Are defense mods actually useable now?

Are defense mods actually worth something now? Or can I safely ignore them. I'm talking about the straight up defense mod set. Is it better than health or nah?

Replies

• We'll have to see what the devs have to say about this first. Oh, sorry. I almost forgot. They don't tell us anything. Maybe they'll be useful, maybe not. Nobody knows for sure.
  • I read a post a where someone did testing and the defence mod was actually better then the health mod bonus. But it also depends on the character.
  • Nightlores wrote: »
    I read a post a where someone did testing and the defence mod was actually better then the health mod bonus. But it also depends on the character.
    I can totally see them being better than health mod sets tbh.. Welcome back to the meta fives you bad mo fo joker you! I have him at gear 9, no mods at all, and he has a staggering 35 percent armor, compared to my 80k health RG who only has 31 percent armor. I think I'll add defense mods to my shopping list. It's not like I can farm toons or anything anyways...
  • I'll wait before doing any theorycrafting/math.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    On paper for most toons a defense mod should be better. Health is a "one time" boost where armor reduces damage from every hit...

But honestly if defense was that good every meta team would run sth with his +50% defense.

This change definitely made them more useful for tanks, if you focused solely on defense mods with defense primary and a little extra secondary you are looking at around +40%, 4% for every 10. OB has around 40% some ppl have said, so he's adding an extra 16% damage reduction, when you can hit him.

Still toon specific but if this sticks it will create a fair amount of teams around this principle.
  • Snake2
    1455 posts Member
    For characters like old Ben and fives, defense is better than health now. There's a breakpoint that I haven't sat down to determine yet
  • ZurinFet wrote: »
    I'll wait before doing any theorycrafting/math.

I would listen to the guy that does the guides. I am waiting to see if this a permanent thing. There are too many conflicting reports to jump on anything right now.
    Broncos Forever in the game
    666-716-133
  • They may be better than health mods, but I doubt they will be so much better that it is worth re-farming a full set of 6 mods with good primary/secondaries + the credits to max all those mods.
  • Look at it this way. If you have a character that giving some defense up and defense on top, plus a lead defense character. You could cut down the damage quite a bit. Defense up cut damage in half so, I would say the more defense the better. You could get the 5% defense from other mods not just defense.
  • I swapped 4x in on my RG (keeping 2x potency), and it looks promising.

Good change imo (once people put down the pitchforks and consider the new landscape where armor is better), but big F-up by the devs for introducing this without even a confirmation. I'm not even sure why they bother to tell us anything at all if this HUGE change rolls out without so much as a "hey, we're changing armor".
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    EA_Jesse wrote: »
    @Gungnir75 could you send me these screenshots along with any data you have on this? This may be a bug since I am not aware of any changes to the characters or armor in this update.

If he doesn't know why would we......one day we will hear something..
  • Nightlores wrote: »
    I read a post a where someone did testing and the defence mod was actually better then the health mod bonus. But it also depends on the character.

Its sad but true... A defense modded savage oppress made me feel like i always get offense down on ig88 and every single toon..also he had critocal avoidance, which makes me loose. I mean from 15k basic crit there were just 2,6k uncritted basic -.- thats sick .. Right now im farmin him :3
  • Nah they won't raise armor much higher than it was raised with the update. Still worthless imo. Better off using protection and health mods
  • Are defense mods actually worth something now? Or can I safely ignore them. I'm talking about the straight up defense mod set. Is it better than health or nah?

I could tell you the best setup, but then I would have to kill ya! Suffice it to say, there is a much, MUCH better set out there than 5 star Health Mods....
  • RyanRen
    994 posts Member
    Lillegre wrote: »
    Are defense mods actually worth something now? Or can I safely ignore them. I'm talking about the straight up defense mod set. Is it better than health or nah?

I could tell you the best setup, but then I would have to kill ya! Suffice it to say, there is a much, MUCH better set out there than 5 star Health Mods....

Take your pick - Critical Damage or Speed
  • Obsid
    108 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    From my tests, no. The defense mods give a maximum of 15% defense (with 3 sets), which translate into about 2.1% armor. So you are saving 2.1% damage by having the defense mods rather than gaining +30% crit damage (with one other set for crit chance/health). You would have to know that you are going to be attacked first always, and maybe have healers behind so it is somehow better than +15% health and not die in the first round so you can be healed, and even then I think +speed is going to be better for the non-damage dealers. Maybe some tanks can think about +defense mods, but it seems like you are going to gain more from +15% hp than reducing 2.1% of the damage, you would need to be healed more than 7x your total hp before it will be beneficial to have the defense mod sets. Maybe in some kind of PvE situation that might happen...?

On the other hand, dont count out +defense sub-stats, they ROCK. I got a +18 defense substat mod that adds 2.1% armor all by itself! Thats effectively hundreds of hp on a royal guard even without healing.
    Post edited by Obsid on