A reality we all need to accept...

Prev13
ioniancat21
2091 posts Member
edited January 2016
We all need to understand that EA built this game for the whales, not F2P. The only reason they allow us in the room is only so those 1% they cater to have people to play with. The game would immediately shut down if they only had those 1% of players remaining because then all this game would be is a spending war of which elite player can buy the most junk to stay relevant.

For the players who don't have thousands to drop on SWGOH, I'd advise you use caution when spending money here because I expect the trend of future updates to work out similarly to this one as the paradigm of the game shifts as EA/CG meet financial targets.

Once they meet those numbers, the usefulness of F2P players will lessen and there will be similarly less content made to keep you around because they made the money they needed to from the whales and know they can slowly stop improving things as P2W players can walk away from thousands invested here and go do it elsewhere all over again.

In close, expect things to get harder for F2P as time passes and also expect to see the gaps widening between the elite P2W players and their F2P counterparts. I really feel for the newer players who don't have much resources and now will have a difficult time farming and growing. I've been told plenty of times that EA/CG know how to make money and this is the strategy that works, so I guess we'll have to wait and see but if this update is a sign of things to come, expect more conflict and anger.

There is not much more anyone can say going forward other than "good luck". In the end of the day, we've said our piece, now let's wait until this story ends to see who was right....

Replies

• Options
    We all need to understand that EA built this game for the whales, not F2P. The only reason they allow us in the room is only so those 1% they cater to have people to play with. The game would immediately shut down if they only had those 1% of players remaining because then all this game would be is a spending war of which elite player can buy the most junk to stay relevant.

For the players who don't have thousands to drop on SWGOH, I'd advise you use caution when spending money here because I expect the trend of future updates to work out similarly to this one as the paradigm of the game shifts as EA/CG meet financial targets.

Once they meet those numbers, the usefulness of F2P players will lessen and there will be similarly less content made to keep you around because they made the money they needed to from the whales and know they can slowly stop improving things as P2W players can walk away from thousands invested here and go do it elsewhere all over again.

In close, expect things to get harder for F2P as time passes and also expect to see the gaps widening between the elite P2W players and their F2P counterparts. I really feel for the newer players who don't have much resources and now will have a difficult time farming and growing. I've been told plenty of times that EA/CG know how to make money and this is the strategy that works, so I guess we'll have to wait and see but if this update is a sign of things to come, expect more conflict and anger.

There is not much more anyone can say going forward other than "good luck". In the end of the day, we've said our piece, now let's wait until this story ends to see who was right....

Amen my man
  • Options
    I couldn't agree more, they pander to the big spenders and neglect the f2p players, even though it's supposed to be a f2p game. Spenders should always get an advantage, but the bridge between f2p and big spenders is going to become so big that it'll lose its appeal to many f2p players in the long run. I can quite easily make top 10 in squad arena, yesterday I finished 3rd which was the highest i've finished since day 1 when I finished 1st, but soon with the big spenders I expect I'll struggle to even make the top 50.
  • Options
    People need to recognize that it kills me to write a post like this because in building TNF with @aspenstar and @Darth_Ryu_Kai, along with posting in the forum, I've spoken to many great people who are not wealthy and love the game and are just so disgusted, some even throwing in the towel feeling like they can't be relevant. Many call me a troll and other things but I write all this stuff here because I want to see everyone have a place to hang their hat, rather than being shown the exit...
  • Options
    The gw change had nothing to do with pandering to the 1%.
  • Options
    Eaywen wrote: »

I didn't mention the whole GW mess in this post, just trends I believe are coming..
  • Options

I didn't mention the whole GW mess in this post, just trends I believe are coming..

Well this statement just nullified your whole premise. I appreciate that you sincerely "believe" these trends are coming, just as I can come to grips that some people still "believe" the Earth is flat.

I respect the fact that is their true "belief " but until it is proven or in this case comes to pass it is all just conjecture.

• Options
    I appricate what the OP is trying to say but, imo this is one of the most F2P friendly games I've ever played, coming from games such as Summoners War etc where their truly is a massive gap between f2p and p2w players. About 90% of the characters here can be farmed, their are numerous shards so plenty of people can be number one, also rewards are given out at 6pm your time, so potentially there's 24 number 1 winners every day.

That is the so generous, nearly all other games have 1 leaderboard with 1 reward given at one set time. F2P players don't get close to the top 100/1000 in these games yet F2P can obtain rank 1 here, at least for their 6pm reward time. While this may change in the future, currently they are still very generous to F2P, people are far too hard on them when in fact they are spoiled rotten in comparison to f2p in other games.
  • Options
    Come on ppl! These guys also, created HODA which btw is very f2p friendly. If you've ever played HODA and spent time in the forums you will instantly notice that most if not all the feedback players gave for HODA went into this game.
  • Pokebreaker
    734 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    That's common for many F2P games. However, that doesn't mean free players can't still get enjoyment from the games. I work 12+ hours a day, and play this game during my winding down phase of going to bed. I get the materials and levels as they come, however slowly, and don't feel the need to rush through the "content". I'm that guy that plays Candy Crush, and instead of inviting friends to circumvent the wait time for refreshes, or the 72-hour wait to go to the next set of levels; I just log off and come back to the game once the allotted wait time has elapsed. This mindset is what allows me to enjoy F2P games, even with it being painfully obvious they are designed to milk certain types of people.

I remember when Elder Scrolls Online first came out on PC. It was fun at first, then it started to feel like I was playing an F2P game, as far as the massive time/money sinks. The problem with that, was that we paid $60+ upfront, and an additional $15 per month. So F2P styled tactics, such as creating a cash shop within the first 30-days, where you could flat out buy a mount, was a sensitive topic, as it was an indicator of things to come. It was especially insulting for those (not me) who forked over more initial purchase cost to get the deluxe editions, just to have their exclusivity removed. The Devs were trying to double dip. I wouldn't mind this tactic if it were an F2P, because it's known that is how they make their money, plus I wouldn't have to pay any initial costs just to try the game.

SWGOH is an F2P, so we know we can expect F2P tactics to be employed to take advantage of the targetted player's psychology profile, in order maximize profits (which is the point of a business). I'm not trying to say it as though they are some evil corporation, but that there is more to designing a game than artwork and coding. Whether each company does the work themselves, or are just using copycat knowledge from others, the F2P model is one that employs it's knowledge of human psychology to drive sales and repeat visits. That's why the most common sale items across F2Ps are "time saving" items. They specifically create time-barriers to take advantage of the common desire for humans to have things NOW. Then they sell you an item that lets you circumvent the timer, and make you feel as though you are getting some sort of true value from it.

Then, if an F2P adds a multiplayer mode, this REALLY sets things off, as not only do humans want to have their toys NOW, they also want to have the shiniest toys to show off to others, while sitting at the top of a leaderboard. All of which is very intentfully locked behind a pay wall.

All that being said, while SWGOH may currently have a slightly better/fair model than others, it's still an F2P, and if necessary, they will travel down the dark side in order to continue running, as you noted. The most we can do is not relinquish control of our patience, but also not forget that the game is free to anyone who chooses not to buy. In my opinion, it feels good to know I am not their psychological profile target audience. I would hate to be so predictable that the gaming development community could literally use a cookie cutter model (F2P) to milk me, and myself be too ignorant to realize it.

At the end of the day, everyone has a choice. EA/CG didn't force anyone to download the game, nor to make IAPs. Those players who fit the target profile, will do exactly as they are expected, and the F2P community will continue thrive. And I will be there getting my free entertainment from it, while it lasts. I'm used to decades of paying $50-$60+ upfront for games that turn out to be garbage, so I don't feel bad about milking free games, lol.

Sorry for any typos, I do all of my responses from my phone (as does probably everyone else).
  • Options

I wholeheartedly disagree. I've not seen a single thing in the game that heavily favours p2p, the refill costs scaling ensure that almost all of the f2p can gear farm.

The latest characters that were added to the game (Rey, Kylo, Finn, Phasma, Poe) are all farmable where only Rey can be considered to be farmed slowly. (For comparison, I unlocked Kylo in 6 days of farming).

The Arena having possibly as many as 24 different payout times effectively mean that you're almost always guaranteed at getting 10 shards a day(top 200) where even the first place nets you ~13 shards a day.

GW prior to the change was easily completed by almost all forum-goers and from what it has been seen, at least the half of the player base in a daily basis.

The packs do not guarantee any OP toons and realistically the only OP toon 'FOTP' is farmable at two nodes and the close second Poe is entirely farmable in cantina. If anything the game has the perfect balance between f2p and p2p and heavily disfavours spending for the amount of in-game power you get.

And if I can beat a team that has been built by thousands of dollars with my 0$ team, I'd say if anything the game does not tilt heavily in favour of p2p.

I'm sorry but I find whoever that is pointing that this game is dying or is impossible as f2p simply do not grasp the in-depth game knowledge as many others like me have the complete opposite experience, could this change in time? Time will tell but right now the game is simply the perfect balance between f2p and p2p.
  • Options
    whales and shrimp. The shrimp dont pay the bills, theyre only there so the whales stay happy.
  • Otar
    252 posts Member
    Options
    I love when i read "in-depth game knowledge" in such a simplistic game...
  • Options
    I too feel like the game is fairly balanced between to two, as someones who's bought the daily subscriptions to be able to refresh a whole lot and play more other than bet it at the lottery, even tho I did try once, I have no reason to believe there would be more pay to own content as it obviously sparked alot of hate in here the forums.

I don't see why they wouldn't find another way for the whales to contribute as they probably have made their fair share of money this past month or so and come up with ideas to #makethatmoney and make it feel a whole lot more player friendly.

I mean Marvel Future Fight ain't no highly competitive game and it feels so player friendly, even became so much better over time, they came up with great ideas updated alot of the game's mechanics and extra content/rooster to keep you entangled.
  • Options
    @ioniancat21 I understand exactly what you are getting at. I just finished writing to one of the developers about the disgusting pricing in this game. I'm hoping something can be done to correct this issue. Until then, I'm changing my review of this game to one star and I encourage everyone else to do the same. People seem to overlook the fact that there's a lot of options to strike back at a company who has failed its customers.
  • Vampire_X
    1435 posts Moderator
    Options
    The f2p concept is not s pious thing , it is a fact

Playing for free has and should have a natural disadvantage

1) encourage spending
    2) time in lieu of money

Time is a commodity, so free to play uses the mechanics of energy or set turns per (min/Hr) to encourage easy fast addictive play upfront (trial period) like a full console game then slowly weens you to the point where the penalty is increased time and less characters to encourage:incentivize you to make large purchases there by creating ownership which then makes your commitment to stay and make purchases more likely

True f2p value money more than time so they grind to compete ,where p2p value time over money and want more and greater content in shorter time periods

This is not judgement but a fact that many research studies have helped define and the reason for so many f2p is this model is very effective in achieving results
    Wicked Sith Queen with the Pink Saber
  • Options
    BentWookie wrote: »

Well this statement just nullified your whole premise. I appreciate that you sincerely "believe" these trends are coming, just as I can come to grips that some people still "believe" the Earth is flat.

I respect the fact that is their true "belief " but until it is proven or in this case comes to pass it is all just conjecture.

This article was written to explain the bigger picture idea beyond the update, that picture is that, in time, the F2P player will have a difficult time staying viable until eventually, there will be no place for them and all that will remain is the elite players....
  • Options
    Otar wrote: »
    I love when i read "in-depth game knowledge" in such a simplistic game...

Implying that I presume game to be complex? There are as many as 80 characters in the game in addition to many different abilities and stats. This means game knowledge, it does not make a game simple nor complex.

Chess is an incredibly simple game where there are only 6 different 'characters' yet has incredible knowledge depth attached to it so knowledge/simplicity don't actually have to match.
  • Options

So we just need to sit here and accept your assumption of the future? Yeah ok I'll get right on that. While your at it can I get some lotto numbers? Or I this a may I buy drugs from you thing?
  • Barrok
    1754 posts Member
    Options
    @ioniancat21 I understand exactly what you are getting at. I just finished writing to one of the developers about the disgusting pricing in this game. I'm hoping something can be done to correct this issue. Until then, I'm changing my review of this game to one star and I encourage everyone else to do the same. People seem to overlook the fact that there's a lot of options to strike back at a company who has failed its customers.

Just for s&g, what is your pricing suggestion? What would they have to change for you to become a "whale" and drop thousands in this game?

• Vampire_X
    1435 posts Moderator
    Options
    To put this in a different way, all our actions have a price. It is we who decide at what point we agree to be bought. As in the story of a conversation between a very sophisticated gentleman and a very respectable lady at a party. They are talking about prostitution, “Well,” says the gentleman, “just for the sake of our argument, suppose I offered you $1000—would you spend the night with me?” The lady, smiling coquettishly: “Who knows—I might very well!” The gentleman: “Now suppose I offer you $10 for the night?” The lady: “But what do you think I am?” The gentleman: “We’ve already established what you are. Now we’re just haggling over the price.”

This is the debate on price....a f2p stands on principle or is just bitter on the degree of thier desire
  • Num1Dago
    30 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    How about you accept that?
    Post edited by FashionFett on
  • Options
    @Barrok , only fools and addicts spend thousands of dollars on video games. May as well take your money and flush it.
  • Vampire_X
    1435 posts Moderator
    Options
    You just posted an article on addiction and the nature of addiction and then insult the nature of addicts who truly need help that's a little disrespectful right??
  • Barrok
    1754 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @Barrok , only fools and addicts spend thousands of dollars on video games. May as well take your money and flush it.

Ok, so let me get this straight.

1) You think it's foolish to spend thousands on this game (or any game) regardless of personal wealth.
    2) you think the pricing structure of this game is foolish
    3) You are hoping the devs listen to your email and change the structure to make said structure less foolish.

So, why do you care what the pricing structure is, if you aren't going to participate in it because you find it foolish? If your approach is that people should not be wasting money on IAP, and this game relies on IAP to survive, then why in the heck would the developers listen to you?

Also, if you believe it's an addiction that is causing people to spend all this money on the game, then there is no price change that they can create that would fix this. It's like people addicted to cigarettes. They smoke a pack of regulars a day, but if they get 'lites' they smoke 2 packs a day. The only solution is to stop completely and adjusting the pricing isn't going to fix that (because they will just spend what they normally would have, but get more).

• Options
    The developers would make much more money from incremental sales if they lowered the price structure. People would be much more likely to purchase packs at half of the prices being offered. More people would be excited about this game and give it better reviews, more word of mouth etc.
  • Options
    The developers would make much more money from incremental sales if they lowered the price structure. People would be much more likely to purchase packs at half of the prices being offered. More people would be excited about this game and give it better reviews, more word of mouth etc.

And this is based on the in-game data that you possess right? Even though I agree that the pricing structure might change as this was a testing period, it is simply a lot assumption to say that and also insult to people who keep the game running.

How a person decides to spend their money is their own business unless they interfere with your experience.
  • DarthMasterShawn
    3064 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Pretty small minded comment there. We must be fools to have worked and excelled in our field to have the disposable income to "flush" as you call it. Brilliant assessment. I spend on what I want because I have busted my butt all my life to earn money so I could enjoy whatever I wanted. If that is dropping a few hundred on a game over the weekend so be it. If it is a Limo out on the town partying, so be it. If it is a $1,000 bottle of scotch to go with a nice Cuban, so be it. I have multiple degrees with honors and highest level certifications in 3 different industries. I am no fool my friend, just someone who has worked hard to be able to spend on things I wish to, be it a Limo, vacation, Booze, or a game.

Thank you though for the brilliant assessment of me though. I will keep it close to my heart and not ever forget the wisdom you shared with me on that comment,lol.

• Options

Is that what your data is showing?
  • Barrok
    1754 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Ok ok ok , sure sounds like you can't afford the packs (or at least determine they are such bad value that you won't buy them) and that the only way for you to afford/value the packs is to have them much cheaper.

Up to this point you sound like you are fighting against IAP, but in reality you are fighting against the prices of IAP. So, if an addict can get an 8x pack for 20 bucks, and then you drop the price to 10 bucks, won't they just buy 2 packs instead?

So are you fighting against IAP, and how they harm individuals and people get addicted, or are you fine with IAP you just feel they need to be priced based on your personal preference?

To be honest, I am down for as cheap as possible. If 8x packs were a penny, I would buy a gazillion. I hope they listen to you, because I will get more for my money!!