Can Darth Maul be made relevant?

Prev1345
With the introduction of mods, and the even newer introduction of Palpatine, things have been looking good for Star Wars' real heroes: the Sith. However, can this bring about the use of the glassiest of the glass cannons?

Imo, one of the few things EA messed up about this game was Darth Maul, DM for short. One of the longest surviving badasses in lore, it should have been a duty to EA out of honor (if not, then money, because let's be real here, Maul makes money.) to give him some use, or at least make him farmable, just if only to have him be your bench warmer. But can he be saved? Allow me to explain (AKA throw numbers around to make me look like an smrt).

One of DM's major problems was his health. Even at his max everything, he holds a mere 9883 HP. But with the right buffs, he has plenty.

Now take a look at Palpatine's leader ability. It gives Empire and Sith alike +32% HP (and potency, but that is irrelevant in my claim I'm trying to prove).

Then take a look at mods. Even the weakest mods for health, when maxed, give +15% HP, and that is leaving out a few added percentages that could come with the individual mods, not just the set bonus.

Now for the real number tossing part. 32% of 9883 is 3162.56. 15% of 9883 is 1482.45. Those two percentages added to DM's max hp results in 14528. If you don't believe that's much, allow me to compare. Maxed ST Han has merely less than one thousand HP more, and depending on your individual health mods, the added one to five percent along with it should seal the deal, making Maul as strong as one of EAs best tanks.

You're probably getting ready to type right now, "that takes care of HP, but what about damage?" In which case, I'm glad I/you asked.

You see, his maxed basic attack does 4655 damage, at the very least. However, when given Offense Up (which someone can either give him, or he can give himself when he kills a character), it raises his damage by 2327. The total equals out to 6982, which tops even the character with the highest basic damage in the game, and yes, even beats Rey's. Not to mention, there is still a crit factor to be worked in, which means there is only pain to be brought, ESPECIALLY if you're trying to get rid of a pesky Anikin, Qui-Gon or Yoda, since he deals double damage to Jedi.

Finally, there's the turn meter problem. Unfortunately, by using the health mods and Leader ability of EP, not much can be done about his speed, unless you pack fast with Speed Ups. However, this is not to say he is still not fast and deadly.

You see, on his basic, for those unaware, he receives 100% turn meter for each kill he gets. So, while you might have to set it up, DM could potentially get two hits in one each time, combining the annoyance of Dooku's multi-attacks with the HP of ST Han.

In conclusion, as you can tell, I am a huge fan of DM, both in game and in lore, which is why I've tried to make this guide explaining how you can potentially set him up without having to necessarily revolve your team around him.

If you guys can, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this below, maybe if this thread gets enough attention EA will redo Maul and make him better/farmable, haha.

Replies

• nah
  • nah

Nah? What do you mean Nah?
  • Yes. I'm just not sure how it should be done.
  • Yes. I'm just not sure how it should be done.

What do you mean by "it?"
  • nah

It's this simple: He's SLOW! Not even the best speed mods will make Maul relevant. By the time it's his turn he can easily be 1 shotted by most every decent toon in the game. He needs to be buffed by EA, plain and simple; Maul was never slow in lore.

He and my Siths do help me get thru the first 6 nodes of GW, tho. :)

SnakesOnAPlane
  • You created a thread explaining to us on how awesome Darth Maul is with all of the above setups. Then at the end, you ask EA for a rework? It was a good read until I saw your last paragraph.

Disclaimer: Darth Maul is also one of my all-time favorites
  • AimingForGaming
    334 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    You created a thread explaining to us on how awesome Darth Maul is with all of the above setups. Then at the end, you ask EA for a rework? It was a good read until I saw your last paragraph.

Disclaimer: Darth Maul is also one of my all-time favorites
    Lol, you actually think EAs going to listen to this thread? If you do, You're higher up in the clouds than I am. That was just niceties. I fully realize that's 1) Never going to happen and 2) Maul is old news, when you can just use Old and New trilogy characters. I'm FTP, my concerns/mild thoughts of good ideas don't matter. :smile:
  • TyGonJinn27
    381 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    @AimingForGaming

No I do not think EA is going to listen to this thread.
  • nah

It's this simple: He's SLOW! Not even the best speed mods will make Maul relevant. By the time it's his turn he can easily be 1 shotted by most every decent toon in the game. He needs to be buffed by EA, plain and simple; Maul was never slow in lore.

If speed is your game, he can be made fairly decent. He sits at max 94 speed. Each max speed set of two gives +10% speed. 30% of 94 = 28 (approx.). 28 + 94 = 122, which is four off of ST Han. Some people he beats in speed terms: Lando, Ackbar, Biggs and Luke, aka part of the Rebel Meta, aka the people Sith/Empire teams would clash against the most.
  • give him +40 speed in next update
  • Smapty
    1260 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    I'll be sincere and admit I didn't read all that... but honestly he's not as bad as most people make him out to be..

He should get some lovin for sure and definitely should be a stronger character but as is stands he's really not so bad...

Here's my honest feedback

He does nutso damage... Even more so vs Jedi... I've seen some crazy damage numbers from maul.. He can even hit Lando numbers! (Although only vs Jedi and only for one turn (and not repeatedly))

Full TM on kill? Yes please... Lays waste to any team with multiple Jedi... Maybe? Granted he needs some speed or a TM boost but once he gets going he can cause some problems if things go your way... Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't

Have you tried him as leader in a all Sith team?

I have... and while it can compete it's stil pretty lackluster compared to the teams people are using nowadays... Another pure RNG team that can either do amazing or fail miserably

He could use a reevaluation for sure and needs something to make him the character he should be given his rarity and popularity

• nah

If speed is your game, he can be made fairly decent. He sits at max 94 speed. Each max speed set of two gives +10% speed. 30% of 94 = 28 (approx.). 28 + 94 = 122, which is four off of ST Han. Some people he beats in speed terms: Lando, Ackbar, Biggs and Luke, aka part of the Rebel Meta, aka the people Sith/Empire teams would clash against the most.
    Error #1: speed mods require 4 to be effective
    Error #2: if you put the same mod set to other toon who has a higher base speed, hat toon will be viable either, maybe even more

• Your comparison of dm to st han wasnt really valid because you were comparing modded dm to unmodded sth, and you ignored protection. Moreover, putting health mods on dps isnt ideal anyway. Think about it: he's squishier, slower, and weaker-hitting than all the good dps toons. You can try to justify your investment in him, but the numbers dont lie
  • Having already tried this, with a fully maxed Maul in a Palpatine team, I can confirm that no amount/combination of mods will make him more effective than Wiggs, Lando, Anakin. There is therefore no reason to use him, other than GW for fun.

I believe he will get a rework, but most likely just before they make him FTP. They seem to like keeping most paid toons weak and them buffing them for FTP (Rex and B2 excluded).
  • I think a way he could is if his unquie was changed to give him a flat speed boost (normal speed is based on gear so couldn't just "increase his speed" and speed on a kill ex. Darth maul has +35 speed and gains 25 speed for each defeated enemy and potentially health as well ex. Maul also recovers 35% of his max health when an enemy is killed. But also and this is more a problem with his design is with the dual lightsaber and organic legs it means we're getting the phantom menace version and not the clone wars version where he really shined; he met his brother, teamed up with him and used deathwatch to recruit/take out other gangs (scoundrels ;)) and use them to take over mandalore, and further past that he worked what was left of the nightsisters and mother talzin being her son and all to try and take out sidious
  • Darthenstein
    1205 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Maul was never a slowpoke!

Just raise his Default Non-modded Speed with +30 or 40 and you'd see some changes in performance.
  • He needs a resurrection unique!
  • nah

You see, he means nah. As in... Nah
  • pchen3082 wrote: »
    nah

Error #1: speed mods require 4 to be effective
    Error #2: if you put the same mod set to other toon who has a higher base speed, hat toon will be viable either, maybe even more

Error #1: Not gonna lie, I didn't take a good enough look at that. I've never fiddled around with Speed Mods, mainly health and critical chance. Regardless, I should have taken a better peek, simply because I never even knew some relied on four to retain a set bonus.

Error #2: I didn't give the same mod set to another toon, simply because there's a diversity in plenty other mods besides health and speed. To list them off, Critical Chance, Critical Damage, Defense, Offense, Potency, and Tenacity.
  • Palanthian wrote: »
    Having already tried this, with a fully maxed Maul in a Palpatine team, I can confirm that no amount/combination of mods will make him more effective than Wiggs, Lando, Anakin. There is therefore no reason to use him, other than GW for fun.

I believe he will get a rework, but most likely just before they make him FTP. They seem to like keeping most paid toons weak and them buffing them for FTP (Rex and B2 excluded).

I never said he would be better than them. They have an AoE, especially Lando if he gets crits, that Darth Maul can't compete with. I simply said that he would be faster than them in combat.
  • AimingForGaming
    334 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Zombie961 wrote: »
    I think a way he could is if his unquie was changed to give him a flat speed boost (normal speed is based on gear so couldn't just "increase his speed" and speed on a kill ex. Darth maul has +35 speed and gains 25 speed for each defeated enemy and potentially health as well ex. Maul also recovers 35% of his max health when an enemy is killed. But also and this is more a problem with his design is with the dual lightsaber and organic legs it means we're getting the phantom menace version and not the clone wars version where he really shined; he met his brother, teamed up with him and used deathwatch to recruit/take out other gangs (scoundrels ;)) and use them to take over mandalore, and further past that he worked what was left of the nightsisters and mother talzin being her son and all to try and take out sidious

Maul actually does recover 25% Max Health after the third enemy dies, however it's with every successful hit, not when an enemy dies :smiley:

However I wouldn't hold my breath on a rework. After all, this is one thread of many... it's most likely going to drown out and never see that light of day that is even potential consideration :smile:
  • AimingForGaming
    334 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Your comparison of dm to st han wasnt really valid because you were comparing modded dm to unmodded sth, and you ignored protection. Moreover, putting health mods on dps isnt ideal anyway. Think about it: he's squishier, slower, and weaker-hitting than all the good dps toons. You can try to justify your investment in him, but the numbers dont lie

1) I compared him to unmodded STHan simply because there's a diversity in plenty other mods besides health and speed. To list them off, Critical Chance, Critical Damage, Defense, Offense, Potency, and Tenacity.

2) I did ignore protection, mb. Maul has 8659 Protection.

3) You can get rid of the squishy problem by either giving him a Health Up, or adding health mods. You can get rid of the speed problem by either giving him a Speed Up, or by adding speed mods. He hits (and crits) for more on his basic than Rey and Leia do. https://swgoh.gg/characters/stats/#2

4) I do not have Darth Maul. I am FTP, and I do not make nearly enough crystals to justify that kind of reckless spending.
  • Auricius wrote: »
    He needs a resurrection unique!

That would be pretty cool, I'll admit :smile:
  • nah

You see, he means nah. As in... Nah

Oh, I got it now. Thanks bro. lol
  • getting TM for a kill off his AOE and not only his basic would be logical and helpful
  • AimingForGaming
    334 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    getting TM for a kill off his AOE and not only his basic would be logical and helpful

Indeed it would, but we can either use what's available to make him decent, or whine about a reform for Maul, since EA doesn't actually care about our concerns so long as people give them money :smile:
  • AimingForGaming
    334 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    SpySinger wrote: »

You already posted that mate :D

But, at least it proves the worth of DM. TY for the further evidence.
  • djvita
    1684 posts Member
    Maul should have about 90 more speed, and 50% more health+protection
    look a tthis fanfilm to get what he should be
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djo_91jN3Pk
    fast and agile