Are Some Heroes OP?

13Next

Replies

• AdamW
    692 posts Member
    No
    Qeltar wrote: »
    Anyone who answers "no" to this has simply not come across the OP characters.

Mostly F2P here (I have spent $10 so far) and Ive had little issue when coming across teams with the characters you have mentioned. Sometimes it can be frustrating to fight better characters ( I have had my share of frustrations) but they all have flaws, if your team has good strategy and you play a good hand for the rock paper scissors part of the game then they wont be an issue.

However, I think there needs to be strong characters that become available late game. People need something to look forward to. If we nerfed late game hard farm characters then you sort of defeat a large purpose of playing the game..

Eventually soon everyone will be using the same cookie cutter character builds anyway, there will always be an OP character that everyone will want. You can either join the party or make a counter group. Ultimately enjoy the game.

Not meant to be offensive I enjoy your posts, this is just reality.
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    And yes op does mean unbeatable it means that character out preforms every other character in every way

Op means overpowered compared to the relative power of the rest of the game/class/mechanic. It does not mean unbeatable. It never has. Unbeatable means unbeatable.

Let's use WoW as an example: locks used to be op. Their ability to control fights using fear while applying multiple ranged dots made them op. They could still be beaten.... But their ability to control toons and apply damage was op. As a result they were later nerfed.

Sometimes mechanics rather than specific toons are op. Such as in Pre-CU SWG where combat medics could apply mind fire dots that were just ridiculous. DoTs in general were op. Everyone pvp'd with dot weapons. Unfortunately SOEs brilliant answer was to basically remove dots in the CU and shortly after that ruin the single greatest MMO ever made. GG Smedley.

The argument that people make in opposition of nerfing op toons has always amused me. "People won't be happy till every toon does the same thing and only hits for 100 hp." /facepalm. You can attempt to balance the relative power of toons while still maintaining diversity. As a matter of fact prepare yourself, it's inevitable in these games. In actuality it encourages diversity rather than you must have toons x and y because you'll severely gimp yourself without them.
  • No
    Imo, this is one of the most balanced freemium games i have played, despite being very early in its cycle. Some characters are stronger, sure , but that is natural. Synergies mean that ordinry characters can be excellent in given teams. There are a few characters pushing the boundary, however Once they fix the stats oddity with FOTP(they better) he will be a proper glass cannon again. QGJ has plenty of anti-jedi counters, and Poe's strength mostly derives from the state of the meta. Assuming in time we get more overall damage balance and longer battles, his effectiveness will be reduced
  • Yes
    FOTP
  • No
    This is one of the most balanced games that I have encountered... You have a ton of heroes you can sync with, tons of synergies(nightsisters, sith, jedi, rebel, etc) and it is just a fairly balanced game. I hope no more nerfs come to this game

• No
    I had to vote no based on my experience so far where I haven't seen any that are overpowered. That vote may change in the future though.

• No
    Qeltar wrote: »
    Have a cookie.
    An enemy team getting 14 moves/attacks before you get to move is OP.
    A character hitting for 9,000 damage -- unbuffed! -- when most characters have little more than that is OP.
    If my choices are spending $5000 to buy cookie-cutter OP teams with busted characters or leave the game, I will leave the game.
    This poll is nonsense.

This is a good point, specifically about any character that can do that much damage without any type of buff. No character should be able to almost one hit a majority of other characters.

I haven't seen it happen to me but if it does, that'll be quite annoying.

• Yes
    It is Yoda
  • IG69
    31 posts Member
    Yes and no.
    There are characters that are stronger than others and have better skills and boosts.
    Are they over powered?
    Maybe.
    Anyone can be beaten with the right strategy and the right team. Maybe you don't have the right team. And yes those that choose to end money will be a better team, that's what they paid for. As a f2p I have been annoyed that in the arena I get to a point where I cannot win, but that's the game.

Now are there OP teams in the GW, oh hell yes. My level 60 Phasma is taken out by a team level 54 characters who all have lightning fast attack speed, before she even has a chance to get a shot off. That is the meaning of OP. If 1charater is what is causing you issues then either you have weak strategy or weak characters.

And for the love of God stop complaining about p2p, if game were entirely free then it would suck and there would not be updates and expansion. Those people who pay for better chance at a great team pay the developers who made and maintain this great game. So next time you better thank those people whopay for keeping this game profitable so people like you and I can enjoy a free game
  • JWH
    138 posts Member
    No
    OP is a bad way of saying someone knows how to play a character, or a set of characters, exceptionally well. I'm ranked 37 right now but it's because 36 people are better than me or have better geared toons/teams. I play a defense style game where it might take 2 minutes to kill the first character.

My main question is, why can't a player/team just be good? Instead of saying OP, why not say, "I can get better/beat this team like this/that." Stop perpetuating the 'blame everyone first' mentality and take a little bit of accountability.
  • Yes
    Leia, rey

Thats pretty much it FOTP is not really OP cause he is a glass cannon as well as ig88

However rey and leia are just unfair.
  • No
    I've spent $5 on this game (DS Starter pack) and I don't think any characters are OP. My entire team is all F2P characters and I have yet to find a team at my level in arena / GW that I is so OP that I couldn't possibly beat them. Are there characters that I have to adjust my strategy for? Definitely. Are there teams that I will lose to more often than not? Yep. And those teams as well are mostly F2P characters. Are there characters / combinations that I hope to never see on a team? Yep - but I have still beaten teams that had them. Because this game is so reliant on RNG - to determine first turn, resistance, dodge, etc - there are matches when I've been wiped out before I had a chance to do much of anything...and matches where I've wiped out my opponent's team in the same manner. Sometimes facing the exact same team. To me, "OP" and "broken" would be team at my level that no matter what I did - what combination I brought against them - I had no possible chance. Never had that happen yet.
  • DeathSSlayer
    47 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Yes
    Leia, rey

Thats pretty much it FOTP is not really OP cause he is a glass cannon as well as ig88

However rey and leia are just unfair.

FOTP have more than 11k hp on 60lvl. Glass cannon? Are you kidding? Lol. Ig88 have 7k. But FOTP more fat than any tank in this game. Funny.
  • Kyuu2
    112 posts Member
    Yes
    I put yes, but more because any character that can kill another in one turn is easy to form an OP team with. Maybe individually they are not overpowered characters, but collectively they make the game a lot less fun for the receiving end players. I do manage to defeat these teams in GW as I just reset till the battle starts more in my favor, however relying on winning due to RNG being nice and allowing your characters to survive a turn shouldn't be the way the game is headed in my opinion. I'm not saying battle of attrition is what I want, but there should be more of a balanced play/counter play.

I guess I don't just like rolling the dice and having the first few actions of the match (which you may have zero control over) decide it.
  • No
    Only problem with balance are tanks are generally underpowered. Poe and Han are about the only two worth using. I don't think any character is OP
  • Yes
    Until the day ewok scout is a viable pick on the level of Sidious, Phasma, FOTP... Etc, there will always be OP characters compared to others. It's up to the devs to buff up these characters instead of nerfing.