The one change that would convince me to but packs

xanderxman
505 posts Member
edited August 2016
Let me preface this by saying that I am extremely happy with the way this game has been going lately. I see lots of positive change and I like it. But there is one thing holding me back from buying the new packs.

None of this is intended to apply to Chromium or Aurodium Packs. I have no issue with how those are setup. But the squad specific packs are a sticking point for me.

I can't justify spending crystals on those packs due to the random nature of them. I have no idea what I am actually going to get from the pack. There is a wide range of possible outcomes, some good and some horrible. I don't want to spend a hard earned resource on maybe.

I look at it like this. When I go into McDonalds and order a #2 combo meal, I know exactly what I am going to get. And I can make an informed decision about the value for my dollar. The squad packs are like going into McDonalds and ordering a combo meal that MAY contain a cheeseburger, 2 chicken nuggets, a Big Mac or just a large fry.

I know I cannot truly apply this idea to a freemium game due to the nature of this game style but I have played several other freemium games and I knew exactly what I was going to get every time I spent premium currency in that game. There was no "You might get this, that or the other".

I can't speak for anyone else but I can imagine there are others who think about this the same way I do. If I knew that the Rebel pack included 5 STHan, 5 Lando, 5 HR Scout and 5 Biggs shards then I could make a decision if the pack was worth the crystals. And I would be inclined to buy that pack, depending on pricing. If it cost $25.99 then I would pass but if it were valued at $5.99 I would buy it. As it is now, I see that the rewards are so random that I can't justify buying it.

The way the packs are now there is no way to know what you are getting and that stops me from spending on them. Again, I can't speak for anyone else but I have a feeling there are others in the same boat.

It is easier to get $1.00 from one thousand people than it is to get $1,000.00 from one person. I have a feeling minor spending would increase with packs where the value was evident at purchase.

I realize EA/CG have the research and it appears that the way they are doing it works in the freemium system. But I have never played any other freemium game where rewards for spending premium currency were random. And I have spent hundreds of dollars on games like that, because I knew what I was getting.

Replies

• Options
    99% of their revenue comes from 1% of installs.

Pricing packs outrageously works.
  • Options
    I understand that. My point was that there is an opportunity to capture additional spending. We already have random, highly priced packs in Chromium and Aurodium. Why not attempt to catch those that are on the fence as F2P and willing to become P2P if the packs were just not random?
  • EscapeArtist51
    1675 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I didn't read half of what you said because it looks long, but I already know it's probably true. I stopped at the McDonald's combo meal line lol.

Chromium packs are complete garbage and a huge waste of money. I get that it's random and all, but they should really give people a higher chance of getting 4 star toons. Or give people more shards than they currently get for the 1 and 2 star toons.

Like dude. On my alt, I brought 4 chromiums. Got ugnaught, which was great I guess.. Got FOTP who is only 1 star, which means they only gave me 10 shards. Got 12 Jedi consular shards. And 10 sun fac shards.

Thats insanely poor lol. Seriously, why not give me a better chance at a 3 star or 4 star toon? I wouldn't have been mad if I had gotten sun fac, or zam wessell, or a chromium exclusive. Why are noob toons in chromium packs anyways? Wth am I gonna do with some Jedi consular shards? They're a huge waste of money, and I honestly dunno how anyone can justify spending money on chromiums. I'm not sure about aurodiums though, I've never brought one.

Edit: I'm stoopid and didn't read. Wrong rant I'll leave it here so you can laugh at my stoopidness. Yes the rebel packs and other stuff they add, is silly, that's straight up robbery. You're better off investing crystals into cantina for those toons,
  • Options
    poops should have read this before I posted my post !
  • Options
    I wouldn't pay a dime in this game because nothing is fixed. What you buy today will change tomorrow. Plus ... $84.99 for a pack. Are you kidding me!
  • Options
    last two chromium packs i bought were mostly lobot shards quit buying them after that
  • ShaolinPunk
    3486 posts Moderator
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Chromium is great in the beginning. The more heroes you have though, the less 'effective' it will feel. The free-to-play genre can be a little confusing. This is on par with several other squad building grind games, the random rewards system (think games that rhyme with Bash of Blands and Super Paddle Tack Tiks). The competitive won't be bothered by the price tag, but those on the fense of how 'competitive' they're going to allow themselves to be is a bigger challenge.

Honestly though, this game rocks at finding a balance. Some of the hardest teams I face in Arena (top 10) are all heroes you could farm fairly early on, for free! So, yeah, I get it, but no one is forcing you to do anything. One of the best Screen names I ever saw in game was "Iplayforfree" and the guy certainly could have (he was 12th node in GW and I couldn't win). :)
    **Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107
  • xanderxman
    505 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I agree with what you are saying Punk but my point was that there is a chance to actually make the packs worth it to a larger number of players. I am fine with Chromium and Aurodium being random and more for whales. I don't buy them.

But I would buy the other packs if they weren't so random. I just feel that the devs are focusing on the whales and missing a chance to get the smaller spenders spending again. I bought the Droid pack because I knew exactly what I was getting. More packs like that offered up at random times would, I feel, entice those that aren't whales to spend some cash.

As the packs stand now, I won't buy into them. And that is missed revenue for the devs. I just can't get my head around the whole random rewards thing for most of the packs that are available.
  • djvita
    1684 posts Member
    Options
    chromiums have diminishing returns, like mining an ore, once you tap it out its best to stop digging t some point (when you get too many repeats).
  • ShaolinPunk
    3486 posts Moderator
    Options
    xanderxman wrote: »
    I agree with what you are saying Punk but my point was that there is a chance to actually make the packs worth it to a larger number of players. I am fine with Chromium and Aurodium being random and more for whales. I don't buy them.

But I would buy the other packs if they weren't so random. I just feel that the devs are focusing on the whales and missing a chance to get the smaller spenders spending again. I bought the Droid pack because I knew exactly what I was getting. More packs like that offered up at random times would, I feel, entice those that aren't whales to spend some cash.

As the packs stand now, I won't buy into them. And that is missed revenue for the devs. I just can't get my head around the whole random rewards thing for most of the packs that are available.

I see your point. Hard to say without the actual business data. I'm sure they'll continue to do what sells. :)
    **Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107
  • MBL_66
    2465 posts Member
    Options
    The Emperor's demise bundle is actually a great deal at $40 compared to other fixed reward bundles they offer. Hoping to see more like them in the future.
  • ShaolinPunk
    3486 posts Moderator
    Options
    MBL_66 wrote: »
    The Emperor's demise bundle is actually a great deal at $40 compared to other fixed reward bundles they offer. Hoping to see more like them in the future.

Been thinking the same thing. I'm eying that Hoth Rebel Soldier... 50 shards is pretty enticing. :)
  • MBL_66
    2465 posts Member
    Options

Been thinking the same thing. I'm eying that Hoth Rebel Soldier... 50 shards is pretty enticing. :)

I wish I could buy it multiple times lol
  • Options

This and full character/shard/crystal/credit/ability mat bundles are the only thing worth buying. The rest is slot machines, and EA is Vegas in this model.
  • ShaolinPunk
    3486 posts Moderator
    Options

Wait is it a one time thing? Like, I didn't realize that. Grrrrr.
  • MBL_66
    2465 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Wait is it a one time thing? Like, I didn't realize that. Grrrrr.

Yea you can only buy it once but if you get the banner for it and click it you can buy again, others in the forum said so but I haven't seen a banner
  • Options
    I like the fixed reward bundles. I think more of them need to be fixed. I have no issue with packs that let me know what I will get. I hate packs that are a slot machine. Not worth my money. But I guess the devs have the data and know what will sell.
  • Options
    you guys have some points, some good points. but then you have the people like me who are the reason these kinds of issues remain issues.

i dropped a TON of real cash on the emperor's demise event and i still don't have him. why? for the exact reason the OP stated. but i took a chance and i would do it again and again and again to get what i want. and as long as there are enough of people like me they won't be changing it any time soon.

the almighty dollar isn't so almighty for me. sure i want a roof over my head and food on the table. beyond that i have no problem shelling money into this or any other game i choose to play.

in fact i said in another post from a different discussion. i would buy another emperor's demise pack if they would let me. but i already purchased my one. but i would take the chance it would give me the remaining of what i needed. if it didn't then i would just have to wait until the next time the event comes.
  • Options
    And I appreciate your spending holyjoe. You make it so I can play this game without spending too much. I don't mind that there are people who spend money. I actually want to spend money but I was not blessed in the same way you are. I need to be careful with my money. I just wish the devs would see both sides.
  • Options
    i wouldn't exactly call it blessed. more like stupid. no i won't sacrifice a roof over my head or food on the table but beyond that its a bad habit i have of spend, spend, spend.

i wish the stuff was more concrete on what you get as well. but to me it is what it is and if i wasn't willing to take that chance i should't have done it.

it's a marketing thing for suckers like me. i saw a chance to get 5 rebels for the emperor event. but thats where my thinking stopped. i didn't calculate enough to see that i would most likely not get enough to finish tier 5. but on the plus side i have less work to do getting ready for the next go around than i would if i hadn't made the purchases. before the event i had zero rebels, now i have 7 rebels 3 are 6 star, 1 is 5 star 1 is 4 star, 1 is 3 star and 1 is 2 star
  • Options
    99% of their revenue comes from 1% of installs.

Pricing packs outrageously works.

This only proves the packs are overpriced, doesn't prove the price provides the best revenue
  • Options
    If I'm going to spend $40 on character stuff, I better pull a 7*, lvl 80, maxed gear dude. There's just so many other better things I can spend my money in life
  • Options
    There was good value in the demise pack almost 20.00 in crystals and 10.00 in the credits alone.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    I would buy more if they would remove toons that are 7* from the mix (not chromium), just the others. Even with the bad odds as long as I know I'm not going to get 14 shards of a toon I have, I would consider it.
  • Options
    I'd buy them if I was gaurenteed not to get character shards for characters I've already maxed.
  • Options
    Hi I agree with everything you are saying OP, the prices are very steep in this game which puts a lot of people off combine that with the lottery of most packs and it has a double whammy effect

I've said it many times before about thier charges and reducing it to increase revenue by reaching out to a much larger demographic, but they seem content with the revenue it currently brings since nothing has changed.

So maybe character Bargain buckets,
    More may the 4th style double bubble on crystal purchases,
    Half price gear day,
    Lastly reduce the mod prices guys 2000+ crystals for one mod seriously!?

These things would be a good start

Those defending prices as good value either have more money than sense, or like the advantage it brings putting others off.