Price of gems quadrupled!

13Next

Replies

• leef wrote: »
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    leef wrote: »
    xReDeMpx wrote: »
    Clearly no one ever takes cost of living into fruition then again people really don't use their heads now a days

The US dollar is the global invoice currency. It would only make sense for EA/CG to denominate the dollar to all currencies. A mobile-game is not a factor towards cost of living, regardless of wherever you may live. If you can't afford to pay the price for something that is completely optional in a ftp game, then simply don't buy it.

On what do you think ea/cg based the price of crystals?

I believe they based the price of crystals on the US dollar. I know I didn't explicitly state that, but if you read what I posted you shouldn't of had a problem figuring it out. Also EA is listed as an American Developer and is headquartered in California, US. It's not a crime to make assumptions here and there.

I'm sorry if i wasnt clear enough. I meant to ask how they determine what crystals costs, not what currency they use. I think it's fair to assume they looked at what the average person is able to spend on non-essential things. They wouldnt sell anything if the price of 15710 crystals is about a months worth of pay for an average person (in the US).
    So it would make sence that in a country, with drastically lower wages, they would adjust the price, just to have the same target demograhpic as in the US.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_average_wage
    In a country like Isreal (see link above) spending $580,- on this game is ~2% of their average anual income, where that same $580,- is only ~1% of an average anual income in the US. So one could argue that crystals are twice as expensive in isreal if they cost the same as in the US. Fair or not, ea/cg their pricing strategy will probably not be as effective in low income countries, simply because people, even the ones with good jobs, will not be able to afford it. That is if the price of gems is the same world wide.
    From what I understand ea/cg actually had lower prices in lower income countries, but due to people abusing/exploiting they are currently changing that into a uniform price for the whole world. For what it's worth, i can totally understand the OP in thinking the price increases are outragious.
    What do you think is more unfair? Having lower prices in low income countries, or low income countries having to spend a way larger percentage of their income for the same crystals?

The problem is that people from wealthier countries are setting up accounts as if they were people on the poorer countries you mention. Thus taking advantage of what would be a fair system.

I mentioned that in 2nd to last paragraph. I totally understand the change, but it's still a mayor bummer for the people from those countries. Just calling them whiners or stating that it's fair is wrong imo.

Well, I guess on that point we'll have to agree to disagree. I don't think it's "ideal" - but it's the "fair"est it can be in a world where people are always looking to beat the system or exploit economic loopholes.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Clearly no one ever takes cost of living into fruition then again people really don't use their heads now a days

The US dollar is the global invoice currency. It would only make sense for EA/CG to denominate the dollar to all currencies. A mobile-game is not a factor towards cost of living, regardless of wherever you may live. If you can't afford to pay the price for something that is completely optional in a ftp game, then simply don't buy it.

I believe they based the price of crystals on the US dollar. I know I didn't explicitly state that, but if you read what I posted you shouldn't of had a problem figuring it out. Also EA is listed as an American Developer and is headquartered in California, US. It's not a crime to make assumptions here and there.

I'm sorry if i wasnt clear enough. I meant to ask how they determine what crystals costs, not what currency they use. I think it's fair to assume they looked at what the average person is able to spend on non-essential things. They wouldnt sell anything if the price of 15710 crystals is about a months worth of pay for an average person (in the US).
    So it would make sence that in a country, with drastically lower wages, they would adjust the price, just to have the same target demograhpic as in the US.
    In a country like Isreal (see link above) spending $580,- on this game is ~2% of their average anual income, where that same $580,- is only ~1% of an average anual income in the US. So one could argue that crystals are twice as expensive in isreal if they cost the same as in the US. Fair or not, ea/cg their pricing strategy will probably not be as effective in low income countries, simply because people, even the ones with good jobs, will not be able to afford it. That is if the price of gems is the same world wide.
    From what I understand ea/cg actually had lower prices in lower income countries, but due to people abusing/exploiting they are currently changing that into a uniform price for the whole world. For what it's worth, i can totally understand the OP in thinking the price increases are outragious.
    What do you think is more unfair? Having lower prices in low income countries, or low income countries having to spend a way larger percentage of their income for the same crystals?

The problem is that people from wealthier countries are setting up accounts as if they were people on the poorer countries you mention. Thus taking advantage of what would be a fair system.

I mentioned that in 2nd to last paragraph. I totally understand the change, but it's still a mayor bummer for the people from those countries. Just calling them whiners or stating that it's fair is wrong imo.

Well, I guess on that point we'll have to agree to disagree. I don't think it's "ideal" - but it's the "fair"est it can be in a world where people are always looking to beat the system or exploit economic loopholes.

I actually think we are in agreement. I only wanted to point out that i think it's shortsighted to call people in the same situation as the OP whiners, or that it's only fair that he should pay the same amount as everyone else. The sollution (equal prices for everyone) is probably the "fairest" if you look at the big picture, but that doesn't necessarely make it fair for all players involved individually. They OP now has to pay relatively more because us wealthy players couldnt help ourselfes and started exploiting. Best sollution? probably. Fair for everyone? not really.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • tRRRey wrote: »
    Similar thing happened down here in Brazil back in June.

Vault was 59,99BRL and suddenly they raised 3x to 199,99BRL

And I don't care how much US players are paying in dollars. 99 for you should be 99 for us in our currency.

@DarthZannaH that's not how currency exchange rates work buddy
    You should have to pay the equivalent of 99 dollars for the same product.
    Why should I be punished for living in the United States of America and using the American dollar?

@tRRRey: Are you being punished by living in US?

Btw, I'm not starting this discussion again, already did it on reddit and 100 us trolls came to blame me by living in a "small" country. Have a great day sir!
    Do or do not...
  • tRRRey wrote: »

And I don't care how much US players are paying in dollars. 99 for you should be 99 for us in our currency.

Why should I be punished for living in the United States of America and using the American dollar?

Btw, I'm not starting this discussion again, already did it on reddit and 100 us trolls came to blame me by living in a "small" country. Have a great day sir!

The trolls' arguments are weak. But the argument that a company should have to cater based on income is also weak.

SnakesOnAPlane
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    tRRRey wrote: »

But the argument that a company should have to cater based on income is also weak.

they don't have to. They did because it made them more money, until recently apparantly because they changed the prices in Brazil and the Ukraine. Like mentioned before, they probably only changed it because it was exploited.
    Save water, drink champagne!

But the argument that a company should have to cater based on income is also weak.

they don't have to. They did because it made them more money, until recently apparantly because they changed the prices in Brazil and the Ukraine. Like mentioned before, they probably only changed it because it was exploited.

Exactly my point, they don't have to. It's a weak argument.
    SnakesOnAPlane
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited September 2016

Exactly my point, they don't have to. It's a weak argument.
    Trying to prevent people from taking unfair advantage of exploits is not a weak argument. From neither the company's perspective not many players'.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
  • I feel Americans should have free gems. The rest of the world should subsidize us since we have to go around everywhere spending money to keep the peace. It seems only fair.

I could support this. LOL
  • If it's not balanced people spoof their account to another country and deal with PayPal exchange rates and get $99 pack for $20
  • It happened in India too. In the beginning it was 2400 INR for the 15k odd crystals which roughly translates to less than 40 USD. At the same time my guild mates from US used to pay 100 USD for the same pack. After a couple of months it's changed and now its 6200 INR for the same pack. I suppose EA just wanted Indians to start spending on the game and once they started and got addicted to it, they bumped up the prices.
  • MuddiZabi wrote: »
    It happened in India too. In the beginning it was 2400 INR for the 15k odd crystals which roughly translates to less than 40 USD. At the same time my guild mates from US used to pay 100 USD for the same pack. After a couple of months it's changed and now its 6200 INR for the same pack. I suppose EA just wanted Indians to start spending on the game and once they started and got addicted to it, they bumped up the prices.

Read the post directly above yours. That's the real reason they bump prices.

• Pacdiggity wrote: »
    Prices should be equivalent worldwide, regardless of your country or currency

Strong disagreement to that. Making things all US prices makes them unobtainable to anyone in a country that the US exploits for its wealth in the first place. I'm going out on a limb and saying this comment was left by someone in the US or equivalently wealthy country. If the living wage in Vietnam, for example, is 1/4 of what it is in the US, then the devs should totally charge 1/4 of the price for its (imaginary) goods. That is EQUITABLE. It gives everyone access, and from the devs perspective, is probably more likely to maximize their profit more anyway.

Since the US barely makes #10 on the list of wealthiest nations (GDP, per capita), you're coming across as a bigoted, uneducated dolt. But I suppose that that's your prerogative to do so.

I understand your argument. The problem is that it's stemming off the idea of this game being essential to live. In other words, "cost of living". We can consider games (like this one) as a luxury item. Just like all luxury items, we want them but we simply do not need them.

To make it a little easier to understand. Let's compare crystals to actual gold. Why compare them together? They are both considered a luxury item and are sold on a market. Again, I can't stress this enough. A luxury item is not something we need to physical keep us alive. It does not fall under the category of food and water.

That being said, why should people in Ukraine pay .25 on the dollar for the same chunk of gold (in this case crystals) we are buying in the US? It does not make sense. EA is fixing a problem that should of never existed. Denominate all currencies on the US dollar.

@leef
  • Im pretty sure the concept of dumping is still being taught in the US.

They are changing it simply because they are unable to segment the market for android like iOS can. Of course it makes sense to charge countries with lower living wages a lower price; most MNCs do it. Some of something is better than all of nothing.

• And I don't care how much US players are paying in dollars. 99 for you should be 99 for us in our currency.

99 pesos for vault!
  • I feel Americans should have free gems. The rest of the world should subsidize us since we have to go around everywhere spending money to keep the peace. It seems only fair.

I like that... Free gems for every day where there is peace everywhere in the world! Wait, this is the case already!
    ☮ Consular ☮ - https://swgoh.gg/u/tiggus/
  • jackTHErandom
    1195 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    I know for a fact there are people in the US that change their Google wallet account to Ukraine just to get cheaper gems, they have been doing this for months. Some of these people are in very high guilds. Brazil had low rates til they changed them a few months ago too.

Aint that easy... To get this going you need to have a credit card in that specific country or local google play vouchers!

You cant buy crystals in ukrainian store with an US credit card/US play store vouchers
  • I know for a fact there are people in the US that change their Google wallet account to Ukraine just to get cheaper gems, they have been doing this for months. Some of these people are in very high guilds. Brazil had low rates til they changed them a few months ago too.

Aint that easy... To get this going you need to have a credit card in that specific country or local google play vouchers!

You cant buy crystals in ukrainian store with an US credit card/US play store vouchers

The assumption that US players are the only ones that exploit is funny....and completely incorrect.

• Danubiss wrote: »
    I'd like to correct my previous post. The top crystal purchase is $319.99 in Australia. It's absurd.
    Ummm what state are u in 'cos in Victoria Australia the top crystals are $159.99Au for 15,710 crystals. The 2800 "most popular" pack is $30.99.

• Daryth wrote: »
    If it's not balanced people spoof their account to another country and deal with PayPal exchange rates and get $99 pack for $20
    And just out of curiosity, how would someone do that??? :)

• DJJ
    367 posts Member
    I'd totally create a new account for 99 peso vaults. Mexico isn't that far away from me. I'd have every character for like $20