Why are certain mods limited?!?

GrimmVonHell
338 posts Member
edited July 2016
I don't understand why Square mods were made Offense% only and Diamond mods Defense% only. Why kill the diversity of these mods? What was the reasoning behind this?

It would be great if we could get a comment from a dev as to why. It doesn't make sense, it forces us to focus on the totally random sub stats that are usually negligible at best. Even a max Def% mod barely adds 1-3% Armor. I'd much rather have any other stat then Def%. The reasoning behind this just seems odd to me.

It seems certain shapes can have any main stat, while some are limited to a just a few, and then of course 2 that will only always have 1. I feel since mods were nerfed so hard (took away certain stats, changed certain stats, limited certain stats, etc and drastically reduced set bonuses) any shape should have any main stat. It would lessen the huge blow that was the nerf, while still retaining balance and promote spending.

It would allow us much more customization, encourage us to complete any and all mod battles/challenges, and further promote more farming for that "perfect set" for our fav chars. My Daka has 4 HP mods and 1 useless Off% & Def% mod. She should be able to have 6 HP mods with HP main stat.

There is no down side to this idea and many I have discussed this with fully agree that this should be the next step to the reworking/tweaking of mods. Besides introducing very rare unique pre-set stat mod sets ;)

Think about it ...it'll make us happy, make us want to spend more, which in turn makes you happy w/fatter wallets. And not to mention just might make redeeming yourself possible from the fiasco that is now known as precrafting 2.0 ...Cuz mod appreciation weekend ain't cutting it for me, not after the thousands of crystals and millions of credits I spent on now garbage mods :/

@EA_Jesse
@CG_JohnSalera
@CG_Kozispoon

Replies

• Toukai
    1822 posts Member
    no-one-knows.jpeg
  • Mynd
    233 posts Member
    Can't say if the limitations to main attributes would benefit from change or not. There is probably a strong argument to be made that this reduces being able to carry a stat too far by stacking too many of one main attribute. Imagine 6 offense only mods on a Rey or something even though that +speed Arrow Mod is pretty much essential to be competitive. I definitely would not want to see 6 mods capable of +speed. Potency would get out of hand as well.

You have to consider why the limitation exists just as much as you've considered what you can do if more attributes were available as a main stat.
  • It's kind of messed up that they dish out so many of the square offense mods yet the arrow and plus sign mods are rare af. I have so many spare square ones it's pathetic.

Anything to irritate the players I guess. It wouldn't be the same game otherwise.
  • Speed will almost certainly be reduced per mod, iN is already discussing it with the devs and you know who the devs listen to :p and if this change were made then I'm all for it, it would actually be a great reason as to why the Speed main stat is/will be getting nerfed.

As for all offense ...why not, ya it'll allow some chars to hit harder, but that just means they'll be easier to take down, debuff, etc. Each offense mod barely adds 100-200 offense anyway so it's not like it'll be OP, certainly nothing like it was when mods were released. It would actually promote the chars designated role, ie: Attacker, Tank, etc.

There really is no downside, it would only allow more precise and fun customization :)
  • BAMFer
    89 posts Member
    I think it's better to go in battles and get Plus or Arrow shaped mods that are only 1* or 2* than to keep stockpiling worthless 5* square or diamond mods.
  • Exactly, I'm not even bothering with certain battles/challenges because of this. This rework would encourage everyone to complete everything which in the end earns EA even more $ ...win/win ;) and let's face it, $ talks and this is needed for the future of mods and SWGOH as a whole.
  • SmokeyJoe320
    931 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    I agree with @Mynd. The stacking of mods would get out of control. I have a couple of arrow mod which give +17 speed. If I was able to mix 6 of those into 6 different slots, I would get +102 speed. That would make the mods more absurd than pre-nerf. (I liked the pre-nerfed mods BTW).

Or what about crit % chance or crit damage? I have some mods that offer +24% critical damage. Could you imagine a Rey with 6 of those 144% critical damage? She'd kill the rancor by herself.

Or how about 6x protection on a RG?

You would have to nerf the mods so hard again to make this workable and not crazy OP, that then the only way they would be usable is if you had a full set of 6.
  • scuba
    14040 posts Member
    orgininally there was some choice. % offense or intger added offense. With the fix to mods the flat numbers were removed and left only 1 option.

I would love to see some added primary options.
  • pac0naut
    3236 posts Member
    Speed will almost certainly be reduced per mod, iN is already discussing it with the devs and you know who the devs listen to :p and if this change were made then I'm all for it, it would actually be a great reason as to why the Speed main stat is/will be getting nerfed.

@GrimmVonHell This is a joke, right?
    Meanwhile, down on the farm....
  • ShaolinPunk
    3486 posts Moderator
    Are you asking why RNG is random?
    **Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107
  • No joke, many are moving for Speed to get nerfed, if it happens I'm hoping they make some adjustments in other areas, ie: open up mod Main stat options.
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    No joke, many are moving for Speed to get nerfed, if it happens I'm hoping they make some adjustments in other areas, ie: open up mod Main stat options.

Not so much for speed to get nerfed, but other stats brought up in power to be on par with speed. Right now, speed is incredibly powerful--pretty much the most powerful.

I also authored a thread asking for stats to be reallocated to the square and diamond mods. They are very dull and lackluster in their current form--Absolutely zero primary mod flexibility. I'd like to see accuracy move to the square offensive mod and critical avoidance moved to the defensive diamond mod.
    Post edited by Nebulous on
  • scuba wrote: »
    orgininally there was some choice. % offense or intger added offense. With the fix to mods the flat numbers were removed and left only 1 option.

I would love to see some added primary options.

And that's a very clear sign of how CG operates: mindless, hasty, short-termed and impetuous. Look, they have designed mods with something in mind - at least i hope that this was the case (even though they don't share these kind if information). There must have been some reasons behind those decisions. And then, when the update went life, everything failed, period. With the consecutive updates they also nerfed the primary stats (which was to some extent necessary) and by that removing this second option for absolute gain in offense/defense for those two slots. But with that they have ignored prior decisions. There must be also a total lack of internal communication, someone who says: "Hey, if you remove those absolute primary stats then these two slots are under performing. We must consider this!". No, they just "fix" A without thinking about it's influence on B (or bluntly ignoring them), especially problematic if B was tied to the effectiveness of A somehow.

Rinse and repeat ...

On topic: I totally agree. Those slots are the least leveled ones on all my chars for a reason. Who even defense (at an percentage based rate) anyhow? i like the idea of specific slots being tied to specific aspects of combat (each slot covering different aspects like offense, defense, hp/protection with different primaries each; offense=crit chance/damage, offense, ...), but then i would suggest giving the square and diamond mods also primary stat possibilities for tenacity/critical avoidance/...
  • Anyway to get a Dev comment on this topic?

@CG_Kozispoon
  • Fitz
    302 posts Member
    Because mods are copy paste from summoners war? Where also slots 1, 3 and 5 have a fix basic stats and only slot 2 can have speed.