With so many changes, we should get a toon restart?

First I want to say great job fixing the credit crunch! Great event and new toon, palps. A lot of great toons are free now!
With so many toon adjustments and availability changes, would it be crazy to be able to get the investment back from a toon, or all, for a cost of course?

Replies

• Options
    You mean to say that because some toons are better than others you want some of the resources you put into the toons that aren't so great anymore back?
  • Options
    I think he wants to strip them of gear and place it elsewhere... which i could get behind.
  • Options
    be nice but won't happen. i've suggested different ideas with toons in the feedback area. my idea is to be able trade characters. either between players or just with "yourself". say you want palps. you could trade a character/characters with another player to get him. or you could give up a character/characters to get one you wanted.

i even extended the idea that you would not receive credit for an achievement from a character you activated twice.

so say you have Palps and I have Kylo Ren and we trade. My Kylo Ren would deactivate and if i wanted him again i'd have to start over from the beginning at farming him. but when activated that second time it wouldn't count towards any achievement. keeps people from cheating the achievements.

of course Kylo for Palps was just an example. not saying that would be a fair trade by any means. just using 2 toons as an example.
  • Options
    I think he wants to strip them of gear and place it elsewhere... which i could get behind.

I hope that is what he is thinking, because I just about shot coffee out my nose when I read that.

Outside of mods I can't honestly see them allowing you to strip down your toons.
  • Options
    Is that too much? If I knew yoda was going to get limped I would not have tried for him. If all the sudden tenacity becomes super-powered and Palpatine becomes useless I think a lot of people would be mad and what their investment back. Say 500 crystals get gear mats credits back. Idk about star shards u guess keep them.
  • Manowar
    288 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    One of the overarching goals of this game is to "collect" your favorite characters and battle with them, as stated by John Salera. While trading characters does fit with this theme, it conflicts with the goal of "collecting them all" (Pokemon?). When the player base is trying to collect all the characters they can, this is a best case scenario for CG from the standpoint of profit and sustainability. If you can just trade for the character you want then why spend real money?

Besides this, imagine the technical nightmare and possible doors for abuse that would open.

Also, if a player is able to "strip down" a character and get some of the value back, that is in essence saying that the character is not worth having and is a waste of time and resources (obviously). While this may actually be the case, to allow this to happen would undermine the consumer's perception of CG's game-balancing expertise and invalidate the existence of those toons that they worked so hard to create.
  • Options
    I don't think that would be a good idea. They have been doing events that require factions. So if they do nerf Emp and he's not as good in arena anymore, you would still need him for Empire events. If you deactivated or stripped him or any other toon of all gear, you would have trouble with that event. I like having toons geared up. I move mods around when I pull a toon from arena but I like having completed toons in the inventory.
  • Options
    I under the opposing point, I'm just sour of a few stun cuffs mostly!
  • Faroer
    246 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Manowar wrote: »
    One of the overarching goals of this game is to "collect" your favorite characters and battle with them, as stated by John Salera. While trading characters does fit with this theme, it conflicts with the goal of "collecting them all" (Pokemon?). When the player base is trying to collect all the characters they can, this is a best case scenario for CG from the standpoint of profit and sustainability. If you can just trade for the character you want then why spend real money?

Besides this, imagine the technical nightmare and possible doors for abuse that would open.

Also, if a player is able to "strip down" a character and get some of the value back, that is in essence saying that the character is not worth having and is a waste of time and resources (obviously). While this may actually be the case, to allow this to happen would undermine the consumer's perception of CG's game-balancing expertise and invalidate the existence of those toons that they worked so hard to create.

Konami has run Star Wars force collection quite profitably for several years now. Trading is integral to that game. So theoretically some sort of trading system could be done. Now whether it should be done is another question. In SWFC trading itself becomes like some sort of OTC stock market and takes hours and hours to do. Trading almost becomes the game itself, and the time investment to do it well is ridiculous.
  • Options
    I under the opposing point, I'm just sour of a few stun cuffs mostly!

**** cuffs!

lol

• Options
    I just put a post up with the idea of Gear Swapping. You start with a few chrs. Then you get the kool ones, why not be able to take gear from one and give it to another? Especially with the Fing Mark IV conundrum. So many gear combinations involve Mark IV'S, hell a few take two.
  • VirtraThrad
    444 posts Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    WAI gear is meant to be grinded
  • Options
    @Faroer Good point, lot's of "freemium" games have a trading system. I guess one that I've used before is on Team Fortress 2. But basically all of the items are cosmetic or status symbols, so it's not apples to apples. MMORPG games usually allow you to trade items but not usually characters in my experience.
  • ShaolinPunk
    3486 posts Moderator
    Options
    You won't see it I'm afraid. This is an old idea, and is missing the mechanics of the extended/expanded release schedule of these games. There is something called account atrophy that you need to stay ahead of if you want to stay competitive. They're going to continue adding new things. Old things become less enticing simply because they're old, sometimes there's nerfs, and for sure, some things move from being exclusive in an early-bird sort of way (get it now before your peers) to becoming available to all as they add in new content.

For example, I have heroes that were Chromium-only at launch (pretty exclusive). Some people paid hundreds (maybe more) for them, and they had their advantage. They got to play God-mode while those who didn't have say, Lando or Aayla, got pummeled. So I didn't get to play God-mode the same way they did, but that was my choice/their choice (you can't control how much others compete with their wallets).

It's a free-players dream, and a nice one at that, but I wouldn't hold my breath for something as big as you're describing: it simply doesn't happen in this market.
    **Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107