Why we're ready for stun/counter mods

Prev1
JacenRoe
3016 posts Member
edited September 2016
Mods with symbols that looked like the stun and counter symbols were seen in banner adds around the time of the mod event (where we could move mods around for free).

I think we're ready for them for one reason, and that is the AoE meta. I like the current meta. I don't think for a second any toons need a nerf. But one of the theoretical counters to AoEs (a counter attack squad) is too weak to be a real alternate strategy. Many lost their minds thinking about a Rey who could also stun and counter, but looking at the way mods are set up I think they would be great AS A SET BONUS ONLY.

I have absolutely no desire to EVER see 20% stun chance as a secondary stat, or 30% counter chance as a primary. But a +7.5/15% counter chance set bonus for 4 (or something similar) wound be fantastic, and not overpowered for the following reasons:

1. They won't make "OP" toons worse. NOBODY is going to give up a 30% crit damage mod set bonus on Wiggs or Lando for a small chance at a counter. Offense, crit chance, crit damage, and speed compliment what DPS toons do. They won't be enough of a buff to give that up.

2. It will compliment existing toons who do counter, but at a cost. Fives could have 100% counter chance, but he'd give up mod slots that could go to extra health/defense/potency. Any Jedi with no counter ability could be up to 50% with IGD lead, but again at the cost of other mods. Kit Fisto (who's mediocre even after a buff) might be good with 85% counter chance. FOST and Magnaguard might see more use.

These counter strategy toons might become an effective counter to the AoE meta without having to nerf anything. Their speed doesn't matter if they get more free attacks the faster their opponents are. If adjusted right it could expand the meta, and not totally shift/kill it.

Replies

• Mods that add a very small (2.5/5%) stun chance to all attacks make for some interesting options too. Again not something you would put in a DPS toon, but it might augment toons with a current small to mid range stun chance.
  • Zooey
    1607 posts Member
    If stun mods work at a reasonable rate, then they'll only further exacerbate the speed aoe meta (and droids). If they don't stun often, then no one will use them. Counter mods could be good though.
  • Zooey wrote: »
    If stun mods work at a reasonable rate, then they'll only further exacerbate the speed aoe meta (and droids). If they don't stun often, then no one will use them. Counter mods could be good though.

I mention stun mods because they were shown together. Counter chance is what I find most interesting.
  • The tweaks would have to MINOR so they weren't OP. You're right, a Rey with a stun / counter chance would be BRUTAL. but I agree with the AOE meta and the fact it needs a heavy counter (and this is coming from someone who runs Wiggs). This would also take the speed mod meta down a notch. Sure you're fast, but with a squad that has a percentage chance to counter on every AOE it would make some AOE teams think twice.
    Meanwhile, down on the farm....
  • Zooey
    1607 posts Member
    I'd be more interested in a counter damage actually. IGD lead squads already counter at a decent rate, but if you can stack counter damage, they might just outright kill things.
  • pac0naut
    3236 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Zooey wrote: »
    I'd be more interested in a counter damage actually. IGD lead squads already counter at a decent rate, but if you can stack counter damage, they might just outright kill things.

This would make Jedi absolutely viable again depending on who you're facing, plus there could be some anti droid with IGD.
    Meanwhile, down on the farm....
  • I would put stun chance for Lando and everyone would be done....

I don't think this should happen.
  • I can see it now on my droid team. 15% stun chance times 3 AOEs is a 45% chance to stun the whole team. That's only including the AOE. Add in the basic they do and it's even higher.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Dhoey321 wrote: »
    I would put stun chance for Lando and everyone would be done....

I can see it now on my droid team. 15% stun chance times 3 AOEs is a 45% chance to stun the whole team. That's only including the AOE. Add in the basic they do and it's even higher.

Which requires you to give up crit chance and crit damage mods. That's a horrible move. Lando would give up a big chunk of DPS for an insignificant stun chance. Droids as a team would have less of a stun chance as a team than EP by himself at the expense of a HUGE amount of DPS in that opening volley. Bad idea.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Wholf wrote: »
    Nah you just want a 100% chance to 5 man stun with palpatine. No thanks. Bad enough as it is.

The max possible stun chance for the above example would be 85%. Also it would still be 0% against my Yoda. And it would come at the expense of speed, or survivability from other mods. Those mods would be inferior on EP to the other sets now available. They would be fun on Daka though. Or Fives.
  • Ugh...the thought of facing an entire team of count dookus dragging out fights with their counters...
  • irafreak wrote: »
    Ugh...the thought of facing an entire team of count dookus dragging out fights with their counters...

If that thought scares you then how many Wedge lead, Biggs, Lando, Anakin, STHan teams with +100 speed each dropping 20k AoE crits have you faced?

• JacenRoe wrote: »

I can see it now on my droid team. 15% stun chance times 3 AOEs is a 45% chance to stun the whole team. That's only including the AOE. Add in the basic they do and it's even higher.

Which requires you to give up crit chance and crit damage mods. That's a horrible move. Lando would give up a big chunk of DPS for an insignificant stun chance. Droids as a team would have less of a stun chance as a team than EP by himself at the expense of a HUGE amount of DPS in that opening volley. Bad idea.

But if i have a chance to stun your entire team with back to back to back AOE from Lando, include palpatine and JKA and any other AOE characters, the DPS wouldn't matter at that point. I'd do that because you wouldn't be able to attack at all. Again i don't think this should happen.
  • Dhoey321 wrote: »
    JacenRoe wrote: »

But if i have a chance to stun your entire team with back to back to back AOE from Lando, include palpatine and JKA and any other AOE characters, the DPS wouldn't matter at that point. I'd do that because you wouldn't be able to attack at all. Again i don't think this should happen.
    DPS Does in fact matter. You are getting a very small resistable and dispelable stun chance. You are sacrificing ENOURMOUS damage. I also have a team in this senario. And your stun chance is actually 0% against my 257 speed Yoda giving me buff immunity first turn.

If you'd rather give up 15-20k on your AoEs for a very small chance at a stun that I'll be immune to anyhow... Go ahead. You'll be that much easier to beat.
  • Specter0010
    236 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    Tag mods. A full 6 set to make a toon be all tags?

Lando a droid...
  • I hope not. Mods should enhance already existing skills and stats, not give characters new ones. If a character can't stun of counter now, they shouldn't get the ability from a mod.
  • Galdin_Wan wrote: »
    I hope not. Mods should enhance already existing skills and stats, not give characters new ones. If a character can't stun of counter now, they shouldn't get the ability from a mod.

If a character can't stun or counter it's not much of a bonus. It's helpful though for toons who already have those abilities, but at too low of a rate.

Galdin_Wan wrote: »
    I hope not. Mods should enhance already existing skills and stats, not give characters new ones. If a character can't stun of counter now, they shouldn't get the ability from a mod.

If a character can't stun or counter it's not much of a bonus. It's helpful though for toons who already have those abilities, but at too low of a rate.

You could also set these mods ups so that they can only enhance an existing ability (e.g., only characters with a chance to counter attack benefit from counter mods; only characters with a chance to stun benefit from stun mods).

And I agree that if they ever release counter or stun mods they should be limited to set bonuses. I think that's somewhat likely anyhow since it's far easier to release new set bonuses than new secondary stats.

• scuba
    14044 posts Member
    Well based on datamined info they were extra turn and retribution mods
    X% chance to gain 100%TM
    X% chance to gain retribution for x turns
  • Does anyone have any pictures of what these mods look like, or where the datamined info is from?
  • scuba
    14044 posts Member
    Does anyone have any pictures of what these mods look like, or where the datamined info is from?

I will share the info on extra turn in a bit, I have to find the file it was in.
    Retribution it didn't give as exact details but I think it was along those lines ls.
  • Ace97302 wrote: »
    Galdin_Wan wrote: »

You could also set these mods ups so that they can only enhance an existing ability (e.g., only characters with a chance to counter attack benefit from counter mods; only characters with a chance to stun benefit from stun mods).

And I agree that if they ever release counter or stun mods they should be limited to set bonuses. I think that's somewhat likely anyhow since it's far easier to release new set bonuses than new secondary stats.

I like the idea of them only augmenting existing abilities.
  • scuba
    14044 posts Member
    Does anyone have any pictures of what these mods look like, or where the datamined info is from?

This is image from I think mod appreciation event. Many believe the one on the cross and Diamond are stun
    Screenshot_2016_07_23_11_19_37.png
  • scuba wrote: »

This is image from I think mod appreciation event. Many believe the one on the cross and Diamond are stun

Alright thanks. They may be limited to only 1 primary though, like crits/potency/whatever, if they are not only set bonuses IMO.
  • Stun mods? This will not make the AOE heroes are even more terrible? Lando and JKA could stun a whole team!

DPS Does in fact matter. You are getting a very small resistable and dispelable stun chance. You are sacrificing ENOURMOUS damage. I also have a team in this senario. And your stun chance is actually 0% against my 257 speed Yoda giving me buff immunity first turn.

If you'd rather give up 15-20k on your AoEs for a very small chance at a stun that I'll be immune to anyhow... Go ahead. You'll be that much easier to beat.

If the chance is that small for stun then we shouldn't even have them
  • Actually the stun icons are bonus attack chance source: data mining
    BECAUSE I'M BATMAN - me
  • scuba
    14044 posts Member
    edited September 2016
    scuba wrote: »

Alright thanks. They may be limited to only 1 primary though, like crits/potency/whatever, if they are not only set bonuses IMO.

"Datamined Info"
    This has all been in the game files for a while
    ABILITY_MODSET_EXTRATURN_COMPLETESET_DESC|Provides a 20% chance to gain 100% Turn Meter upon turn completion.
    ABILITY_MODSET_EXTRATURN_COMPLETESET_NAME|Mod Set Bonus: Reverb
    ABILITY_MODSET_EXTRATURN_COMPLETESET_SHORT|+20% Extra Turn Chance

STATMODSETBONUS_SETBONUSABILITY_EXTRATURN_NAME|Extra Turn
    STATMODSETBONUS_SETBONUSSTAT_ACCURACY_NAME|Potency
    STATMODSETBONUS_SETBONUSSTAT_COUNTERATTACKRATING_NAME|Retribution
    STATMODSETBONUS_SETBONUSSTAT_CRITICALCHANCEPERCENTADDITIVE_NAME|Critical Chance
    STATMODSETBONUS_SETBONUSSTAT_CRITICALDAMAGE_NAME|Critical Damage
    STATMODSETBONUS_SETBONUSSTAT_DEFENSEPERCENTADDITIVE_NAME|Defense
    STATMODSETBONUS_SETBONUSSTAT_MAXHEALTHPERCENTADDITIVE_NAME|Health
    STATMODSETBONUS_SETBONUSSTAT_MAXSHIELDPERCENTADDITIVE_NAME|Protection
    STATMODSETBONUS_SETBONUSSTAT_OFFENSEPERCENTADDITIVE_NAME|Offense
    STATMODSETBONUS_SETBONUSSTAT_RESISTANCE_NAME|Tenacity
    STATMODSETBONUS_SETBONUSSTAT_SPEEDPERCENTADDITIVE_NAME|Speed

• scuba wrote: »
    scuba wrote: »

"Datamined Info"
    ABILITY_MODSET_EXTRATURN_COMPLETESET_DESC|Provides a 20% chance to gain 100% Turn Meter upon turn completion.
    ABILITY_MODSET_EXTRATURN_COMPLETESET_NAME|Mod Set Bonus: Reverb
    ABILITY_MODSET_EXTRATURN_COMPLETESET_SHORT|+20% Extra Turn Chance

STATMODSETBONUS_SETBONUSABILITY_EXTRATURN_NAME|Extra Turn
    STATMODSETBONUS_SETBONUSSTAT_ACCURACY_NAME|Potency
    STATMODSETBONUS_SETBONUSSTAT_COUNTERATTACKRATING_NAME|Retribution
    STATMODSETBONUS_SETBONUSSTAT_CRITICALCHANCEPERCENTADDITIVE_NAME|Critical Chance
    STATMODSETBONUS_SETBONUSSTAT_CRITICALDAMAGE_NAME|Critical Damage
    STATMODSETBONUS_SETBONUSSTAT_DEFENSEPERCENTADDITIVE_NAME|Defense
    STATMODSETBONUS_SETBONUSSTAT_MAXHEALTHPERCENTADDITIVE_NAME|Health
    STATMODSETBONUS_SETBONUSSTAT_MAXSHIELDPERCENTADDITIVE_NAME|Protection
    STATMODSETBONUS_SETBONUSSTAT_OFFENSEPERCENTADDITIVE_NAME|Offense
    STATMODSETBONUS_SETBONUSSTAT_RESISTANCE_NAME|Tenacity
    STATMODSETBONUS_SETBONUSSTAT_SPEEDPERCENTADDITIVE_NAME|Speed

As long as its not giving character a stun chance when they aren't a stun character like in the original post