credit crunch < gear bottleneck

Prev1
leef
13458 posts Member
Honestly, after the initial costs of modding my arena and galactic war characters, i can handle the credit crunch. I have plenty of characters that could use credits ofcourse, for starring and leveling. Every extra credit will be put to good use and we sure could use some more.
but
I have alot of characters stuck at g8. Droprates for stuncuffs for example just make me cry and you need so gosh darn much of those. Up to gear8 its all good, for some characters g9 is even okay. But after that its a full stop. I can get the credits to max a characters level, stars, abilities and gear(credits only) way faster than the gear pieces to max out a character.

I (only) have 16 7* characters, shards for 3 more, so I most certainly feel the credit crunch. But even if i had the credits to star/level them they wouldnt be useable due to the lack of gear. I have 0 characters g9 or higher that arent lvl 80.
I dont have much use for (more) 7* lvl80 g8 characters, spending credits on g8's isnt worth it nowadays because credits are rather scarse. For higher gear characters i will gladly spend my credits, but I simply dont have the gear to equip them.

Conclusion; my way of dealing with the creditcrunch results in me getting annoyed with the lack of gear. Anyone else who chose a more specialized roster (instead of deeper) because it costs less credits, but got knocked down hard due to the lack of gear?
Save water, drink champagne!

Replies

• Just spend all your crystals on stun cuffs/stun guns from the shop. If you are doing heroic raids then raidgear is raining on you anyways. Personally, I find G8 characters are enough to play around with them and to use them in events or raids. The credit crunch, on the other hand, is unbearable.
  • I'll always hate the credit crunch more. But yeah I have a ton of toons that I'm just now getting past gear 8. They are all now however stuck at gear 9! And well as you know now on our server, gear 9 toons are pretty poor lol. I have Leia, fives, Han, all at gear 9, and it's just sad trying to compete in arena with them. They're too soft. My Rey however is still God at gear 9.

The credit crunch is keeping me from using dream team. Ima gun di lead and friends! I could have Aayla Secura countering and assisting with her Jedi friends, imagine all the interesting lineups and mods I can throw on her :)o:)... maybe someday.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Just spend all your crystals on stun cuffs/stun guns from the shop. If you are doing heroic raids then raidgear is raining on you anyways. Personally, I find G8 characters are enough to play around with them and to use them in events or raids. The credit crunch, on the other hand, is unbearable.

I'm f2p so i don't have the crystals to buy the gear i need. I "need" 12 cuffs and 10 guns. For the same amount of crystals you can get well over 22million credits btw. On top of that I also need 10 chedak comlinks. Not sure why the sollution for the gearbottleneck is buying them for crystals, but not for the creditcrunch. (Except for the simple reason that credits are easier to obtain than gear, wich is kinda making my original point more valid.)
    Heroics give me alot of scanners, furnaces not so much. + I keep running out of those darn syringes to craft furnaces.
  • Drake23
    866 posts Member
    I am bringing a char faster to max lvl, max star (if shards are there) and fully modded than to max gear lvl. So yes I think gear is the bigger problem than credits.
    Drake23, Its a trap
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    I'll always hate the credit crunch more. But yeah I have a ton of toons that I'm just now getting past gear 8. They are all now however stuck at gear 9! And well as you know now on our server, gear 9 toons are pretty poor lol. I have Leia, fives, Han, all at gear 9, and it's just sad trying to compete in arena with them. They're too soft. My Rey however is still God at gear 9.

The credit crunch is keeping me from using dream team. Ima gun di lead and friends! I could have Aayla Secura countering and assisting with her Jedi friends, imagine all the interesting lineups and mods I can throw on her :)o:)... maybe someday.

I think the gear needed is a bigger obstacle to overcome than the credits. Credits are usefull for a deep roster of 7* g8 characters, wich is usefull ofcourse, but i've got enough of those, i want me some g10/11 characters.
  • Apo
    60 posts Member
    Cudn't agree more. Hightime the devs add stun cuffs or stun guns to the useless gear challenges.
  • leef wrote: »
    I'm f2p so i don't have the crystals to buy the gear i need. I "need" 12 cuffs and 10 guns. For the same amount of crystals you can get well over 22million credits btw. On top of that I also need 10 chedak comlinks. Not sure why the sollution for the gearbottleneck is buying them for crystals, but not for the creditcrunch. (Except for the simple reason that credits are easier to obtain than gear, wich is kinda making my original point more valid.)
    Heroics give me alot of scanners, furnaces not so much. + I keep running out of those darn syringes to craft furnaces.

12 cuffs and 10 guns... how many characters are you planning to gear with that amount of guns and cuffs? 10? 22 million credits is almost nothing and allows you to level up 3 characters. If you include mods then its only 2 characters. If you compare how many characters you can equip with 12 cuffs plus 10 guns vs 22 million credits then it is obvious which resource is scarcer.

Gear offers a way better value crystal wise... I am completely f2p myself but rank top 5 everyday so I have some crystals to spend.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    leef wrote: »

12 cuffs and 10 guns... how many characters are you planning to gear with that amount of guns and cuffs? 10? 22 million credits is almost nothing and allows you to level up 3 characters. If you include mods then its only 2 characters. If you compare how many characters you can equip with 12 cuffs plus 10 guns vs 22 million credits then it is obvious which resource is scarcer.

Gear offers a way better value crystal wise... I am completely f2p myself but rank top 5 everyday so I have some crystals to spend.

https://swgoh.gg/u/leef/collection/gear-needed/
    Thats just for my 22 characters above lvl 60. Obviously I won't gear them all, but it a good indication on how much gear is needed.

It takes longer to collect the gear I need to max out a character than it takes to get the 10mil credits. That you would spend crystals on gear, but not on credits is a logical result of that fact. Better value. Since i'm personally not looking for medium geared characters, the gear problem is much worse for me than the credit crunch. Yes, i can buy the occasional stun cuff with my arena winnings (i also finish top5 daily) wich softens the gear issue a bit, but not by much.

• MarmotaMonax
    251 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    I dont spend my crystals on gear because it takes longer to collect gear, but because you get more bang for your bucks.

Just compare how many characters you can equip with 22 stun guns/cuffs vs 22 million credits. Lets say I would get 3 million credits for the same amount of crystals as I have to pay for 1 stun gun. Then I would clearly buy the credits, but the amount of credits you get per crystal is so low that it makes credits more scarce.

Compare how much purple gear you would need to max out all your characters and how many credits you would need to max out all credits... and then transfer their value into crystal prices. I am pretty sure that you need more of the credits.
    Post edited by MarmotaMonax on
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    @MarmotaMonax
    The "bang for your buck" is based on availability, demand and costs. The only reason why crystals-for-credits is a bad deal is because you can earn credits "easy" ingame. And not because you need so many credits, that would only make it a relatively better deal. (this sounds very weird, but is actually true)
    You are doing the right thing with buying gear instead of credits, but you dont realize why its a better deal. The fact that you need more credits than gear is irrelevant because your credit income is higher than your gear income.
    You spend crystals to buy "time" and the relative value is determined by how long it would take you to get the item in question without spending crystals.
    If you never spend crystals on anything you will have all characters 7* and lvl80 faster than you would have them all at max gear. When everything is fully maxed you end up with a surplus of credits.
  • I'm having the same issue, but with the need for Mk 5 furnaces. I know they have just put them back in the shipments, but I've yet to see any (and i've spent too much on refreshes, let me tell you).

Currently Zam, Greedo, Lando, Lumi, Ahsoka, Ventress... they all need it. Bane needs the hypo syringes which go into making the furnace... which just means he gets to wait even longer to go up a gear lvl. After that, I'm willing to bet he's gonna need a furnace as well.

I know that some parts are farmable, and trust me I'm farming my little heart out. My guild is also raiding like crazy. My problem is that I have horrid luck. I can't get the pieces I need in shipments. I can't seem to get the pieces I need from raids... and I can't farm all the pieces I need to craft. It's so frustrating. XD

• EscapeArtist51
    1675 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    I'm having the same issue, but with the need for Mk 5 furnaces. I know they have just put them back in the shipments, but I've yet to see any (and i've spent too much on refreshes, let me tell you).

Currently Zam, Greedo, Lando, Lumi, Ahsoka, Ventress... they all need it. Bane needs the hypo syringes which go into making the furnace... which just means he gets to wait even longer to go up a gear lvl. After that, I'm willing to bet he's gonna need a furnace as well.

I know that some parts are farmable, and trust me I'm farming my little heart out. My guild is also raiding like crazy. My problem is that I have horrid luck. I can't get the pieces I need in shipments. I can't seem to get the pieces I need from raids... and I can't farm all the pieces I need to craft. It's so frustrating. XD
    I'm sorry dood. I've seen 3 already and passed each time. I never save up my crystals I normally binge spend on cantina because I want aayla and I want her now. I need to save up for furnaces because I have closed my already phat wallet until credit crunch is fixed.
  • I'm sorry dood. I've seen 3 already and passed each time. I never save up my crystals I normally binge spend on cantina because I want aayla and I want her now. I need to save up for furnaces because I have closed my already phat wallet until credit crunch is fixed.

Everyone seems to be seeing them, and I'm over here in the wastelands just praying for a single one. Haha.

Spent way too many crystals on refreshes. So now it's up to the hands of fate. RNGsus doesn't like me.
  • I'm sorry dood. I've seen 3 already and passed each time. I never save up my crystals I normally binge spend on cantina because I want aayla and I want her now. I need to save up for furnaces because I have closed my already phat wallet until credit crunch is fixed.

Everyone seems to be seeing them, and I'm over here in the wastelands just praying for a single one. Haha.

Spent way too many crystals on refreshes. So now it's up to the hands of fate. RNGsus doesn't like me.
    Worry not young one. I reverend EscapeArtist hereby bless you in the name of RNGesus! You will now receive a furnace in your shipments by this time tomorrow. Guaranteed, or your money back ;)..
  • Worry not young one. I reverend EscapeArtist hereby bless you in the name of RNGesus! You will now receive a furnace in your shipments by this time tomorrow. Guaranteed, or your money back ;)..

I'm sending Zam after you if this proves to be false. I take my religious edicts very seriously. O.o (XD)
  • Leef, kom anders bij onze Guild. New Dutch Wars. Wij doen alleen T5 waardoor wij met een sterke speler erbij deze wellicht om de dag kunnen spelen. Daar krijg je als result de gear die je nodig hebt.
    Mijn ID: 426-825-827
  • LuckyMe wrote: »
    Leef, kom anders bij onze Guild. New Dutch Wars. Wij doen alleen T5 waardoor wij met een sterke speler erbij deze wellicht om de dag kunnen spelen. Daar krijg je als result de gear die je nodig hebt.
    Mijn ID: 426-825-827
    I like pizza too. Eww what? You like hot sauce on your pizza? Why? :o
  • So for one item it tends to take me 3-4 days to farm with 2 refreshes. So I am looking 4-5 weeks per character to max gear. That is just nuts...
  • Haha EscapeArtist51 :-) This is Dutch. I invited him to join our Dutch Guild. We are open for all but our chat on discord is in Dutch. We all speak English too so if you want to join, you're free to hook up. :-) haha B)
  • F2P need to be patient....At least I am....Where is the fun when you can have everything you want with a snip of your fingers? Just be strategic and patient. There are some things I can even do now but I stil haven't spent all my gear. First I want to see what is the best thing to do.
    F2P need to be patient....At least I am....Where is the fun when you can have everything you want with a snip of your fingers? Just be strategic and patient. There are some things I can even do now but I stil haven't spent all my gear. First I want to see what is the best thing to do.
    Ahh yeah I know lol. I was just messing with you. I tried to join leef's guild once but he told me I'd have no idea what's going on lol since most of em speak Dutch. Im married to my current guild though lol. Though I'm thinking of starting a band of mercs to be honest. Maybe I shouldddd.. I'll call us, Escape Artist and friends; Mercenary Corp lol.
    F2P need to be patient....At least I am....Where is the fun when you can have everything you want with a snip of your fingers? Just be strategic and patient. There are some things I can even do now but I stil haven't spent all my gear. First I want to see what is the best thing to do.

Being patient is fine. The problem is there needs to be a balance between grind and fun. Personally I think when it was 70 cap it had a great balance. When they opened 80 cap it went quite a lot towards grind due to extra credits needed and most gear needing between 50 and 120 items farmed. Then they released mods and it went to even more towards grind.

So if the scale is 0 = Total Grind, 100 = Total Fun
    70 cap = 50
    80 Cap = 30
    Mods = 20

They need to just do some tweaking to get it back to that 50 and less people will be leaving. I dont even think it would need to be that much. The double rewards weekend was brilliant. Put that on for 2 weeks and their sales would go through the roof.

Increase credits by another 3-400k in GW and people wont complain about it so much.
  • Both of you are right. It should be every other weekend double points :smiley:
    Other weekend double Cantina bonus.
  • Viruschill
    154 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Apo wrote: »
    Cudn't agree more. Hightime the devs add stun cuffs or stun guns to the useless gear challenges.

+1 totally
  • Dhoey321
    1629 posts Member
    This has finally come to my attention and i completely agree that Gear is way more of a hassle than credit crunch. Yesterday i spent almost 300 energy and only got 1 handcuff., For 3 weeks now everyday farming Handcuffs i only have 22 like are you serious?!?
  • Credits, gear, mods and even shards are all crunches at different points in the game. I think it all depends on where you are and what your goals are at the point in time.

Earlier on its all about the shards. Credits accumulated in the millions while you working on getting those first characters past 3/4* and unlocking new ones.

Then comes credits as you start to get into higher * levels. Eventually you have a good number of characters at 7* and want them to be stronger and more competitive - welcome to the gear crunch.

I've slowed down on shard collection now (still slowly working on a few characters) and focusing more on higher gear levels and better mods. Info have a backlog of characters with 100/100 shards and I level up one a week on Tuesday (2 GW and the bounty hunter challenge today). I use scoundrel event credits to level up other characters and everything else goes into mods and gear - higher level gear crafting has a hefty credit cost too.
  • kello_511 wrote: »
    Credits, gear, mods and even shards are all crunches at different points in the game. I think it all depends on where you are and what your goals are at the point in time.

Earlier on its all about the shards. Credits accumulated in the millions while you working on getting those first characters past 3/4* and unlocking new ones.

Then comes credits as you start to get into higher * levels. Eventually you have a good number of characters at 7* and want them to be stronger and more competitive - welcome to the gear crunch.

I've slowed down on shard collection now (still slowly working on a few characters) and focusing more on higher gear levels and better mods. Info have a backlog of characters with 100/100 shards and I level up one a week on Tuesday (2 GW and the bounty hunter challenge today). I use scoundrel event credits to level up other characters and everything else goes into mods and gear - higher level gear crafting has a hefty credit cost too.

Sort of disagree with that to an extent.

Hit level 80 then you have a massive gear grind due to all those stun guns/cuffs etc that barely drop.
    You have your Arena team at 80, but you need to get your Raid team to that too, and you need to start working on other teams for events/mod challenges so you need to start them from scratch quite often.

This requires shards, credits and gear. Unfortunately the shards take forever to get as a lot of them that we dont already have are hard to get. For instance Ewok Scout with 2 hard nodes only. Took me 6 weeks to get him 7*. Then we need credits to build him up and all that gear we are using still to try and max our Arena/Raid teams. Now with credits for Mods on all those teams is just too much.

Then finally trying to get shards from Cantina, but also trying to get good mods has created a problem but we all know that.

So I would say end game all of it causes bottlenecks at the same time.
  • kello_511
    1648 posts Member
    Whiteroom wrote: »
    kello_511 wrote: »
    Credits, gear, mods and even shards are all crunches at different points in the game. I think it all depends on where you are and what your goals are at the point in time.

Sort of disagree with that to an extent.

Hit level 80 then you have a massive gear grind due to all those stun guns/cuffs etc that barely drop.
    You have your Arena team at 80, but you need to get your Raid team to that too, and you need to start working on other teams for events/mod challenges so you need to start them from scratch quite often.

This requires shards, credits and gear. Unfortunately the shards take forever to get as a lot of them that we dont already have are hard to get. For instance Ewok Scout with 2 hard nodes only. Took me 6 weeks to get him 7*. Then we need credits to build him up and all that gear we are using still to try and max our Arena/Raid teams. Now with credits for Mods on all those teams is just too much.

Then finally trying to get shards from Cantina, but also trying to get good mods has created a problem but we all know that.

So I would say end game all of it causes bottlenecks at the same time.

Fair enough. I guess what I'm really saying is that because of the gear bottleneck and credit bottleneck (which I agree is a lesser evil at this point), the shard bottleneck is a non-issue. I have more characters "sharded up" than I have credits to promote them or gear to make them useful. Now they are just accumulating and waiting to be used.
    Our last raid ended before I had a chance to even use all of my 7* characters in it. Every shard I accumulate now is for future consideration.
    Before mods, lots of our guild members weren't even refreshing cantina once a day because they didn't need the character shards so much.
  • gobears21
    1265 posts Member
    The frustration in this game rotates for me depending on what I'm currently working on. The whole design is made to frustrate so that you spend of course... I get that. Right now I'm in more of a hoarding mode with a plan to bring a lot of toons to g8 for the mod challenges. While I do need hundreds upon hundreds of carbanti sensors, mk 3 droid callers, shower drains and hair dryers and mk8 blastech weapon mod prototypes... I do have a 3 week plan in place to be able to get everything I need. Credits and possibly training droids will be a different issue though.

I spend credits and if you do too much leveling I'm out of training droids. Do too much equipping and suddenly I'm out of purple ability mats and if you want too many arena viable toon (like 2-3 more) then as you said you now have gear constipation.

I run droids, they're all max level and max gear level but not maxed on gears even though they'd probably be a ton better if they were. I sacrifice not having them maxed for the possibility that I might need that gear later which obviously is an investment in future "possible fun" in another toon. The reality though is that I'm not having a ton of fun right now as a result and if history repeats the "future fun" is probably a disappointing mirage...

I think they could afford to do less game progression blocking without sacrificing anything....
  • Both shortages suck. Both can be alleviated with credits. Credits are also scarce. You just have to pick your poison.

To me the atrocious gear drop rate is more frustrating that the slow rate of earning credits, so personally I prefer to spend crystals on gear.