We got there: Holding rank in Arena.

Before the Mods, I could climb my way up to top rank in Arena any day I wanted to (if I had refreshes and time): beating the team at #1 was no harder than beating the one at #50. I would typically win 4/5 matches. And play a lot, watch my payout time, refresh almost every day etc.
And people would complain teams can't defend and hold rank.

Today the situation is quite different, and our Arena shard is much more static than it used to be, it has become as layered as a tiramisu cake:
  1. At the bottom, the biscuit: Guys who don't have Palpatine can play with each other, and most likely lose against the ones who have him
  2. Then, the cream: Guys who have Palpatine can cut through the ones above like an electric knife in butter, then play with each other
  3. Then the sprinkled chocolate flakes (or raspberry, cherry,...), Guys who have a very fast Palpatine (or Poe/Han/Phasma/whoever else takes first ball, set and match) sit there at the top, mostly unchallenged from anyone else not in their layer.

I am in the "cream": I win 100% of my battles against the "biscuit" guys, win 80% against the other "cream" guys, and lose 95% against the "cherry" ones. That means that my Arena life is now happening between ranks 10 (5 or better on a lucky day) and 20-30. From say 30, I climb back without resistance (like I win with taking one or two hits only) until 10-ish, then I start losing in the same spectacular manner (I'm not even close to scrap one single guys' protection).

So welcome to a new world where teams do defend well and hold rank.

In a way I don't complain: it makes my life easier, I don't need to refresh anymore and it cuts down the time I spend playing Arena by half. No problem with sniping either.

☮ Consular ☮ - https://swgoh.gg/u/tiggus/

Replies

• Man you make arena sound delicious af.
  • May I have a slice of arena?
  • Wait a second. Are you calling me a sprinkle off a cupcake?
  • Don't dish my Rex! No Han, Poe or EP (I don't use them) . Hot knife to no 1! Nice analogies though, guildie!
  • Oooohwee. Waiting for marcusfive to read this followed up with a post demanding the nerf of sprinkles.
  • Palpatine and a super speed taunter does make every single battle on offense super easy... Even the Rex lead opponents I still beat. Lando make it rain on em. Counter attackers don't do anything. I personally want more defensive leader abilities. Like maybe give yoda a new lead ability. - Reduce the enemies offense by 15 percent or somethin.
  • Man you make arena sound delicious af.

I was about to go to bed.
    Now? Cake.
    **** you, OP! LoL
  • Palpatine and a super speed taunter does make every single battle on offense super easy... Even the Rex lead opponents I still beat. Lando make it rain on em. Counter attackers don't do anything. I personally want more defensive leader abilities. Like maybe give yoda a new lead ability. - Reduce the enemies offense by 15 percent or somethin.

Or you know fix Yoda's AI so it does BM first
    https://swgoh.gg/u/trey 66/
    Make Zader Great Again!
  • tRRRey wrote: »
    Palpatine and a super speed taunter does make every single battle on offense super easy... Even the Rex lead opponents I still beat. Lando make it rain on em. Counter attackers don't do anything. I personally want more defensive leader abilities. Like maybe give yoda a new lead ability. - Reduce the enemies offense by 15 percent or somethin.

Ooohwee. Everytime I see someone refer to yoda's skill that way, I always imagine the little green guy sitting up on a toilet. But yeah, they do need to fix his ai with that as well as Rex's in the same manner.
  • tRRRey wrote: »
    Palpatine and a super speed taunter does make every single battle on offense super easy... Even the Rex lead opponents I still beat. Lando make it rain on em. Counter attackers don't do anything. I personally want more defensive leader abilities. Like maybe give yoda a new lead ability. - Reduce the enemies offense by 15 percent or somethin.

Ooohwee. Everytime I see someone refer to yoda's skill that way, I always imagine the little green guy sitting up on a toilet. But yeah, they do need to fix his ai with that as well as Rex's in the same manner.

If they fixed Rex in the same manner, I know who the nerf cries would be for next :smile:
    https://swgoh.gg/u/trey 66/
    Make Zader Great Again!
  • There just is no way around rex (and Potentially Yoda) with palp.
    Three rounds of no negative status effects to stick even if you have three 90%+ potency charakters? Rex does not give 50 or 75% tenacity, he gives guaranteed immunity to buffs for 3 rounds: rancor team.
    And they cry about palp beeing op.
  • vilvlugt wrote: »
    There just is no way around rex (and Potentially Yoda) with palp.
    Three rounds of no negative status effects to stick even if you have three 90%+ potency charakters? Rex does not give 50 or 75% tenacity, he gives guaranteed immunity to buffs for 3 rounds: rancor team.
    I've lost maybe 3 matches on offense since Palpatine came out. Yoda is complete garbage and needs a buff. And Rex as amazing is he is, will still lose to palpatine, very easily. Tenacity up buff scares no one, this is a 5v5 not 1v1. You can easily stun Rex before he takes a move. You can easily kill Rex before he takes a move.
  • vilvlugt wrote: »
    There just is no way around rex (and Potentially Yoda) with palp.
    I've lost maybe 3 matches on offense since Palpatine came out. Yoda is complete garbage and needs a buff. And Rex as amazing is he is, will still lose to palpatine, very easily. Tenacity up buff scares no one, this is a 5v5 not 1v1. You can easily stun Rex before he takes a move. You can easily kill Rex before he takes a move.

Well, yeah: Palp is not op, good that we agree.
  • Poxx
    2288 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Palp is slow. Tell me how u get around this plz..

Rex (L) 230 speed
    Echo 210 speed
    CS 188 speed
    Ani 254 speed
    Poe 256 speed.

U can't make Han or EP fast enough. Poe w/ 55% potency strips tm well enough and exposes a few. Ani aoe nukes, gives offense up and if your opponent gets a turn, it gives CS enough tm to aoe and strip your team of 50% tm. Echo will rip down any taunt/buffs the opponent puts up.

The sheer tm gain and tm reduction from speed Poe, CS aoe and basic, Rex lead and basic, Echo basic and assist shuts down Dangerzone, Droids, the old metas and....most of the time EP. Why u ask? If Ani gets exposed or countered and debuffed, Rex pops his buff.

Those of u that have read my posts, know i dont brag or talk smack and I know it's the speed secondaries that r making it work this well, but I don't see a viable way to beat this team now unless u run a faster Poe or get lucky w/ Ani not getting exposed or countered/debuffed and even then, u need some good RNG w/ EP.

I am interested in your ideas on ways to potentially stop this team.
  • EscapeArtist51
    1675 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Poxx wrote: »
    Palp is slow. Tell me how u get around this plz..

Rex (L) 230 speed
    Echo 210 speed
    CS 188 speed
    Ani 254 speed
    Poe 256 speed.

U can't make Han or EP fast enough. Poe w/ 55% potency strips tm well enough and exposes a few. Ani aoe nukes, gives offense up and if your opponent gets a turn, it gives CS enough tm to aoe and strip your team of 50% tm. Echo will rip down any taunt/buffs the opponent puts up.

The sheer tm gain and tm reduction from speed Poe, CS aoe and basic, Rex lead and basic, Echo basic and assist shuts down Dangerzone, Droids, the old metas and....most of the time EP. Why u ask? If Ani gets exposed or countered and debuffed, Rex pops his buff.

Those of u that have read my posts, know i dont brag or talk smack and I know it's the speed secondaries that r making it work this well, but I don't see a viable way to beat this team now unless u run a faster Poe or get lucky w/ Ani not getting exposed or countered/debuffed and even then, u need some good RNG w/ EP.

I am interested in your ideas on ways to potentially stop this team.
    Well. I was gonna say, if anyone gets that many speed secondaries, they deserve to win. Because think about it lol. You just gave each of their toons over +80 speed. Including +112 on their Poe. And +110 on their Anakin. Do you know how insane it is for anyone to do that for an entire squad? They have to win the mod lottery like 9 or 10 different times. If anyone has that much speed on their toons, and they're not stoopid, they're not gonna lose man. *sigh* But I'm a contrarian bro. So I'm gonna suggest a dream team matchup that can help you beat it, provided you're a whale of course. If not, there's no beating it. The counters to speed meta are locked behind a paywall, Palpatine is not op and that team directly counters him actually, so no point in even trying with him, he's too squishy anyways.

To beat that team you need Rex lead first of all. Otherwise it's near impossible to do it because you won't ever get enough tm.

Rex lead. Anakin, Fives, Aayla, sun fac should be able to handle it. One aoe from your enemies Anakin launches 2 or 3 members at poe, hopefully dispelling his taunt with sun fac's basic. Not only will your team counter attack, they gain turn meter from Anakin, who will most likely get atleast 2 or 3 crits on his aoe. Once that happens most of your toons SHOULD, go before clone Sargent. Then after that, just play your battle and it's anyone's game tbh. Rex lead or Ima gun Di is your best shot at beating that.

If you're not a whale you could always try the poor man's version of that team.

Ima gun Di lead, Anakin, Aayla, Plo Koon, Fives.
    Sounds fun but it's really poo lol. Atleast there's a chance your entire team could counter every aoe tho right?
  • @Poxx what makes that team unique and successful are not its toons but its mods. Keep Poe @256 speed and put almost whoever behind with your mods and you have an equally winning team: Old Ben, Phasma, Palpatine, St. Han, maybe even IG88 or even Boba Fett, and some good killers. And as I said, it becomes a team that defends very well too, and will make and defend top-10 (True, without Palpatine. There are very few of these on my shard).
    ☮ Consular ☮ - https://swgoh.gg/u/tiggus/
  • I use palp but only occasionally. I have him maxed. I personally dont think the issue is with palp, but with the luck of the draw on mods and the mod shop.

I can beat palp if I had faster toons. Problem is many on my server have secondary speed to where there taunter (st Han) taunts so fast giving palp more turn meter. Or even secondary speed on palp or biggs or wedge or lando. If you don't have to mods you can't win

I have to use Akbar to combat this speed, and akbar gets I've shotted way to easily. I remember when he was good. :(

In today's arena you have to switch your team around based upon who you play. But again that's tough bc it's expensive to switch the few speed mods I have from character to character.

Availability and luck of mods is the issue. Jmo
  • Story of my life hehe