Darth Maul

Prev1
I've seen threads trashing Darth Maul but I just used him as an ally and he is a straight MONSTER. He had about the same strength as my characters,1200-1300 range, but he way outclassed my guys. He crit literally every attack. I used my Jawa's aoe then Maul proceeded to one shot every enemy...attacking 6 times in a row. Granted, this was a dark side battle and not pvp, but you gotta give him his props.

Replies

• Kune0
    6 posts Member
    edited December 2015
    Removed for TOS Violation.
    Post edited by ObbyEcho on
  • I've seen threads trashing Darth Maul but I just used him as an ally and he is a straight MONSTER. He had about the same strength as my characters,1200-1300 range, but he way outclassed my guys. He crit literally every attack. I used my Jawa's aoe then Maul proceeded to one shot every enemy...attacking 6 times in a row. Granted, this was a dark side battle and not pvp, but you gotta give him his props.

ypu have the jaws regular or datcha? I'm wondering if using the 1st order pilot is better than my jawa. Although he's only 1* vs 3* jawa. Jawa is 1426 vs 1186.
  • I got Maul from a chron card and I love him. His AOE is strong (for my level, currently 42) and if he kills an enemy he gets his action meter filled completely. I've killed a whole squad with a jawa AOE and just picked the rest off with maul. I've seen the posts too but I disagree with them. He's awesome
  • I think mual is great for 40s and lower, once you get to level 55+ he is not possible to star past 4* unless you buy packs, he is extremely slow too and relatively fragile. He can be taken out in pvp before he has the chance to attack, done get me wrong he is mega powerful when he can attack and I love using him, but until he can be farmed realistically he looses his usefulness real quick
  • Hello i have Darth Maul 5* but im not using him, someone can tell if he is usefull on arena or a god combination with him? I think is a bit slow.
    Thanks
  • He is slow but can be very good for high damage AOE teams where you have a fast taunter like Poe. The difficult thing is that it's going to be tough to promote him unless you get really lucky or spend $ on chromium packs
  • I have a 7 star fully geared Maul. He's still made of glass at that level and still slow as hell. In GW, I was using him as part of a B squad. Somehow, he was the last man standing in a 3 on 1. He had about 25% health remaining with the 3 remaining enemies at about 50%.

Well, a funny thing happened. He dodged 4 attacks in a row, and then wiped out the other 3 with 3 clean shots in a row.

He has 0 evasion, but as a leader he's geared up to give 15% evasion to Sith allies which he had to have applied to himself also. Never seen him evade anything, let alone a barrage like that! But it made me think he has potential. Then again, I was probably extremely lucky that round. Ill have to experiment more.
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    Maul gains EVA both from his leader skill and his unique skill. If he survives into the end of the battle where both teams have lost a few toons, he's extremely powerful with great crit rates and evasion.

Only issue is keeping him alive. But it can be done with a nice balanced team of turn meter manipulation and taunting. Harder to pull that off on defense ofc since every player in their right mind targets down Maul first.
  • Use Old Caca with him. I just lost an arena bout today solely because I focused him out, then he was revived and one shot my JC and Luminara.
  • El_Duderino
    413 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    I've got a 4* Maul, and he's pretty useful in Arena. Currently running around level 55 and he's still playing pretty well.

Note that although his speed is low, he plays much faster because he can refresh his turn meter upon a finishing blow and instantly attack again. The double damage to jedi also makes him an anti healer build of sorts- as above poster said one-shotting JC and Lum is a fairly common thing.

At this point he synergizes very (very) well with Poe+taunt and Sid as leader for crits. I have done some unspeakable things against opponents by making use of his auto-turn-meter-refresh-on-kill power, and targeting Jedi's first. The key is timing his single hit toward those you can kill, power up, and head on down the line, and then finishing with the AOE attack once you can't one shot anyone anymore. I've had battles where he has literally wiped every opponent consecutively. Also I've had battles where he's died before getting to play so there's that. Kind of a fun and unique build though.

Also make sure to level up his Unique ability-- once you get it up high enough he will heal himself up on every hit after the third guy goes down; which makes him more playable in GW and other CPU battles.
  • he is only food for PvE not arena
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    He's good for Arena as long as it's on the offense. When you've played your battles it's a good idea to switch him out for something else in the last battle for the day. Real players will just target him down early otherwise.
  • Nonemo wrote: »
    He's good for Arena as long as it's on the offense. When you've played your battles it's a good idea to switch him out for something else in the last battle for the day. Real players will just target him down early otherwise.

Good advice. Though this is what Poe is for: he acts quick and even the AI will taunt early on. Ymmv.

• How many chromium packs does it take to get someone 7* on average
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    Plenty. :wink:

Too many. :pensive:
  • I have a 6 star Maul and he works great. I use Ventress as the leader to give everyone speed, then I add Maul, JC, Bariss, and Luminara and I get big time results. Ventress and Maul deal out serious punishment, Luminara ability blocks and heals, JC heals and hits hard, Ventress also dispells while healing, and Bariss is a great healer keeping the whole team going. I love this team!!
  • I have a 6 star Maul and he works great. I use Ventress as the leader to give everyone speed, then I add Maul, JC, Bariss, and Luminara and I get big time results. Ventress and Maul deal out serious punishment, Luminara ability blocks and heals, JC heals and hits hard, Ventress also dispells while healing, and Bariss is a great healer keeping the whole team going. I love this team!!

Ventress only adds speed to nightsister allies.

Yeah, that's great and everything but Ventress only speeds up Nightsister toons and because of a bug (likely, though who knows, might be intentional) the speed only kicks in after her first turn.

Not saying she doesn't have her place, she's exceptionally good with Daka and Dooku in the challenge vs Oppress, but in your comp, you're getting zero synergy from her leadership skills.
    Ally Code: 945-699-762
  • MasterSideous
    26 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    I have 6 star Darth Maul geared up nicely. He is the mega destroyer!! His health is weaker than other toons so use his "Whirling Blades Attack" first, then clean house with "Raging Storm". Each time you kill an enemy he gets 100% turn meter to kill again and bonuses up on each kill as well. If you are level 56 or higher you can use him as my ally - 122-669-975 I am looking for someone with Old Daka I can use. I have had opportunity to farm yet.
    Post edited by MasterSideous on
  • Well I feel dumb now, I thought Ventress speed up the team. I am using Barris and Luminara now as leaders with better results. Guess I need to start paying better attention to those little details - Thanks !!
  • I have him at 4*... I think he has massive potential, especially with all the Jedi Healers... but he needs a peel or he's a liability. I'd use him if I could get him *ed up more but until I do he's on the bench.
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    My fully geared 7* lv 66 Maul is quite frankly the best. If you've just kept him alive until mid battle he can swing the entire fight in your favor.

On a battlefield with several half wounded enemy toons, you only need him to hit one softened Jedi. Once he gets going there's nothing stopping him. He gains offense up, evasion up and critical chance up, and proceeds to take down all opposing toons in a series of spectacular crits.
  • El_Duderino
    413 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Nonemo wrote: »
    My fully geared 7* lv 66 Maul is quite frankly the best. If you've just kept him alive until mid battle he can swing the entire fight in your favor.

On a battlefield with several half wounded enemy toons, you only need him to hit one softened Jedi. Once he gets going there's nothing stopping him. He gains offense up, evasion up and critical chance up, and proceeds to take down all opposing toons in a series of spectacular crits.

Yeah... I've only got a 4* Maul (Gear 7+). But. Yesterday I finished off a 20k rated team with Maul in the first round without the other squad even playing a turn (w/ Poe of course). I had to double take after Maul's AOE, and a few 8000 crit hits and there was nobody left standing. SMH.

I can only imagine what a fully geared 7* Maul could do.

• Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    Consistent 12K crits. Without any other toon being able to intervene. ^^

This is why everybody with a shred of sanity targets down Maul first.
  • Great AOE attack. Second only to Lando.

Just a little soft on defense.
  • I used my Jawa's aoe then Maul proceeded to one shot every enemy...attacking 6 times in a row. Granted, this was a dark side battle and not pvp

You must revel your power to use light side chars in dark side battles!!!! :open_mouth:
  • Mizo
    172 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    He's way too slow to be viable in top tier arena. The fight is over before he gets a turn. Need at least 118 spd and 10k health for arena.
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    He's slow and squishy, yes. Because if he wasn't, he'd be OP as all heck. Doesn't mean he can't be used effectively. But you need taunters and ATK down toons to keep him alive I think.

With all builds being rather streamlined I think we will see a lot of new powerful combos emerging in time.
  • Mizo
    172 posts Member
    Nonemo wrote: »
    He's slow and squishy, yes. Because if he wasn't, he'd be OP as all heck. Doesn't mean he can't be used effectively. But you need taunters and ATK down toons to keep him alive I think.

With all builds being rather streamlined I think we will see a lot of new powerful combos emerging in time.

If my whole team gets a turn before DM he will never get an attack.
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    That's what QGJ and Poe are for. I usually use QGJ's harmonious strike on the second most squishy Jedi in a team. Whenever Maul gets called in for assistance he kills the Jedi in question. On his next attack he kills the squishiest (is that even a word?) Jedi, and then I fire his AOE.