Who are or is the Jedi in "Return of the Jedi"?

ShatterlingPurslane
493 posts Member
edited August 2016
I used to think that Luke Skywalker was the one who restored the balance. That by the end of the film, he's the first known Jedi after all others died, and so the Jedi in the title refers to him.
But then, as I grew older, I started to think that the Jedi from the title isn't a singular Jedi. It's more that when the balance is restored, it opens up the path for new Jedi, who now won't have to hide anymore. They can return as the galactic power that they were and that's what the title refers to.
But then much too soon I grew older again and now I simply think the Jedi that returns -and restores the balance- is Anakin. When Darth Vader saves Luke and kills the emperor, it's Anakin and not Vader who acts. The Sith that was Vader doesn't exist anymore at that point, just like the Jedi Anakin ceased to exist when he attacked Mace Windu and the Jedi Temple. So Jedi Anakin returns, kills Palpie, restores the balance, dies, and "lives" on as a Jedi Force Ghost.

What are your thoughts?

Who are or is the Jedi in "Return of the Jedi"? 35 votes

Luke Skywalker
14% 5 votes
Anakin Skywalker
48% 17 votes
The Jedi in general, a galactic power like they were, their name restored
31% 11 votes
Other
5% 2 votes

Replies

• Snake2
    1455 posts Member
    Options
    Anakin brought "balance" when he took part in killing 99 percent of the Jedi in the galaxy.

When he killed the emperor and then died, the force was decidedly out of balance. Maybe it's better that way, but not "balanced".

I think the movie refers to Luke who more or less completely embraced the Jedi teachings and brought Jedi back to the galaxy.
  • Options
    Anakin is the Chosen One despite many thinking it was Luke. George Lucas even confirmed it in an interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgBpoiC8qGA
    Team Steroid Council Member - "A wise leader knows when to follow"
  • Options
    ShewardN wrote: »
    Anakin is the Chosen One despite many thinking it was Luke. George Lucas even confirmed it in an interview.
    Thanks, nice find. It's clear that Anakin/Vader brings balance by destroying the Sith and that "he goes back to being Anakin again". It doesn't answer my question unambiguously but that's probably better.
  • Options
    ShewardN wrote: »
    Thanks, nice find. It's clear that Anakin/Vader brings balance by destroying the Sith and that "he goes back to being Anakin again". It doesn't answer my question unambiguously but that's probably better.
    Fair enough. Well, to answer your real question, I think the title refers to Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker returning as a Jedi.
    Team Steroid Council Member - "A wise leader knows when to follow"
  • Options
    Its luke.. Simply because he was the reason/ the key for rebalance. Sure vader killed the emperor and himself.. Cuz of love to luke. Maybe both are part of it..BUT actually there was no balance lol.. 0 sith alive and 1 jedi .. Thats not balance haha
    I dont care about the new movies or clone wars stuff.. Thats not starwars for me.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    All of the above - many meanings for the title. Its deep man.
  • Options
    I like the whole Anakin idea but personally I think it refers to the Jedi returning from hiding and rejoining the galaxy
  • Aero
    2972 posts Member
    Options
    It's meant to be viewed however you want, that's the genius of ambiguous titles. In terms of he saga though it's definitely primarily referring to Anakin.

Also regarding balance and the force, a lot of people consider this like 1 sith and 1 jedi is a net neutral and this balance. That's certainly one way of looking at it, but the way the Jedi Order has interpreted it is that only the the light side of the force is at balance (not necessarily just the Jedi, as the force resides in every living being).

The darkside of the force is an unnatural use of the force which brings it out of balance. The darkside manipulates the force to kill others beings in which the force resides. It's controlling the force against the will of the force. Force Lightning itself is twisting and corrupting the very fabric of he force. There's nothing balanced about that.

But then again, Yoda does state himself that the Jedi could have misread the prophecy. In the end their interpretation was correct, it just didn't play out as directly expected.
  • Options
    I used to think that Luke Skywalker was the one who restored the balance. That by the end of the film, he's the first known Jedi after all others died, and so the Jedi in the title refers to him.
    But then, as I grew older, I started to think that the Jedi from the title isn't a singular Jedi. It's more that when the balance is restored, it opens up the path for new Jedi, who now won't have to hide anymore.

What are your thoughts?

You are WAY over thinking this. First movie : A New Hope.

Followed by Empire Strikes back

Then Return of the Jedi.

Its not a who or what its a THEME! They started with rebel base camp to take out the evil empire, and later the evil empire managed to rebuild.. and Jedi again had to save the day..

It's pretty basic.
  • Options
    The Jedi misinterpreted prophecy, the force is still unbalanced, and the chosen one is Rey Kenobi.