GW retreat option changes. Developer thoughts?

So there's been some fairly heated debates on the recent changes to the retreat option on GW. We also know that the changes were not on the recent patch notes. But what I really want to know is why the developers decided to make the change in the first place.

Replies

• Hey everyone,

I'm REALLY sorry that the GW Retreat change went live without any announcement.

The explanation for how that happened is embarrassing - we assembled patch notes from a list of data changes, but the GW Retreat change was a server change. Server releases are always handled separately from data releases from a technical perspective, but sometimes they happen to occur on the same day. We are going to have a meeting to discuss how we can GUARANTEE that important server change with player-facing consequences are not released without accompanying patch notes again.

I wrote something to add to the patch notes, but I'm going to let Jesse edit his own post in a few minutes, so until then here's the explanation:

The functionality of Retreat has been changed so that it behaves the same as force-quitting the app. While we understand that many players relied on Retreating as part of their strategy, ultimately there were two different ways to leave a battle that didn’t behave the same way (Retreating, and force-quitting the app). We decided that in order to keep the experience fair and consistent, we would change the behavior of Retreat to work the same as force-quitting.

-Aaron

Read this!!
  • Ah this is perfect. Thank you xJazzx!