Fresh outta jail, time for a mod guide.

Prev1
EscapeArtist51
1675 posts Member
edited July 2016
Guess who just got released from his life sentence ;)?!?! In honor of that I thought I'd help some of my more mod challenged forum mates better understand mods. This is all opinion based, and if you don't agree with me, well, I hate you. You should always agree with me.

THE BASICS
Mods are here to improve stats, and if you want to maximize your bonuses then you will want to have mods of the same type! With every 2 or 4 mods of the same type you gain a bonus. If you max those mods out your bonus is doubled. For example, I have two potency mods, if i put them on the same character then I get a +5 percent potency boost. Now if I get those two mods to max level my toon gets +10 percent more potency!

The Mod tier level is not the most important thing! Tier 1 mods may have a very good primary stat, such as speed! Speed is only available on the upper right arrow mod, and it is much more valuable at level 1 for some toons than lets say a defense or a health boost. Critical chance/ Critical damage as a primary stat is available on the mod in the middle, on the right side, it is also more valuable than other primary stat boosts, even at level 1. So dont take all low level mods for granted! Some are better than you may realize.

SPEED MOD SET BONUSES ARE NOT WORTH IT
Currently, speed mods are among the least useful mod types there are, that is because the set bonus only increases your speed based off of base stats. For example, if i have Old Ben, who has 112 speed, but i mod him to get 170 speed. His speed will only be raised by 10 percent of his original unmodded speed. So 10 percent of 112 is 11. Old Ben will only gain 11 speed, which is a horrible set bonus, and it takes 4 speed mods to use :/. It is much better to use potency on Old Ben, which only requires two potency mods and it gives you a flat 10 percent potency out of 100.

Anyways, here are the best Mod SET types for all the top tier toons, from best to worst. This list doesnt include primary stats, just set types, and it is all opinion based. If I didnt mention a mod type, its because they are not worth using for that toon. Generally crit damage is the most useful for attackers, with offense or crit chance following behind closely.

Rey - Crit damage, Offense, Crit chance

Genosian Soldier - Crit damage, Crit chance, Offense, health.

Qui Gon Jin - Offense mods, crit chance, crit damage mods, tenacity, potency, health.

Old Ben - Potency, speed, offense, crit chance, health, defense.

IG-88- Crit damage, Offense,
crit chance, potency.

IG-86 - Crit damage, Offense, crit chance, health.

HK-47 - Potency, Crit chance, crit damage offense, health.

Captain Phasma - Critical damage, Offense, potency, health.

Fives - Potency, critical damage, offense, health, crit chance.

Storm trooper Han - health, defense

Prince Leia - Crit damage, offense, crit chance.

Lando - Crit damage, crit chance, offense.

fLuke Skywalker - Crit damage, crit chance, potency, offense.

Admiral Snackbar - Crit damage, Crit chance, health, offense.

Grandma Daka - Potency, Health, speed, defense.

Royal God - Health, potency, defense.

Count Doodoo - Crit damage, crit chance, offense, potency, health, defense, tenacity.

First order TIE Pilot - Crit damage, offense, crit chance, health, speed.

Kylo Ren - Crit damage, offense, crit chance, health.

Teebo - Potency, health, offense, crit damage, crit chance.

Asajj Ventress - Crit damage, offense, crit chance, health, potency

Jawa Engineer - Health, speed, maybe potency, if you really want his basic to land.

Forgot the P2p toons because I'm a peasant and I have no monies.

Fun sac - Health, defense of course.

Rex - Not sure but I still believe it goes like this - crit damage, crit chance, offense, health.

Ahsoka - Crit Damage, crit chance, offense, health

Luminara - Crit damage, Health, crit chance, offense, potency.

Post edited by EscapeArtist51 on

Replies

• Options
    You missed protection on... Well, everything..

And in 9/10 circumamstances... Protection > Health.
  • Teague
    939 posts Member
    Options
    I'm curious, why potency on Asajj? And why crit damage on Kylo?
  • WhaleKiller1
    517 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Very true about speed mods; the set bonus isn't enough to take up 4 slots. I don't think IG-86 needs critical chance mods in a droid team ever with HK since his critical chance would be around 90% already with his unique and HK's leader ability. Straight up crit damage is all he needs.
  • EscapeArtist51
    1675 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Monobrow wrote: »
    You missed protection on... Well, everything..

And in 9/10 circumamstances... Protection > Health.
    Protection isn't a set type. That's why I excluded it. It's just a primary stat and yes you're right, it is much better in almost all circumstances
  • Options
    Speed kills.
  • EscapeArtist51
    1675 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Teague wrote: »
    Kylo needs the damage, and I'm not quite sure why I put potency so high for asajj. I was drunk at the time, and I think, I thought potency affects her ability to dispel. However I'm not sure it does anymore. Does anyone know if potency affects Asajj's debuff? Asajj does still have her stun aswell.
  • Naugrin
    686 posts Member
    Options
    He "left out" protection because he is talking about sets, not primary stats. There is no protection set.
  • Options
    Kylo needs the damage, and I'm not quite sure why I put potency so high for asajj. I was drunk at the time, and I think, I thought potency affects her ability to dispel. However I'm not sure it does anymore. Does anyone know if potency affects Asajj's debuff?

Nah potency doesn't affect dispel. It's only for applying negative effects.
  • Options
    Kylo needs the damage, and I'm not quite sure why I put potency so high for asajj. I was drunk at the time, and I think, I thought potency affects her ability to dispel. However I'm not sure it does anymore. Does anyone know if potency affects Asajj's debuff?

Nah potency doesn't affect dispel. It's only for applying negative effects.
    Well, yeah that changes everything potency sucks for Asajj then. I would really use her if her AI didn't have the IQ of a Labrador
  • Doga
    808 posts Member
    Options
    Congrats @EscapeArtist51 , guess you've earned your name. What is your opinion on using say mk1 or 2 mod sets, say crit damage and offense for Rey (or any other you've listed) vs using mk5 health sets? At what level does using the set become better than mk5 health being that many people only have access to the mk5 health and mk1 and 2's from the mod battle table?
  • Options
    Problem is most dont have the toons to do a lot of the sets you mentioned
  • Dayma
    260 posts Member
    Options
    Keep giving that type of advice, I love to encounter full Offensive / crit atk Rey and Leia with my full Speed Rey and Leia. I attack 3 times when they do 2 and I laugh so much.
  • Options
    Doga wrote: »
    Congrats @EscapeArtist51 , guess you've earned your name. What is your opinion on using say mk1 or 2 mod sets, say crit damage and offense for Rey (or any other you've listed) vs using mk5 health sets? At what level does using the set become better than mk5 health being that many people only have access to the mk5 health and mk1 and 2's from the mod battle table?
    I have a lot of useful 1 star mods that I use over the 5 star health ones.. I have a 1 star mod that gives 22 percent more crit damage, and also a 1 star mod that gives 7.5 crit chance.(only the triangle mod gives these two).
    But yeah for an attacker I'd take that low level mod over a 5 star mod that increases health or defense anyday.

My Rey has four, 1 star or 2 star crit damage mods equipped, not only that, she's only gear 9. She is able to do 30k on a leverage if it crits. And even more with her flurry. If I were you I would get crit damage mods, but I'd equip whatever health damage mods have very good secondary stats(ones that give out a lot of speed are rare and valuable).
    5 percent extra health as a set bonus does very little for Rey, compared to the massive 30 percent extra damage for crit damage mods.

Also, offense is very useful, but it's still slightly behind crit damage mods for a lot of toons, because there is already such a high chance for toons like Rey to crit.
  • EscapeArtist51
    1675 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Dayma wrote: »
    Keep giving that type of advice, I love to encounter full Offensive / crit atk Rey and Leia with my full Speed Rey and Leia. I attack 3 times when they do 2 and I laugh so much.
    So you stuck 4 speed mods on Rey to get an extra 16 speed? You took that over 30 percent more crit damage or 10 percent crit chance, or 10 percent offense? That's what you're saying you did. Why are you laughing at that? It doesn't seem worth it man. Not to mention the fact you have to raise up and farm garbage resistance toons just to get it.
  • Synfreak
    277 posts Member
    Options
    Dayma wrote: »

Congrats! Your team gets beaten just like everybody else's. Keep thinking you are OP though.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    good to see you free buddy !
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    leef wrote: »
    good to see you free buddy !
    Lol yeah it's good to be out. I noticed you're free too lol. I'm a changed man now bro. While in prison, I found RNGesus. I am but a humble servant of his. Jail is an awful place for a kind guy like me, the food is poor, everyone's always angry, my cellmate kept insisting on giving me his light saber, even though I have my own. It was rough indeed, however now I am free to post my stoopid threads as I please.
  • Zeu
    95 posts Member
    Options
    i stopped reading after you said speed bonuses are not worth it.

Tell that to my 210 speed ben who always goes first :)
  • pac0naut
    3236 posts Member
    Options
    Out on bail, fresh out of jail, California dreamin....
    Meanwhile, down on the farm....
  • Options
    2/10
    Needs more tenacity.
    Fail.
    Royal Gods are everywhere. Can't do much in a match if your @**** is slowed down and stunned all the time.
  • Options
    Zeu wrote: »

I mean the speed mod set bonus... Not primary or secondary stats.. Is 11 speed worth 20 percent more potency to you? That's what you could get if you put potency mods in place of the speed ones.. It just doesn't make sense. Why have the speed bonus set modifier be based off of regular un modded stats, and if they are gonna be like that, why make it cost 4 mod slots.
  • Doga
    808 posts Member
    Options
    Doga wrote: »
    I have a lot of useful 1 star mods that I use over the 5 star health ones.. I have a 1 star mod that gives 22 percent more crit damage, and also a 1 star mod that gives 7.5 crit chance.(only the triangle mod gives these two).
    But yeah for an attacker I'd take that low level mod over a 5 star mod that increases health or defense anyday.

My Rey has four, 1 star or 2 star crit damage mods equipped, not only that, she's only gear 9. She is able to do 30k on a leverage if it crits. And even more with her flurry. If I were you I would get crit damage mods, but I'd equip whatever health damage mods have very good secondary stats(ones that give out a lot of speed are rare and valuable).
    5 percent extra health as a set bonus does very little for Rey, compared to the massive 30 percent extra damage for crit damage mods.

Also, offense is very useful, but it's still slightly behind crit damage mods for a lot of toons, because there is already such a high chance for toons like Rey to crit.

I am not 100% convinced. IMO it's more about the primary and secondary stats on mk5's vs mk1's. Yes, the 20% crit damage is nice but all modifiers being the same the primary and secondary bonus of mk5 is light years better than an mk1 in most cases. All of my health mods got nerfed to vanilla when they changed flat number modifiers to percentages (any I had with crit chance or damage changed to protection) but if I compare secondary stats it seems possible to get close to the 20% crit damage using just secondary stats on mk5 health mods.
  • Zeu
    95 posts Member
    Options

I mean the speed mod set bonus... Not primary or secondary stats.. Is 11 speed worth 20 percent more potency to you? That's what you could get if you put potency mods in place of the speed ones.. It just doesn't make sense. Why have the speed bonus set modifier be based off of regular un modded stats, and if they are gonna be like that, why make it cost 4 mod slots.

it is when you go against a 200 Rex.. every point matters

In arena is all about speed.
  • WhaleKiller1
    517 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

The speed set bonus only gave him 11 more speed. Is that really worth four mod slots that could be used for something else? Maybe it is but it doesn't seem like a huge boost.

• Zeu
    95 posts Member
    Options
    30 primary .. 4 set bonus.. + speed on every single mod...then qgj leader . i needed to beat this guy Rex, otherwise i can't keep my number one spot. He runs anakin leader 210 speed rex 201 speed qgj 191 aayla and fives 170+

My rey and ben going before his toons assure an easy win for me :)
  • Doga
    808 posts Member
    Options

The speed set bonus only gave him 11 more speed. Is that really worth four mod slots that could be used for something else? Maybe it is but it doesn't seem like a huge boost.

I'm also curious how you got him to 210. That would mean you put enough mods on him to get 87 more speed after the set bonus. The highest speed primary is 30 and you can only have one of those and it's rare to find secondaries that are extremely high.

I have a mk5 health transmitter with 9 speed as a secondary so I can see it as theoretically possible but would be as lucky as winning the lottery to get +9 or better on every mod as secondary.
  • Dayma
    260 posts Member
    Options
    Synfreak wrote: »
    Congrats! Your team gets beaten just like everybody else's. Keep thinking you are OP though.
    Funny, where did I said I was OP ? Just said that it's not really the mod set that determines what to put on what char, but the stat of the top 5-10 arena ennemy you got on your Arena Server.

If I fight only 240+ Rey and Leia I got to have mine faster If I dont want to have my toon dead before even playing.
    Some as you need to tune your STH speed lower than ennemy QGJ if you dont wanna be **** too much in def.

Then again of course i got beaten, just saying mods are tricky and the secondary stats matter way more than the set bonus.

Besides it's kinda funny seing "Crit Atk Set is the way to go" when its the harder challenge to finish.
    It's so easy to deal with the speed challenge in contrast (yea cuz rey can OS any char and with 25x SPD she goes so often that you just need full protect mods on your lv 60 resistance team and a good RNG to finish it. It's a whole other story with jawas...

But then again, make me laugh ! :)

• Doga
    808 posts Member
    Options
    30 primary .. 4 set bonus.. + speed on every single mod...then qgj leader . i needed to beat this guy Rex, otherwise i can't keep my number one spot. He runs anakin leader 210 speed rex 201 speed qgj 191 aayla and fives 170+

Sounds beastly. I've noticed Ben on defense sometimes using his primary attack, not sure why but imagine makes a tough grind facing Ben going first.
  • EscapeArtist51
    1675 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Old Ben is actually a rare case where speed mods can be useful, however for attackers such as Rey or Leia, it just doesn't make sense to choose speed mods over the extra damage they could have. Rey has around 160 original base speed I think. So that becomes +16 speed once you have 4 speed mods equipped. Would you really take 16 more speed over 30 percent more crit damage? She already has atleast 40 percent crit chance. Critical damage will be the most common mod, and the most effective. Speed kills yes, 16 more speed? Over the chance to do ALOT More damage? No. It's just not worth it. Sure, your Rey can go first and deal 13k with her leverage. Then my Rey will go and do 18k with her leverage. It's literally less than 10 percent more speed for your toon bro. This game isn't a one on one game. Dealing much more damage trumps having a little bit more speed
  • Zeu
    95 posts Member
    Options
    nah, my rey has health mods just cause i didn't have time to go for others.. been farming the **** speed mods to build up the current team..

Old ben is the only one i use speed mods on :)