Advice needed - Last GW Node for today is giving me a ton of problems.

Prev1
The team is this:
Old Ben (gear 9)
Rey (third strongest - gear 10)
RG (gear 8)
STHan (second strongest - gear 11)
QGJ (strongest - gear 11)

The total team power there is 37429 - which is about 5-6k higher than the highest team I could field out there.

My droids are gone (wiped out from previous node - which just a hair less tough than this one).

My top characters to combat it:
Old Ben (gear 9)
GS (gear 10)
Yoda (gear 9)
Rey (gear 9)
Daka (gear 8)
Lumi (gear 8)
RG (gear 8)
Phasma (gear 8)
Savage (gear 8)
Lando (gear 8)
JC (gear 8)
Ahsoka (gear 8)

and the rest aren't really competitive or would be used.

I've tried to do this a few times and everytime I do either Han or RG procs and I'm pretty much SOL and get wiped (or almost - I obviously restart before the killing blow comes) before I've even taken a bite out of their protection.

My initial thought is to stun STHan with a Daka/RG combo - and then focus everything else on RG. Problem with that is that the Rey and the QGJ hit like a freakin' truck. Not sure what works.

Anyone with a strategy I can give a try to? or am I just SOL for this node?

Replies

• Without the fast hitting of the droids or characters that call assist attacks this could be impossible for you.

Generally against a team like that. I use one team to take out Rey first. You might be able to do that with a team of GS, Yoda, Rey, Ahsoka, and Phasma. Have Phasma lead. Retreat until you figure out how to take Rey out.

Then you need a squad to take out QGJ. He does not heal so use up all of your worthless characters and just target him. If STH taunts on the first turn, use your lowest level characters so he wastes his taunt.

After you have those two characters out focus on RG, then STH, and finish Old Ben last.
  • After you have those two characters out focus on RG, then STH, and finish Old Ben last.

Actually, if you can take out Ben first, they will lose their leader bonus, making them much easier to handle. That's typically what I do when faced with a team that is super difficult in GW.
  • StarSon wrote: »
    After you have those two characters out focus on RG, then STH, and finish Old Ben last.

Actually, if you can take out Ben first, they will lose their leader bonus, making them much easier to handle. That's typically what I do when faced with a team that is super difficult in GW.

I don't think that's how it works - losing a leader doesn't negate their bonus (I've lost mine and kept the bonus). Plus killing Old Ben makes those surviving enemy toons god-like for two rounds, that's a death sentence there.
    "Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen...mostly"
  • They don't lose their leader bonus when you take out the leader first.
  • never never take out old ben first, you are doomed if you do. like someone said go rey, qgj if you can get both out the others arent as big of a problem.
  • Broxxor wrote: »
    They don't lose their leader bonus when you take out the leader first.

They will if you completely take out that character and die.

I.E. if you kill ben, and then they wipe the rest of your squad, the new squad coming in wont have that leader ability.

I used that strat against an impossible droid team. I went in and suicided HK; the game chose IG-86 as the leader; which has no leadership ability and the rest of the droids were easy to mop up with a weak team.
  • Just managed to take out both QGJ and Rey with a Rey, Phasma, GS, Yoda, and B2 team.

Got about 50% of the protection off of RG.

I'll let you know if I can finish it. Thanks for the help and keep the ideas coming! :P
  • Bhaalor wrote: »
    Broxxor wrote: »

I.E. if you kill ben, and then they wipe the rest of your squad, the new squad coming in wont have that leader ability.

I used that strat against an impossible droid team. I went in and suicided HK; the game chose IG-86 as the leader; which has no leadership ability and the rest of the droids were easy to mop up with a weak team.

They don't.

I've had several last nodes where I needed another team to come in and "mop up". Phasma led teams would always still assist, Lumi teams would gain health, etc. They keep their team lead even after the team lead is gone and there's only 3-4 people left.
  • Bhaalor wrote: »

Well that's true but then you have to lose to do it. Might work if you put in some hard-hitting scrubs with the sole purpose for taking out Old Ben.
    "Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen...mostly"
  • StarSon
    7431 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Bhaalor wrote: »

They don't.

I've had several last nodes where I needed another team to come in and "mop up". Phasma led teams would always still assist, Lumi teams would gain health, etc. They keep their team lead even after the team lead is gone and there's only 3-4 people left.

They definitely do lose the leader bonus in GW if you kill the leader, die, and come back with a different team. As I said, I use the trick against fully maxxed OB teams all the time.

I cannot test today, but will confirm with screenshots tomorrow.
  • APX_919 wrote: »
    StarSon wrote: »

I don't think that's how it works - losing a leader doesn't negate their bonus (I've lost mine and kept the bonus). Plus killing Old Ben makes those surviving enemy toons god-like for two rounds, that's a death sentence there.

That's the idea. You kill OB, then you die, then your second team comes in and fights a team that gets no dodge bonus or TM gain.
  • They don't. I'm telling you, they don't. I fought a team of Phasma and 4 others yesterday as my last node. Killed everyone but Fives, Anakin, and RG. RG attacked and Anakin assisted. Fives did his normal and Anakin assisted.

They kept the leader ability.
  • With that said - the issue with this particular team isn't even the dodge bonus. Even if they were to lose the leader ability due to Ben - I'd have my hands full with the same problem with the rest of the team in the interim.

That said, taking out Old Ben (who has a monsterous amount of health) wouldn't be as doable I think.
    APX_919 wrote: »
    StarSon wrote: »

That's the idea. You kill OB, then you die, then your second team comes in and fights a team that gets no dodge bonus or TM gain.

I can confirm this. I have done it myself. When your squad is dead, and the next battle starts, the leadership ability only comes up as yours as the attacker. I have heard of others saying that this does not work. So it could be a bug that only works for certain individuals.
    Just managed to take out both QGJ and Rey with a Rey, Phasma, GS, Yoda, and B2 team.

Got about 50% of the protection off of RG.

I'll let you know if I can finish it. Thanks for the help and keep the ideas coming! :P

I think you could win from there. Old ben is not a heavy hitting person. RG's biggest thing is stunning, but he does not do a lot of damage. So I think you should be able to manage it.
  • You need to lead with your Old Ben. OB will debuff their Rey, and ability block their St Han and OB. You need to neutralize these three so you can get on with your plan of attack.

If you debuff Rey, you instantly cut her offense by 25%. If you hit her with Offense Down, you cut her offense by another 50%. Old Ben will do this for you. Then you ignore her for a little while. If you can slow her down, that would be nice, so bring Phasma or RG.

Your biggest problem here is St Han. Once he taunts, you're toast. So block him with OB, then start beating on him. You need big damage, so bring Rey. If you manage to knock him below 50%, RG will taunt; that's okay, just beat on him until St Han taunts.

When block wears off their OB, you need to stop him again. That means stun or block, so Daka or Lumi. Probably Daka.

You'll have to just ignore QGJ until you get rid of St Han, RG and Rey.
    • OB, Rey, Lando, RG, Daka: Mind Tricks to debuff Rey, work down St Han as quickly as possible, try to keep OB and Rey stunned. Object is to remove the tanks. Follow that up with
    • Phasma, GS, Savage, Ahsoka, Yoda: Crush Rey as quickly as possible, hopefully drop QGJ. Try not to let QGJ steal Advantage. Use Yoda to try to steal TM from OB to stop his Mind Tricks, if he's still got that.
    • Lumi, JC: Hopefully this will be enough to mop up their Old Ben.
    Good Luck
  • You need to lead with your Old Ben. OB will debuff their Rey, and ability block their St Han and OB. You need to neutralize these three so you can get on with your plan of attack.

If you debuff Rey, you instantly cut her offense by 25%. If you hit her with Offense Down, you cut her offense by another 50%. Old Ben will do this for you. Then you ignore her for a little while. If you can slow her down, that would be nice, so bring Phasma or RG.

Your biggest problem here is St Han. Once he taunts, you're toast. So block him with OB, then start beating on him. You need big damage, so bring Rey. If you manage to knock him below 50%, RG will taunt; that's okay, just beat on him until St Han taunts.

When block wears off their OB, you need to stop him again. That means stun or block, so Daka or Lumi. Probably Daka.

• OB, Rey, Lando, RG, Daka: Mind Tricks to debuff Rey, work down St Han as quickly as possible, try to keep OB and Rey stunned. Object is to remove the tanks. Follow that up with
    • Phasma, GS, Savage, Ahsoka, Yoda: Crush Rey as quickly as possible, hopefully drop QGJ. Try not to let QGJ steal Advantage. Use Yoda to try to steal TM from OB to stop his Mind Tricks, if he's still got that.
    Good Luck

Great advice. :) Thanks man.

I did it slightly differently - mainly because QGJ was hitting WAY too hard to be ignored.

I did your plan B - and managed to take out both QGJ and Rey. Now left to mop up with the tanks.
  • Wiping out Rey and QGJ took a few tries - came back after lunch and mopped up the tanks with ease.

Thanks guys. I wouldn't have approached it with the mindset of "everything after Rey regardless of her foresight" - but it worked :)
  • Caveat: This is going to be really tough if you don't have anyone that can dispel a taunt, most commonly your own QGJ or Teebo or perhaps even Ventress. Even these gimmicks may not work or would go much more easily with a dispeller. If you have QG is he is dead, you really need to keep him alive until the end in the future. If you don't he needs to be top priority in your cantina farming in the future.

Battle 1:
    I would send in a suicide squad (or 2, if necessary, but 1 is better) that can last long enough for opp to waste specials in this order of importance:

1. STH taunt,
    2. OB mind tricks,
    3. Rey Leverage
    4. Rey Flurry
    5. QG to waste his dispel.

If your suicide squad could get through at least the first three or four, you're probably in business. Try your best not to drag this out too long or use a 2nd squad if not absolutely necessary as this strategy already gives opp TM and if it goes for too long, some of the earlier specials, esp Rey might get close to resetting.

Battle 2:
    The objective is to Use a B squad to elminate Rey Protection, then weaken RG as much as possible.

I would try a B squad of
    1. Phasma L
    2. Ahsoka
    3. Savage
    4. JC
    5. Any other attacker not on the list? If you really don't have anyone else here you can try Lando, but I think it'd be better to save him to experiment with different A team combos.

Battle 3:
    Send in the A team. You may have to try different combos here.

A1 squad: Use Yoda to spread Rey's foresight to the rest of the team.
    1/2. Lando or Yoda L
    3. Rey
    4. RG
    5. GS

If this doesn't work, maybe a Lumi/Daka/RG combo to resurrect and heal. Or OB lead. You might want to play with different combos, which is why I didn't specifically identify a 5th for your B team above.
    You need to lead with your Old Ben. OB will debuff their Rey, and ability block their St Han and OB. You need to neutralize these three so you can get on with your plan of attack.

Good Luck

Great advice. :) Thanks man.

I did it slightly differently - mainly because QGJ was hitting WAY too hard to be ignored.

I did your plan B - and managed to take out both QGJ and Rey. Now left to mop up with the tanks.

Eh, there's definitely multiple ways to go, especially if those pesky dodges get in the way and force you to change up your squad. Taking out Rey is always a priority if you can do it before RG or St Han taunt. Glad you were able to beat it.
  • Problem is you don't have a dispeller for RG, I would try to send in some low level squads to just get sth to burn up his taunt then go with your strongest and focus on Rey then QGJ.

Your team could be Ben (L), Rey, daka, lumi, GS

Good mix of dps and heal/revive/stun. Daka to try and keep stuns and lumi to heal up if your dps get low. Ben lead to dodge.
    They don't. I'm telling you, they don't. I fought a team of Phasma and 4 others yesterday as my last node. Killed everyone but Fives, Anakin, and RG. RG attacked and Anakin assisted. Fives did his normal and Anakin assisted.

Enemy team:
    XiOSSJg.png

Leadership abilities:
    u8JfhT0.png

After I kill Sid:
    7G8FJcN.png

As you can see, after I kill him and go back in, no leader ability.
  • You might consider throwing a suicide squad at them first to get them to use their specials, then use your best squad to fight them. I had to do that a lot before I was able to develope my roster.

Just set a squad with 2 toons that are around 4* lvl 40 G5 and 3 toons that can be knocked over by a stiff breeze. Your team will survive long enough for the opponents to use their specials, but will die quickly enough to prevent their cool downs. Hope this helps.
    They don't. I'm telling you, they don't. I fought a team of Phasma and 4 others yesterday as my last node. Killed everyone but Fives, Anakin, and RG. RG attacked and Anakin assisted. Fives did his normal and Anakin assisted.

Enemy team:
    XiOSSJg.png

Leadership abilities:
    u8JfhT0.png

After I kill Sid:
    7G8FJcN.png

As you can see, after I kill him and go back in, no leader ability.

That's crazy (and very interesting).

It doesn't happen that way for me. I'll see if I can take some screenshots on today's GW.
  • Caveat: This is going to be really tough if you don't have anyone that can dispel a taunt, most commonly your own QGJ or Teebo or perhaps even Ventress. Even these gimmicks may not work or would go much more easily with a dispeller. If you have QG is he is dead, you really need to keep him alive until the end in the future. If you don't he needs to be top priority in your cantina farming in the future.

Battle 1:
    I would send in a suicide squad (or 2, if necessary, but 1 is better) that can last long enough for opp to waste specials in this order of importance:

1. STH taunt,
    2. OB mind tricks,
    3. Rey Leverage
    4. Rey Flurry

If your suicide squad could get through at least the first three or four, you're probably in business. Try your best not to drag this out too long or use a 2nd squad if not absolutely necessary as this strategy already gives opp TM and if it goes for too long, some of the earlier specials, esp Rey might get close to resetting.

Battle 2:
    The objective is to Use a B squad to elminate Rey Protection, then weaken RG as much as possible.

I would try a B squad of
    1. Phasma L
    2. Ahsoka
    3. Savage
    4. JC
    5. Any other attacker not on the list? If you really don't have anyone else here you can try Lando, but I think it'd be better to save him to experiment with different A team combos.

Battle 3:

1/2. Lando or Yoda L
    3. Rey
    4. RG
    5. GS

If this doesn't work, maybe a Lumi/Daka/RG combo to resurrect and heal. Or OB lead. You might want to play with different combos, which is why I didn't specifically identify a 5th for your B team above.

Lots of good stuff here. Thanks man.

QGJ is next on my farming list. Right now finishing off HRSc and then I'll get to him. I have QGJ - he's just like 3* and no gear or level.
    Caveat: This is going to be really tough if you don't have anyone that can dispel a taunt, most commonly your own QGJ or Teebo or perhaps even Ventress. Even these gimmicks may not work or would go much more easily with a dispeller. If you have QG is he is dead, you really need to keep him alive until the end in the future. If you don't he needs to be top priority in your cantina farming in the future.

Battle 1:

1. STH taunt,
    2. OB mind tricks,
    3. Rey Leverage
    4. Rey Flurry

Battle 2:

I would try a B squad of
    1. Phasma L
    2. Ahsoka
    3. Savage
    4. JC

Battle 3:

1/2. Lando or Yoda L
    3. Rey
    4. RG
    5. GS

Lots of good stuff here. Thanks man.

QGJ is next on my farming list. Right now finishing off HRSc and then I'll get to him. I have QGJ - he's just like 3* and no gear or level.

@Broxxor , I'm glad you found this useful and were able to pass the node. FWIW, I would still recommend that you pot HR Scout on hold and switch over to QG immediately. I don't think you'll be sorry. There are substitutes for Scout, but very few have a tool kit as wide and as useful as QG's. Dispel, Assist, TM reduction, heal, all in one toon. Great in all phases of the game: GW, Arena, Raids. This is not true of Scout.
  • quigonkenny
    240 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Good to see you succeeded, but one thing that might help in the future, which I've started to do, is do the first four nodes of the GW with four different, but legitimately useful teams. Maybe a Rebel team, and an Empire/Sith team (Palp lead, of course), Jedi team, maybe even a Jawa or Ewok team if they're legitimately leveled enough. Then on the fifth one, do your normal GW team until you can't.

The worst disadvantage you can get going into the final nodes is to be behind on turn meter from the start. It's a huge advantage for you, when you go into a battle having won the last one, as I'm sure you've noticed, but the same thing will work against you if you're wiped out when you try to go back in. Same thing happens to a different degree If you field an "all new to this GW" team in the last few nodes, particularly 9 and 12 (sometimes even 6), since those teams will almost always have Rey, and she will almost always go first. If you "prime" the turn meters for replacement teams, you can mitigate the TM disadvantage of going in off of a loss, since your TMs will not be starting from zero, and can sometimes avoid the "fast Rey" problem completely on fresh nodes. Even if your replacement teams are considerably weaker (as they usually are, or else you'd be using them), any amount of turn meter advantage can be huge.

You might also want to look into leveling up your Poggle if you have him. I'm assuming you do, since you have a Droid team, but if you can move him out (replacing him with JE is always a great option), he works surprisingly well with most non-chemistry teams, since DPS Up and Ability Block are pretty universally helpful. I always use him for my main GW team (Lumi, Phasma, GS, 86, Poggle), and STHan and the other active taunters don't usually give me a problem when they're Ability Blocked into oblivion via Lumi or Poggle. Getting by RG, as I'm sure you already know by the fact that you did, is most easily accomplished by killing your major targets (Rey, QGJ, Anakin, etc.) without letting them get into the yellow first. A maxxed GS, even at just G9, is ideal for that, since the first part of his assist attack will one-shot most enemy toons (non-tank) from 75% (safely in the green) consistently (as long as RG doesn't do his AoE defense). And even if that doesn't kill them, and RG is activated, the second part of the attack usually will, or will leave that target ripe for an AoE. I run into basically the same team you just mentioned a lot, and several times I've managed to wipe out Rey and QGJ without either STHan or RG managing to taunt first, usually due to the above strategy along with heavy Ability Blocking of those two by Poggle, which his Omega extends to two rounds, if you didn't already know.

They will for the next round.

The only problem I see is that it takes forever to kill off Ben. Meanwhile the rest of the toons are going to town on you. You have to take out Rey first and then Ben. Take away the dodge af the team becomes insanely easy.

OP, do any of those toons have TM already built in? Meaning, did you use any on any previous nodes?

It is not on the same round. You kill Phasma and then the rest of the team takes your team out. You then have go in with a different team to try again. The team does not have Phasma's leader ability. If the toon the AI puts in as leader had a leader ability then the team has that leader ability. Again, it does not keep Phasma's leader ability.
  • sying wrote: »

It is not on the same round. You kill Phasma and then the rest of the team takes your team out. You then have go in with a different team to try again. The team does not have Phasma's leader ability. If the toon the AI puts in as leader had a leader ability then the team has that leader ability. Again, it does not keep Phasma's leader ability.

I get that. What I'm saying is: I do a suicide squad against a Phasma lead team. Phasma is killed and - when I come back to play that team with my next squad - the AI Phasma team is still assisting.

I think this might be a bug - as I've heard a handful of other people say this happens to them as well.