of getting the primary stat you want (speed).

Now, assuming you want something worth spending on that might not be replaced as soon as the next raid comes out, you'll want an A tier mod. There is no way on earth all mod qualities drop equally, but we'll be generous and give A quality a 10% chance to drop. This will leave you with a .046% chance of getting an A quality mod you want.

Putting all this together, to get an A tier mod of the shape and stat you want for a character, you should expect to sim roughly 2174 cantina challenges, which is 34,782 cantina energy. To generate this at a rate of 120 recharge, plus the average one refresh, (240 per day), you should expect to get one top tier mod from challenges of the shape, stat, and quality desired every 144 days, at best. You can expect to get the left side mods, which have static stats, every 72 days. So there's that.

If anyone has any better numbers on the rarity/distribution of certain stats or qualities to provide, it'd be much appreciated.

To me the A tier isnt as important because any mod can become A tier when upgraded. However, I didnt see anywhere where you accounted for the fact that at least 50% of the time you get a T3 or T4 mod rather than a T5. That further cuts your calculation in half, however you slice it.
  • hhooo
    656 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Daker wrote: »
    hhooo wrote: »

To me the A tier isnt as important because any mod can become A tier when upgraded. However, I didnt see anywhere where you accounted for the fact that at least 50% of the time you get a T3 or T4 mod rather than a T5. That further cuts your calculation in half, however you slice it.

It's right at the beginning:

"Assuming mods drop at a rate of 33% (unlikely according to reports we've seen), and assuming all three rarities drop equally, that's a 16.6% chance of getting a five star mod per sim."

33% drop rate (at best), divided by 3, 4, and 5 star mods dropping.

And the quality is critical - E mods do not become A quality mods at any point. They will have secondary stats, but they will be notably lower than the secondaries of an A mod. Some A quality mods have had up to 22 speed as a secondary. The four initial secondary stats on A mods are all improved upon leveling, they do not stay static.
  • I haven't had a mod drop in 2 days! Dumped my energy twice! Can't be right. Unbelievable!
  • Yeah, something is definitely off with this. Spent 70 energy yesterday on mod challenge. No mods. Bought a full refresh for 100 gems. 1 square mod. Bought another full refresh; no mods. Today, spent 70-odd energy after the noon free energy refill. No mods.

So that's 380 energy spent/purchased, for 23 attempts. 1 result. That's a drop rate of less than 5%. Not only is that shockingly low, the times I DO get mods, it's always the same ones; the square and the diamond. I can't tell you the last time I got a triangle or arrow mod.

Devs, is it too much to ask to make this a little better, hmmm? I mean, seriously, does it cost you money if someone gets a mod every once in a while?
  • Its exactly same as gear not just mods

Spent all energy + normal refreshes + 2x50 +2x100 on stun cuffs today and got 4.....
  • How are you guys simming the battles? I have pretty good luck doing it 1-2 at a time
  • I sim 2-3 at a time. Used to help. Now, I get nothing.
  • How are you guys simming the battles? I have pretty good luck doing it 1-2 at a time

Im really sure this is a myth as ive tried both ways and no real difference in results
  • Saraleb wrote: »
    How are you guys simming the battles? I have pretty good luck doing it 1-2 at a time

Im really sure this is a myth as ive tried both ways and no real difference in results

Maybe I should have said that I'm getting mods, may not be the ones I want/need though haha. People are saying they are getting none though. That sounds like they are simming max battles at a time
  • I'm not. But even if I were, if it's truly random it shouldn't make any difference. But lately, I'm getting near nothing, and when I DO get something, it's always the square ones. It used to not be that way. I could burn all my energy and get two or three decent mods. Now, I don't get them at all anymore.
  • "Daker wrote: »
    To me the A tier isnt as important because any mod can become A tier when upgraded.
    Err, you do know how mods work, dont you?
    You do realize, that tier D mod will NEVER become as good as those that start at tier A?
  • theHejiN
    659 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    ....and on top of that:

Even if you have found the right mod (1in6) with the correct primary (1inX) and the correct quality (1in5, 1in7 in August) and the matching rarity (1in5) - let's even assume the secondary of your choice (1inX aka *speed...*) is there:

You still need to be insanely lucky to have it high enough (1in6... maybe...) and it should get chosen to increase at level 3 (1in4) and increased highly enough (1in6...maybe)... And this should happen four times in a row.

Good luck!
  • That's why the right way to get mods is from mods shipments, that grant you all the primary and secondary stats you want at the convenient price of just 3.5k crystals or 4M credits per mod... Welcome to the FkF2P games world (yeah I am F2P too... And yeah, "Fk" doesn't mean "fake")
    May the Force be with you, always.
  • I often get nothing. They should either:

1) Increase the drop rate heavily
    2) Only give out mods for the tier you are simming e.g. only tier 5 mods for tier 5 challenges

OR

an even better solution would be to make challenges like mod battles where there is a node for each type of mod slot. If that were the case, they could leave drop rates how they are.
  • Some people have 90 L85 G11 7* toons most fully decked out with 5* mods.

Im thinking that 100K spent isnt enough to get to that level

• I should never not get anything after simming a T3 challenge six times. The mod drop rates are just downright atrocious.
    .GG Profile | Got spaces on my ally list.
  • 4 days of 2 refreshes a day and have mostly got 3* and 4* mods, the 5 star mods I got were grey or green mods with useless stats. Occasionally I get a 5*star A or B mod with useless secondaries. I haven't had a mod with a speed secondary in about 3 weeks.