Power Calculation Formula?

Prev1
Is there a formula to calculate Power?

How exactly is power determined?

Replies

• J0K3R
    2286 posts Member
    Im pretty sure this is one of the great mysteries of life no one has cracked yet
    May the force be with you. It shall free you.
  • With the addition of mods it would be easy enough to figure out although i think it varies from toon to toon.
  • Could use simple regression analysis...
  • Niza_Squirell
    65 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Power = 3160 + (2.0 x Strength) + (6.25 x Agility) + (1.8 x Intelligence)

Thought I had it - Didn't!
  • GeorgeRules
    1580 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Lol. The way you would do it is with level 1 mods. so you ould use them to find out the difference each stat made to all stats... From there you could work out how individual stats effect the power. The problem is it could cost alot so you would use 1 star mods.
  • GeorgeRules
    1580 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Just tried it, didn't work.... I think what could make everything easier is if they added the power to the mod stats page so you could see the difference a mod makes before you equip it. Personally I would mod for max power if that was an option but it just feels as though I'm shooting in the dark.
  • Just tried it, didn't work.... I think what could make everything easier is if they added the power to the mod stats page so you coukd see the difference it makes. Personally I would mod for max power if that was an option but it just feels as though I'm shooting in the dark.

Power seems to be fairly irrelevant. Look at how low EP's unmodded power is versus Rey's unmodded power versus somebody like First Order Stormtrooper's power. FOST's power is fairly considerable yet he sucks. EP is obviously a very strong character but he's fairly low so not well represented by power, at least in my inventory, and Rey is low as well yet she has the most powerful single-target damage in the game. Honestly, it's one of those stats that after 9-months I don't feel is all that important. Synergy between characters and now mod-implementation matter a whole lot more.
  • I get that but it would still be a very useful guideline to effectiveness. I see some guys on my arena with a 7.8k rey and I'm like what. They also have a tonne more damage than me and I'm thinking maybe this crit damage mod ai t all that, I'd sooner have power to give me an idea than just guessing and hoping.
  • I get that but it would still be a very useful guideline to effectiveness. I see some guys on my arena with a 7.8k rey and I'm like what. They also have a tonne more damage than me and I'm thinking maybe this crit damage mod ai t all that, I'd sooner have power to give me an idea than just guessing and hoping.

I dunno. My team is like 42k a couple others are right about that too and we have a couple guys with squads in the low to mid 30k's that come in and manage to snipe at payout. LOL! I'm not sure what a good gauge would be.
  • droids or palp can do that. It isn't about that... It is about getting the most out of your toons and power is a good indicator of strength.
  • The only thing I know is that HP have a relatively high influence on power, hence Rey and EP have a rather low power.
  • droids or palp can do that. It isn't about that... It is about getting the most out of your toons and power is a good indicator of strength.

What specifically do you find that Power tells you?
  • how much power my toons have.
  • For EP it looks like this ∞
  • You can't define a word by using the word in the definition. LOL. I'm just trying to figure out why somebody would focus on Power. My top 5 characters by power are JKA, RG, SunFac, Nightsister Ini, and Aayla. Would that be a good team? Nnnooo... There's a random squad in our top-5 right sitting at 38k, the other 4 of us are 40.2k or greater. Somehow he can beat all of us no problem. Power doesn't mean much of anything, especially since nobody knows how it's calculated. If you don't know how something is calculated you don't really know what it means. Focus on synergy and how it related to the meta on your server and you'll be fine, at this point Power is some arbitrary number.
  • GeorgeRules
    1580 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Sorry dude, that doesn't stop it being a useful indicator. It's no different to knowing what strength agi and int a character has. that means nothing yet it is included. If the devs included it with the mods it would allow us to actually make a choice to go for max power or boost something specific. I know personally i would prefer power at times with toons i don't need to boost a stat on. But having no idea where I am with regards to that when selecting a mod makes that extremely difficult and expensive.
  • Sorry dude, that doesn't stop it being a useful indicator. It's no different to knowing what strength agi and int a character has. that means nothing yet it is included. If the devs included it with the mods it would allow us to actually make a choice to go for max power or boost something specific. I know personally i would prefer power at times with toons i don't need to boost a stat on. But having no idea where I am with regards to that when selecting a mod makes that extremely difficult and expensive.

I'm just curious because maybe I'm missing out on something. If you had a 5th spot open on a team and you needed a DPS, how would you figure out who to put there? Go with the highest power DPS? I just struggle with trying to figure out how to use a metric that is not clearly defined. It's like agreeing to marrying a women you've never met or talked to.
  • GeorgeRules
    1580 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Your being silly. If I'm modding a toon, how do I know which stat is most effective??? An educated guess at best. Power is obviously worked out to show overall effectiveness of that character. Sure it may be beneficial to boost one aspect and lose in another but the best balance would be the one that gave the biggest gain in power or at least that is my theory.
  • my theory.

And that's fine to have a theory, that's all one can have when something is unknown. Me I look at how a character works and what benefits them most. For instance Aayla, benefits a lot from crit chance is an obvious stat that's good for her. SunFac has horrible Tenacity and can't afford to be stunned because his counter and debuff are too good, so buffing his Tenacity as best I can makes sense and works fairly well. Somebody like RG benefits well from Health, Protection, and Potency. Rather than power I look at mods that compliment a strength or improve a weakness or both if I should be so lucky with my secondaries. That's my theory on how to mod.
  • Power doesn't really mean anything...It really has a lot to do with health, so my team with a 38k power can easily beat 42k power teams all the time...Ignore it. Unless your power is 5-10k lower than the other team (that would mean you have a problem), it doesn't mean a thing.
  • And that is a good educated guess at the best way to mod a character. Power is an all round balance though taking all things into consideration and weighting them against the OVERALL profile. These weightings no doubt will be the same for all characters and as such would be a balanced approach.
  • And that is a good educated guess at the best way to mod a character. Power is an all round balance though taking all things into consideration and weighting them against the OVERALL profile. These weightings no doubt will be the same for all characters and as such would be a balanced approach.

It's possible for sure. I don't know if having the most balanced approach is always the best way. You can try and keep a character balanced or you can really focus on their strengths. It's like the difference between being good at something and being an expert at something. Not to mention finding the right balance within your team. Droid players balance their speed very very specifically so certain characters always go before another character and it creates a very specific synergy, it has nothing to do with power. My current squad I have a certain setup and order for my characters too; it just depends on what you want to do I guess.
  • GeorgeRules
    1580 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Exactly, and sometimes you just want to drop the best of everything onto a character for the maximum overall boost from mods and not something overly specific.

Devs, if you're out there. Please put power onto the mod equip screen stats.
  • @Niza_Squirell Great idea! As a macroeconomist i appreciate the suggestion. Now i have to try it.
  • The issue you'll find in attempting this calculation is that Damage is certainly a factor in power rating. You can see this by upgrading an ability with a +X% Damage.

And Damage is not logically tied to any reported stat, ie. a character can have a lower Physical Damage stat than another but still do more Physical Damage. It's a non-reported stat that plays a big role that we can't account for.
  • Doesn't matter as it's incorrect. Mods made sure of that. Power does not reflect accurately for a modded toon vs unmodded. The increase in power by a mod makes no sense if you were to put the two up against each other. A modded toon would destroy an unmodded even if power only 10% higher.
  • The issue you'll find in attempting this calculation is that Damage is certainly a factor in power rating. You can see this by upgrading an ability with a +X% Damage.

And Damage is not logically tied to any reported stat, ie. a character can have a lower Physical Damage stat than another but still do more Physical Damage. It's a non-reported stat that plays a big role that we can't account for.

Likely a multiplier for that skill based off of damage stats.
  • WhaleKiller1
    517 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Half the numbers are **** anyway. For instance Chewbacca's physical damage number is higher than HK-47, yet HK does 3-4 times the physical damage of Chewbacca.

The game is sloppily thrown together to make a quick buck. No sense in overly analyzing something that's simply a cluster **** that the devs probably don't even understand.
  • scuba
    14047 posts Member
    Your being silly. If I'm modding a toon, how do I know which stat is most effective??? An educated guess at best. Power is obviously worked out to show overall effectiveness of that character. Sure it may be beneficial to boost one aspect and lose in another but the best balance would be the one that gave the biggest gain in power or at least that is my theory.

If you want to max the "power" number of a character use all health mods with protection primaries. Health and protection seem to make largest difference in this number.
  • J0K3R
    2286 posts Member
    Half the numbers are **** anyway. For instance Chewbacca's physical damage number is higher than HK-47, yet HK does 3-4 times the physical damage of Chewbacca.

The game is sloppily thrown together to make a quick buck. No sense in overly analyzing something that's simply a cluster **** that the devs probably don't even understand.

This is nonesense. I looked deeply into the Defense stat and it's effect on armor % and was impressed. The complexity and forethought were surprising. Definitely not thrown together. While i didnt look into the stats responsible for damage, i will soon and expect similar results.
    May the force be with you. It shall free you.