Character Strategy- CC-2224 “Cody”

Replies

• @CG_Kozispoon If you're able to and if you have time, I'd be curious to read what your team's thoughts are on the feedback we gave. How far off are we on some of the suggestions and what we feel is wrong with him? Also, what are your thoughts on Rex and adjusting is AI to prioritize Squad Discipline over Subdue? Would that be too powerful of an adjustment? On paper it seems reasonable when you consider characters like Jawa Engineer using "Calibrate" first. Just curious. Thanks - J
  • Rogan_Ban84
    1415 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Above all, what cody really needs is some survivability. My idea would be to create a synergy with fives, give cody an ability that make fives sacrifice only for him.

Edit, by sacrifice, I mean tank.
  • For a premium toon, Echo has survivability issues too, especially with his "by the book" ability taking a hit in the reduced number of attacks. A clone-specific passive taunt for Fives would address both problems.

It would also be nice if Rex never tried "subdue" on someone with foresight, and Echo reserved EMP for taunting toons if the other team has a taunter still alive. But those are just things we have lived with for a long time.

Cody's survivability, and re-balance with so many fewer attacks from Echo, are the biggest issues, followed by Rex failing to use squad discipline until it's too late.

• Darth_Jay77
    3163 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    For a premium toon, Echo has survivability issues too, especially with his "by the book" ability taking a hit in the reduced number of attacks. A clone-specific passive taunt for Fives would address both problems.

It would also be nice if Rex never tried "subdue" on someone with foresight, and Echo reserved EMP for taunting toons if the other team has a taunter still alive. But those are just things we have lived with for a long time.

Cody's survivability, and re-balance with so many fewer attacks from Echo, are the biggest issues, followed by Rex failing to use squad discipline until it's too late.

AI issues with Cody, Rex, and Echo are big problems for the Clones. Cody not using 212th attack first is actually a big problem. Damage aside, his ability gets more TM into Sarge with Sarge's basic and can proc offense up. Cody gets a refresh on his TM, Rex is reducing somebody else's TM and Echo can increase somebody's TM as well. It's creates damage and up-tempo for the Clones.

I never thought about 5's having a passive taunt, that would be awesome. However if they do I'd like to see them restrict it to the Clones so we don't have another RG running around. Him having a passive taunt that's open to any ally could become completely broken.

Rex... Squad Discipline must come first before Subdue. Clones are about TM gain and Squad Discipline not only protects their TM and wards off effects, it gives them high-value TM. Like I've said before, it's no different than Jawa Engineer giving Droids and Jawas TM with Re-Calibrate, and JE's AI prioritizes that on defense so it's not a stretch to expect the same from Rex.
  • Yup to all of that +1

Definitely intended to suggest that Fives passive taunt would be limited to clones. Or maybe give Fives a unique like, "When another clone drops below 50% health, that clone receives protection for two turns equal to 20% of CT-5555's Max Health"

That gives him a couple turns to use Echo's unique (if Echo is still alive) to get over that 50. Others can still blow him away if they overcome the protection. It wouldn't be a huge game-changer like a passive taunt might be. But, IF someone builds a full clone team, it would give the softer clones a survivability synergy that could keep them in the battle a couple extra turns without making them indestructible.
  • Xioborg
    405 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    You can get Rex to open with squad discipline today. Just stick JKA in the team with speed+ to go ahead of Rex and less than around 60% critical chance from experience. When he exposes, Rex opens with squad discipline...

Be careful what you wish for though, as the Rex first round TM boosts your tank, so unless you're using RG, it can end up taunting ahead of the oppositions QGJ... Free offence up anyone? :) Hence the fine tuning on my JKA's critical chance in my squad..

Xio
  • Xioborg wrote: »
    You can get Rex to open with squad discipline today. Just stick JKA in the team with speed+ to go ahead of Rex and less than around 60% critical chance from experience. When he exposes, Rex opens with squad discipline...

Be careful what you wish for though, as the Rex first round TM boosts your tank, so unless you're using RG, it can end up taunting ahead of the oppositions QGJ... Free offence up anyone? :) Hence the fine tuning on my JKA's critical chance in my squad..

There's probably no perfect situation for the AI, but I think SD first (on defense) is a better move than opening with Subdue. There are enough ability block effects and stuns that I think having Tenacity outweighs the negative. Not to mention, that especially if you're running a Clone heavy squad then they need that TM to get things going.

I tried to back-door into the 1st turn SD by getting Rex's Tenacity to 93% with the thought that the rest of the squad would have negative effects thereby forcing Rex to SD. But even at 93% he still gets ability blocked more often than he resists. I wish I could get lucky with some other secondary stats and get him close to 100%.
  • So...kind of underwhelmed with the Cody "fix." Reduction in cool downs, and added defense...no HP buff? No penalty reduction on 212th? Those were his main deficiencies. Did you guys even test him?
  • Darth_Jay77
    3163 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    @CG_Kozispoon

Hello, just some feedback and hoping youre able to answer a couple questions. I like the cooldown reduction on his abilities, I think that will help him a lot. As for his leader, that seems like a huge amount of drfense, guess we'll see in testing tomorrow. Do you think a health or protection buff will be coming so hes useable outside of being a leader or is he really just intended to be the leader? Lastly, his AI pre-update was a problem in my opinion. What are your thoughts on updating his AI? I think this week's update is good, curious to hear your feedback on the other items mentioned. Best Regards - J
  • His AI will now prioritize "The 212th Attack" over other abilities.

This was a "light" rework as I had a lot (i.e. The Emperor of the Galactic Empire) on my plate for this release. I'll be watching this thread to see how Cody is doing now, and we can make further adjustments if needed. Keep the feedback coming!

"There is always a way, Wooley."
  • Durrun
    1019 posts Member
    His AI will now prioritize "The 212th Attack" over other abilities.

This was a "light" rework as I had a lot (i.e. The Emperor of the Galactic Empire) on my plate for this release. I'll be watching this thread to see how Cody is doing now, and we can make further adjustments if needed. Keep the feedback coming!

Thank you very much for the attention and continued concern sir @CG_Conduit23
    Nice to know we are heard thanks!
  • @CG_Conduit23
    Thank you for the quick and imformative response. Cody has such potential, and I have high hopes you and your team can balance him effectively. I think his main weaknesses are his low health pool, which is about 30% less than the other clones not names CT-5555. His 212th attack could use less damage penalty, 40% is steep. IG-86 and GS both have assists that only call one ally and it does just as much damage with less cool down. If the cool down is 6, it should have much less penalty.
  • Darth_Jay77
    3163 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    His AI will now prioritize "The 212th Attack" over other abilities.

@CG_Conduit23 You guys definitely have a lot going on between this new Rebel event, Emperor, and Tank Raid coming up; Palpatine looks really cool. The Kit Fisto updated was a nice surprise, I need to find some time for him too. Thank you for the updates that were made, I'll definitely give Cody some play-time, see how it goes, and report back.
  • DaveyDangerous
    56 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    @CG_Conduit23

Thank you so much for the thought and changes and to continue to read the thread, I think the cody change is obviously a move in the right direction, I just have a couple of points to make...!!!

Echo
    • Was changed to stop an expliot, but now echo does not follow up fives when he counters or when he assists and someone else assists. It felt like he only got changed because of cody so echo got over nerfed. Can we figure out a way to balance this out a bit for echo?

Cody
    • Change feels like a good direction, however the global stun is still a dead move as it does very little, it isn't satisfiying to use and could be a big opportunity to change, I wonder if it can do something with clone synergy, or if he could just have simply a different ability
    • HP is too low, this is bad considering how especially high his gear requirement is -3 furnances, tonnes of cuffs.
    • This is a vague comment and hard to articulate - but he just feels like he isn't exciting enough yet for the significant role he plays, but he is going in the right direction. It feels like he misses something espcially when you look at other faction leaders like palpatine coming out, yoda, HK47... I think his main issue is he lacks some from of distinctive passive syenrgy. I would switch the AOE attack for that (even though the animation is sick for that attack!) some examples of triggers and effects which could be interesting....

Example passives....!
    1. The first time a clone reaches below 50% assign taunt to clone with largest remaining HP pool for 3 turns (Cody is a commander after all!)
    2. When cody dies give all clones counter for two turns (revenge of his death!)
    3. Assign counter attack to random clone on any clone that assists

What would you all do on forum?

• You could move the defense boost off of the leader ability and into a passive like many of the other faction/racial bonus driven characters in the game (jawas with speed/evasion per living jawa, droids with crit per living droid) and I miiiight be happy.

I played around with him and my other clones last night in some of the tier 8 light side battles, taking turns poking the dooku bosses with each team member and watching the incoming damage on the counterattacks. With him as leader he definitely received an average of 1-2k less damage per incoming blow which didn't "seem" trivial and might be scaling with his shallow health pool more? That said, this is only if he is leader - and with all of the reys and droid teams critting like crazy - Rex is just flat out better. At which point Cody does not have access to this added survivability and is threatened with the usual first turn knockout.

I am torn on the defense boost though - were the "cushion" added into his HP instead of his defense he'd synergize better with his teammates (Rex and Echo) in terms of their %HP based bonuses.
  • @DaveyDangerous Yeah lets keep this conversation going. I would suspect that as Kozi is rolling out the Rebel event with his team theyll be busy for the next few days but maybe if we gather some feedback over the weekend he'll cstch it next week.

I have some initial thoughts on Cody but I dont feel like 5 arenas is enough, I want to see more play and of course the overnight drop. I'm going to ask a couple people to record attacks on me to see the squad from that perspective too.
  • Durrun
    1019 posts Member
    I think the 2 main issues currently is his low survival rate and inability to protect him with tanks etc since you'll lose his defense bonus for that character. And his Cannon
    It just needs to do more. A single target 1 turn stun, that has to crit 2 people to stun isn't worth firing the ability.
    Aayla only has to crit 1 and it sure as hell ain't on a 5 turn cooldown.

The ability either needs to buff clones, (TM, defence up, etc.)
    Disable enemies
    (Something like dengar for crit targets, TM loss, multi stun, offence down)
    Or it needs to be buffed in damage hugely.
    As it is I never use it since his basic hits harder and gains TM. A single target stun based off multiple crits (especially with so much evasion) isn't worth the turn or the crazy long cooldown
  • SaintEaters
    412 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    KnightG8 wrote: »
    I've put probably $300+ to try to get Echo, got him but only 3*, I may not be the mastermind behind this game but I think putting a rotation on the shard shop for grevious and some of the harder to get characters would make for a lot more time put in the game for lots of ppl or just make it a bit simpler and just put Echo, Rex, and Cody in the shops maybe put Cody in a bit later, yeah it would make the clones easier to get but ppl would still have to put a lot of time to get decent clone team

I think this is a most excellent idea. That way it is still a very difficult and long road to attain these toons but not impossible. The ppl who pay for the chromium packs will still have any toon put in GG spot in the shard shop way bf anyone else. Also, they would still make money off of it from ppl doing extra refreshes trying to get the currency to buy them. On top of that, everyone will be starting at same point bc EVERYONE used all their shard shop currency and every other currency buying raid gear from the shard shop.

2nd, I wanna say that I completely agree with what @Josh_K said in his post (3rd down from the OP post). I am a f2p player, formerly a whale, and I agree that if you pay as much money as they want you pay for a toon they should be, at the very least, viable in arena. His suggestion for Cody was a really great one that could help Cody be more viable but also keeps him from being op. That's probably one of the best suggestions I've heard in a while for a toon, especially a pay toon. If anything, I think that his suggestion for Cody still leaves Cody slightly less powerful than all meta f2p toons, but at least makes him viable and possibly really good in the right setup. Excellent thinking josh_k, I agree with you.

Edited for spelling.
  • Granek
    50 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    People that spend lots of $$ should be rewarded, that's the basis of capitalism. Those with more $$ have the opportunity to do more, and HAVE more.

I'm not a whale, but I'd be **** **** if I spent over $500-1000 like some of you on a severely underwhelming toon. I'm a 'Freemium' player and I have no qualms about whales having stronger teams-they paid for it. When some dude in a Maserati drives past me am I upset that it makes my Caddy look like a match box? No, that person simply is more wealthy then I am.

I think the FTP players want to compete with whales but that shouldn't be the case, there should be a stark discrepancy between to the two groups. Why would a millionaire want to live in a housing project? (not making fun of Projects I grew up in one just using an analogy) . Someone will argue that the FTP players will leave-yeah ok not going to happen- its EA, Di$ney and $tar War$; they know they got us ALL by our Lekku HARD -. Would some leave? sure but then most would be-if not forced-'coerced' into spending more $$ 'to keep up with the Joneses'. To which is a 'win' for EA

I can use the MMO analogy, lets say an MMO has PvP but not everyone PvPs, you're going to have a small player base that figures out how to maximize their said pvp toon to their fullest. They have the most time to raid, acquire 'The Sword of p0wing +100'. Those that don't shouldn't complain that they can't compete with people that put more time (in this case money) into the game.

Our society is predicated on catering to those with more, is it fair? I don't think so, but that's just how it is.
    Post edited by Granek on
  • @CG_Conduit23

Cody Needs a Health buff 3-4k+ minimum i would think

His Aoe Either needs to be further reduced or for it to have a chance at stunning 2 targets (the targeted and 1 random enemy) or needs a buff in damage

His defence in leader ability needs to be moved onto a passive - at the current point i find my self having to keep cody as leader instead of anakin or other clones just for the extra defence, however with that said if it was to go to a passive a small nerf i think would be needed if you did buff the hp.

Another idea on a passive ability would be to have a Hp %, something around the 10% for each clone, if you added the defence from leader ability on there aswell make it 5-6% for each clone

Again though this is just my opinion
  • Zooey
    1607 posts Member
    Did some math on Cody lead today. The +250% defense bonus is actually substantial and more than doubles his armor.

If we say Cody has 25.5% armor (275 defense), his lead (+250% defense) will increase that to 54.6% armor. This increases his effective hp by 86%. That means a maxed, unmodded Cody with 19k Hp+Prot will have his hp pool increased by 16k to 35k effectively, which is comparable to a maxed Rex with 27k hp+prot and 25% armor.

The most important thing however about this change is that mods will increase Cody's survivability far more than any other clone. If you can get a couple +1500 protection secondary stats on mods, those will translate to about +3300 effective protection for Cody (provided that no one is dead). Combine those with a couple +23.5% protection mods and you're looking at a 50 or 60k EHP Cody.

The only Cody owner in my arena has speed & crit mods on his while running Rex lead, and based on these calculations, I fully believe that that is the wrong way to go. I hope this is helpful to you all.
  • Durrun
    1019 posts Member
    Thanks for the math insight @Zooey
    2 slight issues though. Cody won't count himself in lead so that's only 200% defense. And it's really hard to use echo, dropping him down to a realistic 150% defense. Still good but not as good as your formula, which I again thank you for taking the time to work out
  • Zooey
    1607 posts Member
    Durrun wrote: »
    Thanks for the math insight @Zooey
    2 slight issues though. Cody won't count himself in lead so that's only 200% defense. And it's really hard to use echo, dropping him down to a realistic 150% defense. Still good but not as good as your formula, which I again thank you for taking the time to work out

Mmmmk, as a non-clone user, I didn't realize that Cody didn't count himself (thought it was like the JE unique). But if he's at +150% defense, then a 25.5% armor Cody would improve to 46.2% armor, increasing his EHP by 51.6%. If you run him with RG using defense up (which I believe works additively), you'd be back at 200% defense, which is equivalent to 50.7% armor and a 68% EHP increase.
  • I've been terrified of swapping cody and rex in the leader spot due to losing the turn meter on crit clause. Guess I should bite the bullet, go for it, and see how far i fall in the ranks hah (or don't).
  • Cody does count himself for his Leader. Generally any time description text says "ally" and not "other ally" it includes the unit itself.
  • Durrun
    1019 posts Member
    Cody does count himself for his Leader. Generally any time description text says "ally" and not "other ally" it includes the unit itself.

Really, that's very interesting and good for the character thank you for clearing it up @CG_Conduit23
  • @CG_Conduit23

Thank you SO much for the speed in getting this light update done, especially with all you had on your plate. Also, thank you for the communication. I feel so much better about this game than a couple weeks ago (even if Emperor's Demise event is too easy *winky face*).

The following feedback is based upon four or five arena "batches" (so 20-25 pvp battles) and a few galactic wars. I run a full clone squad and spent a fortune optimizing their mods.

Having the defense buff require him to lead is a non-starter. Withouth Rex's hp boost and tm on crit, the clones are squishy and slow. I tried running him in the lead for a couple batches of arena battles before going back to Rex. I like that he is doing 212th more now, but think that it would be nice for a Clone COMMANDER not to dissolve like cotton candy in a thunderstorm :)

Also, Echo just isn't Echo anymore. Fives is wondering where his pal went. Fives double-taps, Echo sometimes helps but just once. Fives counters, Echo twiddles his thumbs. Fives calls another toon to assist, Echo yawns. Something is wrong with my boy Echo. Somebody get him some help!

I think that we are *ALMOST* there on balance.
    Cody's leader just needs to be turned into a passive unique (including the extra crit chance for clones, to be lost upon his death)
    and Echo's assists on double taps, counters, and Fives' special need to be restored

It's fun to dream up a palpatinesque kit for Cody, but I honestly think the above should do it.

Yes, if you then crit-chc mod all the other clones, he might end up using 212th 3/4 of the time. BUT doing so does require sacrificing other stats you could have pursued instead of that crit chance, and Cody is a commander after all, even if Rex is out in front leading :)

Thanks for reading!

If you are looking for folks to beta test tuning for future toons, I'd be delighted to do so (as would probably a few hundred thousand other folks).
  • Josh_K
    1150 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    I've been doing some testing on the revised cody. So he is much more survivable thanks to the revision to his lead. However, there are still gaping issues with the team overall.

Damage output of the team is non competitive, especially considering the recent armor changes. 212st attack doesn't even clear protection from qgj. I feel the damage penalty needs to be scaled back.

Team survivability is a very big issue. Cody must be lead to live past turn 1. He relies on a clone heavy squad 4 clones + 1 at least (212st becomes extremely weak in any other set up). If you have 5 clones, picking them off 1 by 1 is way too easy. If you put a tank in 5th, you live a tiny bit longer but the team has no damage output.

Lots of suggestions rolling codys defense buff into a unique. This way he is viable in JKA led teams and rex led teams. Partially solving the above 2 issues.

Echo needs a buff as well. His heal for 7% is a bit of a joke. Clones already dont have much hp to start with. Look at palpatines leader heals for sith. This is 20% hp on negative status applications without any cap per turn. Echos ability should grant something similar. Remember we are only talking about basic attacks here.

Finally, rexs tm gain should be prioritised by ai. This is one of the few advantages clones have to move quickly.
  • Josh_K wrote: »
    I've been doing some testing on the revised cody. So he is much more survivable thanks to the revision to his lead. However, there are still gaping issues with the team overall.

Damage output of the team is non competitive, especially considering the recent armor changes. 212st attack doesn't even clear protection from qgj. I feel the damage penalty needs to be scaled back.

Team survivability is a very big issue. Cody must be lead to live past turn 1. He relies on a clone heavy squad 4 clones + 1 at least (212st becomes extremely weak in any other set up). If you have 5 clones, picking them off 1 by 1 is way too easy. If you put a tank in 5th, you live a tiny bit longer but the team has no damage output.

Lots of suggestions rolling codys defense buff into a unique. This way he is viable in JKA led teams and rex led teams. Partially solving the above 2 issues.

Echo needs a buff as well. His heal for 7% is a bit of a joke. Clones already dont have much hp to start with. Look at palpatines leader heals for sith. This is 20% hp on negative status applications without any cap per turn. Echos ability should grant something similar. Remember we are only talking about basic attacks here.

Finally, rexs tm gain should be prioritised by ai. This is one of the few advantages clones have to move quickly.

+1 lord Josh_K
  • I concur with Josh's suggestions--especially rex ai fix