Now that mining droids are no more, do you ever sell anything?

Replies

• Quicksilver
    1175 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Snowblood wrote: »
    I have tons of useless gear but am afraid to sell it as other have mentioned. What about a way to trade unused gear for a piece of needed gear? This would make all of the dead gear more interesting/fun to collect & trade.

this is a fantastic idea

trade like 10 bad gears for 1 good gear (or knowing this games ratios, trade 10,000 bad gears for 1 good gear lol)
  • If the sell function is useless it is because it was made that way by paltry amounts of credits offered up. Seems like a real hamfisted way of dealing with things to just up and scrap it instead of taking the logical approach and adjust the numbers a bit. It was obviously intended to be used to sell items and gear or the sale of anything other than mining droids wouldn't be allowed. Players are already on the path to having more materials than we will ever need no matter how many characrers are eventually added. So why get rid of an avenue to create a little bit more credits? All that really needs to be done is to adjust the numbers to a reasonable level. The amounts as they are now are not reasonable.

I highly doubt the key card battles are being used all that much as well. Are you going to nix that too? It is the same deal. All that needs to be done is to make it viable by adjusting a few numbers. In the case of key card battles it is simply reduce the amount of energy required and up the reward slightly. It is a waste of energy to use them now for so little reward.

In both cases it isn't a matter of nobody wanting to use these functions. It is a matter of no value. So change the value.

You are willing to discuss an inventory system that would be redundant since you can already see what you have and how many more you need. That too would be clutter as it serves a purpose already handled in game. So instead of getting rid of the sell function. Just make it viable. It really is that simple and it worries me that the conclusion reached was to just get rid of it.

Furthermore, cosmetic things like this is somethi ng that should be looked in to after you nail down things that actually need to be addressed like characters with skills that have never worked from the get go. If the targeting bug isn't considered a bug by you, then it is a feature. Well it is a terrible feature that I have yet to see anyone happy about. So if we are just up and scrapping features nobody has use for then I suspect that the musical chairs targeting feature is on the list of things to get axed as well. Right?

• Aggropox wrote: »
    If the sell function is useless it is because it was made that way by paltry amounts of credits offered up. Seems like a real hamfisted way of dealing with things to just up and scrap it instead of taking the logical approach and adjust the numbers a bit. It was obviously intended to be used to sell items and gear or the sale of anything other than mining droids wouldn't be allowed. Players are already on the path to having more materials than we will ever need no matter how many characrers are eventually added. So why get rid of an avenue to create a little bit more credits? All that really needs to be done is to adjust the numbers to a reasonable level. The amounts as they are now are not reasonable.

I highly doubt the key card battles are being used all that much as well. Are you going to nix that too? It is the same deal. All that needs to be done is to make it viable by adjusting a few numbers. In the case of key card battles it is simply reduce the amount of energy required and up the reward slightly. It is a waste of energy to use them now for so little reward.

In both cases it isn't a matter of nobody wanting to use these functions. It is a matter of no value. So change the value.

You are willing to discuss an inventory system that would be redundant since you can already see what you have and how many more you need. That too would be clutter as it serves a purpose already handled in game. So instead of getting rid of the sell function. Just make it viable. It really is that simple and it worries me that the conclusion reached was to just get rid of it.

Furthermore, cosmetic things like this is somethi ng that should be looked in to after you nail down things that actually need to be addressed like characters with skills that have never worked from the get go. If the targeting bug isn't considered a bug by you, then it is a feature. Well it is a terrible feature that I have yet to see anyone happy about. So if we are just up and scrapping features nobody has use for then I suspect that the musical chairs targeting feature is on the list of things to get axed as well. Right?

Agree.

Fixing bugs is more important that the sell button.
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • Okay. Since not everyone is reading all the info, let me recap...
    1. Mining Droids were causing confusion in some players. They didn't understand they had to go to the Sell screen to, well, sell them. As a result, they didn't get the benefit of them.
    2. Further, when people did go to the Sell screen to sell the MD's, they would occasionally sell the high end Training Droids because they looked a bit similar.
    3. Solution: eliminate Mining Droids and just award the relevant Credits. For any players who have MD's when the update goes live, we'll give them an Inbox message to explain the change and then grant them the relevant number of Credits.
    4. Once that was done, the Sell screen became virtually useless. It's another button, another screen, and as we build out the game further, we want to trim down where possible so the game isn't overwhelming to new players and also so we don't waste time testing parts of the game which are basically useless.
    5. Further, for people who want to know how much they have of a given item, the coming update will solve that, but in a much better way. Now, whenever you're interacting with an item, you'll see how much of that item you own.
    6. Given that, the Sell screen becomes even more useless.
    7. So... after just a few minutes of work, we eliminated that Sell button, cleaned up the cantina screen a bit, and removed a useless screen.

But... what about all the bugs? Well, we've fixed a ton of bugs in the upcoming release. Will we wipe out each and every bug you care about? I hope so. That's a key goal.

Walking through the above, I hope things are a bit clearer as to how the Sell button removal came about, and our rationale for making the change.

However, taking a step back, there were many asks for us to be even more transparent about upcoming changes. This is a tiny change both in terms of the work it took and the impact to the players, but I'm finding some folks still want to be upset about it. Or question how we prioritize our work. Or ask how we can do A if we haven't yet done B. Etc.

So... should we be having these types of discussions before the release? I'm honestly not sure. I took this thread that @Omnirhyze started as an opportunity to try it out. Results are mixed, IMO.

Also...
    Aggropox wrote: »
    I highly doubt the key card battles are being used all that much as well. Are you going to nix that too?

Yes, actually. I mentioned this in my New Years Day announcement. The Key Card Events are being replaced by a much better Events system in the next update.
  • Turam wrote: »
    Ztyle wrote: »
    I use the sell button to se what I have of items, like to have something like that in the toon menu

Agree with this
    I won't mind if the Sell button is removed, but we'd need an inventory button on the character screen in replacement

As the game will continue to grow and become more complex, we look for ways to simplify as well.

For those of you who have been playing a while, that's not a big concern I expect. But we always have to remember the people who are installing the game today and seeing the game for the first time. We don't want to overwhelm folks and scare them away. :)

Selling things besides the Mining Droids is rarely used, and understandably so. Now that those droids don't need to be sold, the screen has lost its purpose.

So, a question: if you can know how many of a given item you have at every point when you interact with that item, why would you also need an inventory screen? Meaning: when you're crafting, or you see the item is a possible reward, or win the item, if you can tap on it and see how many you own isn't that enough?

Good point. What I do miss is a chancento know WHO ELSE needs this part. Many times I upgrade thenwrong char, ornunderestimate how many need, as I need to randomlymgo over chars tonsee whi else needs a very scarce part.

• Good point. What I do miss is a chancento know WHO ELSE needs this part. Many times I upgrade thenwrong char, ornunderestimate how many need, as I need to randomlymgo over chars tonsee whi else needs a very scarce part.

We've got you covered in the next update. :)
  • Song
    863 posts Member
    this shouldn't even worth to make a thread about this.. who would sell the stuff? it doesn't worth anything..

You still need those low level stuff because you still need to do the daily quest "equip a gear".
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    @CG_JohnSalera I'm very happy that you take the time to address issues like these in common threads. Speaks volumes about your philosophy as developers. Kudos to you for that. I hope the impatience of a few will not be disheartening. Can't have an open forum without some flak. Well, haters gonna hate. I look forward to the next update even more now!
  • Good point. What I do miss is a chancento know WHO ELSE needs this part. Many times I upgrade thenwrong char, ornunderestimate how many need, as I need to randomlymgo over chars tonsee whi else needs a very scarce part.

We've got you covered in the next update. :)

Awesome. That's a great addition.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    1. Mining Droids were causing confusion in some players. They didn't understand they had to go to the Sell screen to, well, sell them. As a result, they didn't get the benefit of them.
    2. Further, when people did go to the Sell screen to sell the MD's, they would occasionally sell the high end Training Droids because they looked a bit similar.
    3. Solution: eliminate Mining Droids and just award the relevant Credits. For any players who have MD's when the update goes live, we'll give them an Inbox message to explain the change and then grant them the relevant number of Credits.
    4. Once that was done, the Sell screen became virtually useless. It's another button, another screen, and as we build out the game further, we want to trim down where possible so the game isn't overwhelming to new players and also so we don't waste time testing parts of the game which are basically useless.
    5. Further, for people who want to know how much they have of a given item, the coming update will solve that, but in a much better way. Now, whenever you're interacting with an item, you'll see how much of that item you own.
    6. Given that, the Sell screen becomes even more useless.
    7. So... after just a few minutes of work, we eliminated that Sell button, cleaned up the cantina screen a bit, and removed a useless screen.
    So you've already removed the button. You only asked us about it 24 hours ago, and on a Sunday night, so was the decision already made at that point?

John, there's something missing from your list: selling excess gear items. Your claim that the removal of mining droids made the Sell screen "virtually useless" really depends on the definition of "virtually".
    Many of us have items piling up by the hundreds. You've already said you have no plan to make a use for them, so removing the option of us selling them for credits is IMO not really a great solution.
    If the sell function is useless it is because it was made that way by paltry amounts of credits offered up. Seems like a real hamfisted way of dealing with things to just up and scrap it instead of taking the logical approach and adjust the numbers a bit. It was obviously intended to be used to sell items and gear or the sale of anything other than mining droids wouldn't be allowed. Players are already on the path to having more materials than we will ever need no matter how many characrers are eventually added. So why get rid of an avenue to create a little bit more credits? All that really needs to be done is to adjust the numbers to a reasonable level. The amounts as they are now are not reasonable.

That's pretty much it, and I'm disappointed that it seems like the decision to remove this was already made, and there's no plan to replace it with anything.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Qeltar wrote: »
    Qeltar wrote: »
    Values won't be raised, as selling is going away.

Make sense?

Okay. Is there a plan for what I can do with my 259 Mk 1 Blastech Weapon Mods?
    Even the Tier 1 and Tier ability materials, I have hundreds more than I will ever need.

Currently, no. Beyond, of course their use in any low level characters you have or will have in he future. You can get them through their early progression with those (depending on the gear recipe).

They are dropping in excessive and unbalanced numbers. I have hundreds of some items I never use, while I am perpetually short of other low-level items like Mark 1 armor mods and have to go farm them for new characters.
    If you do not plan to give us any use for these things, then I revise my answer to "please do not remove the sell interface". Put reasonable sell prices on these bits and pieces and then we can get some more credits to help with other things. Better than nothing.

Hey...matches real life. Hiw many times you had a chance to date people you disn't have much use for. Dropnrates sky high. Yeah, on the opposing side drop rated for Megan Fox suck. Just like your Address Book, you'll only end up regularly using 20 out of the other thousand there.

• @Qeltar if you have them piling up by the hundreds, why haven't you sold them?

And, yes, the decision was made quite a while ago. The tiny bit of work to remove it is already done.

I was previewing the change with you guys.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    @Qeltar if you have them piling up by the hundreds, why haven't you sold them?
    Because the prices are very low, and I hoped they would be improved, or even better, that some other use would be made for them (such as combining them for a chance at a higher-level item, like many games do).
    I was previewing the change with you guys.

Okay, I guess I misunderstood, it sounded to me like you were asking if we thought this was a good idea... but the deed is already done. At any rate, still better to have advance knowledge than not.
    Thanks.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Nope, you didn't misunderstand at all. He absolutely said "thoughts/concerns" and when concerns were brought up he slipped in a passive agressive suggestion that communicating with us about issues prior to release might not be a good idea. Essentially that tells me that he didn't actually want to hear about any concerns.

The reality of it is that they sell credits for crystals and that is why raising the values was never on the table.

Nope, you didn't misunderstand at all. He absolutely said "thoughts/concerns" and when concerns were brought up he slipped in a passive agressive suggestion that communicating with us about issues prior to release might not be a good idea. Essentially that tells me that he didn't actually want to hear about any concerns.

The reality of it is that they sell credits for crystals and that is why raising the values was never on the table.

Passive aggressive? Odd. Not what I was thinking or feeling. Sorry if it came across that way.

I am truly wondering if this kind of preview can work. After the GW change, a common theme was: "You should have told us this was coming."

I was using this thread as an experiment to see how that type of communication would work. I'm not sure if it's a good thing yet.

Quite possibly I'm just not doing it the right way. :)

And, yes, reworking the Credit pricing structure for the items wasn't on the table as that would require a pretty major overhaul to the economy (and not for the reason you mention).
    Nope, you didn't misunderstand at all. He absolutely said "thoughts/concerns" and when concerns were brought up he slipped in a passive agressive suggestion that communicating with us about issues prior to release might not be a good idea. Essentially that tells me that he didn't actually want to hear about any concerns.

Passive aggressive? Odd. Not what I was thinking or feeling. Sorry if it came across that way.

I am truly wondering if this kind of preview can work. After the GW change, a common theme was: "You should have told us this was coming."

I was using this thread as an experiment to see how that type of communication would work. I'm not sure if it's a good thing yet.

And, yes, reworking the Credit pricing structure for the items wasn't on the table as that would require a pretty major overhaul to the economy (and not for the reason you mention).

No matter what you do people are going to complain. I wouldn't worry about it.

I reckon the change will have more pros than cons, so I will be looking forward to it
  • Maybe passive agressive wasn't the right term and I apoligize, John.

I don't have an issue with the change so much as I have an issue with the approach. It is a moot point since it is as good as done at this point. I appreciate that you made the comment and do not want you to stop doing so, but criticism will happen sometimes. Otherwise I am happy and very much enjoying the game you all have put forth.

Again, I am sorry I labeled it as passive aggressive as you don't deserve to be treated that way.
  • No worries. If it came across to you that way, it may have seemed the same to others. Thanks for pointing it out. ;)
  • Quicksilver
    1175 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    thanks a lot for all the interaction CG_JohnSalera, i've never played a mobile game where I could actually talk to the devs and make suggestions, and actually have them possibly happen, so kudos to you and EA. Its exciting to the average player to get to make suggestions, hear about upcoming changes/additions and things like that, which is why I enjoy coming here. Obviously there are always people who will complain but you shouldnt let that detract you from discussing changes, thats the point I guess, to get feedback whether its positive or negative.

In regards to getting rid of the sell button, I know its already been decided, but I think most people would really use this feature a lot if the sell values were adjusted a bit to make it worthwhile, selling things is important, but when you get next to nothing back from selling its not worth it, its not the sell feature thats the issue its the value of the selling

hopefully with this removed though, you guys can think of a new system of combining low level gears for higher level gears so those extra pieces can at least be of some value
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    Well... In the long term perspective, increasing the rewards output means that players level up quicker and empty the game of objectives quicker. In-game economy is a huge thing to consider whenever new levels of rewards are introduced.

The credits set a pace for how fast you can star and level up your toons. I'm sure it ties in with the pace you earn shards and ability mats as well. Change one thing and in the long run you'll face a bigger and bigger imbalance.

And we all know that if a reward rate is increased (for example credits) there's no way to decrease it again without a bunch of players going bananas.
  • @CG_JohnSalera

Echo @Quicksilver 's thoughts on being able to engage developers and grow with the game. That's a great new interface that's a lot of fun.

Look forward to the next update and to see how meta changes in arena as well as the new modes of game.

I, for one, don't have a strong opinion on the sell interface, so looking forward to seeing how you'll improve the game.

I'm curious on how the extra shard issue is resolved, as I had some thoughts on it earlier on.

• @CG_JohnSalera - I too would like to say I am happy with the amount of feedback and interaction provided in regards to this thread.

I thought it was stated pretty clearly that the plan was to remove the sell function. I believe the misunderstanding occurred because the change was implemented so rapidly and shortly after the request for feedback was initiated.

I am not sure though why some people are upset that the Devs asked for our "thoughts/concerns?" about a change that was going to/had been made. The majority of this forum is exactly that, players providing feedback on game mechanics and responding to changes that have occurred.

Lastly, I think (doing a little mind reading) this was a way for the Devs to get feedback from active players about a function to determine if there was something they may have missed, i.e. will they lose players if the change is made. There were definitely ideas and suggestions for altering it, but no real overpowering reason that it needed to stay. So I lose a few credits or end up with a thousand MK whatever's in my inventory, not that big a deal.
  • I bet everyone who has 856 mk1 whatevers is regretting this thread now lol. "Yea get rid of it, we'll never need it, not in a million years...."

Thanks, but I'll take the credits instead...

Hear Hear! +100
  • I think this is ea/Disney's way of screwing us into buying more crystals(credits)...

Thanks, but you're not really doing anyone the favor that youre pretending to do.
  • Whoa.
    Username1 wrote: »
    I think this is ea/Disney's way of screwing us into buying more crystals(credits)...

Thanks, but you're not really doing anyone the favor that youre pretending to do.

You do know this thread is from January, right?
  • ChefHaze
    628 posts Member
    Username1 wrote: »
    I bet everyone who has 856 mk1 whatevers is regretting this thread now lol. "Yea get rid of it, we'll never need it, not in a million years...."

Thanks, but I'll take the credits instead...

If you were around to know what it was actually like, you'd know that selling the thousands of extra gear you have would probably still just leave you with less than 30k credits. It was worthless then and it would probably be worthless now.

Bull ****.
  • Username1 wrote: »

Bull ****.

Dude, just stop.
  • darkensoul
    1309 posts Member
    A bit of foreshadowing on John's part in this thread.
This discussion has been closed.