What's the Incentive of Collecting? (vs. Leveling Up for PvP)

I'm the kind of player who likes to spend my points and energy on collecting shards for different characters. But it feels like the game, as it is now, rewards players for repeatedly spend points on the same characters on your PvP team.

Even for Galaxy Wars, due to the extreme difficulty towards the latter battles, it is also better to have a small team of high-star characters.

If I have 10 4~5* characters and I'm up against 5 6~7* characters, I have almost no chance of completing Galaxy Wars.

So it seems the game punishes players for collecting more characters? Agree/disagree? Should devs do more to encourage different play styles?

Replies

• Galactic War is supposed to reward a deep roster, but as you get stronger and the opponents get harder I've found I have to deploy my 'A' team throughout anyway.

Hopefully as time goes on there will be events and challenges for specific teams in droids, Jedi, first order, etc.
  • MackemSLAM wrote: »
    Galactic War is supposed to reward a deep roster, but as you get stronger and the opponents get harder I've found I have to deploy my 'A' team throughout anyway.

Hopefully as time goes on there will be events and challenges for specific teams in droids, Jedi, first order, etc.
    Exactly. If a team isn't good enough for PvP they're not good enough for Galactic War. So it doesn't reward a deeper roster as much as we hoped.
  • This is not Pokemon, where your goal is to 'catch 'em all!' Here, it is quality vs quantity. As you stated, a smaller group of maxed characters is going to take it over a large group of middle characters 9/10 times.
  • The geek inside wants to collect them like action figures. But, the competitive side want the most powerful team. So, I find my self wasting resources for characters I'm not using.
  • You can have both. Once your main 5 hit a wall, collect a "b" team (or just collect) and have fun.
  • BentWookie wrote: »
    You can have both. Once your main 5 hit a wall, collect a "b" team (or just collect) and have fun.

When

• Miss_Doll wrote: »
    BentWookie wrote: »
    You can have both. Once your main 5 hit a wall, collect a "b" team (or just collect) and have fun.

When

I assume he means 7* with max gear. :D

When I started, I thought having a lot of middle-powerful characters to throw at GW and wear them down would help, but they mostly just die without getting to take more than 1 turn, and whatever damage they do is just healed away.
  • Boro_Smooth1
    79 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    .....and thats the time when you throw in your A-team to sweep up, 'cos the opposing team already wasted specials and AOEs on your cannon fodder. Thats a common tactic for GW. ..........but tell noone, it's a SEEEEECRET ;-) :-D
  • .....and thats the time when you throw in your A-team to sweep up, 'cos the opposing team already wasted specials and AOEs on your cannon fodder. Thats a common tactic for GW. ..........but tell noone, it's a SEEEEECRET ;-) :-D
    It's not *fun* though. Those mid-level character do literally nothing. They're typically not even fast enough to move before being wiped out. You just don't feel like there's any variety. Just mechanically going thru the chores. EVERY DAY.
    effdash wrote: »
    This is not Pokemon, where your goal is to 'catch 'em all!' Here, it is quality vs quantity. As you stated, a smaller group of maxed characters is going to take it over a large group of middle characters 9/10 times.
    And that's the way it should be because? What's wrong with Pokemon? If people want to do that why must the game punish us for it?

Small group of maxed characters is booooring. To keep up the fun it's better to change it up.
  • So a lot of people are saying this game isn't like Pokemon blah blah. But isn't it? Sure in Pokemon your goal is to collect them all, but honestly how many of those Pokemon do you use, or level up. From my expierence, in Pokemon people generally try to have around 7-9 Pokemon that they level up primarily and use to get to new, more difficult areas. SWGOH is the same way I have a lot of characters collected just from playing over time, but the vast majority of them are sitting at level 1 with minimum stars. To me this is just like Pokemon, where I primarily use my 7-9 Pokemon in battle while the rest sit in the computer never to be used. The same way that in this game I have about 8 characters maxed out that I use for pretty much everything.