Training Droids

Starfox
31 posts Member
I know a common discussion/complaint/argument that's going on right now is obviously over credits and how everything requires them, I just had a thought that a wanted to run by everybody to see what the general consensus would be.

While tinkering with training droids, I realized that each class of droid (one star, two stars, three stars, etc.) is directly proportional. For every 71 credits you spend, your character gains 10 experience. For a long time, that rubbed me the wrong way. I just now came to the realization as to why: There's no point in different classes of training droids if they all give the same amount of experience per credits paid.

If I get a 7 star training droid, it should either reward more experience than 400 training droids or cost less than those same 400 droids. That way, as a level 80 player trying to catch up with training new characters or build new teams for events/challenges (mod challenges, scoundrel event, Yoda), it won't take months or hundreds of dollars to train characters.

Some might argue that it would make the game too easy or ruin balance, but I have two points that need to be brought up to that.
1) A character's level might as well be pointless end game.
It's actually the weakest way to strengthen your character. We have mods now, plus gear is way more powerful than anything a training droid could do. I've only raised three characters to level 80, one of them I don't even bring into arena. My other three arena characters are 75, 74, and 77. And, those of you that haven't raised all of your characters to 80, were you ever really scared of a character 3-4 levels above you? I definitely still took 80's down with 70's.

2) It will allow people to be much more experimental at later levels.
Let's play some math games here. I just unlocked Old Ben recently. (Yay me) I wanted to bring him up to a decent level and play with him in GW to see how he would fare. Turns out, leveling a character from 1 to 80 is a little more than 4.6 million credits. Dang. Well, as a pay to play person, I'll just head over to the data packs and... Wait. Only 560k? I'll have to buy 9 credit packs to level a single character. Oh, a credit pack is just under $5 of crystals. Huh. Well, $45 is a bit much. Maybe if i just drop a hundred, I'd have enough credits to last me a while, get a few other characters up there. Oh. The $99.99 crystal pack gets me enough credit packs to get 14.4 million (pessimism again). That's only three characters that can be leveled. Something's wrong here...

I get that credits should be a limited resource. I just believe that training droids shouldn't be an unlimited resource. If this issue were fixed, it would be a two birds, one stone situation. More credits to go towards mods and gear, training droids would actually be something you would need to hunt for again, everybody would win! It isn't like our EA overlords would lose money on this deal. Most money I've spent has been on gear, shards, and energy. I'm positive that's every PTP player's main expense. And those expenses won't change if we made training droids much more feasible.

tl;dr: Either curve the higher star levels of training droids to give more experience/cost less credits for experience, or get rid of tiered training droids altogether. As is, it's pointless to have more than one kind.