Why change the Speed bonuses on Mods??

Prev1
StormTro0p3R_H
1643 posts Member
edited July 2016
I've read rumors that serious discussions are being had to limit the Speed bonuses on mods...I don't really see the reasoning behind this.

The Speed primary stat is only available on one mod. Offensively, there is no better mod than a Speed primary and that's a cold, hard fact...but there is only one slot for that offensive madness to be had.

Are we talking about removing speed as a secondary stat? I mean, the fact that it can pop up in a golden level one mod and end up with +16 speed as a secondary stat is insane. At least the availability issue of the single +30 speed bonus and then single +10% speed bonus has it's form of balance, but the idea that every mod could be adding +12 speed AND the +30 AND the +10% seems excessive. This being a serious case of either "luck" or "volume" to achieve makes it seem awful, game-wise, so I can see the appeal to oppose this.

If we are worried about the fact that +30 speed is so much higher than the set bonus of 10%, just look at health primary stat bonuses versus it's set: you can get +23.52% health from primary stat mod bonuses, and just 15% from set bonuses. Speed primary on Rey could give 18.29% stat bonus versus 10% set bonus. Both those are separated by a little over 8%. Sure, the slower the character, the higher the % the primary stat gives, but is anyone griping about adding +30 speed to "slow" characters?

Let's be clear before open discussion: I have a serious bit of strategy geared towards speed in my one and only team I have in this game. They're all decked with speed primaries and one with speed set bonus. So yeah, I stand to lose a lot if the primary stat was eradicated, but what sets me apart from the other guys (at least on my leaderboard) isn't speed primaries, but my insane speed secondaries: +16, +12, +8, +8, +7... all that on the same guy with a +30 primary....+81 speed. That's ridiculous.

Right now I'm faster than the Droids on my leaderboard, but I've investigated the effects of eradicating the speed secondaries, and without at least the speed secondaries to set you apart, no one could outpace the Droids. And if you can't outpace the Droids then they are likely going to beat you so perhaps everyone is sore about the speed bonuses for one reason or another but making a single build so much faster than everything else doesn't seem like a good idea...
Post edited by StormTro0p3R_H on

Replies

• Yudoka
    1274 posts Member
    I think people are talking about speed as a whole when looking at the potential max of the primary plus all the uber secondaries.

And yes, I see all primary stats at the higher end being better than the set bonuses as a problem. I can get +22.5% Crit Damage bonus from a 1* mod while the set bonus that takes up 4 slots gives me +30%. Potency on a 1* mod is +15%, way above it's set bonus. Those set bonuses should be the gold standard, not second fiddle.
    They groaned, they stirred, they all uprose, Nor spoke, nor moved their eyes; It had been strange, even in a dream, To have seen those dead men rise.
  • Durrun
    1019 posts Member
    I agree with our resident data analyst and number cruncher @StormTro0p3R_H
  • gobears21
    1265 posts Member
    Where are these "rumors" coming from? I haven't read anything yet.... so for me you just started one lol
  • gobears21 wrote: »
    Where are these "rumors" coming from? I haven't read anything yet.... so for me you just started one lol

I agree with @gobears21

Rumors are rumors but OP you hold abit of weight to your name so where do these rumors come from?.
  • StormTro0p3R_H
    1643 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Turns out, that anyway you slice it, a Droid team will outpace you if not for good luck with secondary speed stats.

If no speed bonuses on mods: the droid TEAM can move at up to 203 speed with 189 being the highest speed a single non-droid character can move and 168 being the fastest you can get any other TEAM to move.

If only primary stat and set bonus: the droid TEAM can move at up to 248 speed with 235 being the highest speed a single non-droid character can move and 212 being the fastest you can get any other TEAM to move. This is also the baseline at which we set now, pre-speed secondaries.

So the only hope that there is against Droids being the single fastest team is having better luck than them on your speed secondaries. And just to dampen the effectiveness of a neat fix I've seen: the inverse % speed bonus would make the droids even further ahead UNLESS speed bonuses apply nominal bonuses before inverse % bonuses. But honestly it seems like a headache to fix. Easiest would be to nerf the turn meter boost on Jawa Engineer...
    Post edited by StormTro0p3R_H on
  • gobears21 wrote: »

I agree with @gobears21

Rumors are rumors but OP you hold abit of weight to your name so where do these rumors come from?.

GIve me a bit to find it. I'd rather quote it than just say...
  • Durrun
    1019 posts Member
    I just took a look back I know the post you're referencing @StormTro0p3R_H couldn't find it in the 10 min break I had at work
  • @Mofojokers1992 @gobears21
    Speed will almost certainly be reduced per mod, iN is already discussing it with the devs and you know who the devs listen to :p and if this change were made then I'm all for it, it would actually be a great reason as to why the Speed main stat is/will be getting nerfed.

As for all offense ...why not, ya it'll allow some chars to hit harder, but that just means they'll be easier to take down, debuff, etc. Each offense mod barely adds 100-200 offense anyway so it's not like it'll be OP, certainly nothing like it was when mods were released. It would actually promote the chars designated role, ie: Attacker, Tank, etc.

There really is no downside, it would only allow more precise and fun customization :)

I don't know this guy but that's a bold claim if he's just blowing smoke.
  • StormTro0p3R_H
    1643 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Anyway, the eradication of the decently high speed secondaries will leave the Droids standing alone as far as DPS goes. I know tanky teams, and especially Clones, can handle them (Clones embarassingly easily,) but Droids vs Clones is possibly drier than a speed meta.
  • SmokeyJoe320
    931 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    I hate the complaints about droid speed. They are the only faction that actually works properly because the only way they get that speed is if you keep adding to the faction. You need HK with the omega and probably Jawa Engineer - not sure how he compares to Poggle's speed up for droids... I don't have JE but I do have Poggle on my droid team. Poggle gives the speed boost too.

My point is, you actually have to work at forming a full team and farm all of them to get to that great speed advantage (not to mention adding the mods too). Other toons like Rey, you just need to add the mods and she can easily slide into any roster as an absolute killer at one of the fastest speeds.

So yeah, all the droid talk annoys me because I run droids but they are not in the same boat as single characters when it comes to speed. That IS their synergy advantage and you only get that when they max out and join them all together.

If more people ran Ewok teams everyone would be screaming about all the Ewok nuttiness that goes on and how they need to be nerfed but it is the same thing. If you take the time to invest and level up a full wok squad, more power to you. That is when they become most powerful.

On the contrary, it is much easier to adjust and farm one single character into a speed god, especially if you already have them at a decent level. You can essentially take any 5 random characters and become nearly as fast as the droids without any synergy. But without the synergy, they shouldn't be faster. I don't see a problem here. I see Storm's point about secondary stats but I think the speed synergy complaints with droids is off base.
  • Snake2
    1455 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    I think the most fun situation is when all the options have a roughly equal level of strength.

It doesn't have to mean every mod stat is good for every character, but every mod stat should be good for someone.

I'd like to say, "darn I didn't get a speed mod, but this health mod will really upgrade rg."

What I'm saying now is, "darn I didn't get a speed mod, here's another worthless mod for the mod pile."
  • Droids aren't the only functioning faction. Let's not forget clones. Which are amazeballs
  • Yudoka
    1274 posts Member
    I hate the complaints about droid speed. They are the only faction that actually works properly because the only way they get that speed is if you keep adding to the faction. You need HK with the omega and probably Jawa Engineer - not sure how he compares to Poggle's speed up for droids... I don't have JE but I do have Poggle on my droid team. Poggle gives the speed boost too.

My point is, you actually have to work at forming a full team and farm all of them to get to that great speed advantage (not to mention adding the mods too). Other toons like Rey, you just need to add the mods and she can easily slide into any roster as an absolute killer at one of the fastest speeds.

So yeah, all the droid talk annoys me because I run droids but they are not in the same boat as single characters when it comes to speed. That IS their synergy advantage and you only get that when they max out and join them all together.

If more people ran Ewok teams everyone would be screaming about all the Ewok nuttiness that goes on and how they need to be nerfed but it is the same thing. If you take the time to invest and level up a full wok squad, more power to you. That is when they become most powerful.

I use droids in arena and their ability to take multiple attacks and go first is huge on offense (they don't do as well on AI defense as other teams).

JE is insane for the team and makes Poggle all by pointless. JE gets a bonus of +10 speed for each droid and Jawa so at the minimum he'll get +40 speed. Stack some speed stuff on him and he can easily reach 190+ speed before his own speed bonus applies (my JE uses only 1 and 2* mods and is sitting at 191 speed). So when it comes to the first turn, JE has 230+ speed, allowing him to take the first action. He then use his TM and crit boost ability to boost every droid to 100% TM which means they now take their turns. This then combo'd with HK's lead now allows droids to take multiple actions as when 88 and HK use their AoE's, each instant of a crit provides a +50% TM bonus and with all the crit bonuses you pretty much always score at least two crits.

I regularly kill Rey before the opposing team gets to take a single action so regular Rey teams are pretty easy to beat. However, due to the low HP of the key droids, Anikan teams are pretty difficult to beat as his buffed AoE can usually kill several of your guys in a single go. Thankfully that team isn't too popular at the moment. At least not on my server.
    They groaned, they stirred, they all uprose, Nor spoke, nor moved their eyes; It had been strange, even in a dream, To have seen those dead men rise.
  • I hate the complaints about droid speed. They are the only faction that actually works properly because the only way they get that speed is if you keep adding to the faction. You need HK with the omega and probably Jawa Engineer - not sure how he compares to Poggle's speed up for droids... I don't have JE but I do have Poggle on my droid team. Poggle gives the speed boost too.

I like Droids for all the reasons you mentioned. Before Droids had JE I cobbled together a Rebel-HRS-centric team to basically allow what JE does for Droids to be done with my Rebels. I only bring them up because when you talk about speed, JE is without a doubt the fastest character in the game. So when you talk about removing speed boosts, you eliminate the little chance you have of meeting or exceeding the speed of the droid team.

I mentioned that nerfing the turn meter boost to JE would be easier than "fixing" speed mods, but honestly my stance, and I realize it isn't perfectly clear, is that they should leave the speed mods alone, leave JE alone, and let droids keep the base advantage they have at being the fastest and continue to allow the "chance" for other teams to meet or exceed their speed.
  • They could half the speed bonus as primary on the triangle mod & it would be still be preferred for anyone that not a tank -- Its completely out of whack (same as speed secondaries).

Can't see why they would chance it though, anyone that didn't spend tons of cash on the two 100% drop rate days have huge incentive to spend crystals on mod-energy refreshes to try and luck on speed primary (and secondary).
  • gobears21
    1265 posts Member
    appreciate the quote... honestly the +30 speed is probably a bit excessive but I don't really know. I do know I'd once again be mad about mods if they just nerfed up my speed mods since I spent a ton on those both the leveling up of a base speed stat and also in scratching off the mod lottery tickets to see what was underneath.

All in all with the exception of making a toon like Han viable (the new one not sth) and maybe one or two others mods have been virtually a net zero proposition or perhaps added a little offense to people who got lucky in the mod lottery. Overall I said it before and I'll say it again; I like them for raid purposes but I hate them for arena... big expense little value.
  • Snake2 wrote: »
    I think the most fun situation is when all the options have a roughly equal level of strength.

It doesn't have to mean every mod stat is good for every character, but every mod stat should be good for someone.

I'd like to say, "darn I didn't get a speed mod, but this health mod will really upgrade rg."

What I'm saying now is, "darn I didn't get a speed mod, here's another worthless mod for the mod pile."

I'm all for this, but as you can see the game state concerning speed NEEDS high speed secondary stats. The primary stat can be lowered, even eradicated, but without high speed secondary stats what hope is there that you can get a team to move as fast as droids?

I know from experience that most Droid encounters I've had, even before I got my sick speed bonuses from mods, resulted in: JE, 88, 88, 86 and then possibly 88 again or possibly 47,47. A team that does this is not what I'm worried about, 3-4 attacks are not the issue. Droids can go: JE, 88, 88, 86, 47, 47, 100, 100. Hitting you with 3 AoEs, and 3 rock solid 10K bursts before you move! Clones break up this party, as does Anakin. As of now, so does my Rebel team. I don't mind the idea of an Anakin team, cause who doesn't like Anakin? But having to choose Droid or Clones otherwise? Where's the fun and diversity?

So if we need high speed, and want equal bonus...then boost other mod bonuses?? Not sure why the change was so drastic when it happened on anything but speed mods. I honestly don't remember the others but speed was twice as much, lol. Were the others so bad they needed hit so hard?
  • Droids aren't the only functioning faction. Let's not forget clones. Which are amazeballs
    I just faced a droid team in my top 10. They went first, IG-88 aoe'd my team dealing about 7k to most of them, then he went again, then dealt 18k damage to my Rey with his, basic killing her. IG-86 used his special on my Genosian soldier and killed him. HK-47 also went twice with an aoe then regular attack. I got my first turn 18 seconds into the game with only 3 surviving members(I had a dodge lead, which was Grandpa Ben). Droids imo are gonna become the meta, I think maybe only a clone team can beat them for sure, but I don't think ANY team can properly defend against them with the AI at the helm.
    I just faced a droid team in my top 10. They went first, IG-88 aoe'd my team dealing about 7k to most of them, then he went again, then dealt 18k damage to my Rey with his, basic killing her. IG-86 used his special on my Genosian soldier and killed him. HK-47 also went twice with an aoe then regular attack. I got my first turn 18 seconds into the game with only 3 surviving members(I had a dodge lead, which was Grandpa Ben). Droids imo are gonna become the meta, I think maybe only a clone team can beat them for sure, but I don't think ANY team can properly defend against them with the AI at the helm.

In my experience running droids, against an OldB lead, either Rey or GS will dodge and survive that initial rush. I've also faced teams that had quite substantial protection/hp bonuses on Rey that made killing her before the rush finished very difficult. Throw a RG in there, and maybe Daka, and I wouldn't even try to face that team with my droids. At least not in the 100-200 range that I'm in. There are plenty of easier teams available to face there. In top 10, maybe I'd have to chance it. Keep in mind that if droids DIDN'T act the way they did, then Rey would just go first every fight and OHKO someone anyway. Either way, someone gets their first turn down a toon. At least droids require full synergy to do it, instead of a single toon accomplishing much the same.
  • scuba
    14043 posts Member
    Droids aren't the only functioning faction. Let's not forget clones. Which are amazeballs

Beat them every day with ease with IGD, Aalya, QGJ, Anakin, Sun Fac. First 30-45 seconds is AI attacking, jedi couter attacking, B2 attacking, jedi counter attacking.
    B2 and 88 just about kill themselves before I make a move.
  • Durrun
    1019 posts Member
    @scuba I got a friend aiming for a similar IGD counter squad.. Is that what you recommend? In place of sun Fac who do you think, he's FTP
  • Han Solo! Stun JE/Rey/Leia. Go about your business. When everyone has Han Solo, like when everyone used Poe back in December/January then it goes back to a coin flip for who goes first and it is back to speed for the rest of the characters. Lol
  • scuba
    14043 posts Member
    Durrun wrote: »
    @scuba I got a friend aiming for a similar IGD counter squad.. Is that what you recommend? In place of sun Fac who do you think, he's FTP

Tough call. I like Sunfac for his dispell and taunt.
    5's might be good for some surviability I have seen him hold his own against 4 opponents and through speed down not a bad thing.
  • I've seen a Secondary Stat on a Mod that gave +25 Speed! Combine that with The primary +30 Speed arrow mod and a couple of other secondary speed mods and you have some real magic happen. Lol
  • Aniema
    602 posts Member
    It doesn't matter if they change/nerf/boost speed imo. I face team everyday that all have the +30 speed receiver mod, and I still beat them easily. Speed doesn't mean squat if your stunned!!
  • EscapeArtist51
    1675 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    scuba wrote: »
    Droids aren't the only functioning faction. Let's not forget clones. Which are amazeballs

Beat them every day with ease with IGD, Aalya, QGJ, Anakin, Sun Fac. First 30-45 seconds is AI attacking, jedi couter attacking, B2 attacking, jedi counter attacking.
    B2 and 88 just about kill themselves before I make a move.
    I'm actually aiming to make that squad. Minus fun sac. I dunno though, the droid team was modded with crit damage mods and they had RG. It's gonna be tough to beat em with that generic Old Benny squad that everyone sees in the top 10.
  • Durrun
    1019 posts Member
    With speed mods I think an aoe squad might be viable. Droids without the droids.
    Thinkin
    Ani Lead
    Lando
    Clone Sargent (for turn 1 aoe TM reduc)
    Phasma
    And maybe IG88 to go after phasma speed down?
    Might be fun for GW clear lol
  • Snake2
    1455 posts Member
    I notice your argument about speed seems heavily influenced by the droid squads. Obviously you'd like to make mods balanced when compared to themselves. If a certain faction gains a significantly larger advantage from mods then you need to look at that faction as well.

It's hard to imagine they will make (more) sweeping changes to mods and droids though. They've already angered people enough lately.

If you were to change only one thing, I think health and especially defense could stand to improve significantly in relation to other mods.
  • scuba
    14043 posts Member
    Durrun wrote: »
    With speed mods I think an aoe squad might be viable. Droids without the droids.
    Thinkin
    Ani Lead
    Lando
    Clone Sargent (for turn 1 aoe TM reduc)
    Phasma
    And maybe IG88 to go after phasma speed down?
    Might be fun for GW clear lol

That is similar team comp I am thinking but with 88 lead.
  • Durrun
    1019 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    @scuba phasma highest speed uses advantage, ani next in line buffs offence up and gives dots to whole team for 88 and lando to clean up.. Love it!

Also thoughts on this
    Gun Di lead
    Aayla
    Anakin
    Lumi/Barris? Or just more dps?
    Plo for dispel in place of sun Fac?
    Or is qui gon good enough dispel?