Grand moff tarkin

Anyone uses him or seems him anywhere in the arena? His base speed is super slow.... But I don't know, maybe with enough speed, and Han taunting early, he could be useful?

Any thoughts?

Humbly,
Josh Mayer
Line id: joshmayer

Replies

• There is one person who uses him in my shard at top 10 but pretty easy to beat so not to sure..
  • He's super slow and his potency leaves a lot to be desired. On the plus side, he does really good damage and when used with EP lead he can be effective with his offense down. Although his aoe sucks. Another plus is that he is by far the easiest toon to get to gear 10. Is he worth it? Kind of. I used him for potency challenge before EP became available. He's somewhat fun to use in GW too.
  • NerdArmy wrote: »
    There is one person who uses him in my shard at top 10 but pretty easy to beat so not to sure..

Which shard are u on? What month? May I know the rest of his squad composition pls... Thanks.
  • He can be quite detrimental to your enemy. Dump speed on him (of course) and I've had his Intimidation Tactics come off cooldown before the enemy gets over their first Offense Down.
  • I used him for a while (I have him maxed out) as an accelerator for Palpatine... in that regard he is great because you can lob out an AE stun at the start. After that his offense down is good and his AE TM reduction is very poor, even if you potency him up that thing just doesn't do anything useful.

It's not rocket surgery.
  • Boxandthefuzz
    362 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    I run a maxed Tarkin in arena with success and usually finish first when available at payout. I like him a lot and find him very effective. Especially against rebels. If the AI used intimidation tactics instead of his aoe first he'd be even better.

http://i.imgur.com/EgIzpfg.jpg
  • Tarkin is a guy with a lot of cool tools that is on the verge of being usefull. If his AOE did Wedge, Lando, or Anakin level damage (~7-8k crits), he would be very good and usable. If he also had more base speed and potency, he would be very very good and desired.
    ☮ Consular ☮ American Rebel Rebel Force (Endor) JedhaYavin IV
  • Time for a rework.... Hehe...
  • I use Tarkin in arena. He's quite effective under Palp lead with STH, at least on offense. On defense, the theory is that Palp's stun will hold off the enemy's first turn while Tarkin wastes his time using his AoE TM reduction skill.
    Tarkin could use a buff to his first special, but he's pretty useful as-is with offense down and deals decent damage with his basic.
  • He works pretty well under Palpatine lead. I use him a bunch in GW. His Offense Down debuff sticks well, which makes Rey a non-issue and is great at cooling off that enemy DPS. Since his TMR on AOE has a 45% proc rate, it usually only hits 1 or 2 enemies and doesn't do much damage, so it seems better to just focus his basic on the key threat.

I don't use him in Arena, he's a little too soft for what you get out of him. If his TMR had a higher proc rate, I might put him in.
  • I like Tarkin in my Empire build. He is probably weak on defense, but gives +28 speed to Palatine and company:

https://youtu.be/oD6s2VOahbM

I often replace him with someone else to do more damage depending on the other team.
    My favorite characters Empire - Sith
  • The biggest problem with Tarkin is that the AI uses his AOE first instead of his offense down.

That being said, his potency is easily cured with Palp lead and a potency cross.

This leaves the problem of speed. He can get some decent speed from mods but with the current insanity of the speed meta, you may be lucky to get a turn in with Tarkin before 2 of your toons are dead.

(I have a max Tarkin and used him in arena for a long time, but simply put: he has too many flaws for arena. You can't fix them well enough with mods.)
  • The biggest problem with Tarkin is that the AI uses his AOE first instead of his offense down.

That being said, his potency is easily cured with Palp lead and a potency cross.

This leaves the problem of speed. He can get some decent speed from mods but with the current insanity of the speed meta, you may be lucky to get a turn in with Tarkin before 2 of your toons are dead.

(I have a max Tarkin and used him in arena for a long time, but simply put: he has too many flaws for arena. You can't fix them well enough with mods.)

Sigh.... Guess the verdict is unanimous
  • Grand muffin is fun in GW plus you gotta think there will be an empire event to unlock Luke. Arena is a stretch, but stacking defuffs for culling blade is a recent obsession of mine. Plus he's got a sweet "mop" on top of his head. #allthewaytoupee
  • I have him at two gear pieces away from gear X. Looking forward to trying him out in arena with my EP, RG and soon to be 6* Vader.
    I heard his AI uses his AoE before intimidating tactics, which isn't that great.
  • Waqui wrote: »
    I have him at two gear pieces away from gear X. Looking forward to trying him out in arena with my EP, RG and soon to be 6* Vader.
    I heard his AI uses his AoE before intimidating tactics, which isn't that great.

The AI might use the offense down ability first on 1/15 or 1/20 tries.

But Tarkin is definitely fun to use. In GW I run Palp, Vader, RG, Tarkin, and my honorary Imperial IG-88.

Most of the time I don't lose protection on any of them.
  • DashRendar wrote: »
    Grand muffin is fun in GW plus you gotta think there will be an empire event to unlock Luke. Arena is a stretch, but stacking defuffs for culling blade is a recent obsession of mine. Plus he's got a sweet "mop" on top of his head. #allthewaytoupee

Umm, if a man were to wear a toupee, he would not wear one that resulted in having a Widows Peak baldness pattern. That is not a toupee, it's simply a receding hairline.