Six and seven dot mods

LordAlvert
1193 posts Member
edited September 2016
For those that have spent hundreds on mods are you going to feel bad when six and seven dot mods are released for free?

Like when b2 was made f2p and I paid $250 for him 3 months ago.

Jawa engineer was also a serious economic devaluation of all of my "investment."

Single biggest reason for wallet closure for me is the power creep which eradicates prior "value."

Replies

• I agree with your statement on devaluation of your investment... i just dont understand, if you have $250 to throw away on 1 toon in a game, why are you worried about it... obviously money is not an issue for you...
  • Yeah the amount of money some people spend on this game is comical. But if I was a millionaire I'm sure I would be running a Rex SF squad right now.
  • Those that have spent in the hundreds, have you never played a freemium game before? You pay the money cause it hooks you and you have the income to spend. How long do you expect your paid characters to stay pay only? I will barely spend 60$ on a tripple A game that took a whole studio with 300 people and 5 years to make. No way I'm spending close to 60$ for a any game with less than that.
  • scuba
    14039 posts Member
    Those that have spent in the hundreds, have you never played a freemium game before? You pay the money cause it hooks you and you have the income to spend. How long do you expect your paid characters to stay pay only? I will barely spend 60$ on a tripple A game that took a whole studio with 300 people and 5 years to make. No way I'm spending close to 60$ for a any game with less than that.

Honestly who cares what others spend their money on....
  • I have not seen a single B2 on my server yet other than the guy who bought him months ago. It is a long process to farm and gear a toon once they are free to farm. Your advantage holds quite a bit longer than the day B2 was released. And if he helped you win some arena matches then he partly paid for himself.

As for free 6/7 dot mods, I think this is the real reason for stalling the new raid release. Mods are such a lottery that the extra mod farming is mostly whale territory. They are giving you a bit of time to enjoy the current advantage.
  • I pretty much decided arena squad aside to wait for 6 and 7 dot mods. Mods don't work in a chain of progression like gear levels and Stars. People are gonna cry like babies when 7* mods become the meta.
  • LordAlvert wrote: »
    For those that have spent hundreds on mods are you going to feel bad when six and seven dot mods are released for free?

Like when b2 was made f2p and I paid $250 for him 3 months ago.

Jawa engineer was also a serious economic devaluation of all of my "investment."

Single biggest reason for wallet closure for me is the power creep which eradicates prior "value."

The only thing you're spending money on this game is Time.
  • who cares? each person can choose how to spend their money.

Those that have spent in the hundreds, have you never played a freemium game before? You pay the money cause it hooks you and you have the income to spend. How long do you expect your paid characters to stay pay only? I will barely spend 60$ on a tripple A game that took a whole studio with 300 people and 5 years to make. No way I'm spending close to 60$ for a any game with less than that.

323 posts Member
    @LordAlvert
    @Olddumper
    No crying here, just excitement! Because I will purchasing those 7* mods as well and will continue to stay on top.
  • i agree with the devaluation observation

all freemium games have devaluation problems, their business models require pushing new content that are relatively better than the old

good 5* mods will still have a place some months after the 6/7* mods, since there is costs and time involved in swapping mods. your secondary toons will just absorb the good 5* mods

the devaluation in toons is much more severe, cg doesn't seem to care how expensive the toons were and how important it is to keep them viable. look at the echo/cody nerf, and the gspy bug, and how fast they bring out aayla and b2.

yea, the ROI is pretty low in this game

note: i bought gspy, it was good for 2 weeks, and then it became irrelevant
  • scuba wrote: »

I don't care how anyone spends their money. But I get annoyed when folks like the OP here complain about having spent that money because now the plebs like us get our dirty, grubby hands on their characters.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • scuba wrote: »

I care because it makes my bracket harder lol jk
  • Unless you bought the kylo pack for $100, you can't understand spending bad in this game...
  • My guess is 5 star mods will be relevant long after 6 and 7 star mods are released.

5 toons out of your entire collection are competing in arena at a given time. The rest matter; for raids, GW, level play if you're not done all of them, etc. ... Plenty of places for the olds mods to go.

I have largely stayed away from new mods recently due to both the coming 7* mods and the fact I joined a T7 guild so I need those credits to star up toons right now.

My arena team continues to be highly competitive, mostly with 3-4* mods. They're not unimportant, but subtle differences between mods are far from the most crucial factor to a toons performance. A toons unique skill set and team synergies out perform mods frequently. Rex's tenacity up and Kit Fisto's potency up are just two examples where the benefit out mods actual mods all day long.

• Barrok wrote: »
    Unless you bought the kylo pack for $100, you can't understand spending bad in this game...

I bought a maxed Tusken Shaman. (Mic drop worthy)
    NicWester wrote: »
    scuba wrote: »

I don't care how anyone spends their money. But I get annoyed when folks like the OP here complain about having spent that money because now the plebs like us get our dirty, grubby hands on their characters.

I'm glad you got the toons. I wish I could spend and get reasonable value. There are some examples. Rex is a notable one. Sun fac as well. I just see the value for spending is poor here. Like @Fat_Beard said above. CG actually treats its spenders awfully. I have gone f2p and never been happier.
  • scuba
    14039 posts Member
    NicWester wrote: »
    scuba wrote: »

Fair enough
  • i have gone f2p (with daily booster pack) for awhile, and felt quite at peace

500 crystals from arena + 100 from pack + ~50 from dailies and login reward mean i could do 2 normal energy refreshes and 2 cantina energy refreshes, and save some for buying the occasional scanner/furnance

but i bought a vault of crystals after deciding to jump in the b2 wagon. b2 is great in almost any team, and he was p2p previously. if i had bought b2 from aurodium i would be sick to the stomach because he was one of the few aurodiums that was actually good

Wedge doesn't count, he was only good after the rework

yea and i bought the emo-kid pack for $100 when i first started. at least they gave you something like 3000 crystals as partial refund of the money spent.
  • I spent too much $ on this game starting out. Still P2P most weeks but being in a good guild gave me focus, which is worth way more than money in this game.

Still like the daily crystal booster though. Good value.
  • These are not investment. investment is something which can give you profit. Here you spend for time shift - you get some toons earlier than whose who hadn't paid. That's it.
  • Vinniarth wrote: »
    These are not investment. investment is something which can give you profit. Here you spend for time shift - you get some toons earlier than whose who hadn't paid. That's it.

While it is true that you pay crystals for "time shift", the time shift is way more important than most ppl realise

Speaking for arena only, all toons have an end of life, after which they become unusuable. Therefore, getting the toon early (~start of his life) means you get to use him longer and get more value out of the millions of credits you invested in leveling up and unlocking, and the rare pieces of gears.

if you get him later, you still pay the same resources, but you use him for a shorter time, making the toon less attractive.

I think Leia is the best illustration of my "end of life" points. She was awesome when she was chromium exclusive. Then she became f2p, at that time she was just good. After the defenec update, she was marginal. finally, when everyone runs AOE meta, she is not arena-viable.

my second point is, being difficult to farm = less ppl have it = your toon is more valuable. This is because winning in the arena depends on how good your team is, relative to others. Rex is a much sought after leader because not many ppl has him, and even fewer ppl have the synergy to run a Rex team.

and i do believe this game is all about investment. you put in resources in some toons, and hope they can earn you some resources (arena coins, guild coins, GW coins). it tests your project management skills, resource allocation skills, and valuation.
  • Fat_Beard wrote: »
    Vinniarth wrote: »
    These are not investment. investment is something which can give you profit. Here you spend for time shift - you get some toons earlier than whose who hadn't paid. That's it.

While it is true that you pay crystals for "time shift", the time shift is way more important than most ppl realise

Speaking for arena only, all toons have an end of life, after which they become unusuable. Therefore, getting the toon early (~start of his life) means you get to use him longer and get more value out of the millions of credits you invested in leveling up and unlocking, and the rare pieces of gears.

if you get him later, you still pay the same resources, but you use him for a shorter time, making the toon less attractive.

I think Leia is the best illustration of my "end of life" points. She was awesome when she was chromium exclusive. Then she became f2p, at that time she was just good. After the defenec update, she was marginal. finally, when everyone runs AOE meta, she is not arena-viable.

my second point is, being difficult to farm = less ppl have it = your toon is more valuable. This is because winning in the arena depends on how good your team is, relative to others. Rex is a much sought after leader because not many ppl has him, and even fewer ppl have the synergy to run a Rex team.

and i do believe this game is all about investment. you put in resources in some toons, and hope they can earn you some resources (arena coins, guild coins, GW coins). it tests your project management skills, resource allocation skills, and valuation.

That's the problem with spending here, toons that will become irrelevant after you've spend on them. Other games don't devaluate your IAP. If you take a look at Clash of Clans i.e. the crystals you spend there have a permanent use and you keep your advantage. Even if a character gets nerfed slightly, it remains meta and remains a worthwhile purchase.

In this game not so much. After your character is outdated, it sits on the bench for months to come and even without this character you would have been able to finish top 3 in arena anyway. The advantage or crystals you net here aren't worthwhile the initial purchase. That's why I went f2p as well after the mod release. There is no reason to spend anymore since f2p catches up faster than in any other freemium game I've played. There is no permanent advantage unfortunately.
    439-259-888 I have a bad habit of editing my typo's after posting