Wow, I just figured something out regarding GW and matchmaking.

(If this has already been posted, np, but I couldn't find any hard facts on GW, just a lot of guessing.) I've never drawn a guild mate in GW, so last night when I did, I noticed it wasn't his Arena team nor any past version of his Arena team. We talked about it on game chat and in my GW, it had his name for node 6 and then the team Lumi, Nightsister Init, Jawa, QGJ, Talia. (His arena team is Phasma, Rey, QGJ, STHan, Leia. He's never had the Lumi team above for Arena.) So a hypothesis is GW matching uses current active members and a random team from their char repository. I've seen a lot of guesses on this forum that it's current Arena teams, etc... and I haven't since game Dev explicitly comment on GW matchmaking game dynamics, but this is at least some hard data on how matchmaking might work.

Replies

• Can't be true. When I reach nodes 9, 11, 12 it's not random, ever, those teams are built to work together. Of all a person's charcters it doesn't just randomly choose to throw out Dooku, RG, Rey, GS, Daka all the time.
  • This specific scenario is true, regarding how the match was drawn, that it indeed was not his Arena team. Now it could be a combination of things regarding how matchmaking works, but at least we have some hard data to build on. For example, if you draw a guild mate and it is an exact match of his Arena team, then we have a combination approach. But the key is to understand the algorithm being used. Thx.
  • Teague
    939 posts Member
    Perhaps it just uses names. Or perhaps there's another player with the same name.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    I faced a Phasma lead, RG, GS, QGJ, Rey team three times in one GW this week that's a common meta Arena team. What I have noticed is that the hard nodes (6, 9, 11, and for some people 12) are almost always highly modded arena teams. The other nodes tend to have more Jedi, healers, Chewies, and sids. I think it's pulling teams people use in GW for you to fight on the easy GW nodes, and arena teams for the hard ones. Just a guess.
  • musashi
    609 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Hi @Teague This player name is about as unique as it gets, and to verify I had access to my guild mates' chars and the abilities/skills/mods, everything was exactly the same. The mods being 2dot 3dot, lined up perfectly for it not to be him. So it was his chars but just not his Arena team per se.
  • When supermods came out I made an arena team with a Lando lead that I literally just upgraded. Three of my guildies got that arena team in their hardest node less than 16 hours later. There was no mistaking that it was my team because my in game name is Broncos Forever. Plus I had to apologize to them for making Lando wreck face.
    Broncos Forever in the game
    666-716-133
  • isn't it just made from there top 5 toons... which isn't always gonna be there arena team.
  • Hi @Darthpippa in this particular case it wasn't his strongest chars by far. Love to have a confirmation by Dev how matchmaking exactly works, but for now just trying to establish a working theory. Thx.
  • I've tested this for the past week and a half, and I'm 99.9% positive it's based on your top five power characters period. I made a spreadsheet and put the power of my top five each day and then the power of the teams I was fighting.

I won't go into the weak nodes to keep this short

Node 6 was always around 95%, a little over or a little under the power of my top five
    Node 9 was always around 100% a little over a little under
    Node 11 was always around 105% a little over a little under
    Node 12 for me is broken with the three star teams, but if the pattern follows it would probably be 110%

The reason why I'm sure it's top five and not arena is because my arena team was unchanged but I bumped Fives (who I don;t use in arena) up to lvl 10 gear and he jumped to my second highest powered character.

Using the new combined power of my top 5 with Fives from that day until today. Node 6 is still 95%, node 9 is still 100%, and node 11 is still 105%

I doubt these nice round numbers are a coincidence.
  • Thanks @Galdin_Wan! Let me process this info and take a look at my chars power, etc.. Thanks for sharing this info!
  • Galdin_Wan wrote: »
    I've tested this for the past week and a half, and I'm 99.9% positive it's based on your top five power characters period.

I am 100% positive that you are wrong. The reason I know...very recently I faced my alt account in GW, and my alt arena team is NOT my top 5 power characters. It was brutal, but at least it left me feeling good about my alt account team.
  • I had heard at one time that the GW team is based off the last team used to finish GW with...so for example, if you start out with Lumi, GS, Rey, RG, and Qui Gon and through out you Wars you loose Rey and RG, you'll have to sub in 2 more characters to finish up the GW. So let's say you sub in Vader and Yoda...when you finish the final node of GW your team will be Lumi, GS, Qui Gon, Vader, and Yoda...that will be the team that someone else will face if they draw you on a GW node. Since most people can either finish with their typical arena team because they are maxed out or have to run through 20 toons to get through node 11 (usually one extreme or another) that is where the harder nodes and easier nodes come into play...no synergy vs all synergy.

Granted, this was just something I heard a while ago and may not have any truth to it but maybe it helps
  • One time is is not hard data
  • ^^ This was one theory I was thinking. I've heard it is the last GW team you finished with. So if your node 12 team was a mop up squad, that was what people were going to face.

I've also seen people with the same name. I have someone in my shard named Baniss Durron and someone in my guild with the same name but not the same person. Not even close to the same rosters.

Is Baniss a character in the Star Wars universe somewhere? Kind of odd for 2 people to randomly select that name. Or is that another Mol Eliza type name?
  • Joonbugg wrote: »
    Galdin_Wan wrote: »
    I've tested this for the past week and a half, and I'm 99.9% positive it's based on your top five power characters period.

I am 100% positive that you are wrong. The reason I know...very recently I faced my alt account in GW, and my alt arena team is NOT my top 5 power characters. It was brutal, but at least it left me feeling good about my alt account team.

I've been tracking this since August 1st, and it has been very consistent. My plan is to do two weeks, so Sunday I will be finished.

• There have been 2 occasions when I have faced Team Instinct members on my last node. I checked their roster on SWGOH.gg and I both occasions, the team I faced was their arena team at that time
  • I faced a guild mate in node 6 and it was exactly the same as his arena team. Easy to tell as we have the identical squad. I had TM though, so it was a massacre.
  • Galdin_Wan wrote: »
    Joonbugg wrote: »
    Galdin_Wan wrote: »

I've been tracking this since August 1st, and it has been very consistent. My plan is to do two weeks, so Sunday I will be finished.

@Joonbugg: You both talk about 2 different things.

@Galdin_Wan: Your post is something off here. This is not about how power ratings for matchmaking is calculated but how the team composition is actually made up. So once the desired power for the team to fight against is calculated (that's your part), the question remains: Is then a random arena team taken which almost exactly matches this power or is a team more or less thrown together randomly based on individual chars of existing players.
  • Can't be true. When I reach nodes 9, 11, 12 it's not random, ever, those teams are built to work together. Of all a person's charcters it doesn't just randomly choose to throw out Dooku, RG, Rey, GS, Daka all the time.

Lol. No. Afew days ago i had a team of mob enforcer bariss, cody eeth and maul at stage 12.. With 38 k. If thats a squad in any shard it wont be above 1000# nobody would level anybody of them except cody and maybe bariss.
  • This is not the first time I have heard this. Someone posted on here about facing his daughters team, and it wasnt a team she ever used. SO it seems some nodes are arena teams and other cobble together teams from a persons roster.
    Collaborative T7 guild looking for active members. Details here or PM me.
  • I track all of the node powers daily since 7/2. The power of the team you face in GW is based off of the power of your five highest power toons. EventineElessedil has a post about it with her numbers and I posted mine there as well. I'll update with August numbers after the month is done.
  • MBL_66
    2465 posts Member
    A dev confirmed that they use your highest ever arena power used in a victory. For about two months I used droids and my GW never changed even though I had lots of different toons move up in terms of the power of my overall roster because I was working on new toons. Like when I maxed out Fives and RP they jumped into my top five, increasing the overall power of my top five, and I saw no changes in GW. I have also only ever seen it pull arena teams, sometimes it does pull an arena that hasn't been used for a while as I had guild mates pull my old TM team while I was using droids and it had been weeks since I used them, so it's entirely possible that your guild mate used Lumi one time a while back and just forgot.
  • The one time I encountered a guild mate in GW, it was exactly like his PvP team but lower geared and leveled.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    MBL_66 wrote: »
    A dev confirmed that they use your highest ever arena power used in a victory. For about two months I used droids and my GW never changed even though I had lots of different toons move up in terms of the power of my overall roster because I was working on new toons. Like when I maxed out Fives and RP they jumped into my top five, increasing the overall power of my top five, and I saw no changes in GW. I have also only ever seen it pull arena teams, sometimes it does pull an arena that hasn't been used for a while as I had guild mates pull my old TM team while I was using droids and it had been weeks since I used them, so it's entirely possible that your guild mate used Lumi one time a while back and just forgot.

You are right that the devs posted months ago that it was based off of top arena power you've ever won with. But they have tinkered with it since then. After the upward adjustment in difficulty at the end of June a Dev said on Reddit that there was a formula using your highest arena rank, and power of your top 5 toons. Someone linked that on here less than a month ago. I geared up Teebo for raids to a higher power than all but one of my arena team, and noticed a BIG jump in difficulty. It just may be that your top 5 is so powerful it can't find anything tougher for you. Ha.
  • MBL_66
    2465 posts Member
    JacenRoe wrote: »

You are right that the devs posted months ago that it was based off of top arena power you've ever won with. But they have tinkered with it since then. After the upward adjustment in difficulty at the end of June a Dev said on Reddit that there was a formula using your highest arena rank, and power of your top 5 toons. Someone linked that on here less than a month ago. I geared up Teebo for raids to a higher power than all but one of my arena team, and noticed a BIG jump in difficulty. It just may be that your top 5 is so powerful it can't find anything tougher for you. Ha.

Yea I'm one of those people that gets gear level two and three teams in node 11/12. You know you're running out of toons to max when you take RP to gear 11 lol
  • Tavanh
    523 posts Member
    Some of the Arena teams for my node 6, 10 seem to be made by the computer whereas nodes 9, 11 are always Meta teams for me. This could also explain node 12 for those over 37k power... though I welcome that node 12 or else I would never beat GW.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member

Yea I'm one of those people that gets gear level two and three teams in node 11/12. You know you're running out of toons to max when you take RP to gear 11 lol

Jealous. I do get the joke node on 12, but 11 is still brutal. I have a pretty deep roster for F2P, got some good mods before they nerfed the drop rate, finished #2 in arena yesterday, nearly can solo 2 phases of a T7 raid, and I spend an hour preloading turn meter in early war nodes on every usable toon I have. And I STILL get nodes on 11 that give me nightmares. I dread the day 12 is fixed. I also feel bad for guild mates much lower in progress who are getting much harder wars than I.

• MBL_66
    2465 posts Member

Jealous. I do get the joke node on 12, but 11 is still brutal. I have a pretty deep roster for F2P, got some good mods before they nerfed the drop rate, finished #2 in arena yesterday, nearly can solo 2 phases of a T7 raid, and I spend an hour preloading turn meter in early war nodes on every usable toon I have. And I STILL get nodes on 11 that give me nightmares. I dread the day 12 is fixed. I also feel bad for guild mates much lower in progress who are getting much harder wars than I.

Yea every once in a while I get hard teams on node 11 but I run droids and Danger Zone as my two main teams so I destroy them just as easily as I destroy any arena team.
  • djvita
    1684 posts Member
    Tomorrow I max Anakin who is #3 in power, arena and top 5 would go over 40k after adding that last star. Here's to getting another 3* node!