Raid Reward Sliders - A proposal to fix rewards

Zooey
1607 posts Member
By now, we're all aware of the problems facing the reward system in its current iteration. It promotes unhealthy intraguild competition, doesn't reward raid participation properly, and forces guilds to come up with extreme ways of circumventing its flaws.

I propose a new system of rewarding that can be customized to each individual guilds preferences. Instead of generating rewards upon opening of the treasure chests, the raid should generate a pool of rewards on completion and then dole them out on a pro-rated basis set before starting the raid.

Guild leaders will be able to individually adjust the percentage of rewards received by each individual damage rank. If you're a heroic guild with a roster of extremely strong members, you can set all 40 slots equally to 2.5% rewards. If you have tiers of members, calibrate the rewards based on tiers. If you want to do a more complicated system, go for it. As long as it all adds to 100% (in increments of 0.5% or .25% depending on what works for the system), it's all good.

In the event of there being not being not enough of a certain reward to go around (IE. R2D2 shards), it is randomized between members of a certain tier. If a tier is empty, those rewards are pro-rated to the rest of the raid.

As for full gear pieces, my solution would be to have the generated rewards pool not include them at all, but have a chance for members receiving rewards to instead get a gear piece in place of their gear shards. This chance would be dependent on the tier of the raid completed and/or the percentage of rewards they were originally slated to receive.

I understand this would take a lot to code and implement, but I hope that the resultant satisfaction of the players and their increased faith in the game direction would make up for the work required.

Replies

• Good idea - something needs to be done.
  • It seems like it might be too easy to abuse. I agree something needs to be done though.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    But what about a guild of 10 with a bunch of alternative accounts feeding themselves rewards??
  • medetec
    1571 posts Member
    or, as a simple toggle, allow the GM to set equal distribution across the guild. Just on/off no math no effort no major code on the dev end.
  • Nice idea but I think this will be very difficult to implement and open to abuse... There would have to be a minimum each member can get at least

I'd rather they do away with the tier structure entirely guild activities are a team effort does it matter who in that guild gets the top score controlling turns etc is tiresome as an officer/leader ...why not equally distribute rewards?

One way could be rewards based on how quickly the guild can complete the activity, would be a better mechanism than the current gaining overall rewards on this basis

Or cumalative damage done across members let's face it at least 10 or so players can start phase 1 together all getting good scores and knock similar damage off without taking into later phases, this also requires tactics to be employed and teamwork.

Im completely up for removing any hint of tier structure in guild reward payout ...I'm lucky to be in a guild where we support each other and there is friendly competitiveness and top members are happy to step aside to let other farm solo, but it's still all about getting top 3 at the end of the day for most of us. Human nature comes out people compete some members have been dropped as a result.
  • KingPin wrote: »
    I'd rather they do away with the tier structure entirely guild activities are a team effort does it matter who in that guild gets the top score controlling turns etc is tiresome as an officer/leader ...why not equally distribute rewards?

I'd see this as a move in the completely opposite direction; no one would be motivated into distinguishing themselves as a top member if everyone gets the same stuff, regardless of effort to gain guild currency. And then those who try to do more get dropped actually punishes top performers (who don't follow rules, I understand the point you're making too).

How about keeping the raid loot rewards similar to what it is now, but allow officers to somehow control the credits and currency aspects of the raid, like a toggle for the default right now, or set to be evenly distributed, or be arranged on how much you contributed that week to the guild points, etc.

If you really want to make it more complex, a pool of extra loot can also be distributed, like the extra chests in the higher damage tiers. But I'd be happy with just the currency and credits be controllable.

That way it still keeps things competitive for members to feel like their extra efforts paid off and allows some control of the officers to reward (or punish) certain members.