#36 Small Life Changes : Guild Chat Profanity Filter Option

Mofojokers1992
1975 posts Member
edited August 2016
Profanity Filter
Used in games to filter out *bad or inappropriate* words.

Currently
The system is worse than the forum and making words like assist appear as ***ist. This also impacts guild communications and makes us move to outside apps alot more.

New System
Settings>Guild Settings>Filter (On/Off)
Parental Control - Locked

m78j00.png
281d4d3.png

Reason: Allow us to choose to use the filter or not. I find it really annoying as most of our slang (Australia) is bleeped out. :D

ricf8k.png

#36 Small Life Changes : Guild Chat Profanity Filter Option 19 votes

I would LIKE this change
94%
SaetetMofojokers1992Darth_cowboyJosh_KlyttCeziumMaxReboDarthpedroMoe_BettagustavosbnoeaBasti0nEnderGamer87phinfan309FiddleMasterSkynibblerForeverWest76SHAD0W4576Sith_Shala 18 votes
I would NOT like this change
5%
Ploosh 1 vote
Other
0%

Replies

• I would LIKE this change
    Some of the filters just make it difficult to communicate and makes it feel like you're doing a crossword puzzle! A recent example from our guild chat: "ac***ulate"!
    Yes, please. We need that option.

There are plenty of normal german words hiding like „weniger“. It has definitely nothing to do with black people, it just means „less“. But all I can see is we****. I never realized the german „less“ includes this bad word till your profanity filter were hiding it.
    On the other hand the really, really bad german words weren‘t hiding. So it just makes no sense.

And Boba Fetts ship is called...? You get the point.
    There are a lot of things that get bleeped that make no sense and others that should be filtered that make it through. Something needs to be done with it if they are keeping it. They could give this option, but keep the filter locked for underage users.
    phinfan309 wrote: »
    There are a lot of things that get bleeped that make no sense and others that should be filtered that make it through. Something needs to be done with it if they are keeping it. They could give this option, but keep the filter locked for underage users.

Underage users can't even see chat
  • JaggedJ
    1352 posts Member
    The funny thing is that the word filter brings attention to parts of words that would otherwise be ignored. Do in a way it's having the opposite effect as intended.
  • Stenun
    851 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    You think you got problems? Here in the UK we have counties called Essex and **** and a town called Scunthorpe! :smiley:

EDIT: Wikipedia has an article dedicated to this problem. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scunthorpe_problem