My solution to the MOD debacle...

Joeyd7878
276 posts Member
edited August 2016
First off, please allow me to say thank you to the developers and all parties involved. This is, hands down, the best video game I've played in several years. Being a child of the 80s I've always enjoyed the games of this nature and grind (FF7 anyone?) and with modern games going deeper into the online realm (I really suck at Call of Duty), I have a hard time finding good ones to play. I appreciate your efforts and the time you've spent developing SWGOH. Thank you.

I will preface what I'm about to say with this; you have already heard what I'm about to say from others. Please allow me to say it in a different way (and a different tone)

The introduction of mods was frustrating to say the least. Everyone had a hard time adjusting and of course several things needed tweaking on your end, both of which are common place these days. My solution is this...

Make MOD upgrades cheaper.

That's it. That's all I think it will take to both make the MOD system better and appease the masses. Let's say 50% reduction. No need to tweak the secondary stats (Rey at 746197 speed? That's fine, because if I can't match her speed then I can counter It with maybe say extra protection) Keep the drop rates frustratingly low (because if they're cheaper to upgrade then I can afford to have a small surplus now) and even keep as many crosses and arrows that you want. Variance is part of the grind that I enjoy.

As credits are drastically harder to hold onto then they once were, they are obviously in high demand (level up? Buy insanely priced shipments and mods? Start work on a new jawa team? Which way do I go?) I could afford these things if I wasn't spending all of my credits on mods that I ultimately don't want. As of now, I have over 30million I could spend on star upgrades alone. I'm not suggesting that they be upgraded with pennies but come on...500k+ to get a mod to level 15? That's just unfair. And expensive. And frustrating. And expensive.

I would rather spend tons of credits on 10 MODs then spend tons of credits on 1 MOD. I want to spend tons of credits. Just make them enjoyable to spend, please. A reduction in price would make me happy.
Post edited by Joeyd7878 on

Replies

• PS- let's stop charging credits to unequip as well.
  • Keeping drop rates frustratingly low keeps the people who got many hundreds of mods more than others will ever have gripping their server by the throat.

Those that will need ten times the energy/time to catch up lose ground by the day as they get wrecked in arena.

Those that bought crystals to buy mods at one power level only to have the power of those mods slashed still feel defrauded.

You have not solved any of the worst problems of mod gate. The solution that has already been implemented is to pretend it never happened, and let all the customers who got screwed stay screwed.
  • They already doubled the price of upgrading mods. What makes you think they'll reverse it now?
  • JacenRoe wrote: »
    Keeping drop rates frustratingly low keeps the people who got many hundreds of mods more than others will ever have gripping their server by the throat.

Those that will need ten times the energy/time to catch up lose ground by the day as they get wrecked in arena.

Those that bought crystals to buy mods at one power level only to have the power of those mods slashed still feel defrauded.

You have not solved any of the worst problems of mod gate. The solution that has already been implemented is to pretend it never happened, and let all the customers who got screwed stay screwed.

They're not going to solve/address every issue at once, obviously. One step at a time. Cut prices. Baby steps.
  • markusfive wrote: »
    They already doubled the price of upgrading mods. What makes you think they'll reverse it now?

I don't think they will, but hopefully they'll read the post anyway.
  • Joeyd7878 wrote: »
    JacenRoe wrote: »
    Keeping drop rates frustratingly low keeps the people who got many hundreds of mods more than others will ever have gripping their server by the throat.

They're not going to solve/address every issue at once, obviously. One step at a time. Cut prices. Baby steps.

I don't know if you noticed the tread approaching 4000 posts about how much people hate GW. The response has been, "we don't care. Deal with it."

Which is more response than we'll ever get on mod. They're not going to solve/address ANY issue with that.
  • JacenRoe wrote: »

When mods were introduced I got four 6* mods that were changed to 5* mods. Reason I'm saying this is because the devs know exactly how many mods and which mods people got. With that being said...you said they are keep the drop rates extremely low while many people got hundreds. That word "hundreds" is so far from the truth it's not even funny. I'll clarify..the 100% drop rate lasted not even 48 hours. The day mods were released many people including myself already spent your daily crystals refreshes which left us not getting many that day. At the most people were refreshing mods 3 times 100/200/400 crystals. That's a high percentage of the community. Multiply that for 2 days DOES NOT equal out to hundreds of mods. Even for a whale to spend 100/200/400/800/1600 crystals for two days doesn't equal out to "hundreds" of mods.

Am I wrong? Can anybody on these forums rebuttal this?

So as you can see...your statement is nothing but hyperbole. It's posts like yours that the Devs will not pay a single second of attention to because opinions don't make facts. Facts make facts.

As for as the OP, I agree...make mods cheaper to upgrade. As for stats and rarities...mods should remain as they are.
  • Aniema wrote: »

When mods were introduced I got four 6* mods that were changed to 5* mods. Reason I'm saying this is because the devs know exactly how many mods and which mods people got. With that being said...you said they are keep the drop rates extremely low while many people got hundreds. That word "hundreds" is so far from the truth it's not even funny. I'll clarify..the 100% drop rate lasted not even 48 hours. The day mods were released many people including myself already spent your daily crystals refreshes which left us not getting many that day. At the most people were refreshing mods 3 times 100/200/400 crystals. That's a high percentage of the community. Multiply that for 2 days DOES NOT equal out to hundreds of mods. Even for a whale to spend 100/200/400/800/1600 crystals for two days doesn't equal out to "hundreds" of mods.

So as you can see...your statement is nothing but hyperbole. It's posts like yours that the Devs will not pay a single second of attention to because opinions don't make facts. Facts make facts.

As for as the OP, I agree...make mods cheaper to upgrade. As for stats and rarities...mods should remain as they are.

120 energy per day/refresh=7.5 attempts at tier 3

Daily regen plus 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600= 45 tier 5 mods

That drop rate was available for parts of 3 days actually so 45x3=135

So the crystal amounts you cited make well over 100 pretty easy. That's not counting the fact that many had stockpiled energy for days, and many whales spend thousands of dollars on this game. You can see YouTube videos of people who've spent over $100,000 or more on the game. You think they stopped there.

I'm a free player, and I got over 60 mods with 5 dots before the drop rate was gutted. Some guild mates spent tiny amounts and got over 100. We have an unfair advantage over most on our servers. I just want to see a level playing field.
  • Stormy
    951 posts Member
    Has anyone noticed a chance at instant level upgrade, or was that just the one time thing?
  • Stormy wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed a chance at instant level upgrade, or was that just the one time thing?

While I would love to see it again, it was probably a one time thing.
  • Drop rates suck. especially when the "cantina" energy you use doesn't count for cantina!!
    I barely play for mods. waste of energy and money.
    and it makes you need a calculator to add up all the different %s trying to figure out damage, TM, health, speed, tenacity, or one of the 100 other factors I already have to try an ana!yze.
    can't I just play a game without having to be a Calculus Major to advance??
  • Joeyd7878
    276 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Drop rates suck. especially when the "cantina" energy you use doesn't count for cantina!!
    and it makes you need a calculator to add up all the different %s trying to figure out damage, TM, health, speed, tenacity, or one of the 100 other factors I already have to try an ana!yze.

It actually calculates all that stuff for you. It asks you to confirm or revert the mod switch with the stats to the right. Or Just hit that button under their figurine picture after the fact.
    Post edited by Joeyd7878 on
  • Drop rates suck. especially when the "cantina" energy you use doesn't count for cantina!!

The mods themselves are not that hard to figure out. They would even be fun to play with... If they didn't suck up all the cantina energy. Drop rates do suck, but it would be fine if it had always been that rate for everyone, and didn't use up cantina energy. But that's on purpose to boost revenue.
  • Aniema
    602 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Aniema wrote: »

So the crystal amounts you cited make well over 100 pretty easy. That's not counting the fact that many had stockpiled energy for days, and many whales spend thousands of dollars on this game. You can see YouTube videos of people who've spent over $100,000 or more on the game. You think they stopped there.

I'm a free player, and I got over 60 mods with 5 dots before the drop rate was gutted. Some guild mates spent tiny amounts and got over 100. We have an unfair advantage over most on our servers. I just want to see a level playing field.

It doesn't change the fact that there were exaggerations in your post I commented on. You said 135 mods this time. That is closer how many mods people got those first couple of days than saying people got hundreds of mods more than others.

And as for the people who spent tons of money on this game I'm ok with the fact they got tons of mods. I am sitting slightly over 500 mods since they were introduced.

Tell me something...do you think it's wrong if someone spent 5k on mods and got tons of them? It's their money to do with what they want as long as they aren't hurting anybody. Why hate on people who spent money to get ahead? Why hate on people who prepared and stockpile energy to get mods?

Bottom line, if they spent money or prepared before hand they deserve to get mods. I deserved to get as many as they could because they bought them. It's not like they cheated. It's not like they hack anything. It was all done legit. What was messed up is that EA changed all the mod stats after people got them. That's what is unfair. As for as hating on people that have a lot of mods..it seems people on here are just jealous because other have them.

It's a simple case of the haves vs the have-nots. And it's the have-nots that's doing all the pity party crying.

Like I said in my previous post the 100/200/400/800/1600 crystals wasn't spent by a large portion of the community. That as done by a small percentage of whales. Most people including myself stopped at 400 crystals. So that 135 number is still an exaggeration when talking about the community as a whole. Try again.
  • Joeyd7878 wrote: »
    PS- let's stop charging credits to unequip as well.

Never gonna happen. There would players that would interchange mods for arena and GW everyday. EA would lose money and they don't like that.

• Neo2551
    1824 posts Member
    Then they could implement a 24h cooling time before reassigning a mod for free.
  • tRRRey
    2782 posts Member
    markusfive wrote: »
    They already doubled the price of upgrading mods. What makes you think they'll reverse it now?

Oh didn't you hear? @CG_NotReallyAJedi actually said that they make upgrade costs more linear, which is apparently what the community asked for! :smile:
    https://swgoh.gg/u/trey 66/
    Make Zader Great Again!
  • pac0naut
    3236 posts Member
    tRRRey wrote: »

Oh didn't you hear? @CG_NotReallyAJedi actually said that they make upgrade costs more linear, which is apparently what the community asked for! :smile:

I don't remember the community asking for this.
    Meanwhile, down on the farm....
  • pac0naut wrote: »
    tRRRey wrote: »

I don't remember the community asking for this.
    Hahaha, of course you do silly :). Why else would they put it in the game, they always listen to us.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member

It doesn't change the fact that there were exaggerations in your post I commented on. You said 135 mods this time. That is closer how many mods people got those first couple of days than saying people got hundreds of mods more than others.

And as for the people who spent tons of money on this game I'm ok with the fact they got tons of mods. I am sitting slightly over 500 mods since they were introduced.

Tell me something...do you think it's wrong if someone spent 5k on mods and got tons of them? It's their money to do with what they want as long as they aren't hurting anybody. Why hate on people who spent money to get ahead? Why hate on people who prepared and stockpile energy to get mods?

Bottom line, if they spent money or prepared before hand they deserve to get mods. I deserved to get as many as they could because they bought them. It's not like they cheated. It's not like they hack anything. It was all done legit. What was messed up is that EA changed all the mod stats after people got them. That's what is unfair. As for as hating on people that have a lot of mods..it seems people on here are just jealous because other have them.

It's a simple case of the haves vs the have-nots. And it's the have-nots that's doing all the pity party crying.

Like I said in my previous post the 100/200/400/800/1600 crystals wasn't spent by a large portion of the community. That as done by a small percentage of whales. Most people including myself stopped at 400 crystals. So that 135 number is still an exaggeration when talking about the community as a whole. Try again.

So first off, I did the math to prove that getting hundreds is not hyperbole. I did a 1600 refresh as a F2P player with earned/saved crystals. Whales got way more. Hyperbole would be saying some got thousands. I doubt that happened. But saying some got hundreds is fact. Go watch YouTube videos of whales sorting their mods.

Second I never said it was a large number of people that did that. If everyone did it then there would be no problem. It was a small number of people that got ahead substantially. That is an unfair advantage.

Third, I have no issue with them doing that. I did as much as I could. I am happy they spent their money on something they enjoy. I don't feel jealous that they spend to get ahead. It's always been that way. Whales spent to get ahead. The rest slowly grind, and eventually catch up a little. Then some new feature is added, and it starts all over again. The problem is that they got to farm 5 dot mods at 9 times the rate we can now. (I can do the math on that to prove I'm not exaggerating if you want) The advantage they gained in hours or days should have taken weeks or a month or two for other free players to grind away at. Then the tap was cut off, and it will now take months if not a year to get the same amount of mods. Again. Please ask me to do the math. I'd be happy to.

Fourth, I never blamed players. I'd do the same in their shoes. The devs added something and then took it away. I benefited as much as I could. I'm doing fine. But many of my guild mates were totally crippled by that spazzed rollout of mods. We lost tons of good people not just because of the way the mod drop rate nerf put them behind others, and ruined months of their hard work, but because there wasn't even an aknowledgement that they were getting screwed, or any attempt to give them a fair chance to catch up.

I want everyone to have even odds at pulling mods even if some can pay a ton to get them faster, and others have to grind a bit. That's all. And I'd have huge respect for the devs if they admitted that it was a problem of their making, and that it IS unfair instead of minimizing it with double talk, and half truths. Even if the corporate overlords won't allow them to actually change anything.
  • Aniema
    602 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Your original post said"keeping the drop rate low while others got hundreds". Key word here is "hundreds"

You also said a 100/200/400/800/1600 refresh equals out to 45 mods. Times 3 days equals 135 mods.

You talking as if people got hundreds more mods then others in the 3 day span while others got none. How can people have hundreds more than others? A lot of players got mods the first 3 days..free to play and Catina refreshers alike. So it's not "hundred" like you are saying.

I'm sorry but yes..this is hyperbole.

I spend money on this game. I missed the first day but on the next 2 days I did 100/200/400 and 800 Catina refreshes. Since mods were released I've refreshed Catina twice a day 100/200 and I have a total of 540 mods. Many of which isn't 5* but also 4 and 3*.

Whales may have hundreds more because they spent more. And that is ok it's me. Not only that, the percentage of whales in this game is far more lower than dolphins and free to play people.

Now if you would have said "whales got hundreds more than others" that maybe true. But don't make it out to be like so many people have soooo much advantage over others cause they don't. It only takes 25 good mods to equip on a squad of really good toons. So the balance fighting one another is a lot closer than others are exaggerating it to be. To say a small number of of people got an unfair advantage is such a bogus and hyperbole statement. You got to do refreshes those 3 days, if they spent money and you didn't that's not their fault it's your fault. Don't act all jealous and mad it's unattractive and ugly.

@JacenRoe
  • Joeyd7878
    276 posts Member
    edited August 2016

Just curious, why do you keep so many mods? Do you equip every toon or just keep them just in case...
  • Neo2551 wrote: »
    Then they could implement a 24h cooling time before reassigning a mod for free.

Not a bad idea.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    You talking as if people got hundreds more mods then others in the 3 day span while others got none. How can people have hundreds more than others? A lot of players got mods the first 3 days..free to play and Catina refreshers alike. So it's not "hundred" like you are saying.

I'm sorry but yes..this is hyperbole

There are level 70-80 players in my guild (or used to be) who didn't have a stockpile of crystals. They were still slowly working their way through the mod battles to unlock the challenges while partly still farming cantina toons. They got very few 5 dot mods. Some just a dozen or less. They weren't expecting the drop rates to be slashed in 2 plus days.

Whales may have hundreds more because they spent more. And that is ok it's me.

Yes. Exactly. Whales have hundreds more. We agree on that. And as I said (which you must not have read) I'm OK with that too. Good for them. I just want everyone else to be able to grind out the 5 dot mods at the same 100% drop rate they had. Instead it's now 30-40%, and 2 thirds of the time it's 3-4 dot mods. So 1/3 of 1/3 or 9 times slower.

It only takes 25 good mods to equip on a squad of really good toons.

It takes 30 actually for one arena team. And you have to farm way more than that to actually get 30 useable ones. I got tons of squares. Very few of all others. As I said I got more than 60 total, and didn't have enough to outfit just my 5 arena toons. Even with 100% drop rate it's still like panning for gold. A lot of them were redundant, or had lousey stats.

But more useabl mods also help with alternate GW toons, Raid toons, toons for challenges or events, etc. You're playing on a different level in multiple phases if you have a big cache of 5 dot mods.
    You got to do refreshes those 3 days, if they spent money and you didn't that's not their fault it's your fault. Don't act all jealous and mad it's unattractive and ugly.

I'm not jealous because I got as many mods as I could, so I'm fine. In fact I've been top 5 in arena the last 5 days. (#2 three times.) I finish GW daily. I can solo the pig phase of T7 raids. Even the things I don't have don't make me jealous. The Wedge/Biggs duo for example. Want wedge. Can't afford 'em. Fine with it. I've been playing freemium games for years. I know the drill. So not sure why you're spewing hate at me.

And If you had read anything I wrote you'd have seen that I don't blame any players for anything. Good for them for using their money however makes them happy. They earned that right. If they can afford to spend thousands on a tap game they are better at life than I am. And they were just following the rules. But the devs changed the rules. That is unfair. The rule change. They could change it back. But I'm not holding my breathe.

So the situation that exists now is that some players payed to get most of the mods they need in a single weekend, and others barely got a few before the door slammed shut. And a whole lot are in between. I'm on the high end. I'm doing well, but I watch guild mates struggling who shouldn't be. I'm not in the gutter looking up, and shaking my first at those better off than I. I'm in the penthouse looking down at my guild mates who are screwed. I have an unfair advantage. And even though it isn't my fault, I'm objective enough to admit that it exists. I would rather have a fair fight (for everyone to farm mods at the same original rate I benefited from), and have a harder fight in arena, and more competition from guild mates in raids then to see precraft 2.0 screwing some unfairly. If wanting fairness for others makes me ugly as you say then say some other nasty things about me.
  • @JacenRoe

I agree with how the devs changed to drop rate from 100% to whatever it is now. It sucks to be honest. Had we all known before hand, we all would have conserved energy and spent as much crystals on refreshes we could all afford. That was a greedy change on their fault.

Even worse. The mods originally had way better stats. It was nice to see super high damage numbers. After two days the devs did one of the worse backstabbing things yet...they waited until people spent tons of money and resources to get mods then flat out changed all kinds of stats making the original mods not as good as the was. That was beyond messed up on their part. That was a clear case of they didn't beta test mods but we did. The result was a huge your not gonna get away with this from the community and many,many,many people sought after getting refunds.

The whole mod issue with me is a touchy subject. Even now there are other people on these forums wanting secondary stats changed because they weren't as lucky as other people who got better mods. They even acknowledge this and would support a nerf cause that's what they want, since others have what they do not.This would result in yet another mod nerf if the devs would go through with listen to them..which I hope they don't listen to them.

I apologize and I am sorry for being quite rude to you today. I like this game but hate what people are trying to do to it. You receive the blunt force of my anger today and did not deserve that.

Also to the OP, my apologies for derailing this thread. It's about making upgrades cheaper which I support 100% fully. Not about who got what. Making upgrades cheaper is a wonderful idea and should be implemented asap.

This thread on mods is one of the more positive ones. One that would actually help everyone and not divide the community. We actually need more ideas like the OP's. We can all agree there has been more nerf threads than there needs to be on mods, toons etc. We can all agree we all have different experiences on this game. With that being said its gonna take more people from the community to come together, put away differences and figure out what's best for everyone..from the whales and the f2p's.
  • Aniema wrote: »
    @JacenRoe

I agree with how the devs changed to drop rate from 100% to whatever it is now. It sucks to be honest. Had we all known before hand, we all would have conserved energy and spent as much crystals on refreshes we could all afford. That was a greedy change on their fault.

Even worse. The mods originally had way better stats. It was nice to see super high damage numbers. After two days the devs did one of the worse backstabbing things yet...they waited until people spent tons of money and resources to get mods then flat out changed all kinds of stats making the original mods not as good as the was. That was beyond messed up on their part. That was a clear case of they didn't beta test mods but we did. The result was a huge your not gonna get away with this from the community and many,many,many people sought after getting refunds.

The whole mod issue with me is a touchy subject. Even now there are other people on these forums wanting secondary stats changed because they weren't as lucky as other people who got better mods. They even acknowledge this and would support a nerf cause that's what they want, since others have what they do not.This would result in yet another mod nerf if the devs would go through with listen to them..which I hope they don't listen to them.

I apologize and I am sorry for being quite rude to you today. I like this game but hate what people are trying to do to it. You receive the blunt force of my anger today and did not deserve that.

Also to the OP, my apologies for derailing this thread. It's about making upgrades cheaper which I support 100% fully. Not about who got what. Making upgrades cheaper is a wonderful idea and should be implemented asap.

This thread on mods is one of the more positive ones. One that would actually help everyone and not divide the community. We actually need more ideas like the OP's. We can all agree there has been more nerf threads than there needs to be on mods, toons etc. We can all agree we all have different experiences on this game. With that being said its gonna take more people from the community to come together, put away differences and figure out what's best for everyone..from the whales and the f2p's.

I appreciate that. I'm sorry if my stubbornness touched a nerve. Also, I'm as much at fault for derailing this thread as anybody. Sorry OP. I have a stubborn streak, and don't like backing down if I believe I'm right. And I do still think I'm right about mod drop rates being unfair. ;)

But to the original point, lower cost of upgrading would be nice. Credit costs are drastically outpacing income sources being added. And removing/swapping mods around for free all the time would be awesome. It would encourage experimentation.
  • No worries you too. For what it's worth, I went out of my way to be positive bc of the overall tone of most posts on the forum. You wouldn't believe how many traffic tickets I've gotten out of simply because I was cordial to the officer.
    This is not to say that I disagree with most points made on here, I think mods were an overall mistake and liked the game better before their implementation. But these decisions aren't always up to us and we need to roll with the punches when we can.
    Keeping with a positive tone, you two **** it up and shook hands. That's rare to see around these parts. Good on you guys.
  • The whole game would benefit from a 50% reduction in cost. I was thinking this earlier.
  • The whole game would benefit from a 50% reduction in cost. I was thinking this earlier.

I really do think that it would go a long way in calming everyone down around here.