Why do people call them "toons"?

Not a big deal and doesn't bother me but just wondering. The characters don't seem particularly cartoon like to me. Whenever I come on this board it gets me thinking about Roger Rabbit.

Replies

• Ikr
  • could be short for cartoon character but I go back to everquest the original and I called them toons back then. its shorter than saying character or player character. They are animated and most of them are cartoon characters based in the star wars universe.....
    Ingame name Daremo
    Player Ally Code: 631-533-975
  • I kind of think it's a good thing to remind each other that we are playing with Star Wars cartoons. Sometimes people tend to take this WAY too serious. :D

.. And like the above poster mentioned, calling your charecters "toons" has been around for a very long time.
  • I call them 'heroes'. It is a galaxy full of heroes after all.
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • Dario
    326 posts Member
    I call them 'heroes'. It is a galaxy full of heroes after all.

I call them toons but this seems more appropriate lol.
  • Pilot
    470 posts Member
    It is gaming slang for your heroes, and goes back to a time when game characters were 8-bit and very cartoon like. Its a non-specific term universal to gaming in general.
    "There is no 'try'." - Master Yoda
  • I guess even toons like Greedo and Ugnaught would be a hero to someone;) I'm going to start calling them "goons" as a hybrid of galaxy and toons.
  • Thank you all for the education lesson!
  • It's easier to type and is silly :)
  • I call them toons coming from SWTOR mmo.
    Ally Code: 253-747-318
  • I also played the first mmo online games, Everquest being one of the older ones, and it was mats for materials, mobs for monsters and toons for characters. The reason why typing related, no teamspeak or vent, no skype just typing. Typing mid fight you need to truncate the conversation to avoid the wipe lol.
  • Toon is what mmo players generally call their different characters.
  • Toon char avi, same thang
  • Yeah, I go back to ultima online and use toons a lot. Characters is too long. Are you Brithish or US, is it heros or heroes.... Toon is just easier....lol
    It's a hard life pickin stones and pullin teats, but sure as gods got sandals, it beats fighting dudes with treasure trails....
  • I have no idea. I picked it up playing WoW years and years ago.http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=toon

It's pretty clear no one know. People just stared calling em toons.
  • I call them 'heroes'. It is a galaxy full of heroes after all.

I call them heroes as well but I did say "toon" back in the EQ/early WoW days.
  • I call 'em toons because it reminds me of Ender's Game (the book, not the movie). I literally found the book in the middle of the road and picked it up and started reading it. I was in third grade at the time mind you. Toons are what they call squads in the battle room, and I get a bit of nostalgia by calling my character a toon. It also makes them feel like a part of something to me, rather than just being some lonely hero in the middle of nowhere.
  • Heroes, toons, or champs
  • Jugilismaani
    64 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    -
    Post edited by Jugilismaani on
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member
    It's an old school mmo term.
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    I sometimes call them "cards". A little damaged after two years of intensive hardcore playing of Star Wars: Force Collection card game...
  • Being quite old and being a gamer since computers were invented...

It started with World of Warcraft beta. Other games (particularly MMOs) were striving for 'realism' in their look/feel whereas WoW decided to just go all in on an animated style.

When we all jumped in the beta from other games we had played we were like 'It looks like a cartoon.' So, we started calling them 'toons'. Turned out it was a catchy, easy to type, easy to say, broad referencing terminology that met all the needs of players looking to describe their avatars without having to dissect based on genre or game, etc. It stuck.

I can't help it now. I even try sometimes to not use it, but, it's too darn easy to use!
  • Not a big deal and doesn't bother me but just wondering. The characters don't seem particularly cartoon like to me. Whenever I come on this board it gets me thinking about Roger Rabbit.

"My uncle had a problem with his probate...he gad to take these biiiig pills and drink lots of water." lol
    Ally Code: 945-699-762
This discussion has been closed.