Barriss

Brainstorm with me for a moment.

She has high health. High protection. And as what made her what she was at launch of the game, she has an unavoidable healing capability.

With it being a leveling mechanic, her standing next to Fun Sac, B2, Anakin... we're talking a full team refill, and even worse, putting those high health toons down to yellow or red, then having them go back to entirely full again.

Now, add mods. Damage mods? Speed? Health/Protection? She could, in theory, be tuned to be highly effective and a HUGE interruption, especially in PvP.

Thoughts? Anyone tried this yet? I feel she is so long forgotten that we are failing to look at a really effective toon in our roster.

Does anyone have a counter argument to a beefed up Barriss?

Replies

• Barriss has a very low damage. Even if your basic skill level is 8. The critics do not pass it 2,5k. But in my opinion, this is intentional. Barriss has the potential to provide sustainability for the whole team, especially if she is the leader. His healing skill is the best in the game, not to mention that she is absurdly tough.

But the truth is: This skill package is great for GW, which is a game mode that depends on sustainability. In the arena it does not work. The battle in arena lasts just a few minutes and the first/second rounds are crucial for victory. The fights simply do not last long enough so that a healer can make a difference. It is precisely why little by little healers were disappearing from the arena. On my server, there is only one team that uses Luminara as a leader because it is a team with 5 Jedis.

I had a recent experience fighting against this Jedi team that used Barriss. 37k power: Luminara (L), Yoda, Barriss, QGJ and Aayla. I destroyed them like a wrecking ball. Had 2 healers, so what? They died the same way.

In my view, the game has heroes who shine in the right places, not everywhere.
  • With protection, it made healing in arena less viable. Mainly since the first round, bariss is doing nothing since her attack is terrible and she has nothing to heal. You are also counting on having someone in yellow or red around long enough for bariss to heal ONCE. Matches will not last long enough for her to heal again. So she is good as cannon fodder and 1 heal and 3 or so bad attacks. she could work, but not at the expense of other more offensive toons
  • So would it be fair to say that no amount of mods would help her offense?
  • Probably not without suffering at the expense of less speed
  • Poxx
    2288 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Bariss is indeed handy and in a squad full of 4 other tanky ppl...Ani, Aayla, Kit, Ima...her heals on basic and on counter and her actual heal would b great but, here's the problem. If 1 of your players is being targeted, she's a life-saver. In an aoe meta...what we have now, she brings very little to the table.
  • I feel like it's the opposite. In an AOE meta (still not sure it's an AOE meta, https://swgoh.gg/meta-report/#all) your whole team gets smacked around through the first wave. So in my point, her equalize, plus an additional 15% goes back to each, basically erasing the second and more dangerous AOE wave from your opponent. Then, if omega'd, you can top off with defense up for 2 turns on everyone as well.

She hits soft, yes. So you're wasting a slot for someone who can do more damage but ultimately she would save your DPS whether she was cannon-fodder, or non-target, she either takes the hits like a tank or heals whoever did take those hits.

So my theory, is that if you maxed out Barriss, Omega her basic for 15% damage increase, and omega her heal for defense up, then pile her with offense mods with speed and/or health secondaries, she's viable all over again.

Doing some numbers, she still has one of the highest baseline healthpools out of all characters. Base is 24K with no mods. If she still has a protection line, her HP could equalize out a double-Lando salute, and an Anakin high-school shove. Almost as if they never happened. Now if she's modded to hit 34-36K HP, even better. The more I think about it, this may be key for those struggling with GW.

Again, I'm just bouncing around ideas here. This thread is meant for slight debates, off the wall ideas, or hate. It's all the same when figuring something out.

• Poxx
    2288 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    I used to struggle with GW, now I auto it...the entire thing...and it's due to Bariss.

My team:

Bariss (L) 6 health mods with as many health primary/secondary u can and omega lead.
    Lumi same mods
    Aayla
    Ani
    QGJ

Bariss lead gives each jedi a 3,600 passive heal at the start of each of their turns. Her basic heals everyone 45% of the time for 2,700. Lumi backs her up just fine and under Bariss lead and all the health I have on Lumi, the whole team is downright tanky and with offense up from Ani or QGJ, 4 of the 5 hit quite hard.

It used to frustrate the heck out of me that QGJ / Aayla would call Bariss to assist 90% of the time. Now, I use it to my advantage since she heals everyone for so much more on her basic since I modded her properly.

After struggling for so long, it's so nice to just hit the auto button 12x while enjoying a smoke and a cup of coffee. I just don't see her viable in the current state of Arena.
  • Bariss is an asset in GW and Yoda event but I don't think she's a must in GW. Never really used mine, you'll still be fine with Lumi and Daka as healers in GW. Palpatine can heal himself as well.
  • Poxx
    2288 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Noone is "a must", but some characters and synergies can definitely sway the balance. The true test of an arena team or GW team is how does it behave on auto. I have a decent roster, a couple p2p toons, never been able to come close to auto'ing GW in its entirety without my afore-mentioned set-up. Everyone plays their part but Bariss is the key.
  • She just stands around waiting on a chance to heal someone. Doesn't really do anything. If used as leader, she gets a ton of passive healing. But even then, I'm not sure she brings enough to the table for an arena team.
  • Pretty much ditto what everyone says on here. She's gotten me through GW everyday as my leader (up until the last battle where I bring the big guns). I've thought about bringing her on in a tank formation for arena but I have too much fun with my attackers to try a slow low damage tank team. It's just boring but probably a good defense.
  • Has anyone attempted to put offense mods on her though? If her basic could potentially pull off a 5K-6K per hit, wouldn't that be as effective as anyone else for that position?
  • K_G0sling wrote: »
    Has anyone attempted to put offense mods on her though? If her basic could potentially pull off a 5K-6K per hit, wouldn't that be as effective as anyone else for that position?

I doubt it. The main feature of Barriss is the sustainability of the team, so it benefits more health mods. If you change it for offense, it will have a less efficient cure and its damage will still be mediocre.
  • K_G0sling wrote: »
    Has anyone attempted to put offense mods on her though? If her basic could potentially pull off a 5K-6K per hit, wouldn't that be as effective as anyone else for that position?

I doubt it. The main feature of Barriss is the sustainability of the team, so it benefits more health mods. If you change it for offense, it will have a less efficient cure and its damage will still be mediocre.

Well her health and the health of others, not solely her health since she equalizes. When the game launched, there was nobody with a HP to the like of B2, Sun Fac, Old Ben, etc. Time has passed, and now other toons have massive healthlines that chip into the equalization affect significantly. I have a feeling if you put her in for speed and offense mods, she could once again change the game. I've got three more toons I need to max before I have some experimentation time and hopefully if I get to it, I'll update this thread on some results.
  • Her defense up on heal I believe only applies to herself. Not the whole team.
  • if that's the case that sucks. Heal everyone but only she gets defense up :/ of course then again it seems like most jedi gain defense up lol.
  • I have seen her in 1 very successful arena team since the switch to protection... Teebo lead, barris and Daka, Rey....forgot the other, but it doesn't really matter...it was that Teebo leader invisibility nonsense, especially with Daka and barriss was silly hard to kill.
  • What if your enemy have palp? He shocks and target can't receive health. Barriss just ignore healing immunity. Correct me if I'm wrong here.
    Rrraarrwhhgwwr - Chewbacca (The Empire Strikes Back)
  • dough
    641 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    K_G0sling wrote: »
    So would it be fair to say that no amount of mods would help her offense?

i've got her equipped with added Offense and Potency (via Health and Speed mods) and when buffed she will hit for more than 4k (did the same with Old Ben and he's up to 6-7k)... while that's not saying very much, it's more than double of her usual damage... still wouldn't use her on my Arena team but she's good in a pinch for GW... healers kinda got left behind the last two meta shifts but she has some value still, to me at least.
  • Does she bypass Palpatine's shocks? I'm assuming yes because of the healing mechanic not being a buff, same as before when she was known to push past the heal block. Anyone tried a heal through a shocked team?
  • darkensoul wrote: »
    Her defense up on heal I believe only applies to herself. Not the whole team.

correct... Force Heal when Omega'd gives Defense Up for two turns.
  • @K_G0sling Barris used to be very good in the initial days, but later with advent of Protection and now Mods, she is losing her charm. There are few issues that make her not so attractive in arena.
    1. Barris heals works as she first bring all the toon to a same baseline and then heals up a little. This will work good in condition where, ST Han taunts, entire opposition attacks him, and she brings he back to his glory back. With AOE attack like Anakin/ Lando, there is not going to be that much leveling as everyone will be in low health. Lumi will be much more effective in this case.
    2. Adding mods is very trickly, as you have to see how you want to use her. Health mods are very good, more health Barris has, mode she gives to the team. But then she is dam slow and low attack, making your team itself venerable.
    3. If you add speed and cric mode, you are going to lose on health, which is her basic purpose.

I think she needs a bit of balancing, getting her basic attack and speed increase. Since she is the only one who can health the team through EP shock.
  • The sticky place they've put me in this, is there's only 6 slots and both offense and speed require sets of 4 for their bonus.

I'm leaning toward offense/speed as secondaries since realistically a 10% speed bump on 100 is only a +10 which can be achieved through secondaries on the right mods.

Health or defense mods with primary health percentage increase seem to be the right road I think for my experiment.

This should be interesting. Thank you by the way, to everyone and their valid input. It's nice to have a productive thread.