A Concern for Younger Shards (The Unbeatable Race)

Prev1
MrGrips
521 posts Member
edited July 2016
Many of the forum goers and people who suggest improvements for the game are veteran players from when the game started. Lets look at a couple things that have happened since April/May:

Raids/Raid Gear
Scoundrel Event
Mods
Probably some other stuff Im Forgetting

All of these things increase the game ceiling. They are places to put resources in order to gain benefits/rewards. That by itself isn't a bad thing, its game
content. But take a look at all those things and you'll see that they are all things easily expedited and largely only able to be worked on if youre a whale. If youre on a younger shard, and youre F2P, youve probably been working on your Arena team not scoundrels. If youre F2P youre going to have to carefully manage your credits/ dont have the freedom to level/star and fully mod your teams.
At this point, Im still not exactly unhappy. P2P should get benefits, and previously, theyve had poor value for their money. But you start to get problems when you combine an increased game ceiling easily expedited by money with..... Arena.

Arena is a race, if you're competitive like most of us are. You want to get to the top as fast as you can because it will allow to hold it longer. Its kinda like a monopoly. If you get the top now you have 500 crystals, up to 300 more than your competitors, to put towards keeping your spot.

Now add this all up and what do you get? An unbeatable arena for a F2P or even small P2P in a younger shard. Old shards don't have this problem very much because even F2P hit the caps/ceilings before these changes rolled out. New shards haven't had a chance to hit the caps before, giving intense P2P an extreme credit, raid gear, and mod advantage that is simply insurmountable for a very long time. Plus the Arena crystals! And on top of this the level cap might increase on new shards at any minute!

TL;DR
The game ceiling has increased while catering to P2P in a way that makes Arena impossible for a new F2P or light P2P, unlike before.

Yes, F2P can still hit top 200 or 100. But I'm a decent player who's kept an eye on the meta and spent some
money . I cant beat anyone in the top 10 and foreseeably wont any time soon. Almost everyone in my shards' top 10 have gear 9-10 characters while 99.9% of my shard are still at 8. It doesnt seem like old times, when a F2P can easily hit number 1 as many vets like to point out.

P.S.
I would even venture to say on a side note that the level cap being at 80 is already a slight problem for young shards. Whales hit 80 before many people in my shard hit 70! Thats an extreme advantage to give to P2P when they get to hold the crown of Arena for months, making their lead even more intense.

Replies

• Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Agreed. I actually voiced that concern when mods were announced. If you make the game frustrating for the beyeran players by minimizing their accomplishments from the past 4-6 months while at the same time limiting the accessibility of new players, you are setting up for a long term problem.

Veteran whales are leary of spending and new whales have no one to beat up on.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • hhooo
    656 posts Member
    Yes, this game is terrible towards newer players, and almost every change that is added only makes the problem worse.

The game needs power creep introduced to more recent content so that players have a realistic avenue to participate meaningfully in end game content without having to spend six months to get there. No new player is going to stick around once they learn that all six months of grinding gets them is the ability to be six months behind everyone else.

The next raid will be a watershed moment for us, to learn whether or not the developers of this game have any desire to make this a long term project.
  • If I downloaded this game today I'd be lost. So, I'd come to check out the forum to see if there were any guides, etc. Then I'd uninstall the game.
  • djvita
    1684 posts Member
    Angry_Mob wrote: »
    If I downloaded this game today I'd be lost. So, I'd come to check out the forum to see if there were any guides, etc. Then I'd uninstall the game.

Daily installs have dropped.
    IMO the last best time to have installed the game was in late march just before protection was added (like me!)
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    I cant beat anyone in the top 10 and foreseeably wont any time soon.
    Possibly never. Unless one of them uses a team for which u happen to use a hard counter. Unless u want to part with loads of cash, it is best to just get over it and enjoy the scenery.

Guys that drop thousands on the game, u want to consider winners? Adjust your attitude. Ur a winner. Stop chasing ur own tail.

F2P may never ever reach the ceiling. Where everything is equal. By the time u get there, the bar will most likely be raised again. U aren't going to catch up, ever. WAI.

Take consolation that 90 percent of whales will eventually rage quit with frustration and remorse. A higher percentage of F2P will be around til the end.

U won't read rage quit goodbye posts from F2P players. Or disciplined booster pack minnows.
  • When I started mid April the player vs in-shard is fine. The disparity comes in raids you need to join a t7 guild bottom feed for a bit before u can get gear to upgrade arena team. The unfortunate choice now is between characters shards or mods but that will be only till u have geared the arena team. Or unfortunately spend a crap load of cash like I did. I am going f2p now understanding that the ceiling I will never be able to reach. I am hoping my shard top players also do the same to stop this endless arms race.
  • I believe each person's Arena server is different based loosely on when you started playing, so someone who only started playing 3 months ago is not going to ever be pitted against another who has been playing for 12 months. Some players ahead of you may have had a slight time advantage, but I'd imagine most of the differential comes from P2P, farming strategy, and resource management.
  • pac0naut
    3236 posts Member
    Our server is a late March one before protection was added. Everyone except for about 3 leveled up at the same time. In a month or two we were beating the whales. We're still smoking the whales. Where the drop off applies is mods. Those that missed precrafting can't crack the top 10. I never drop out of the top 10 and we all fight each other. Right before mods everyone was catching up to us. Now it's a few weeks or more of just us.
    Meanwhile, down on the farm....
  • hhooo
    656 posts Member
    I believe each person's Arena server is different based loosely on when you started playing, so someone who only started playing 3 months ago is not going to ever be pitted against another who has been playing for 12 months. Some players ahead of you may have had a slight time advantage, but I'd imagine most of the differential comes from P2P, farming strategy, and resource management.

But with each added grind, the opportunity to spend to get ahead is increased. The level cap increases, mods, raid gear in shipments, etc have all exacerbated this issue.
  • I was f2p but then spent a fraction o what I saved quitting smoking cigarettes, but my 21 day ran out today and I am considering not getting it again or at least not right away. 100 crystals a day was nice though, but I am becoming disillusioned with this game. I quit simcity build it for good yesterday after a morning progress was irrevocably erased. (Never spent on that but did watch ads so really I did spend my time)
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Good points, OP. But.. hmm....

1. Maybe this one reason why EA's goal is to make GW not 100% beatable. It has been suggested time and again that GW is designed so that focusing on arena should make GW more difficult? (I don't think it is working, though. Only two of my top arena players have a lower than normal GW completion rate!)
    2. Crystal to credit exchange rate. 300 extra crystals is not as much when converted to credits. A F2P player can save max like 100 crystals a day. But makes 700k a day with GW and raids. So 300 more crystals is 400% more cyrstals for the top arena player to buy raid gear or shards. But it only translates to 30% more credits, if converted. Since mods require credits, this is not so bad of an additional grind. Also buying shards for crystals is very expensive. It has a built in winners tax.
    3. Gear is still a bottleneck, and you do not need to be high rank in arena to join and be productive in a high level guild. Yes, top arena player can buy more raid gear, but raid gear seems to drop only once every two weeks? Also most of the best raid teams need marginal PvP toons.
    4. Devs know what's coming next way before we do. And every thing they add, they are using it to rebalance the game, overall. They can't make things better for everyone. By necessity, each new content hurts some folks. This is why devs have a thankless job.

This just might be why so many people complain. Because they are focusing on one thing, but they don't realize why those checks are placed.

EA has metrics. They design and make tweaks to keep the game balanced, whether we are complaining or not. When we complain they do not test their patches, we might be jumping the gun. We may be the experts on what constitutes fun for us, personally. But they are the only ones that can see the entire game, accurately, by the metrics. They are looking at resources and balance and longterm stability. When they tweak GW by 73,547 credits, it is not a random number.
  • I'm 100% FTP and I don't agree with any of this. A FTP who started in March is expecting to be in top 10 of arena??

Sounds like you need a goal adjustment. There are players who have hit the 80 cap weeks ago and desperately need new content. Because F2Ps can't catch up in a month, that's bad?

You absolutely can compete as F2P, it's just going to take longer to hit the new stuff, like it should be
  • MrGrips
    521 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    I'm 100% FTP and I don't agree with any of this. A FTP who started in March is expecting to be in top 10 of arena??

Sounds like you need a goal adjustment. There are players who have hit the 80 cap weeks ago and desperately need new content. Because F2Ps can't catch up in a month, that's bad?

You absolutely can compete as F2P, it's just going to take longer to hit the new stuff, like it should be

Im not really debating whether or not F2P should be able to catch up (I didnt say within a month anyway). Im just pointing out a changing climate for younger shards and I'm really focusing on april and younger. The Caps move for all shards, despite how long the players on said shards have had to reach those caps. This allows a higher ceiling for whales, creating unbeatable mega spenders. I spend money occasinally, I have better gear than 90%+ on my shard but I have little chance to beat a mega spender. Now contrast this with when the game started, the ceiling and caps were lower (like level 60 and no raid gear), so the F2P had a few months to catch up.

Now, with the ceiling so high I dont think a F2P will ever catch up. As someone who stays in the top 50 of my arena I dont think I've seen anyone who is F2P. Now, Im not saying this is good/bad. I think spenders shouls get their money's worth. I am saying that there is a change from before.
  • MrGrips wrote: »
    I'm 100% FTP and I don't agree with any of this. A FTP who started in March is expecting to be in top 10 of arena??

Im not really debating whether or not F2P should be able to catch up (I didnt say within a month anyway). Im just pointing out a changing climate for younger shards and I'm really focusing on april and younger. The Caps move for all shards, despite how long the players on said shards have had to reach those caps. This allows a higher ceiling for whales, creating unbeatable mega spenders. I spend money occasinally, I have better gear than 90%+ on my shard but I have little chance to beat a mega spender. Now contrast this with when the game started, the ceiling and caps were lower (like level 60 and no raid gear), so the F2P had a few months to catch up.

Now, with the ceiling so high I dont think a F2P will ever catch up. As someone who stays in the top 50 of my arena I dont think I've seen anyone who is F2P. Now, Im not saying this is good/bad. I think spenders shouls get their money's worth. I am saying that there is a change from before.

I'm 100% F2P and I finish between 20-50 in my shard (been playing since Jan 1). It's possible. I shouldn't be able to beat a guy who spent $1000+ on his team but it is possible to finish in top 50. Before all updates I used to finish top 10 but how would you feel if you were p2p and had f2pers routinely beating you. What is the point of spending then? Don't forget that is priority #1 for the devs. Keep the spenders spending.
  • I should add that making the right decisions as f2p is key too. I was lucky enough to invest in droids from the get go and they are one team that stays competitive no matter the current meta. If you invested in say Jedi or night sisters, you are going to have to catch up later on with other toons
  • The cold hard truth:

Fact #1 I started on a new shard some time in the middle of summer.
    Fact #2 I am 100% F2P. Never spent a dime on this game.
    Fact #3 I am currently in the top 20, and climbing.
    Fact #4 I hit level 80 about two weeks after someone else, who had 7* Grievous two months in. (I think it's safe to assume he is a whale).
    Fact #5 If you think you can't make it to the top 50 because there are 50+ whales stoping you, there are F2P players such as myself laughing at you and getting 300 crystals a day.

Hope this clears up the confusion. I'll work on beating the top 10 while you post more absurd discussions.
  • Could just run droids, they've been the most stable arena squad since launch, I think. They've only been THE meta between the Barris and Poe metas (I think?), but they've been viable or better pretty steadily the rest of the time. I guess if Rex goes f2p it could hit them hard, but B2 is a decent counter to Rex to mass dispell Tenacity Up.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    ..and by the time u max out one squad, it will lose to the mirror with better mods.
    ...and by the time u max out a second squad to beat ur own squad they will release

Annakin 2.0
    Lando 2.0
    Wedge 2.0
    B2 2.0
    And u will have about 8 useless toons on your hands in the 10 days it takes for the whales to get all the new toons...
  • Im f2p on a new server and finish top ten daily. I also have yet to lose a gw and my squad is composed of scoundrels so I have not missed a credit heist or a droid heist. .. it helps that is an alt account and know what I need to farm to get the best results.. I finished 7th today in arena. That is the highest I can achieve because there are a few big spenders that are currently untouchable. But I just thought I would post this to show f2p is still able to contend.
  • SamoBudo
    223 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Im f2p on a new server and finish top ten daily. I also have yet to lose a gw and my squad is composed of scoundrels so I have not missed a credit heist or a droid heist. .. it helps that is an alt account and know what I need to farm to get the best results.. I finished 7th today in arena. That is the highest I can achieve because there are a few big spenders that are currently untouchable. But I just thought I would post this to show f2p is still able to contend.

You are on a new server repost in 2 months to see how you are fairing. I started a ftp 2 weeks ago for fun. I am also in top 10 but the difference in levels between me l53 and top l59 will widen over time as it will for you. Early days skill makes alot of difference over cash but over time cash and high powered mods will overrun you in the arena. unless you have heavily invested only in a meta arena deck over all else and that's not even including the daily omegas which if you are ftp you will be 2 months behind when p2p hit cap.
  • Most of the newer shards will have a lower percentage of whales though. Most whales are already playing the game. Newer shards will be mostly F2P and whale alts
  • Zooey
    1607 posts Member
    I'm F2P for the most part (avg like $15) a month on a early May shard and don't get knocked down past 5 most days. Tbf, the whales on my shard aren't the best thinkers (I've never seen their g11 Rexs in arena), and I've been getting #1 almost the entire time, but it is doable if you can hit top 5 and maintain it early.
  • It's not impossible to rise up late. I started on literally the last day of a January shard. By the time I started the guys at the top were already 70. I worked up to it and it got bumped to 80 a week after o reached it. Worked up more spent a bit of cash here and there in small amounts and after a while I hit rank 1... Dropped down into the 30s nightly but got back to top 5 every day. Mods came out and I refined my team more and more. Dropped less. Won more. Now I'm stuck in #1 almost all day and certainly every payout. It can be done. With a good plan and team composition it's achievable
  • Everyone has to start somewhere. You can't expect to be able to immediately be competitive with people that have played since November. When I started in January, people were already at the level cap and had huge squads all maxed out to the current limit and catching up seemed insurmountable. But eventually you'll just get there. This game is meant to take a long time. This whole genre of games is based around time gates. Just be patient.
  • NotMatt
    68 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    I'm top 100 arena, f2p, level 80, but I have the toon inventory of a whale just because I've been playing so long. Only reason I'm not higher ranked is because of gear level, and waiting on my guild to catch up with me so we can do higher tier raids and get better gear. Yeah, it took a long time to get there, but it's level 80 and I'm f2p... its supposed to be hard. Spending money is just a shortcut to the top without putting in the effort. On my arena server though, it's pretty clear the top players all spend a ton of cash on this game with their 7 star chromium characters at gear level 9.
  • the 'goalposts' have to keep getting bigger, there is no way for the game to evolve without doing so. Basically the only thing that's happening is that new whales hold a slightly bigger advantage over new f2p's, it's not a big deal, you'd have to be really unlucky to find yourself in a shard with loads of them.

And all the same, a JE droid squad can still whoop near enough anything on offence. Really don't see any issue tbh.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    I started playing mid march. I don't see what the OP described as a problem. It's just a matter of patience and realizing that you are not able to play all parts of the game to its full potential but in due time you will be. While leveling still, your situation is no different from everybody else's on your shard. You all have to prioritize and plan to compete for top ranks. You all progress day by day. And frankly speaking, where's the fun in having access to everything from day one? To me, the progression was motivating and fun.

Edit:
    I am F2P, yes (although I bought the 4 € starter pack). At first I was happy just staying in top—100. It took me some time before realizing the importance of energy refreshes and even longer time before realizing the importance of ranking high in arena to win crystals to not only sustain the 2x50 + 1x100 refreshment but also buy gear (or occasionaly shards) from shipments. I didn't enter top—10 until mid may after 2 months of playing. Today I'm competing for the top ranks and have a 7* Yoda and EP (very rare on my shard) — even though I missed out on the first day or two of the mod feist (which some people refered to as precrafting 2.0) and I see that some of my competitors have far better mods.
    Still — I'm competitive and have my fun.
  • FtP players get free crystals every day. Use them wisley and you do not need to spend large or at all to do well.

1 am ranked 150 or there abouts in squad areana . I get 2x 5 shards though areana shop every day . that's plenty.

That's also just upgrading toons I like rather then the META , with out spending money.

I have 3 maxed toons and plenty of 6* and 5* toons with lvl 7 gear . its awesome .

I do not complete GW every day . I like it like that. It is a challenge. Its supposed to be.

I got to lvl 76 in 10 weeks. Not from spending large but by being active, doing daily and guild activity , joining a guild and doing raids .

Yes people that pay get an advantage but they pay a lot of money for it also, and the fact is, the wales are not that far ahead in the scheme of things, perhaps they do what most are not doing properly and that's looking after your account by being active and seeking sound advise.

This game is designed for longlivity . getting all the credits and shards and droids and charactors all at once is not what this game is about.

SWGoH is more then a mobile game, its an adventure. In 10 weeks I have learned so much but even more important made a tight nit of new friends online in the guild I am In and love the convo that goes on.

I think stop focusing on what people that spend money to support the developers do,( devs are human and need food and shelter just like you do ) and worry about working on your account, your characters and your tactics .

Yes the game had had issues but they do get resolved in time. I can not imadgin how many lines of code go to make this game. It is in my opinion the best mobile phone game ever and should be appreciated , rather then taken for granted and complained about.

• There s plenty content that doesn't require competition with other players. Maybe 1% of players is on this forum, and maybe 75% of those on this forum actually care about their arena rank. That's 0,75% of all players. Think it's safe to assume those not on this forum are not aiming for #1.

I know I don't care about arena. I try to stay 50-100, but dont care enough to refresh. As long as I get my daily 10 shards from arena, I'm happy.

Im collecting shards, building my toons, doing my part in the guild, and minding my own business. People want to keep themselves busy trying to be #1 in arena at payout? Fine by me, good for them.

I was p2p at the start, but realized the spending will never end. Now I just get the daily 100 Crystals.

Other free games (like Iron Force and the likes) rely on pvp competition only. That's really p2w. Swgoh has plenty of room for f2p, pvp is only a small part.

I started in july.
  • There s plenty content that doesn't require competition with other players. Maybe 1% of players is on this forum, and maybe 75% of those on this forum actually care about their arena rank. That's 0,75% of all players. Think it's safe to assume those not on this forum are not aiming for #1.

Plenty of content and new stuff soon!
    Also I will add a comment about squad arena. I didn't like it at first but use it now to fine tune my tactic / test mods for GW . just a tip I thought I would share.