How to approach new GW system?

Benr3600
1098 posts Member
I used to just run three healers through til the last two nodes, but now that I don't have any modded healers that is not possible. I am finding that using my arena team at node 6 pretty much strips my protection, leaving it vulnerable to being eaten alive by the cancer which awaits it in node 9. Suddenly this week my A team cannot last the 6 and 9 nodes despite only being used there. One idea I have is to use that team in node 5 and 8 to get the drop on the opponent with built TMs. Any other way to approach the ridiculous new format? Or is gearing/dumping countless millions of credits modding healers like Lumi and JC the only way for f2p with a top-heavy roster?

Replies

• Saraleb
    2070 posts Member
    Be easier to know what lvls you are.. *s, power etc and who your A team is..
  • tRRRey
    2782 posts Member
    Utilize nodes 1-5 to preload TM on any and every character that you plan to use on those hellish nodes.
    Pay close attention to the end of the easy nodes, and make a note of who's at full tm and who isn't. If a character is at full tm I'd suggest benching them until they're needed to preserve that tm advantage.

Some good leaders to preload TM on are Teebo and Phasma.
    Teebo so you can start controlling the opponent's TM.
    Phasma so you can lead off with Victory March and potentially wipe out high threat targets on the first turn.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/trey 66/
    Make Zader Great Again!
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    burst damage with pre-loaded TM works like a peach.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Zarbax
    256 posts Member
    My ewoks do all the work. Chirpa(L), Ewok elder, teebo, QGJ and phasma. Haven't lost a toon to GW in at least a couple of weeks. This is also my current arena team. Top 50 each day on a December server. That one team literally does everything for me.
    In the absence of good synergy, try preloading TM as mentioned above.
  • Sungsta
    163 posts Member
    I've gone down the extreme speed and damage path rather than uaing healers.

Hk lead, with ig88 and 86 at max levels + 2 more dps of ur choice (gs and rey are good picks) really decimates opponents in gw, especially with tm loaded. Often, I can get past most nodes without getting hit, with the exception of 6,9 and 11.
  • Because of protection healers are not the way to go. They just take up space on your team that should be high damage toons with tm advantage at the start of each battle
  • Viruschill
    154 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    I usally send in a suicide squad on node 6 to absorb enemy specials and taunts. Then send in A team. I usally loose a little perfection but it's manageable. Then on node 9 repeat. On node 11 I'll send in suicide squad for specials and taunts then I'll l send in a B team to to bring down as much protection as I can on enemy's top dps (usually rey) then another suicide squad to burn up tm. Then finish off with A team
  • Get 36k+ Arena team power and node 12 will always be a joke team for you
    Inglorious Blasters I Guild Leader I 'We drink a lot of tea.'
  • Tifer
    130 posts Member
    One thing I've found is most people say they run their one main squad all the way... I like to mix in a hero here and there so that way if my main team gets taken out, I have backup that already has some TM, so the later teams don't wipe me out before I get off a shot.
  • Zarbax
    256 posts Member
    Get 36k+ Arena team power and node 12 will always be a joke team for you

I think it's actually the power of your 5 most powerful toons. But yeah, it's nice. Not sure if it's 36k though.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    What tRRRey said. Nodes 1 to 5 are why u can beat much stronger enemies in the later nodes, particularly 6, 9, and 11, 12. (When u get higher power, it may shift to 6, 9, 11. Then later, 6, 9,10,11. Pay attention to which of your nodes are brutal. It is consistent)

Suicide squads are suicide. They are gone with the TM continuity patch of yestermonth. They will ruin your A team.

Use nodes 1 to 5, wisely. Use only your best toons, and bench them when they have good tm and not on cooldown. Retreat and redo as necessary. Take some hits, who cares? 4 hits in these nodes are less than one hit in node 6. If u can't finish GW, and u are not retreating in node 1 to 5 several times, then trying to retreat a billion times in node 9, u are fail. At no point do u want to use cannon fodder crappy toons. Esp in node 1 to 5. Unless u want to lose. Node 1 to 5 is wasted on your bad toons.

Do not finish battles 5, 8, or 10 with any toons on cooldown, and make sure your key toon also has good TM. (Stunner, tm toon, St han, phas, whoever is key on your team.) Take a good look before landing that finishing blow.

When u start node 6/9/11, ur options are limited. You can mess with rng by subbing toons. But you can't regain tm or cooldowns. Ur bed is already made. If u start node 6 with A team all 75 percent TM, guess what happens? What happens when you strafe-bomb the enemy airfield before their planes get off the ground? What happens when you crawl into the enemy bunker and slit their throats while they are sleeping? Yes, your soldiers may come home with PTSD. But they come home alive.

Heed advice. Finish GW. And once u learn what it takes, u can streamline this process for ur teams and ur gw. And u will win in 20 minutes or less. You can thank me. I accept gifts. Jewels and cash and gold bullion. And kisses to my rear.
  • I have four squads for GW my A team (AV, NS Init, daka, Talia, ewok elder) my Jedi team (ashoka, eeth, Yoda, JC, luminara) freedom fighters (poggle, GS, ig 88, Leia, borrow a healer or tank) Annie and Ben ride again (Old Ben, Vader, gamerorean guard, RG, borrow a healer or snow trooper if last node). I rotate between these teams and retreat if any one dies except on node 12.

Also important thing. Remember after a failed node the bad guys keep their turn meter. Occasionally on a node twelve I will throw my credit heist team or dooku leading garbage and riff raff (like I had to today). If not for ewok elder and daka both being gear viii and five star I would probably being getting slain in GW.

Retreat Retreat Retreat anyone dies then "run!" Bad guys have such a jump you can't flee close the app before the last man woman or alien falls.
  • sying
    982 posts Member
    At the risk of repeating a lot of what's already been written, here is my game plan that works extremely well for me:

Use all of the toons you could possibly use in GW in nodes 1-5. For me, I send in mostly synergy teams, i.e. Jedi, FO, bugs and bots, etc. My so called a team is mixed in there but I don't put them together until node 6 to make it easier for all of them to have the TM maxed and cool downs reset. Whatever you do, do not wait until node 6 to put in your best team. They need that TM to at least take out one, if not two toons on the other team.

Right now, my a team consists of Teebo, EE, QGJ, Rey, and RG (sometimes STH, depending on if I need more TM or stuns for the match). I only ever run them all at the same time on 6, 9 and 11. Sometimes, I don't even use them on 6 if I know I can get away with it. That way they have as much protection as possible by 9 and 11. Also, the reason I run Teebo and EE is for TM manipulation. QGJ, too. I save Phasma for it I get in serious trouble. Believe me, the TM comes in pretty handy. Between RG's stuns and Teebo's and QGJ's TMR, there are toons that don't even get a turn. It's pretty nice. Plus, if you do lose someone you have EE to revive them.

If you use healers, and there are times when you might need to, only use them on nodes 7, 8, and 10. Use those nodes to reset any cool downs and to load TM back on your a team. Otherwise take your a team out. This is where having a deep bench really helps out. I cannot stress enough to not use your a team on the easy nodes if you can help it enough. Do not lose any toon either. It doesn't matter if they are a throw away toon. The hard nodes can get pretty rough. You might need to send them in there, not as suicide squads, but to finish off the other team. For the first time in a long time, two days ago I lost my whole a team on node 11. But I killed off two of the opposing toons and I had a good leader in Phasma, another tank in STH, and one dps in Leia in reserve. They all had TM and cool downs reset. This goes back to what I wrote about using all of the toons I could possibly use in 1-5. You never know when they will come in handy.

These tips can't be used by everyone. Not everyone has EE and Teebo. Not everyone has a deep enough roster that you can put in five completely different teams in the first five nodes. Maybe, I don't need to use so many toons. I probably don't. But it sure makes things a lot easier. If anyone is having troubles with GW, I would suggest really building up your roster and working on ewoks.
  • How about they just make GW fair and balanced?
  • Use combination of speed, control, dps and tank. time it right you'll do fine
    TNR Rey of Hope, Heroic Raid 36/50
  • Brad....thats way too hard. I just don't understand why n6 has been decided to be that ridiculous one. It's not even that the team is all 80s, as much as it doesn't matter what level they are, they always seem to somehow kick the crap out of any team I put up making the rest of gw pointless.
  • shampoo
    442 posts Member
    Full droid team will carry you a long way (lead by HK, JE, 88, 86, GG/ig100/B2), you'll be able to wipe out squads without taking any damage. But the new GW system is obviously in place to require people to have deeper rosters, more mods etc....therefore making people either spend money or be very very patient on making whole new squads.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    shampoo wrote: »
    Full droid team will carry you a long way (lead by HK, JE, 88, 86, GG/ig100/B2), you'll be able to wipe out squads without taking any damage. But the new GW system is obviously in place to require people to have deeper rosters, more mods etc....therefore making people either spend money or be very very patient on making whole new squads.

It's always their goal to make the player spend money. You can use that argument for any issue and it holds true. But at the end of the day i have zero problems with GW (30min to complete) and I'm completely f2p, without being very very patient.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • I have still spent under fifty on this game (a fraction of savings from quitting smoking evil cigarettes on June 11) and maybe once a fortnight I can't beat gw. Having gone for daka and ewok elder for my a team helped a bunch though.)
  • I run Ewoks and one toon from my raid team (switch out each node) for nodes 1-5. Then I run Ewoks + QGJ in node 6 usually. If QGJ or Teebo takes too much damage I retreat and use the full raid team. Then it's back to Ewoks until node 9.

The Ewoks usually last until node 9, sometimes to node 11, every once in awhile they run the table. Usually lose a toon or two in node 11 but it doesn't matter b/c node 12 is a cake walk.

Haven't failed to clear GW since the first week or so I win locked it. Ewoks are so good at controlling TM that they can fly through the early nodes without taking much damage.