What is wrong with the current state of Mods?

Yes we all had fun when they got released and felt cut down by the nerf, but that really isn't the issue anymore.

1. We need the mods, but to get 5 dot takes so much energy now. I know it has been worked out and getting the type you want from a challenge is like 0.06% or something like that. Ridiculous, especially when it uses Cantina energy which is needed to farm shards.

2. We need specific teams to get specific mod types. 7 different teams of 5 maxed out toons. Include the idea that we have to have ewoks and droids too from previous events they want us to have 40+ maxed characters. This has two problems though.
2A. Credits - We can't possibly get enough maxed characters to do the mod challenges due to the lack of credits.
2B. We can't farm the shards we need in cantina because we need mods to stay relevant in GW/Arena/Raids, but we can't get the mods we need because we can't farm the shards. Catch 22.

So what needs to be done.

1. Change energy from Cantina or increase Cantina energy. Both easily done.
2. Increase credits or remove cost to star and level characters.
3. Remove 3/4 dot mods from the 5dot challenge and increase the drop rate slightly.

Not very difficult things to do, but will make people happier with the game.

Happy customers = spending customers = You get your bonuses.

Replies

• hhooo
    656 posts Member
    I think a reasonable solution to a lot of this would be simply to run the current "event" once a week. Have one day per week where we can rearrange mods, and level them up at a reduced price. And yes, a bit of extra cantina energy at the bonus times would be good to generate some good will. It doesn't have to be 45. Just 30 would still be a nice gesture.
  • They really could make EVERYTHING so simple and easy and fun. But they just would rather not. Slash every price in half, and there you go, credit crunch is over! It'd cost around 3m to max out a toon, which is not even a week of gw! And only like 200k for a 5 star mod!!! And don't worry if you need credits, because credit packs would then be a decent purchase... Nope nevermind they wouldn't. Credit packs are an awful value, I have no idea why they haven't increased them.
  • Bibislav
    40 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Didn't play mod challenges since they 'patched' them. Just now, I burned 120 energy on tier 3 health mod challenge, got one (one!!!) three dot, common mod. Won't touch it again, even if it backfires on my arena score and overall performance. And frustrated as I might get when everyone destroys me with mod advantage, I'll probably just quit.
  • Bibislav wrote: »
    Didn't play mod challenges since they 'patched' them. Just now, I burned 120 energy on tier 3 health mod challenge, got one (one!!!) three dot, common mod. Won't touch it again, even if it backfires on my arena score and overall performance. And frustrated as I might get when everyone destroys me with mod advantage, I'll probably just quit.

That is exactly what happened to me a couple of days ago, so I just went back to farming Anakin.
  • Even with the much needed nerf, there are still many issues with Mods.

1# Availability, everyone wants the best mods they can get, but sadly the best mods are at the end of mod challenges. The top tier players aren't even bothering making teams for the specific mod challenges as it is too tedious, they just farm health mods in the challenge because it's the only one incredibly easy to get a 5-dot mod since don't need specific characters.

2# The Mod store is far too overpriced considering that the best content is never even available there, you'd be blessed to so much as see a 3-dot mod.

Mod availability is the issue, and the lack of it still squanders diversity in favor of health mod spam.

• Whiteroom wrote: »
    Bibislav wrote: »

That is exactly what happened to me a couple of days ago, so I just went back to farming Anakin.

Based on the rarity of the energy required and the poor drop rate there's no reason to farm mods after you get enough to outfit your top 5. I wish they wouldn't have nerfed the drop rate
  • Whiteroom wrote: »
    Bibislav wrote: »

Based on the rarity of the energy required and the poor drop rate there's no reason to farm mods after you get enough to outfit your top 5. I wish they wouldn't have nerfed the drop rate

I agree. I have my top 5 modded but they are not very good mods and I can't get better ones.
  • Bibislav wrote: »

Did also exactly the same and got ZERO mods with my full cantina refresh! EA ist just ridiculous
  • Klocko
    1017 posts Member
    What's wrong? They're still overly complicated. A health symbol should give health, or maybe protection. A shield should give defense or maybe protection. The crit should boost crit. So on and so forth. The way it is now, the symbols mean nothing outside of set bonuses. It's dumb. They should also do one thing, and one thing only, no secondary stats. This game wasn't that complex before, I don't understand why they had to make this one aspect so complicated. Also way too expensive, both in energy and credits. Lower the credit cost and give them their own energy. Either that or add cantina energy to the bonus refills, or make cantina energy naturally refill at the same speed as normal energy. Remove the cost to remove permanently. I've got plenty more, but I'm tired.
  • Algren
    306 posts Member
    What's wrong (2)? The idea of giving toons a % increase in stats as a way of balancing the game and allowing toons that weren't good pre-mods to be usable is a flawed concept. Obviously if you're increasing based on a % then the mod will have a much greater effect on the toons already strong in that stat, so everyone who said the strong meta toons will just get stronger, was right. They've literally (somehow) managed to increase the gap between meta and non meta toons whilst trying to bridge it, it would be funny if it wasnt so annoying.

If they had gone the opposite direction, and the mods potency was inversly proportional to the current stat level then EVERY toon would have a chance of being viable. Make too much sense?
  • Algren wrote: »
    What's wrong (2)? The idea of giving toons a % increase in stats as a way of balancing the game and allowing toons that weren't good pre-mods to be usable is a flawed concept. Obviously if you're increasing based on a % then the mod will have a much greater effect on the toons already strong in that stat, so everyone who said the strong meta toons will just get stronger, was right. They've literally (somehow) managed to increase the gap between meta and non meta toons whilst trying to bridge it, it would be funny if it wasnt so annoying.

If they had gone the opposite direction, and the mods potency was inversly proportional to the current stat level then EVERY toon would have a chance of being viable. Make too much sense?

Got to agree completely on this, but thought argue the small points first. Then on how stupid the current state of them is now.
  • Kurgen
    226 posts Member
    Whiteroom wrote: »
    Algren wrote: »

Got to agree completely on this, but thought argue the small points first. Then on how **** the current state of them is now.

Yeah let's make all the toons the same (or as close as possible) so they are all viable.

Lol.
  • Honestly they should be harder to get and cost more
  • ZurinFet
    261 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    For me, one simple change:

- Keeping the mixed drop pool of MK3/4/5 but increase the drop rate to 100% (so you get at least 1 mod out of the 3 possible rarities).

People need to realize that it would take YEARS to get powerfull mods at the current drop rates, this simple change would just make it less of an RNG loop.

I would still lower the cantina refresh cost, but thats my wallet talking, I don't have data to evaluate if its a good idea for THEM.

After that, speed looks at a sweetspot in terms of balance, as it allows SOME control over character turns (and the order which you want your team to attack). But the other stats need a boost for sure. They were waaaay over-nerfed.
  • make them permanently free to change on toons

include a "remove all" button

include a "swap character" button to move a complete set to another character

get rid of all the redundant "are you sure" type of confirmations
  • Llewella
    400 posts Member
    My problem is that you have to FISH for secondary stats with credits. You can spend 200k gold to on a MK5 mod just to find out your offensive mod has defence and %defence as its last two secondary stats. The cost of lvling mods should be significantly reduced.
  • make them permanently free to change on toons

include a "remove all" button

include a "swap character" button to move a complete set to another character

get rid of all the redundant "are you sure" type of confirmations

Finally some relevant feedback!
  • Two words, "Drop rates".
  • Algren
    306 posts Member
    Kurgen wrote: »
    Whiteroom wrote: »
    Algren wrote: »

Got to agree completely on this, but thought argue the small points first. Then on how **** the current state of them is now.

Yeah let's make all the toons the same (or as close as possible) so they are all viable.

Lol.

Right, because obviously balanced means "the same". Get an education brah, or at least a dictionary.