Motive for purchase: frustration or desire?

Nebulous
1476 posts Member
edited July 2016
I was thinking of buying Best Buy's iTunes discounted cards today and then I was going to purchase the 50 dollar crystal shipment. And it dawned on me, I'm considering a purchase because I am too frustrated at credit costs and not because I want to actually spend my money.

This is not how I should be feeling about a purchase. Spending money should bring some sort of happiness and not just about releasing tension. I know paying bills sucks, but the enjoyment of having a smartphone, cable/satellite and Internet make paying bills acceptable. I experience enjoyment in getting 'brand new' or 'desirable things.' It's fun, rewarding and completely worth the money.

I really do want to spend money on this game. I also really do NOT want to spend money on credits. And I definitely don't want to spend money because I am frustrated with the slow pace of credit input vs the lighting-quick speed of credit output.

I hope a more impactful change comes to credits accrual. Or ideally, a sweeping decrease in credits across the board so every player can feel the impact and not just players who can compete specific tasks.

Post edited by Nebulous on

Replies

• Palanthian
    1262 posts Member
    Options
    I've sworn off mods for now and am just living off my pre-crafted stock. When the mod system starts to make sense, drop rate and cost, I'll farm them again.
  • ScotBott
    166 posts Member
    Options
    +1
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    Options
    If you have Gear 7 mods already make sense.
    If you have Gear 8, mods are an incredible deal.
    If you have Gear 10/11, mods are an absolute steal.

Just because they were nerfed does not make them too expensive. Unless you're gear 6, lol.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    Options
    Negativity on forum. Hurts the game. If you WANT to spend, you should enjoy it. Just stop reading the forums.
  • WhaleKiller1
    517 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Anyone who spends now is only contributing to the fact that they're doing nothing about issues the players have been raising. GW, credit crunch, mod precraft 2.0, sorry drop rates, mod nerf without compensation, etc.

They've shown time and time again that our words mean nothing. Buying anything at all right now is only making that approach to business permanent.

• LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    Options
    EA has responded. To issues players have been creating.
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    Options
    LastJedi wrote: »
    Negativity on forum. Hurts the game. If you WANT to spend, you should enjoy it. Just stop reading the forums.

I don't mind the forums. There is a lot of negativity, but there is also great information. Additionally, you are pretty much saying what i am saying.

I want to spend, but I want to enjoy it. Right now it's, I want to spend to alleviate frustration. That is not the same at all. It's a negative experience. It fosters remorse and regret. Not the way to promote long term spending.
  • Options
    You don't need to spend anymore. Anyone that has been playing awhile should be able to rank high enough to get 200 crystals from arena. That gives 1 cantina refresh and 2 mission refreshes. Completing daily challenges will give enough to refresh arena. That's all I do now. I was spending a lot on this game but it's not worth it to me based on how we are treated. If things change, I will spend again but following the plan above, it has worked to keep me competitive.
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    Options
    There has been steps toward helping with credits. The increase of 100k+ to GW is a good step. I fee this should have occurred when the level increased from 61-70 and then compounded again with cap went from 71-80.

My concern is, how is credit need balanced in the game?

It's likely player credit needs are balanced by assuming GW is completed 100%, credit heist is competed 100%, challenges are completed 100% and then add in the minimum level they assumed players will earn from cantina/normal energy. If this is the case, it's the balance that is busted.

What happens is, none of the earned credits are actually bonus. They are all baked into the balance of credit earning. This then means each time one portion of the credits are not obtained, the player has fallen behind. This is not proper balancing.

Inflating the GW coffers doesn't alleviate the credit problems for everyone, just everyone able to beat GW. The way to impact everyone is to lower credit costs across the board.

Defeating GW 100%, beating the heist, doing all 3 credit challenges each day should be bonuses to players for the dedication of play and loyalty.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    You don't need to spend anymore. Anyone that has been playing awhile should be able to rank high enough to get 200 crystals from arena. That gives 1 cantina refresh and 2 mission refreshes. Completing daily challenges will give enough to refresh arena. That's all I do now. I was spending a lot on this game but it's not worth it to me based on how we are treated. If things change, I will spend again but following the plan above, it has worked to keep me competitive.
    Exactly right. You don't get a whole lot from spending, once you have an arena team that is fully geared. (If not modded, yet, it only takes a couple weeks, which is nothing.)

The recent update does not change anything. This is how it always was. But still the whales on my server spent. They fully admit it. They like to spend and to feel powerful, however temporarily. And they enjoy supporting the game.

But I don't see where EA is treating anyone badly. Just because you are a long timer paying player does not mean the game has to be catered to you. If you support the game and you love it, you will accept that certain changes may not be beneficial to you, personally. And see beyond that. Team instinct not approving of mods, for instance... they thought it was going to upset their status quo. That it would hurt their investment. Just because anyone supported the game financially, doesn't mean that the game should be catered to them. That is not a game anymore. Just a rewards program with animated toons.

When I drop money on the game, it never has anything to do with longterm goal. Longterm, hundreds of dollars are just a drop in the ocean. When I drop coin, it is for instant gratification. If I don't get $20.00 of fun in the week after I drop the cash.... it was not worth it.

If and when the game changes, I will adjust my longterm goals/plan. What I spent in the past, what I will spend in the future, has nothing to do with anything. I consider that past purchase already realized. It gave me enjoyment at that time. And it supported a freemium game. I do not need to have a permanent advantage over F2P players, because I spent. I don't care for that.
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    Options
    I am ranked 1 in arena. I've been playing since December. I am well aware of how to be f2p or low spender competitive. I don't need anyone championing about not spending.

But you're missing my point. It's about spending due to frustration not due to desire.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Yeah, then don't do it. And if that feeling doesn't go away, then quit! That's an addiction, not a game.

A lot of people are in the same boat as you. But a lot of people like the changes. The deciding factor if EA's changes are good or bad for the game, are how it affects the game's longterm health and profitability. Not how you feel, personally. Game will go on with or without you. Whether it will do better or worse is yet to be seen. If you can't enjoy the current game, you should definitely not be spending.
  • clarkdiesel
    306 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Deleted
  • TerraArran
    341 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Nebulous wrote: »
    I am ranked 1 in arena. I've been playing since December. I am well aware of how to be f2p or low spender competitive. I don't need anyone championing about not spending.

But you're missing my point. It's about spending due to frustration not due to desire.

Don't spend or set a lock for in-app spending by asking someone close to you to put up a password. Works on iOS, not sure about Android though.

You'll get used to not spending and it won't make you feel **** for spending out of frustration.

• LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    99% of players will eventually quit. Paying and F2P. Maybe it is your time?

A lot of the P2P will quit spending, but continue to play. That is fine, too. EA doesn't need you to keep spending. New players do that enough.

It is natural for the desire to spend to go down over time. Which is why it's funny when people threaten to quit or change to F2P. No one cares that these people just figured out how the game is designed to work. We are all going to get off the train at some point. Give some thought on how you are going to leave.

Trust me, spending out of frustration is just giving yourself a reason to rage quit, lol. If that's how you want to leave, you will do it. If that's not how you want to leave, then think before you spend. It might be possible to leave on good terms. And much cheaper.

When I finally step off the train, I want to be glad I took the ride.
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    Options
    It's not an addiction. I DIDNT spend because I realized the purchase would have been to reduce frustration rather than happiness.

No I am not looking to quit nor get sympathy.

A few of you are focusing on me. I'm looking at the bigger picture. I am certain i am not the only person who has felt frustrated and wanted to make a purchase or even worse, made a purchase out of frustration. This is the cause for concern.

The frustration does come from lack of credits. I am on board with gating character promotions, gearing, skills, levels and even mods. It's the overall mongering of credits that drove me towards frustration. And thus in the path of a purchase that would have made me feel worse and not better about my gaming experience.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    Options
    Sorry if my posts were not helping. I didn't mean to suggest YOU were threatening to quit. I was just bringing up an example which I thought would help you to put things into perspective. Peace.
  • Options
    It's not an addiction. I DIDNT spend because I realized the purchase would have been to reduce frustration rather than happiness.

A few of you are focusing on me. I'm looking at the bigger picture. I am certain i am not the only person who has felt frustrated and wanted to make a purchase or even worse, made a purchase out of frustration. This is the cause for concern.

The frustration does come from lack of credits. I am on board with gating character promotions, gearing, skills, levels and even mods. It's the overall mongering of credits that drove me towards frustration. And thus in the path of a purchase that would have made me feel worse and not better about my gaming experience.

If you want more credits through other events you should be giving out suggestions to CG not telling us your spending because of frustration, not like they would make any effort to alleviate the credit crunch though. Considering the GW increase was not even noticeable.
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    Options
    TerraArran wrote: »

If you want more credits through other events you should be giving out suggestions to CG not telling us your spending because of frustration, not like they would make any effort to alleviate the credit crunch though. Considering the GW increase was not even noticeable.

You are not comprehending my message. I didn't spend from frustration. I have stated that multiple times. I stopped myself because I realized it would have been a purchase for the wrong reason.

I don't think they need to add credits to the game. I feel they need to lower the overall cost of credits so that everyone who plays the game will be impacted and not just those who are capable of overcoming whatever task rewards the extra currency.
  • TerraArran
    341 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

You are not comprehending my message. I didn't spend from frustration. I have stated that multiple times. I stopped myself because I realized it would have been a purchase for the wrong reason.

I don't think they need to add credits to the game. I feel they need to lower the overall cost of credits so that everyone who plays the game will be impacted and not just those who are capable of overcoming whatever task rewards the extra currency.

Then the topic of this thread should be the suggestion you just said, not "Spending because I'm frustrated?"

Highly doubt you suggestion would come to fruition until 3~4 months, but that is if they even considered using it in the first place.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    ? But if you focus on arena, you get more crystals.
    If you focus on a lot of 7S toons with **** gear, you are rank 250, but you can complete events?

Does not that even out? Rules are laid out for all to see.

When they rolled out the omega event, shortly after the cap was lifted, a lot of people were a player level too low to participate. Yeah, life sucks. Then you die.
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    Options

Then the topic of this thread should be the suggestion you just said, not "Spending because I'm frustrated?"

Highly doubt you suggestion would come to fruition until 3~4 months, but that is if they even considered using it in the first place.

It is in question form. It suggests why. But if the title is too misleading, followed by my actually postings, I will consider an edit.
    ? But if you focus on arena, you get more crystals.
    If you focus on a lot of 7S toons with **** gear, you are rank 250, but you can complete events?

Does not that even out? Rules are laid out for all to see.

When they rolled out the omega event, shortly after the cap was lifted, a lot of people were a player level too low to participate. Yeah, life sucks. Then you die.

I understand what your saying. Sometimes things seem unfair. Maybe they are and Maybe they are not. The question I would ask is, is there a legitimate argument to the issue? Omega challenge with a lower level limit, not a big deal. However when you couple it with only being able to get omegas at lvl 80, then maybe it's a legitimate issue. If level 80 was the only omega skills available, there wouldn't be an issue. So I can totally see "frustration" settling in. It's the frustration I am looking at.

There is the kind of frustration that comes along when trying to solo a world boss or defeat mega man 1 on Nintendo, but then there is frustration that is purposefully crafted. Designed to make its users feel the emotion. This is a bad game design. Credits currently make a lot of players frustrated. This will in turn cause players to make poor purchase decisions. This leads to regret. Then resentment. Bad times to be a player. A game should promote happiness, even with the purchase of pixels.
  • Options
    I'm glad you were able to stop yourself because spending out of frustration will only cause you more frustration. I haven't spent anything on the game since last month when I first felt true frustration from this game with the guild coin bug. It really helps to just take the game slower. Go three or four days where you log in and get everything done but you don't upgrade any mods or promote any characters or level anybody. Just let the credits accumulate for a bit and then start thinking again about how to spend them. I keep my credit count pretty high and only spend when I'm over a certain amount. Having a cushion seems to help alleviate some of the frustration. Knowing I could drop millions to upgrade a bunch of mods right now (and holding myself back) is a much better feeling than "I need millions to upgrade all my mods right now".
  • ShaolinPunk
    3486 posts Moderator
    Options
    If you have Gear 7 mods already make sense.
    If you have Gear 8, mods are an incredible deal.
    If you have Gear 10/11, mods are an absolute steal.

Just because they were nerfed does not make them too expensive. Unless you're gear 6, lol.

Good point. I'm getting some nicer 5* mods now, but realizing that I still need to get that gear up, man. That advantage was short-lived. :)
    **Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    ThunderGun wrote: »
    I'm glad you were able to stop yourself because spending out of frustration will only cause you more frustration. I haven't spent anything on the game since last month when I first felt true frustration from this game with the guild coin bug. It really helps to just take the game slower. Go three or four days where you log in and get everything done but you don't upgrade any mods or promote any characters or level anybody. Just let the credits accumulate for a bit and then start thinking again about how to spend them. I keep my credit count pretty high and only spend when I'm over a certain amount. Having a cushion seems to help alleviate some of the frustration. Knowing I could drop millions to upgrade a bunch of mods right now (and holding myself back) is a much better feeling than "I need millions to upgrade all my mods right now".
    This is definitely a solid approach to credits and just a relaxed attitude to most things does help. It's how I played this game so long as a low spender.

This is what sparked my thread. I, for the first time, found myself ready to buy due to a construct designed to create vexation. This is why I came here. Funneling players toward irritation is simply poisonous.
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Options